• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Completion Certificate

Shobbytanoli

Time of past OR future Camino
July, 2024
Hello everyone, Not sure where to post this question so i am posting it in miscellaneous. When you finish the Camino , do you get your certificate the same day ? And at what time? Is it a designated time ? I am trying to figure out if i should leave an extra day in to fly back as i create my itinerary. If the question has already been posted and answered somewhere on here, please redirect me . Thank you all

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
By "completion certificate" I assume you mean the Compostela. The pilgrim office is open 9am to 7pm. They ask you to provide your details online in advance - links to register on the pilgrim office website. You can collect the Compostela on the day you arrive or later if you wish. Most people report only having to wait a few minutes at the pilgrim office now the computerised system is in place.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
By "completion certificate" I assume you mean the Compostela. The pilgrim office is open 9am to 7pm. They ask you to provide your details online in advance - links to register on the pilgrim office website. You can collect the Compostela on the day you arrive or later if you wish. Most people report only having to wait a few minutes at the pilgrim office now the computerised system is in place.

Thank you so much

Will it still count if you don't collect the certificate?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Will it still count if you don't collect the certificate?
Will what still count?

You completing your pilgrimage can’t be put on the record unless a volunteer or staffer in the Pilgrims Office in SdC checks your credential for the sellos, stamps it and ‘closes’ it. This can’t be done by just completing a form online to get a QR code ahead of the visit to the Pilgrims Office. You are handed the compostela, but the distance certificate is optional.

(I may be misunderstanding your question)

Last edited:
Will what still count?

You completing your pilgrimage can’t be put on the record unless a volunteer or staffer in the Pilgrims Office in SdC checks your credential for the sellos, stamps it and ‘closes’ it. This can’t be done by just completing a form online to get a QR code ahead of the visit to the Pilgrims Office. You are handed the compostela, but the distance certificate is optional.

(I may be misunderstanding your question)
If you don't bother to collect the certificate thingy, will you still have completed a Pilgrimage, or a Camino?

I'm simply pointing out that the compostela, like the distance certificate, is optional.

If you don't bother to collect the certificate thingy, will you still have completed a Pilgrimage, or a Camino?

I'm simply pointing out that the compostela, like the distance certificate, is optional.

“Will it still count” is a bit of an ambiguous question, rhetorical or otherwise. “Will it still count” as in ‘on record’? No. “Will it still count” as in will it be counted in the pilgrim numbers read out at the start of the mass in the Cathedral in SdC? No. “Will it still count” as in the pilgrim knows what they achieved? Yes, of course.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I still recommend staying at least overnight. You can get a lot more of the flavor of Santiago that way. Don't be in such a rush to leave.

Enjoy your accomplishment. Savor the moment. Remember, the feelings have to last - until the next time.

Visiting Santiago de Compostela is like peeling an onion - there is always another layer.

I'm doing 45 day camino; I wonder, how many stamps can fit in your credential? should I save space for the minimum of 2 in the last 100km, or should I stamp away ? Also, I'm doing it for "spiritual" reasons, not exactly religious, can I still get the Compostela ? I understand is only for religious reasons and I don't want to lie on my registration online

Almost everything in life, excluding death, is optional.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm doing 45 day camino; I wonder, how many stamps can fit in your credential?

Depends on which credential you use but in general, over 45 days, probably not. That is okay though, just use two credentials or a spare piece of paper to collect those extra stamps.

should I save space for the minimum of 2 in the last 100km, or should I stamp away ?

Stamp away!

Also, I'm doing it for "spiritual" reasons, not exactly religious, can I still get the Compostela ?

Absolutely

I understand is only for religious reasons and I don't want to lie on my registration online

I'm doing 45 day camino; I wonder, how many stamps can fit in your credential? should I save space for the minimum of 2 in the last 100km, or should I stamp away ?
Do you already have your credential? There are many Camino associations around the world, and they each issue a slightly different credential as far as the artwork and number of stamps that they hold. Last year I used a credential from the Portuguese association, and it held 64 stamps. My credentials from American Pilgrims and the one issued by the cathedral in Santiago each hold 56 stamps.

If you like collecting the stamps you my want a second (or third) credential.
Also, I'm doing it for "spiritual" reasons, not exactly religious, can I still get the Compostela ? I understand is only for religious reasons and I don't want to lie on my registration online
The reasons listed on the pre-registration form are Not Religious, Other, and Religious. Don't worry, you will qualify if you have walked at least the final 100 km.

Do you already have your credential? There are many Camino associations around the world, and they each issue a slightly different credential as far as the artwork and number of stamps that they hold. Last year I used a credential from the Portuguese association, and it held 64 stamps. My credentials from American Pilgrims and the one issued by the cathedral in Santiago each hold 56 stamps.

If you like collecting the stamps you my want a second (or third) credential.

The reasons listed on the pre-registration form are Not Religious, Other, and Religious. Don't worry, you will qualify if you have walked at least the final 100 km.
Depends on which credential you use but in general, over 45 days, probably not. That is okay though, just use two credentials or a spare piece of paper to collect those extra stamps.

Stamp away!

Absolutely
Thanks for your answers!

I do not have my credential yet, I will get it at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.
But perfect, now I know I can get a second one and stamp happily along the way :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm doing 45 day camino; I wonder, how many stamps can fit in your credential? should I save space for the minimum of 2 in the last 100km, or should I stamp away ? Also, I'm doing it for "spiritual" reasons, not exactly religious, can I still get the Compostela ? I understand is only for religious reasons and I don't want to lie on my registration online
The correct answer is: infinite. Whatever your credential, you can create and add gridded out pages to it. It gets full; just add more pages using plain paper and grid them out with pen. For me, I get an American Pilgrims on the Camino credential. I use a pen grid out all of the extraneous pages that come with it: maps, verbiage, cover and last page. I do, however, save the last "official" square formy last stamp in Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.