• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credential and concha

Striderc8

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
I am starting the Camino Frances at Easter and I had naively assumed I could pick up a credential and a concha from the Pilgrim's Office at St Jean Pied de Port. Having read some of the other threads I am beginning to panic that I should have ordered one from my home country (UK). I do have a shell I could drill some holes in but what is the usual practice? If I have to buy them/ donate what roughly is the cost?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can get a credential at the Pilgrim Office. Every store in town will sell you a shell. You don't have a problem...

Buen camino.

Striderc8 said:
I am starting the Camino Frances at Easter and I had naively assumed I could pick up a credential and a concha from the Pilgrim's Office at St Jean Pied de Port. Having read some of the other threads I am beginning to panic that I should have ordered one from my home country (UK). I do have a shell I could drill some holes in but what is the usual practice? If I have to buy them/ donate what roughly is the cost?

Striderc8,

In Saint-Jean the office for the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with a Credential, a pilgrim shell and lodging assistance. Their volunteers also help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. Their Credential costs approximately 1 Euro (if I remember correctly) and it is appropriate to give a small donation for the shell. If you wish you could prepare your own shell marker from the one you have now.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you for your responses. Obviously I don't need to worry. I booked my flights yesterday so it's all getting scarily and excitingly close!
Regards
Cate

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
Hi everyone! I'm planning to start on the Camino de Francés, then from Léon I will walk the Camino San Salvador, then the Camino Primitivo and maybe if I have time the Camino de Fisterra. My...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.