• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cross on camino

Pasha

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago may 2018
I have seen pictures of a cross drooped with what look like people's personal items.. can anyone tell me more about this? I presume people leave something behind when walking but what's the meaning behind it?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Pasha, I don't know which particular cross you mean but you will find many shrines and crosses along the Camino and just about all of them have offerings of some sort left by them - the common being adding a stone and/or a small cross made out of twigs .. then you will see a single boot - why one boot? no idea at all!!

I think you mean the Cruz de Hierro in Foncebadón. It has stones piled up and lots of personal bits and pieces. People leave the stones as a symbol of unburdening themselves from problems and sins. They are usually small stones brought from home, although I did see many big rocks there too, which I assume were local! The memorabilia are sometimes mementoes of people who have died, or just fun souvenirs. It means whatever you choose it to mean.

P1000451.JPG

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Pasha, I don't know which particular cross you mean but you will find many shrines and crosses along the Camino and just about all of them have offerings of some sort left by them - the common being adding a stone and/or a small cross made out of twigs .. then you will see a single boot - why one boot? no idea at all!!
Thanks David... a girl I know walked from sarria and she sent me a picture I'll try send it if I can find it but it seemed more like scarfs or that kind of thing I'll try find it

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Attachments

• IMG_1153.PNG
    IMG_1153.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh that is another cross. Some of the ones you see may be a place where someone died. It then becomes a mini version of the Cruz de Hierro. There are tons of places where people make informal shrines, artworks and other 'interventions' in the landscape. I found it extremely nice to see them all. You feel all the people who went before you. There is no overall meaning or purpose. It's just human nature to add something to a shrine, has been since prehistory.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Cruz the Ferro and this thing about leaving stuff on it really is not an ancient tradition but something that came along with the touristy development of the Camino. It is now a mess left for the locals to clean up. Same goes for the burning of clothese in Fisterra (which is actually illegal).

There will be of sweatdrops left as you walk, footprints as well, candles to be lit in churches. 300 000 people do not need to each leave a momento of their passage on the Caminos.

Leaving no traces is probably the most meaningful proof of one's connection to, and understanding of, the Camino.

As a Ditch-Pig Cleanup Busybody, I've cleared up tons of left-behind "mementos" on the camino. I've been confronted by people who consider this a desecration of their sacred offering at a sacred place.
IMHO, once you leave Uncle Fred's shoelace among the busted boots and neon Crocs and faded ribbons on the trail, you've just added more junk to the eyesore. One man's holy relic is another man's refuse. It's not going to stay there forever.
Be prepared, Scouts.

As a Ditch-Pig Cleanup Busybody, I've cleared up tons of left-behind "mementos" on the camino. I've been confronted by people who consider this a desecration of their sacred offering at a sacred place.
IMHO, once you leave Uncle Fred's shoelace among the busted boots and neon Crocs and faded ribbons on the trail, you've just added more junk to the eyesore. One man's holy relic is another man's refuse. It's not going to stay there forever.
Be prepared, Scouts.
That is such a coincidence Rebekah.. I was literally just reading a thread where your name popped up twice.. I was about to check out "living the dream" then your comment came thru
I will take all said into consideration tho

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hummm... when are the DPs going out this year? And how much walking is there a day? Certainly less than walking. Maybe my bad knee would like to go to Spain and clean up a tad...

Be prepared, Scouts.

Here, here. Well said. I thought about you today, Rebekah, as I did a ditch-pig operation at the state park where I work. As I completely cleaned an off-road toilet area of all that stuff, grimacing, I thought, "I'm a Ditch Pig!" and that ain't all bad.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"I'm a Ditch Pig!" and that ain't all bad.

Welcome to the club @CaminoDebrita :) Ditch Pig status is worth having. Its what they used to call me when I was a kid because of who I was and how we lived. Ditch-pig, scum, low-life and plenty of other names and terms I won't post here because that abuse of language is dead or at least dieing. I got proud to be a Ditch Pig and I got prouder still when I met Reb and when we were down there in the ditches, hauling it out. And I realised that I could do what many have done before - claim my name. My brother got a bit mad at me when he heard me call myself Ditch Pig but then he listened as I told him why - and then he laughed. And then we took a couple of bags out along the back lanes to his local pub and we 'Pigged' it and we put the stuff we'd 'Pigged' into the dumpster in the car park and then we drank some cider and then we went home. So now my brother is proud to be a Ditch Pig and you are proud to be a Ditch Pig and the only ones who can ever be shamed are those that are not proud to be Ditch Pigs.

Welcome to the ditch amiga ;)

Ditch pigging can be done anywhere and anytime. Watch out though - it can become a compulsion.
I did a little bit of pigging on the Frances from Pamplona this May and now can't stop myself.
Well, too bad more people aren't addicted.

(Now we know where all this technical terminology has come from, @Tincatinker. I'm very sorry you got called those awful names, but how great that you've turned this particular one into the badge of honor that it is. Ditch pigs are sterling citizens!)

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back