• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cure for Insomnia

Angie94

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - 2016 www.angie-carter.com/camino
https://youtu.be/PtE_hvREZc4
Due to major transitions in the past year I have been experiencing horrible middle of the night insomnia. Wake up at 2:30 and am up for 2 or 3 hours every single night (been going on for several months - worry, sadness, anger, more worry, fear, etc...)
I recently met a lady and we became friends and she told me about her experience with walking the Camino. I knew right away this was something I had to do. The idea of this trek immediately called to me. So I started walking...first 2 miles a day, then 5, then 7 and finally up to 10 miles a day when I can go.
I got my backpack in last week, and this week went down and got fitted and purchased my boots. Yesterday I went for a hike to start breaking them in. Walked 10 miles (hills included), with a 17 lb loaded pack in 38 degree weather. End result = slept ALL night!! I. Am. Cured. ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Due to major transitions in the past year I have been experiencing horrible middle of the night insomnia................................... End result = slept ALL night!! I. Am. Cured. ;)

Angie94,
Nice to read you have cured your insomnia. However, do you realise you've started down the route of Camino planning and dreaming that has every chance of also keeping you awake :eek:, but in a much nicer way :D.

Buen (sleep-filled nights) Camino

HAH! I know what you mean...it has been taking up a considerable amount of my free time - but it helps me to at least "see" something in the future and leaves me feeling inspired and hopeful. Beyond doing the Camino who knows...
Training for this trek gets me motivated and going and for that I am truly grateful. Well I am off to do 10 more miles. I hike at a large wooded park with a lake, hills etc...and it is VERY foggy out today and cold. Maybe it will feel a bit like walking thru the Pyrenees! :p

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I. Am. Cured. ;)
How great is that, Angie?! And you will be amazed once you're on the road how all the exercise results in deep sleep even in a room full of near strangers, all contributing to the human quirks that happen when a bunch of people share small spaces. But in spite of that: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...it's remarkable.

About the only thing I truly worried about for this trek across Spain is sleep and noise. I am a very light sleeper and cannot fall asleep with any noise what-so-ever. Of everything I have read they all state to wear earplugs which I fully intend on doing, but that doesn't really take care of loud snoring. Any other tips on how to deal with this??? Everything else seems doable to me but this. I am dreading it...:(

It's sometimes interesting, to be sure. But not always.
The state of mind and attitude can make all the difference--humorous and graceful surrender to things as they are is essential.
Earplugs reduce the impact.
Good sleep hygeine and exercise day in and day out are a big help too.
You might be surprised at what you can sleep through. I was, and it was totally unexpected.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Angie - I too am a light sleeper and was worried I would be kept awake by loud snoring and creaky beds. The first 4 nights, I hardly slept a wink, it was just all too unfamiliar even though there wasn't actually much noise. Then the physical fatigue and relaxation kicked in and I can honestly say that I experienced some of the deepest sleep in my life on the Camino irrespective of the surrounding snorers. I took earplugs with me but didn't need them once. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome, we are walking in March and April. We live south of Seattle so we are having lots of rain. Today is going to be a 11 miler on Tiger Mountain. Look in this forum for packing ideas. Our packs are loaded with every thing we are taking and weighs about 12 lbs excluding about 2 lbs for carrying water. Saying all of this our weekend treks help me sleep 3 to 4 hours longer than I usually do. What I have learned is the more physically active I am the better I sleep. During the week I sit at a desk and commonly walk about 5 miles through out the day and get less sleep. Have fun preparing for your walk. Your Camino has already started with you first thought about doing it and beginning your training.

I take some comfort in knowing that THOUSANDS of others have gone before me and they survived just fine. Tired as times...but none the less, survived it!
MILLIONS.

You will be surprised at how tired you will feel at 9pm each evening. Sleep will not be a major problem. Use earplugs, get a cheap room some nights. All will be fine. More than that, you will have a lifetime experience.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
About the only thing I truly worried about for this trek across Spain is sleep and noise. I am a very light sleeper and cannot fall asleep with any noise what-so-ever. Of everything I have read they all state to wear earplugs which I fully intend on doing, but that doesn't really take care of loud snoring. Any other tips on how to deal with this??? Everything else seems doable to me but this. I am dreading it...:(

Another very light sleeper here. I often jokingly say that I only walk the Camino to get a good nights sleep. Because I am so tired in the evenings that I sleep no matter what noise is around me. Buen Camino, SY

DSC_0708P (1280x212).jpg Good luck Angie94 If you ever have problems again this photo might help.
Regards Dermot

Some folks find Melatonin helpful. You might be surprised as to just how tired your whole body will be will be at the end of the day. Will you keep your pack weight at 17 lbs? Seems a tad heavy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Due to major transitions in the past year I have been experiencing horrible middle of the night insomnia. Wake up at 2:30 and am up for 2 or 3 hours every single night (been going on for several months - worry, sadness, anger, more worry, fear, etc...)
I recently met a lady and we became friends and she told me about her experience with walking the Camino. I knew right away this was something I had to do. The idea of this trek immediately called to me. So I started walking...first 2 miles a day, then 5, then 7 and finally up to 10 miles a day when I can go.
I got my backpack in last week, and this week went down and got fitted and purchased my boots. Yesterday I went for a hike to start breaking them in. Walked 10 miles (hills included), with a 17 lb loaded pack in 38 degree weather. End result = slept ALL night!! I. Am. Cured. ;)
Welcome - and good that you get some sleep back ... ever so important. off and on the camino.
my sleep-remedies were
  • good earplugs (test them out before @ home. One can always find good ones in local farmacia's as well)
  • liquid melatonin (not readily available in europe. brought it with me from CA)
  • ever once in a while i stayed in single-rooms, on me own
yes - the body was very mattress-ready by around 20:30 / 21hr'ish - nonetheless, there are industrial-sound snorers aplenty - which kept me awake often, even with ear-plugs. (a canadian chap, in a small donativo albergue, really 'took the bisquit' - when i heard him from across the hallway, in another room, with two closed doors/walls between us AND i was wearing earplugs and i could still hear him..sigh)
hence - the needed refuge to single-rooms or shared with other pilgrims (sans snorers)

anyway - it sounds like you are on the right track - in more senses than one .
very best wishes - and buen camino!
C

Will you keep your pack weight at 17 lbs? Seems a tad heavy.
Ummmmm...after today I am reconsidering the 17 lbs I hauled around, and that was ONLY 10 miles uggghhh!
My new boots did alright but this is going to be too much weight. (feet are tired and a bit sore and my right knee has ice on it right now. Back and shoulders are doing fine though)
But what I am really very curious about is HOW IN THE WORLD does someone do this trek without doing ANY training beforehand. I cannot even begin to wrap my mind around that. I had to do quite a bit of walking before I even got my pack and added weight. Either they are super human or I am a complete lightweight :cool: (oh and thanks for the sleep tips and encouragement that it will be alright.)
boooots.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome, we are walking in March and April. We live south of Seattle so we are having lots of rain. Today is going to be a 11 miler on Tiger Mountain. Look in this forum for packing ideas. Our packs are loaded with every thing we are taking and weighs about 12 lbs excluding about 2 lbs for carrying water. Saying all of this our weekend treks help me sleep 3 to 4 hours longer than I usually do. What I have learned is the more physically active I am the better I sleep. During the week I sit at a desk and commonly walk about 5 miles through out the day and get less sleep. Have fun preparing for your walk. Your Camino has already started with you first thought about doing it and beginning your training.
Hi @J F Gregory! When are you heading out in March? I'm leaving March 15 from SJPDP, maybe we'll cross paths!

Hi Angie,

I found that a white noise background on my cell phone with earbuds masked 100% of the noise. I could sleep with snoring and people talking right next to me and I am a VERY light sleeper. It was my major concern before starting the Camino. Many companies market a white noise background to mask snoring that can be downloaded. Earplugs can only block about 60% of noise because loud noises are transmitted to the eardrum directly through the bones of the skull, bypassing the ear canal. I had not problem charging the phone and usually I used less than 20% of battery life during the night. Find earbuds that are comfortable to wear at night. I did the entire Camino Frances last September and I am doing the Camino Portugues next year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
But what I am really very curious about is HOW IN THE WORLD does someone do this trek without doing ANY training beforehand.
The first week is the training.
I had to do both of my Caminos 'cold,' because my life conditions don't allow any training at all. Maybe it just takes stubborn bloody-mindedness; but in spite of that lack of training, so far so good. SJPP-Roncesvalles takes a while...but there is time.
That said, when I was younger I did a lot of backpacking, and competed in marathons and triathlons. So endurance walking and carrying weight are not unfamiliar activities--there's the basic confidence that I can do it, even though all that was decades ago.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you can't train then you slowly build up on the Camino, regardless most of us can't keep up with everyone. Just do the best you can.

Yay for sleeping through the night!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first week is the training.
I think I may have injured myself if I had tried to do my training in the first week on the camino...or been as some and not be able to make it the entire way. My hat is off to those who can do it! I am blessed with my current situation where I can train and build up to it. Yayyy! I am also finding that walking for several hours at a time is helping me with other things other than just the physical (emotions and such) I feel best when I am walking! One of the first things I am realizing is how much detail in the life around me I miss when I am zipping around in a car and rushng here and there. I now walk to many of the places I used to drive to and am noticing SO much more about my surroundings - flowers, trees, little critters running around, the architecture of buildings and houses, actually seeing people and paying attention to them and even picking up some trash along the way. Yes, I believe my camino has already started...

Training is important, especially if you start in St. Jean. The first day is the hardest because of the elevation change and distance. I found that doing a 15 mile walk once or twice a week really prepared me. I had no injuries and no blisters on the Camino, even when I walked a 25-mile day. You are going to have a Buen Camino!

I found that doing a 15 mile walk once or twice a week really prepared me.
I can't wait until I can reach this point - so far 10 has been my max, but I am getting there. I just want to be in good shape because I don't want to be dealing with physical injury and such. I have too many spiritual and emotional things to tend to and want to focus on. I am also looking forward to meeting others from all around the world - how neat is that!!
I have been working on my Spanish, but that is definitely something that is slow in coming - just like working up to my 10 miles! hah! But one day at a time....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It sounds like you are doing a great job preparing. Spanish is good to know, but the language most common on the Camino itself is English since most Europeans speak simple English. Usually those who run albergues and cafés have enough English to help you. I am learning Portuguese now, not because I need it to survive on the Camino Portugués next year, but to enrich my experience and challenge my aging brain in new ways. The Camino was a spiritual journey for me, but in ways that I didn't expect. The Camino is a place to let go of expectations and open yourself up to things completely new. For me the highlight of the Camino was meeting others from around the world and the resultant cross-pollination of our lives. Enjoy the journey of preparation as much as the Camino itself and feel free to message me any questions.

One of the first things I am realizing is how much detail in the life around me I miss when I am zipping around in a car and rushng here and there. I now walk to many of the places I used to drive to and am noticing SO much more about my surroundings - flowers, trees, little critters running around, the architecture of buildings and houses, actually seeing people and paying attention to them and even picking up some trash along the way.
How good is that, Angie!? One of the things I love about the Camino is how it's a 're-set' back to a way of living that goes at a pace that is in tune with nature, rather than artificially fast. I remember one time standing on a autopista overpass watching the cars whiz by below me...I'd been walking for 3 weeks by then and had settled back into the pace of the natural world--so the speed of the cars seemed bizarre. And we live that way!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Excellent info Pete ~ I have actually been reading up on this very thing. I am getting ready to download a few samples to see how it goes...thanks!!
How good is that, Angie!? One of the things I love about the Camino is how it's a 're-set' back to a way of living that goes at a pace that is in tune with nature, rather than artificially fast. I remember one time standing on a autopista overpass watching the cars whiz by below me...I'd been walking for 3 weeks by then and had settled back into the pace of the natural world--so the speed of the cars seemed bizarre. And we live that way!

Angie: I am going to follow this thread closely as I am interested in how people train for the hike. I am starting my first Camino mid April next year. Currently I walk 5 mi a day and 10 - 15 on the weekends. I am going to jump to 10 mi a day during the week in January wearing my back pack.

I live in Olympia, WA and I was wondering if you found the best travel route to get to SJPP

?
I live in Olympia, WA and I was wondering if you found the best travel route to get to SJPP
Whoops, I didn't mean to send this yet. Please and Thank you for help in the travel department. That is the only thing that scares me, just getting to SJPP!

Ummmmm...after today I am reconsidering the 17 lbs I hauled around, and that was ONLY 10 miles uggghhh!
My new boots did alright but this is going to be too much weight. (feet are tired and a bit sore and my right knee has ice on it right now. Back and shoulders are doing fine though)
But what I am really very curious about is HOW IN THE WORLD does someone do this trek without doing ANY training beforehand. I cannot even begin to wrap my mind around that. I had to do quite a bit of walking before I even got my pack and added weight. Either they are super human or I am a complete lightweight :cool: (oh and thanks for the sleep tips and encouragement that it will be alright.)
View attachment 22716

Angie,
Be careful you might be overtraining at 10 miles a day at this point. Your training is already ahead of what most individuals have come to the Camino with.

My experience from marathon running, biking 4000 miles across the US and walking the Camino would describe a safe reliable injury free training program by only doing only 5 miles a day for most of the week and walking only one long distance walk a week at 10+ miles. You than can increase these by no more than 10% every 2 weeks this will gives your body time to recover and build up endurance. A month before you leave you should build up to what you want to walk each day, 15-18 miles on back to back days at this level. A week before you leave just short walks but not necessary ,let you body rest (tapering). You will be more than capable of competing your journey without injury. You should only carry 10% of your weight but don't forget you will be carrying water.

Best in your training

You than can increase these by no more than 10% every 2 weeks this will gives your body time to recover and build up endurance.
thank you for this valuable information because as I mentioned I have no clue - but I am getting an education. I am learning to "listen" to those who have already done it and accumulate the suggestions and advise given (and then try to implement it - but I do have a stubborn streak and can get stuck in how I want to do something! hah) :cool:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just started a new thread requesting "Packing tips and favorite items - what's yours?"
Hi, Angie. Also please check a thread I posted after returning from my last camino:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-essentials-and-your-3-useless-burdens.33255/
Lots of the same kind of information.
You'll see how preferences are unique and contradictory. So the journey of preparation is one of finding out for yourself what works...it's definitely not 'one size fits all!' And @SYates has written a very helpful book about packing and preparation.
Joodle, I got a non-stop flight from Paris from SeaTac (after an outward journey through LAX and JFK, which is not to be repeated or recommended!). There are plenty on the Forum from the Pacific Northwest...worth a separate thread, perhaps--and there may already be one out there.

Hi Angie,

I found that a white noise background on my cell phone with earbuds masked 100% of the noise. I could sleep with snoring and people talking right next to me and I am a VERY light sleeper. It was my major concern before starting the Camino. Many companies market a white noise background to mask snoring that can be downloaded. Earplugs can only block about 60% of noise because loud noises are transmitted to the eardrum directly through the bones of the skull, bypassing the ear canal. I had not problem charging the phone and usually I used less than 20% of battery life during the night. Find earbuds that are comfortable to wear at night. I did the entire Camino Frances last September and I am doing the Camino Portugues next year.

I have often thought that white noise is the answer and wondered why all albergues didn't just run an industrial fan all night to drown it out. Sleeping next to a CPAP user is the next best thing. I have met a few on the Camino and always try to get a bunk next to theirs.

I've thought of this "white noise on a cell phone" idea, but I simply cannot sleep with earbuds in, having tried many many times. Has anyone ever tried just turning it on and putting the phone under your pillow (after asking the people around you of course)? I can't imagine people would object, but maybe there are people for whom white noise is not a palliative. What do people think?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Angie,
It sure looks like you have caught the Camino bug. It lasts a life time and there is no known cure. I am also a very light sleeper and very sensitive to noise and even sharing a room with others. However I found that doing breathing exercises (as used for meditation), whilst lying in bed trying to sleep, helped me to relax and I found sleeping easier. I think also you must be willing cross a mental and perhaps emotional Rubicon and accept that your normal approach to things needs to change. I think you need to make the decision to accept and embrace your new circumstances and not just for sleeping. So despite people snoring and going to the toilet and getting up too early etc, you just gotta accept that that is how it is. And yes I did not sleep brilliantly every night, but very strangely I was never tired the next day and always had more than enough energy. A strange and wonderful experience the Camino is. Enjoy every step!!!
Aidan

€149,-
Angie,
Be careful you might be overtraining at 10 miles a day at this point. Your training is already ahead of what most individuals have come to the Camino with.

My experience from marathon running, biking 4000 miles across the US and walking the Camino would describe a safe reliable injury free training program by only doing only 5 miles a day for most of the week and walking only one long distance walk a week at 10+ miles. You than can increase these by no more than 10% every 2 weeks this will gives your body time to recover and build up endurance. A month before you leave you should build up to what you want to walk each day, 15-18 miles on back to back days at this level. A week before you leave just short walks but not necessary ,let you body rest (tapering). You will be more than capable of competing your journey without injury. You should only carry 10% of your weight but don't forget you will be carrying water.

Best in your training
Shubert:

I was very intrigued by your reply. I am the non athletic sort and have just been a walker/hiker for 4 years. Before that I was slightly handicapped and a workaholic. I trained for Half Dome last year (Yosemite Park, CA) and thought I did everything right in my training and wasn't able to make it to the top. I was humbled (not humiliated) that I have a lot to learn about training. Like Angie, I am doing a lot of listening to people with more experience than I. I am going to try the 10 miles a day during the week like Angie, but will take your advise on taking it easy the week before I leave. I also am going to do a 3 day walk 15 consequetive miles a day some time in the last month to see how I do. I am like a kid learning to walk, I have no idea what my body is capable of. (My hobby is hiking in the back country of So. California)

Hey Geri ~ I just started a new thread requesting "Packing tips and favorite items - what's yours?" and so maybe we can get some good ideas from those who are experienced! and who knows they might even throw a few training tips in as well....Buen Camino!
Angie: I have no idea what my favorite items are yet. Still trying to figure it all out. I did get my back pack and sleeping bag and will start walking with them some time soon. I will look for the other thread. I have read thost most people bring too much and start giving things away. I have a tendency to over pack in general, even on my day hikes.

Shubert:

I was very intrigued by your reply. I am the non athletic sort and have just been a walker/hiker for 4 years. Before that I was slightly handicapped and a workaholic. I trained for Half Dome last year (Yosemite Park, CA) and thought I did everything right in my training and wasn't able to make it to the top. I was humbled (not humiliated) that I have a lot to learn about training. Like Angie, I am doing a lot of listening to people with more experience than I. I am going to try the 10 miles a day during the week like Angie, but will take your advise on taking it easy the week before I leave. I also am going to do a 3 day walk 15 consequetive miles a day some time in the last month to see how I do. I am like a kid learning to walk, I have no idea what my body is capable of. (My hobby is hiking in the back country of So. California)
Geri,
Sounds like you have a good plan for were you are in your training with 3 consecutive days at 15 miles you will be more than ready. Experience comes from your own failures, as a young person in my 20's I trained to run a marathon. I was running 12 miles a day and trying to do it faster each day after several months of this I ended up injured and had to have surgery on my knee. I repeated this same procedure in my 30's with the same result and surgery on the other knee. I was told I couldn't run anymore.

At 50 I decided to try it again and this time did a lot of research on training for a marathon, 10 marathons later and finally qualifying to run Boston at 56.

A friend wanted to ride his bike from San Francisco to Maine and asked me to join him, I bought a bike and started training with a similar program to get to 100 miles a in a day and did several back to back ones before leaving. I completed the ride in 52 days 4000 miles and no injuries.

My wife and I are both in our 60's and again used this training method for our Camino, we were able to walk from St jean to Santiago with no injuries except a few minor blisters.
You can google marathon training for runners or century training for cyclists and the results won't be to different in how to increase mileage. They may add cross training on different days, hill training, speed training but the concept of building your body up to handle the endurance necessary to complete these are very similar. Hope this is helpful and best of luck in your training.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was rarely ever able to do more than 10 miles at a stretch during training - most of my training walks were 5-8 miles, occasionally 10-12 miles. Mostly it was just a function of the time available to do the training rather than physical ability. Finding the time to go out and walk many miles multiple times a week can be a challenge, so I just did what I could. The good news is that once I was on the Camino, longer distances got to be easier - mostly because on the Camino, you have all day to walk and you don't have to fit in between work, chores, errands, caring for relatives, etc. etc. I felt like the conditioning for my feet was probably the most important part of my training - getting the feet used to walking a lot.

Geri,
Sounds like you have a good plan for were you are in your training with 3 consecutive days at 15 miles you will be more than ready. Experience comes from your own failures, as a young person in my 20's I trained to run a marathon. I was running 12 miles a day and trying to do it faster each day after several months of this I ended up injured and had to have surgery on my knee. I repeated this same procedure in my 30's with the same result and surgery on the other knee. I was told I couldn't run anymore.

At 50 I decided to try it again and this time did a lot of research on training for a marathon, 10 marathons later and finally qualifying to run Boston at 56.

A friend wanted to ride his bike from San Francisco to Maine and asked me to join him, I bought a bike and started training with a similar program to get to 100 miles a in a day and did several back to back ones before leaving. I completed the ride in 52 days 4000 miles and no injuries.

My wife and I are both in our 60's and again used this training method for our Camino, we were able to walk from St jean to Santiago with no injuries except a few minor blisters.
You can google marathon training for runners or century training for cyclists and the results won't be to different in how to increase mileage. They may add cross training on different days, hill training, speed training but the concept of building your body up to handle the endurance necessary to complete these are very similar. Hope this is helpful and best of luck in your training.

Thank you very much!

I trained for a year lost 10kg, then lost anther 10kg on the Camino I averaged 15 miles per day when I was done I felt I should have slowed down to enjoy what was put in front of me. Another reason to go back & do it again. I met those who trained & those that did not, the secret is knowing when to stop. No matter how you go about it learn to respect your body.
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

WOW! :rolleyes: that to me is truly amazing. I cannot even wrap my mind around doing something of that caliber. These kinda of posts are so inspiring!!

I trained for a year lost 10kg, then lost anther 10kg on the Camino I averaged 15 miles per day when I was done I felt I should have slowed down to enjoy what was put in front of me.
I have already lost 10lbs since starting my training - yayy! I was thinking that around 12 miles a day - (maybe 15 some days) would leave me time to enjoy the surroundings. I am not interested in getting it done in a certain amount of time...I have plenty of time to complete it, so I just want to take my time ;)

My new boots did alright but this is going to be too much weight. (feet are tired and a bit sore and my right knee has ice on it right now. Back and shoulders are doing fine though)]

Angie94,
You're getting some thoughtful advice here, including schubertj who mentions the avoidance of overtraining.

With your own words "but I do have a stubborn streak" in mind:rolleyes:, I wanted to offer you what works for me in training in case it helps you.

After getting comfortable walking 6-8 miles without my pack I do the same distance again with some weight in my pack 3or 4 times-
rest a couple of days from walking or do some other form of exercise-
then walk the same distance again, with half-pack weight 3 or 4 times-
rest or other exercise again for a couple of days-
finally it's with full-pack weight 3-4 times or until comfortable with a rest day between each full pack day.

I increase the distance by 1-2 miles repeating the whole process. So on and so forth until I get to 12 miles, or, depending entirely how I feel on the day, a little more.

Once comfortable at that distance I alternate distances between 8 and 12 with and without a pack. Until a week before I go on my Camino.

During that week I taper of and have a few strolls.

In total my training period is 4-6 months, so, it's easy does it to avoid injuries and over-training.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your preparation, planning and training it's a great time.

Buen Camino

And yes I did not sleep brilliantly every night, but very strangely I was never tired the next day and always had more than enough energy.
I think that it what I am most concerned about...not having enough energy the next day, but as far as I can tell from what I have read, including your post the consensus seems to be that while the sleep may not be easy at times it worked out fine as I have yet to read that people were dragging themselves along and felt like complete sludge...so I am feeling better about the whole ordeal. Plus I like what you said about accepting the circumstances for what they are. That will be a useful tool.

The sluggish feeling was the first hour getting the blood moving. Finding food after the first half hour along with coffee. Any sore muscle issues are long gone after the second week. The more fit you are when you arrive just makes you move faster, so you will test your legs. The key is to not get to aggressive. I think you will find by training that this will be a very enjoyable walk. I live in the mountains so elevation was no issue for me, the Swedes I walked with trained hard & lived at sea level. They were very tired by Rocevalles, but the elevation was what did it. They easily kept up once out of the mountains. Both men were 67 & 69. I was 53. It is nice the friendships we develope.

WOW! :rolleyes: that to me is truly amazing. I cannot even wrap my mind around doing something of that caliber. These kinda of posts are so inspiring!!
You are on your way and inspiring in your desire to complete this great adventure. My only advise is the need not to overtrain to accomplish this amazing journey.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back