• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 1

Flatcat

Because of pre bookings I've decided to go heavy on Day 1
SJDP to Espinal
Just over 32 km
Has anyone here walked that distance ?
My wife and I our 46 and 53 and have completed 6 Marathons, still healthy.
Because of the incline just making sure I'm not crazy!
Thx

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi @Flatcat, that will be a long walk!

I walked from St. Jean to Burguete in 2013. From what I can remember, Burgette is a very easy 3kms after Roncesvalles but I wouldn't have fancied another 3.5kms to Espinal. However, I could probably have done it

I was very fit and a regular runner back then. That gave me the cardio fitness and the 'grit' to walk long distances, but this wasn't always the smart thing to do. I had more aches and pains that year than on any other Camino. Maybe hiking uses different muscles to running, so take care! Pushing yourself too hard on day 1 could have consequences later on.

Are your bookings set in stone? If you're determined to do this, I'd suggest that you start early (if it's safe to do so) send your bags ahead for that day.

Buen Camino to you both!

Nuala

Last edited:
Hi @Flatcat . You haven't said whether you are planning on the Napoleon or Valcarlos routes, which choice may be very important. Hiking and running are very different activities and put very different strains on the body, as does carrying a 6-10k pack, water and food for a 32k day. There are many sad tales on this forum from pilgrims whose camino came to a premature end because of damage sustained doing too much too quickly in their first few days. Some don't even make Roncevalles in one piece.

Find yourself a local hike of similar distance and elevation, load up your pack and go for it. Thats the only way you can know for sure whether you are up to it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
SJDP to Espinal
Just over 32 km
Thx
Very ambitious on Day 1...! I think what time of the year you are planning is important as cool or cold weather would drain some extra energy. As well, if you're planning to go over the top, you can add another 3.5-4.0 kms for altitude adjustment, so plan for closer to 36 kms. I guess you planning to also go all the way to Pamplona on Day 2? The good news is that they sell lots of ibuprofen and heat rub in all the pharmacia's there ;)
Best of luck with a healthy challenge and Buen Camino!

SJDP to Espinal
Just over 32 km
Thx

Flatcat:

I only walked to Roncesvalles my first day (Mid-March) and found that to be a pretty tough day. If you are only walking this distance because you have a booking, I would see about possibly cancelling. Your first day can make or break your Camino. I am not saying it can not be done in that time, but why? I would recommend you walk the first day without a reservation and just see how it goes. I think most people find Roncesvalles a pretty good day of walking. The first day is a steep climb with a (15 to 20 lb) pack, followed by 30 more days of walking marathon distances on a variety of terrain.

I would recommend you stop in Roncesvalles. That said, you know your own abilities and can make a better decision based on your fitness.

Ultreya,
Joe

I agree with @Tincatinker.

Some of the fittest people I have met on various caminos had problems with tendonitis and other injuries. Whereas people who didn't have an athletic background and started slowly managed quite well.

It is so important to listen to your body and to understand that walking everyday has its own challenges - and that they are very different to marathon running.

buen camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
SJDP to Espinal
Just over 32 km
Thx
While my wife and I were WALKING the camino there was a guy that was running a marathon every day on his camino. If you want to do it that way, just do it. You don't even have to ask.

Go for it - I took the Valcarlos route and got to Roncesvalles just after 2pm so you'll certainly have time for a warm-down stroll to Espinal - it's 6.5k and 100m of descent

SJDP to Espinal
Just over 32 km
Thx

Before declaring you for crazy - What time of the year are we speaking about and have you looked at the accumulated ascends/descends and are you comfortable with it? SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked SJPdP to Espinal in April of last year, also for scheduling reasons. There were two others I met that night who also did the same. It was fine.

But... If you have run 6 marathons then you know what it means to train. I apply same principles to training for the Camino, which resulted in a very pleasant first day out last year. I think it was especially helpful to train in my local mountains, which are similar to that section of the Pyrenees.

I think that a person who considers her/hisself fit ought to be fine as long as they have done appropriate prep and pack well.

Then again, I've been called crazy multiple times.

Like Damien, I've done the St. Jean - Espinal walk. It worked for me, and for my group. The distance is a personal choice, of course--only you can totally judge what you're capable of. I train pretty hard in the mountains before pilgrimage, so the Pyrenees crossing ends up being totally manageable. I liked how it set up a very manageable walk the next day into Zabaldika, and then an early arrival in Pamplona.

You definitely lose something by not overnighting in Roncesvalles. The pilgrim blessing is moving, and it's a good place to make connections with a lot of pilgrims. But, I also found the communal dinner in Zabaldika to be great for that, and mass in their small church was very moving.

Espinal, I confess, was a bit sterile, but pleasant enough!

We're walking April 23 and hoping to do the Napoleon route.
It was a booking issue but late last night I noticed an availability for a 2 bedroom in
Roncesvalles, double the price at $120 euro but I booked it.
1st day, as much as I feel I could make it farther I agree that it's maybe not worth the risk
I'll be in Pamplona by day 3 so better to average out Day 1 and 2 better
Thx
For all the input
Clint

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We're walking April 23 and hoping to do the Napoleon route.
It was a booking issue but late last night I noticed an availability for a 2 bedroom in
Roncesvalles, double the price at $120 euro but I booked it.
1st day, as much as I feel I could make it farther I agree that it's maybe not worth the risk
I'll be in Pamplona by day 3 so better to average out Day 1 and 2 better
Thx
For all the input
Clint

Clint:

The Albergue in Roncesvalles is very modern (updated in 2011) now and only 5 euro's. The sleeping quarters are quads with lockers. We used to sleep in a large dorm with roughly 125 beds and 6 showers.

Ultreya,
Joe

Glad to see that you found something. This sounds like a 4-bed apartment at the hotel. Did you use Booking.com? The hotel's website/reservation system itself shows still availabilites for 2-bed rooms at half the price for 23 April.
Yes booking.com
Listed at $120 Euro 2 bedroom 4 people

Glad to see that you found something. This sounds like a 4-bed apartment at the hotel. Did you use Booking.com? The hotel's website/reservation system itself shows still availabilites for 2-bed rooms at half the price for 23 April.
I tried looking, to me it looks like $65 E for 2 people 1 bedroom and $120E for 4 people 2 bedroom Which is what's available ?
Did you see it different ?
Thx

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Congratulation on your 6 marathons :) but I must agree with tincatinker, every trail, run, road and day are different your feet maybe all good today tomorrow you have blisters with that said I would take it easy the first couple of days and give a chance to your body to adjust and then you can go all out and run to Santiago if you like, I think I read thread here that someone walked in 15-17 days something like that.

I looked at: http://www.hotelroncesvalles.com/#reservas.html . You can switch to English for the reservation. I see availabilities for 1 room for 2 persons at 66 EUR for 23 April. They seemed to have revamped their website since last year. I can't enter my first name but other than that it lets me proceed as far as entering credit card details and then, obviously, I stopped trying it out. No penalty for cancellation until 2 days before arrival.

There are also rooms at Casa Sabina and Hostal Posada - I think they are not on Booking.com - and, obviously, the albergue mentioned above.
Thanks, I was booked at the Casa de los Beneficiados in a 2 bedroom, i booked directly through the hotel Roncesvalles website and managed to get a 2 person room for $66 Euro
Thank You
Hopefully they respond with a email confirmation

SJDP to Espinal
Just over 32 km
Thx
It's my turn to walk the French Way in April. From what I have read on this site, the people who don't finish the French Way sustained one or more overuse injuries while trying to crossing the Pyrenees in one day. Something to consider. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

€149,-
It's my turn to walk the French Way in April. From what I have read on this site, the people who don't finish the French Way sustained one or more overuse injuries while trying to crossing the Pyrenees in one day. Something to consider. Buen Camino

Happy Trails
Yes we backed off a bit, lucky a room came available in Roncesvalles for us
Thanks

Thanks, I was booked at the Casa de los Beneficiados in a 2 bedroom, i booked directly through the hotel Roncesvalles website and managed to get a 2 person room for $66 Euro
Thank You
I stayed there in Apr 2015. Very nice :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank You
I stayed Casa de los Beneficiados in Roncevalles the first night and it was really, really nice.

Some of the most stressed people I have seen along the way are those who have over over planned.
Setting rigid plans, bookings, stopping points, etc. instead of taking it as it happens takes all spontaneity out of your adventure.
Keep it as loose as possible.

Some of the most stressed people I have seen along the way are those who have over over planned.
Setting rigid plans, bookings, stopping points, etc. instead of taking it as it happens takes all spontaneity out of your adventure.
Keep it as loose as possible.

Amen und triple like! Buen Camino, SY

Though I agree with grayland and SYates, sometimes you have to do what you have to do. With your marathon experience, you are not crazy to think you can make Espinal in one day. Last July I did virtually the same, stopping at Camping Urrobi (off Camino proper), close to the same distance you plan. (disclaimer: that was my shortest distance full day on the Camino.)
Enjoy!

I do not know if it has been mentioned, but, as discretion is usually the better part of valor, DO consider sending your rucksack ahead to your planned night's lodging. Carry a light day pack with the essentials.

As others HAVE mentioned, it is not worth injuring yourself on this first, daunting segment. Besides, you will be moving so fast, you need to travel light so you can see what you are missing...;)

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back