• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day dreaming...

Enzed

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to Santiago (2020)
I'm daydreaming of all the caminos I could do. And how cool it would be to walk from Madrid, and not have to worry about public transport. It won't be for a few years though...

Has anyone walked from Madrid to Leon to Oviedo to Santiago? I'm guessing it would take about 5 weeks?

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Madrid to Léon; Léon, Oviedo, Santiago on different caminos, yes. Very doable and very worthwhile. Lots of info here on the forum and in the usual suspects e.g. Gronze. Good luck.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cool, I'll keep it for a future trip. My next , 3rd camino, will be walking with my parents between Granada and Cordoba. In August next year. Sounds like fun.

I'm daydreaming of all the caminos I could do. And how cool it would be to walk from Madrid, and not have to worry about public transport. It won't be for a few years though...

Has anyone walked from Madrid to Leon to Oviedo to Santiago? I'm guessing it would take about 5 weeks?

Buen Camino
It's a delightful walk. We did the Madrid, then the Salvador to Oviedo, then the Primitivo to Santiago. Unforgettable. We did this in four weeks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know... I guess if I have to skip public transport I need to learn to walk on water before I get to Madrid :rolleyes:;)
I would definitely consider that to be a "Camino Miracle"

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen Camino
Something to consider if walking the Camino de Madrid would be starting in Tres Cantos or Colmenar Viejo instead of Madrid. This involves the commuter train (public transportation) from Madrid to those nearby cities. I Pooh-Poohed that idea when I walked it last fall, but having started in Madrid with the all day concrete/city walking, I should have listened to the experienced pilgrims and started in Colmenar. Next time I will for sure as this Camino was amazing.

Buen Camino
I did just that this year. It will probably take just a smidge more, depending on how far you like to walk each day. It took me just over 6 weeks, but I took a lot of detours on the Madrid and I started from the very south end of the city instead of the official starting point downtown, so my first 20 km day didn't even have me leave the city :) (It was a "front door Camino" for me and I picked the wrong part of Madrid to live in.) You could do the Madrid in 2 weeks, and 3 weeks is a good amount to allot to the San Salvador and Primitivo, but it takes a few days to get from one to the other along the Frances.

I did just that this year. It will probably take just a smidge more, depending on how far you like to walk each day. It took me just over 6 weeks, but I took a lot of detours on the Madrid and I started from the very south end of the city instead of the official starting point downtown, so my first 20 km day didn't even have me leave the city :) (It was a "front door Camino" for me and I picked the wrong part of Madrid to live in.) You could do the Madrid in 2 weeks, and 3 weeks is a good amount to allot to the San Salvador and Primitivo, but it takes a few days to get from one to the other along the Frances.
Thanks for the advice

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Something to consider if walking the Camino de Madrid would be starting in Tres Cantos or Colmenar Viejo instead of Madrid. This involves the commuter train (public transportation) from Madrid to those nearby cities. I Pooh-Poohed that idea when I walked it last fall, but having started in Madrid with the all day concrete/city walking, I should have listened to the experienced pilgrims and started in Colmenar. Next time I will for sure as this Camino was amazing.
I did not mind the first bit out of central Madrid from the church. I arrived at Madrid airport at around 1430 and used the public transport to get to the Iglesia Santiago y San Juan Bautista and then waited until 1800 for it to open. After getting my credencial stamped at the church I had a short 10 km stroll to my first nights accommodation along the Camino at Hostal Royal Begona. I mostly followed a Wikiloc track as the Camino passes within about 200m of the room. It was a simple enough stroll. Then headed to Gran Hostal El Chiscón at Colmenar Viejo the next day. It took me 14 days to La Robla where I turned off onto the Olvidado.

I walked it last fall, but having started in Madrid with the all day concrete/city walking, I should have listened to the experienced pilgrims and started in Colmenar.
There may be one or two on this forum over the years that skipped the city and started in Colmenar. But I'm pretty sure most of us walked from the centre, didn't regret it, and wouldn't be advising skipping it.

I did not mind the first bit out of central Madrid from the church. I arrived at Madrid airport at around 1430 and used the public transport to get to the Iglesia Santiago y San Juan Bautista and then waited until 1800 for it to open. After getting my credencial stamped at the church I had a short 10 km stroll to my first nights accommodation along the Camino at Hostal Royal Begona. I mostly followed a Wikiloc track as the Camino passes within about 200m of the room. It was a simple enough stroll. Then headed to Gran Hostal El Chiscón at Colmenar Viejo the next day. It took me 14 days to La Robla where I turned off onto the Olvidado.
That darned Gran Hostel El Chiscon is difficult to book.
I've stayed there twice though - and loved it.
I'm walking the Madrid again in April with a friend - it seems many things have changed since the last time.
A couple of the little albergues are now closed, which is sad.
I loved that little place in Santa Maria la Real de Nieva.
Wish they'd reopen it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walking on water is easy. That nice Galilean knew that he could. Chauncey Gardiner (Being There, for those who need the nudge) didn’t know that he couldn’t.
Chauncy’s serendipity was better than that of Inspector Clouseau.

Chauncy’s serendipity was better than that of Inspector Clouseau.
Inspector Jacques Clouseau: "There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them."

Chance the Gardener: "As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden"

I fancy Chauncy had a better grip on Camino ;)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back