• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dealing with Diabetes

gagseymt

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2016
I am problay not the first to do the walk with type 2 diabetes. I have no problems carrying my tablets. But many say always have energy bars available. Well there's my problem. Too much sugar in the bars. What has other people used when walking, as a snack to gain a quick energy boost?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nuts. You should also be able to have half a banana at a time, saving the other half for later. You can get anything in the many stores. Also safe with a portion of an orange.

Bananas work for me the only problem, bouncing round on or in your backpack -they turn into pudding around 1030 if not protected; energy bars taste like processed cardboard, too much sugar and taste godawful. Beware the ubiquitous bocadillo, that lovely and widely available sandwich, processed white flour baguette, full fat cheese, a bit of ham (ok once in a while maybe) or fried egg omelet, if you are lucky may have salami or such. White bread, lettuce and tomato won't give you much energy though. There are lovely half litre containers of yoghurt and fruit in any tienda may try that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Also, there are those small cans of tuna salad with the pop tops (as well as sardines) - if you have your spork handy! That'll give you a little vroooom!

I carry a small packet of dried fruit ( sultana, raisins or similar ) but I tend to walk 30+ km days on the camino so raised sugar levels haven't been an issue.

Your problem is if you get a hipo (too low blood sugar) as there can be a long way between towns or shops to get a pick me up i carried hard boiled sweets with me plus a small packet of gluegose tabs for that reason i never realy used them i ended up shearing the sweets with my fellow pilgrims who were very glad of them, as i ate little and often when i could , I would not be so concerned with taking in too much sugar while walking as you will burn it off quick, If your on tablets insted of injections you can half the dose so it wont counteract the sugar intake too quick, Talk to you doc if in douth Bring you gluegose meter with you so you can keep an eye on things and ajust to suit

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am problay not the first to do the walk with type 2 diabetes. I have no problems carrying my tablets. But many say always have energy bars available. Well there's my problem. Too much sugar in the bars. What has other people used when walking, as a snack to gain a quick energy boost?
How much sugar is too much sugar?
i have to manage hypoglycemia (spelling?) and always have something w/ me in my bag/purse to prevent those nasty 'crashes'. i had 3 Larabars (cherry pie flavour) with me for extreme emergencies - those have 16gr sugar, & are not tasting like cardboard at all (the flavours that i've tasted) http://www.larabar.com/products/cherry-pie#ingredients
the other one that proved useful to me was this powder, mixed w/ juice and a bit of hot water in the morning in a 'plastic jar' which i took with me to get started for the day. http://www.thesynergycompany.com/v/pure_synergy.html that kept my sugar level amazingly stable and i had no ghastly surprises in that department. per serving (1 teaspoon) has 2 gr of sugar -- for b'fast i made sure to have some sort of protein - even if it was cheese from the day prior.
Best Wishes and happy planning --

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.