• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Debating which route to take – Camino de Frances (Leon to Santiago) or Camino de Portugeus (Porto to Santiago)

yb2971

Time of past OR future Camino
March (2018)
Hello!

I am looking to do the camino beginning on March 20, 2018. I am unsure which route to take – Leon to Santiago or Porto to Santiago. I am pretty new at this and just starting my research.

Are both routes pretty comparable in terms of their difficulty? Are both routes readily equipped (with hostel availability, etc) during this time of year? Any other tips or information would be very appreciated. Thank you all in advance!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Howdy Pilgrim,

The Frances will be more rural but you will most likely run into snow storms as you cross mountains in March. You should have better weather on the Portuguese but your trek will be through more urban centers, flatter terrain, and more distance needing to be covered per day.

The Frances has more albergues on it than the Portuguese, but you should not have trouble finding a bed on either route during the time of year you're travelling.

The Frances always has more people on it, which means you'll meet more people, but then chances are higher of running into drama. With less pilgrims on the Portuguese, there's more solitude and time to reflect, but then again, how many hours/days can you handle walking by yourself?

There is more road walking on the Portuguese and its harder on your feet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree more road walking probably better weather but you may want to look at the Coastal route. I did interior from Lisbon. The toughest walk is from
Puenta de Lima is not as tough as O Cebreiro stage on Frances. Be prepared for everything in Galicia.

I've walked both and I like them both. I suspect either would be fine. I think I would go on the CP that time of year. Mostly for the weather. If it turns bad, the CP does not cross mountains anything like those coming into Galicia from the East. Much less chance of getting snow. Otherwise I found the routes fairly comparable, although the CP definitely has more cobblestones. CF has more facilities, but there are more than enough along the CP. CF has more pilgrims too, but I doubt you'll be walking alone-we had lots of company end of last Oct., which is pretty much shoulder season.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Porto the Coastal route. End of March can still be blustery, but if you get bored by the sea there are plenty of places to hook into the Rural Portuguese Camino. Porto is a wonderful little place, you are focused on Santiago but there are many little side trips to consider, Bom Jesus in Braga, a morning side trip, on the Rural Porto Camino Ponte de Lima and Pontevedra are lovely. The Portuguese are a warm welcoming people, good food, good wine, and there always seems to be a market going somewhere. Do remember though, it's Bom Caminho!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello!

I am looking to do the camino beginning on March 20, 2018. I am unsure which route to take – Leon to Santiago or Porto to Santiago. I am pretty new at this and just starting my research.

Are both routes pretty comparable in terms of their difficulty? Are both routes readily equipped (with hostel availability, etc) during this time of year? Any other tips or information would be very appreciated. Thank you all in advance!!

I am now debating the same choice, curious what you did and how it turned out!?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back