• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Delta changed flight - only 40 minute layover at SEATAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
Hello, to all who have run the gantlet at SEATAC can anybody tell me if 40 minutes is enough time to get to my international flight to PORTO..............I can run :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello, to all who have run the gantlet at SEATAC can anybody tell me if 40 minutes is enough time to get to my international flight to PORTO..............I can run :)
Is this booked all on one ticket? If so, your connection is "protected" - which means that if you miss your connecting flight that the airline has to rebook you on the next flight with available seats. I would be proactive and call the airline to see if they can change your flights. I'm not sure if 40 minutes is within the Minimum Connection Time at SEATAC.
Check the airline schedules before you call.

I copied this from Seatac's Website.....hope this helps
Agents from Alaska Airlines and Delta Air Lines are available to help passengers recheck and re-book any connecting flights if needed. Hours will vary with each airline depending on demand. Depending on your airline carrier you may have to exit and recheck your bags on the ticketing level on the pre-security side of the airport. Rebooking standards and policies vary by airline.

Once cleared through TSA's screening*, passengers will take the train to connect to all gates and the rest of the terminal. The first stop off the train will take passengers to the A Concourse train station, from there passengers can go up the escalators or elevators for the A gates or take the other trains to go to B, D, and N gates. For help navigating around the terminal and information on dining and retail, please see our interactive map.

Traveling with a Tight Connection
When scheduling connections from an international flight at SEA we recommend that you schedule enough time in between the scheduled arrival time and your next boarding time.
If a connection is within 60 minutes or less, depending on the airline they may rebook your connecting flight if there is not enough time to connect. Airline representatives should be available in the baggage claim area of the South Satellite baggage claim level to help assist any passengers who may need to re-book any flights. Find your airline's contact information.

The “Express Connect” program is currently suspended due to COVID-19 and low international passenger volume. Passengers are currently already being processed quite quickly. Our customer service team will currently assist larger families with expedited screening in special circumstances.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is this booked all on one ticket? If so, your connection is "protected" - which means that if you miss your connecting flight that the airline has to rebook you on the next flight with available seats. I would be proactive and call the airline to see if they can change your flights. I'm not sure if 40 minutes is within the Minimum Connection Time at SEATAC.
Check the airline schedules before you call.
Thank you and thank you too @EL LECHERO, I'm booked with a stop in Amsterdam then to Porto. I don't want to rebook because I'll miss my flight to Porto. Since Delta made the change I get to change my flight for free, no added fees. I think the best thing to do is to look at other flights with longer layover using the no fee rebooking option. I just don't understand why they do this. Rebook you on a flight with such an impossible short layover. :(

Thank you and thank you too @EL LECHERO, I'm booked with a stop in Amsterdam then to Porto. I don't want to rebook because I'll miss my flight to Porto. Since Delta made the change I get to change my flight for free, no added fees. I think the best thing to do is to look at other flights with longer layover using the no fee rebooking option. I just don't understand why they do this. Rebook you on a flight with such an impossible short layover. :(
I hope you have good luck with finding another schedule. I’ve had this happen to me several times in the past year on American Airlines. It is happening more and more because the flight loads and schedules are in such a constant state of flux that the airlines are cancelling and rescheduling a lot of flights at the last minute. About a month ago, I spoke with AA about a 35 minute connection in O’Hare (which for me always involves going from G gates to H,K, or L gates and can be a VERY long walk), and they explained that the computer automaticallly rebooks you to the “best” legal connection. In our case the other option was a 6 hour layover, so we went with their rebooking and made it. We have a similar short connection in a few weeks on a trip to Austin, so we’ll see if we are lucky two times in a row.

If you can find a better schedule without disrupting the international portion, I would rebook, but if you can’t, I would just leave it. If you miss your connection, they will then re-route you through another international transit hub. There are probably enough international flights leaving Seatac that they can get you there somehow if you don’t make the connection.

One thing you might do out of an abundance of caution is to have several later alternative schedules written down so you can be proactive with the agent if they have to rebook you. Telling them that you could go, for instance, Seattle-London-Porto or Seattle -Frankfurt-Porto, etc. at such and such a time could be very helpful.Good luck!

An emphatic "No!"

SEATAC has been my main "hub" airport for almost 25 years.

This MIGHT have been do-able before October 2001...MIGHT being the operative word.

Change flights and don't look back.

B

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My flights from Oregon to Lisbon have changed at least three times. At one point my connection in Denver before my flight to London went from and hour and a half to one hour, which I wasn't comfortable with before an international flight. However, before I could call my itinerary changed again. This time my flight from London to Lisbon was due to depart before my flight to London arrived!
A few days later I was notified of another change. Now I have long layovers in both San Francisco and London.
I don't know when you are flying @FourSeasons, but if it's still several months off you might just wait to see if the schedule changes again.

Peregrina2000 said
One thing you might do out of an abundance of caution is to have several later alternative schedules written down so you can be proactive with the agent if they have to rebook you. Telling them that you could go, for instance, Seattle-London-Porto or Seattle -Frankfurt-Porto, etc. at such and such a time could be very helpful.Good luck!

You also might check your current booked flights for their on-time records at flightaware.com.

In my opinion 40 minutes is really insufficient for an international connection! It would work in Geneva but not likely in your situation.

Usually USA international flights stop boarding at least 20 minutes before it pushes away from the gate. So you really don’t even have 40 minutes. Change your flight!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’d categorically agree ‘change your flight’. A current complication to the advice to suggest alternate routings is the ongoing divergence within Europe (geographically as well as politically) between countries in terms of the entry requirements with respect to covid. These are easing, slowly, but things still ain’t what they used to be.

I’d categorically agree ‘change your flight’. A current complication to the advice to suggest alternate routings is the ongoing divergence within Europe (geographically as well as politically) between countries in terms of the entry requirements with respect to covid. These are easing, slowly, but things still ain’t what they used to be.
Yes, that´s definitely another consideration. If she misses this very short connection then a flight the next day may make her Covid test out of date (providing that tests are still required when she flies)

I don’t disagree with all of those who think this is a terribly short connection time, but surely the airlines have statistical evidence about the numbers of connections made and missed with this connection time in this airport. The airlines don’t want you to miss your connection either, because then they have a bigger headache on their hands. I am not defending the airlines or their practice, just saying that they wouldn’t keep doing this if it were causing more problems than solutions. The airlines can’t book you on flights that don’t meet the minimum legal connection time, so I am assuming that those times were established based on some kind of real world evidence. I am also guessing that there is wiggle room in the door closing times when there are passengerts rushing around the airport to get to the gate - the airlines will know when you arrived, what gate you arrived at, etc — I have frequently sat on planes, both international and domestic, where the door was open past the stated time and a few more passengers arrived, usually out of breath but very happy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Peregrina2000 said
Really good idea. I really would like to stick with AMS to OPO because I had to pay an extra fee for this flight. I've been on the messaging with DELTA twice with no success, both agents say they can't see the flights I am wanting to change to even though I can clearly see them and I sent one agent a screenshot of the flights.

Last night I called Delta. I took the option to be called back within 4 hours, it took 7.5 hours to call me back. I should have changed when I had the agent on the line but she convinced me that 40 minutes would be enough time. Blasted!!! 😤😬🤣

I don’t disagree with all of those who think this is a terribly short connection time, but surely the airlines have statistical evidence about the numbers of connections made and missed with this connection time in this airport. The airlines don’t want you to miss your connection either, because then they have a bigger headache on their hands. I am not defending the airlines or their practice, just saying that they wouldn’t keep doing this if it were causing more problems than solutions. The airlines can’t book you on flights that don’t meet the minimum legal connection time, so I am assuming that those times were established based on some kind of real world evidence. I am also guessing that there is wiggle room in the door closing times when there are passengerts rushing around the airport to get to the gate - the airlines will know when you arrived, what gate you arrived at, etc — I have frequently sat on planes, both international and domestic, where the door was open past the stated time and a few more passengers arrived, usually out of breath but very happy.
I tend to agree. I have also experienced the same by waiting for other passengers to arrive. I’ll only have my backpack, like I said, I can run. 🤣 but I’ll still look at other flights offering a longer layover. I’d rather be proactive now then on day of travel.

I agree totally - and I may have missed this - but is the OP on one continuous multi-leg ticket? If not then the ‘not my problem’ rule apples.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What I found out from Delta is:

My first and second leg are married so if my first flight BOI is delayed the second flight SEA will be delayed. I can't just change the first leg to give me a longer layover without changing the second leg which would give me a shorter layover in AMS. There were really no other good options, at least none that would keep me from running. I'd rather run through SEATAC then wait at customs in AMS with only a one hour layover. I guess I'm running. 🏃🏻‍♀️
I agree totally - and I may have missed this - but is the OP on one continuous multi-leg ticket? If not then the ‘not my problem’ rule apples.
Yes, multi-leg itinerary.

Last edited:

My first and second leg are married so if my first flight BOI is delayed the second flight SEA will be delayed. I can't just change the first leg to give me a longer layover without changing the second leg which would give me a shorter layover in AMS. There were really no other good options, at least none that would keep me from running. I'd rather run through SEATAC then wait at customs in AMS with only a one hour layover. I guess I'm running. 🏃🏻‍♀️

If I remember once you land at Seatac you have to take a tram to the International terminal.....

My first and second leg are married so if my first flight is delayed the second flight will be delayed. I can't just change the first leg to give me a longer layover without changing the second leg which would give me a shorter layover in AMS. There were really no other good options, at least none that would keep me from running. I'd rather run through SEATAC then wait at customs in AMS with only a one hour layover. I guess I'm running. 🏃🏻‍♀️

Good luck!! SeaTac is my airport too. Your pilgrimage has officially begun. All this hassle will be over soon and you can just simply start walking instead of running! Let us know how it turns out🙏🏻

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you do a search for SEATAC arrivals (https://www.seattle-airport.com/seatac-arrivals...) and look for Boise (BOI?) you will find yesterday's and today's flights and the real time they arrived. Then click on the blue flight number, you'll see the gate # - they usually come in close to the same gates. Do the same for departures - scroll to the top of the page, upper left see FLIGHTS open the drop-down and click on DEPARTURES to find the Amsterdam flight - you can check several days to see about their on-time record.

From Boise to Seattle you will probably be on SkyWest (Delta designation, and arrives, for example, at gate B7A - closer than gate C2) or Horizon Air (Alaska Air designation and arrives gate C2).
This may give you a better idea of your situation.

Your Amsterdam flt leaves from S11, at the south satellite - you won't be able to run all the way - you will need to take the underground train to get to S terminal. I'm not sure how often they run, maybe every 5-8-10 minutes. I don't think you need to exit security, but...
Buen Camino, @FourSeasons !

BTW, I see that today, there were 2 Delta flts from Boi to Sea - one arr 08.48 (having departed boi at 07.54), and one arr 11.48 am (dep at 11.03).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you do a search for SEATAC arrivals (https://www.seattle-airport.com/seatac-arrivals...) and look for Boise (BOI?) you will find yesterday's and today's flights and the real time they arrived. Then click on the blue flight number, you'll see the gate # - they usually come in close to the same gates. Do the same for departures - scroll to the top of the page, upper left see FLIGHTS open the drop-down and click on DEPARTURES to find the Amsterdam flight - you can check several days to see about their on-time record.

From Boise to Seattle you will probably be on SkyWest (Delta designation, and arrives, for example, at gate B7A - closer than gate C2) or Horizon Air (Alaska Air designation and arrives gate C2).

Your Amsterdam flt leaves from S11, at the south satellite - you won't be able to run all the way - you will need to take the underground train to get to S terminal. I'm not sure how often they run, maybe every 5-8-10 minutes. I don't think you need to exit security, but...
How long would you think it takes to get through customs at AMS, before my connecting flight to Porto? I have the option to layover in SEA 1 hour 25 minutes then have a 1 hour in AMS. This option gets me into AMS at 8:05AM rather then later afternoon. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Is it quicker going through passport check in AMS than trying to catch a runaway plane in SEA? 🤣 I like the earlier flight options, before all the delays begin.

Last edited:
How long would you think it takes to get through customs at AMS, before my connecting flight to Porto? I have the option to layover in SEA 1 hour 25 minutes then have a 1 hour in AMS. This option gets me into AMS at 8:05AM rather then later afternoon. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Is it quicker going through passport check in AMS then trying to catch a runaway plane?? 🤣 I like the earlier flight options, before all the delays begin.
Sorry, can't help with AMS - I've not flown that route... But I know the Dutch are efficient!! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I detect a certain fragrance of "hopium" in some comments here and, I do agree with Goethe: “We always hope, and in all things it is better to hope than to despair.”

That said...here's the deal on the ground at SEATAC for someone arriving to SEATAC from "in-country"...and I am assuming that checked luggage is not a problem to be dealt with. (And, yes, I do not like dangling participles either but am in a bit of a hurry)

1) You land from domestic flight. (probability favors either "N" or "C" gates)

2) You move as fast as possible to the train. (Good luck running through that jam! A pictorial representation is attached for reference...) Because probability favors a departure from "S" gates.

1645495258111.png

3) "But wait, there's more!" You are more than likely going to have to get through security somewhere along the way. No, don't start anything with me on this.... as stupid as it sounds... it just IS....for many years.

Okay, you want constructive advice in detail?

a) See what you can arrange to go from BOI to BOS on a "red-eye"....they tend not to mess with scheduling on those as there is little economic benefit to them one way or the other. Basically, the airlines are just re-positioning planes and only give a secondary care to the number of passengers.

b) THEN see what is available from BOS to OPO... it is entirely possible that you can find reasonable compatibility with the other legs of flight that you have already scheduled. Or maybe you want to re-align plans? I have found "open-jaw" tickets to be the most economical while also reasonably accommodative of my lack of patience. (BTW, I have zero problems taking a nap at the gate in wee hours.)

YMMV, and Buen Camino!

B

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In that case I wouldn't worry or think about it right now. The schedules probably will change, so no point in trying to change anything now.
It’s so difficult not to get my ducks in a row. A lot of flights are not available now, at least not in Delta Comfort. I got a steal on my tickets. I can’t help to think that Delta is forcing me to cancel these flights then repurchase at a higher rate. However the 1 hour in AMS sounds more appealing because it will be early in the day and if I miss my flight to Porto, I’m sure I could easily be rebooked on a later flight, same day. Or take a train. 🤷🏻‍♀️ At least I’ll already be over there. When are you leaving? Soon? 😁

This is great and detailed information, I’ll definitely use. Thank you. 😎

. (And, yes, I do not like dangling participles either but am in a bit of a hurry)

You are in good company - Shakespeare used dangling participles.
It’s so difficult not to get my ducks in a row. A lot of flights are not available now, at least not in Delta Comfort. I got a steal on my tickets. I can’t help to think that Delta is forcing me to cancel these flights then repurchase at a higher rate.

Delta isn't trying to force you to cancel your flights. Airlines usually readjust their schedules twice a year, but with the pandemic it's happening more often. Sit tight. They have sold you a ticket from your home airport to Porto, and they have to deliver on that.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
SEATAC has also been my main airport, for the last 40+ years for me, and I used to fly a lot, so I know it pretty well. Now I haven’t been on a plane for the last two years, and perhaps I am out of date, but I think a 40 minute connection will be okay. Maybe not ideal, but manageable.

You are arriving at SEATAC from Boise, correct? And probably on Horizon, correct? If so, I can confirm that you’ll arrive at a B or C gate, which are in the main terminal. My connections from eastern WA use those B7A gates because they are for smaller aircraft. The flights to Europe leave from S terminal, but the little train thingie is super easy and quick. They come every few minutes.

I am pretty sure that you won’t have to go through security, unless something really wonky happens. Not normally. SEATAC is the home base for Alaska Air and they have customer service desks in the security area if you need that. As others have said, they do hold flights for passengers on a combined ticket. If for some reason you bought the first ticket separately, then they won’t. I have been one of those breathless, happy passengers arriving late to a plane due to a late arriving connecting flight … only to sit and wait another 10 minutes (no kidding) for another passenger whom I recognized from my first flight to also arrive. I guess I won that foot race!

Personally, I would just leave it be for now. Things will probably change again. And, personally, I would dash through SEATAC in order to get where I was going over kicking the trouble ball down the road, so to speak. First get there, then deal with problems, if any. Maybe there won’t be any.

No worries. 😁 Buen camino!

I thank everyone for helping me talk through this. Yes, things might change again however, as some of you were replying to my post I was on hold for a very long time then transferred then on hold with Delta for 2 hours. I had to muster all my patience while my flights were being changed. I changed to fly into Salt Lake City giving me one hour and 25 minutes to catch my AMS flight which I know is doable as I am familiar with SLC airport. Then one hour in AMS to get to Porto flight.

Funny thing is the third agent I spoke to put me in first class 🤣🤣 no wonder he said I would have to pay more. The fourth agent changed my reservation to a later date. Luckily I checked my res while still on the phone with her. The seats I had originally assigned myself were no longer available and just 3 seats left in Delta Comfort on the way to AMS. Oh and that seat to Porto which I paid $20 extra for, the agent couldn’t assign it to me unless I paid another $20. Thank goodness I have my receipt as I’ll be on the phone with KLM to straighten it out.

Persistence and patience are a must, hey am I on Camino already? Let’s Go!! 😎 Thank you all and God Bless.
2AE85438-7DE6-4648-8E04-29B06FF11340.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I thank everyone for helping me talk through this. Yes, things might change again however, as some of you were replying to my post I was on hold for a very long time then transferred then on hold with Delta for 2 hours. I had to muster all my patience while my flights were being changed. I changed to fly into Salt Lake City giving me one hour and 25 minutes to catch my AMS flight which I know is doable as I am familiar with SLC airport. Then one hour in AMS to get to Porto flight.

Funny thing is the third agent I spoke to put me in first class 🤣🤣 no wonder he said I would have to pay more. The fourth agent changed my reservation to a later date. Luckily I checked my res while still on the phone with her. The seats I had originally assigned myself were no longer available and just 3 seats left in Delta Comfort on the way to AMS. Oh and that seat to Porto which I paid $20 extra for, the agent couldn’t assign it to me unless I paid another $20. Thank goodness I have my receipt as I’ll be on the phone with KLM to straighten it out.

Persistence and patience are a must, hey am I on Camino already? Let’s Go!! 😎 Thank you all and God Bless.
View attachment 119042
Good job!

Sorry, can't help with AMS - I've not flown that route... But I know the Dutch are efficient!! :)
USE flightaware or another flight tracker to compare the arrival times to Amsterdam. Is this a flight that normally arrives on time? early? or is it continually late getting to its destination. Do so foryour flightswith8ntheUS as well. It will help you decide which way to go.

I myself, would deal with this now. 40 min. Is not enough time. Missing and rescheduling isn’t as easy as pie, as the flights to Portugal don’t run every hour and May mess up your other plans. Internationally I have learned to pick flights with at least 2 1/2 hours between to take the pressure off myself when INEVITABLE delays happen. Why do airlines do this?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I myself, would deal with this now. 40 min. Is not enough time. Missing and rescheduling isn’t as easy as pie, as the flights to Portugal don’t run every hour and May mess up your other plans. Internationally I have learned to pick flights with at least 2 1/2 hours between to take the pressure off myself when INEVITABLE delays happen. Why do airlines do this?
Fortunately, she has already dealt with it.

View attachment 119042

The airline changed our flights three times but only our departure flights and it was the return flights we were more concerned about. We finally cancelled because the flights were just getting worse.

We have heard to hold tight and book after February 28 because more routes will be available. Currently the prices are the same as when we originally booked four months ago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It’s so difficult not to get my ducks in a row. A lot of flights are not available now, at least not in Delta Comfort. I got a steal on my tickets. I can’t help to think that Delta is forcing me to cancel these flights then repurchase at a higher rate. However the 1 hour in AMS sounds more appealing because it will be early in the day and if I miss my flight to Porto, I’m sure I could easily be rebooked on a later flight, same day. Or take a train. 🤷🏻‍♀️ At least I’ll already be over there. When are you leaving? Soon? 😁

You probably do not want to take a train from Amsterdam to Porto! It is a LONG trip by train!! No direct trains and the extra time and money IMO won’t be worth it! Definitely fly to Portugal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back