• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

DETOUR: bridge out near Canfranc

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
The line bridge across the river between Canfranc Estacion and Canfranc Pueblo has been closed due with an unknown ETA of when it will reopen (it’s currently off its pylons). Instead of walking the trail, you’ll have to walk the highway shoulder for this stage.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The line bridge across the river between Canfranc Estacion and Canfranc Pueblo has been closed due with an unknown ETA of when it will reopen (it’s currently off its pylons). Instead of walking the trail, you’ll have to walk the highway shoulder for this stage.
Wow! What a bad place for the bridge to blow out! That stage on the highway is narrow. Please be careful everyone!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
i’ve walked the highway shoulder on this stretch. If you have a high visibility vest*, here would be the place to use it. Stay on the side facing oncoming traffic and stay alert. There is more traffic and some heavier trucks south of the Somport tunnel. I wasn’t ever frightened but I was always alert.

*I found a very lightweight hi-vis vest at a dollar store before I left home.

Thank you for this information, I’m on my way to the Camino Aragonese. In Sarrance today.

There were roadworks on a very narrow stretch of road before Estaut and Borce in early May. The advice given in Sarrance monastery and on notices enroute was to take the bus which we did. When I saw the narrow part of the road large vehicles had to negioate I was glad not to have walked it. Met a man in Canfranc Puebla who had stayed on the way but that was st the weekend so less heavy traffic. Be careful and take local advice. Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was happy to see this recent update on Gronze as I wasn't looking forward to walking along the shoulder of the road in just over 2 1/2 weeks:

Note August 2023: The bridge that crosses the Aragón River at the exit of Canfranc-Estación is closed. They have provisionally placed a wooden plank to cross the river (which avoids walking along the shoulder of the national road to Canfranc).

Does anyone have any images of this crossing? I've searched but can't find any and I'm curious as to how wide the crossing is.

Hello,
A temporary staircase has been installed to cross the river in Canfranc until the construction of the permanent footbridge is completed. It will be sturdier than the previously placed plank.
However, please be cautious during heavy rains, as the base of the staircase is located in the bed of the Rio Aragon.

Attachments

• IMG_1234.jpeg
    IMG_1234.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1236.jpeg
    IMG_1236.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1240.jpeg
    IMG_1240.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1238.jpeg
    IMG_1238.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So the stairway leads down to the riverbed and then you cross on the rocks?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It can be a busy road in the summer on weekends (especially when there are weekend cheese festivals, etc.) in Canfranc Estacion. Weekdays not so much...this is a busy tourist area on summer weekends though. If the water is low, I would go across the riverbed.

There is nothing dangerous about crossing this way. I was up there last week when the work was just starting on the temporary fix, and even without it, the river was easily crossed by someone reasonably fit.
The photos do not give a clear picture of the whole setup. There was never any big risk except in the Fall, when they let a whole lot of water loose.
Pilgrims have been doing this trail for a thousand years. Walking along the road wasn't big fun, but it wasn't fatal to anyone, not any more than this crossing is.

Yes, but 10m of difficulty against 4km along the road. And the path is beautiful.
And this is only temporary while waiting for the bridge to be rebuilt.
I’m very familiar with the beauty of that path (best section in the Aragonés in my opinion), but I was simply clarifying if the bridge had been replaced (no) or if it simply was a walkway to the riverbed which would be uncrossable with increased Spring snowmelt (yes?).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I’m very familiar with the beauty of that path (best section in the Aragonés in my opinion), but I was simply clarifying if the bridge had been replaced (no) or if it simply was a walkway to the riverbed which would be uncrossable with increased Spring snowmelt (yes?).
the river has a massive dam across it, upstream. I have not seen this part of the river in flood, ever, but I cannot imagine they will build even a temporary structure that's going to be carried away with the snow melt.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back