Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detour to Santa Eulalia de Bóveda

El Cascayal

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
23:Valença Var Espiritual Apr; Norte Cudillero Oct
I would recommend the detour to Bovéda after Lugo to see the mysterious ruins underneath the church.
David, would you please elaborate more on which detour you chose after Lugo and about the terrain.
I am hoping to walk this in April & trying to decide how to get to Bóveda. Thanks! Aymarah

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The turnoff to Bóveda is about 10 km or so after Lugo, after San Vicente do Burgo. I believe it is marked. Bóveda is about 2.5 km from the main route, but there is another way back that joins the main route a bit further on so it doesn't add a full 5 km to your day. I think it was mostly walking on quiet country roads, not difficult or challenging terrain.

David has described the road turn-off from the official Primitivo. It is obvious and straightforward. And as he said, you will not need to back-track, just continue on past the romanesque church at Bacurín and you will merge with the Camino.

I had visited this amazing site before but wanted to find a way to combine it with the Camiño Verde from Lugo (which goes to first to Friol and then on to Sobrado dos Monxes on the Norte, rather than Melide on the Francés). At the time I walked, those wooden platforms alongside the river were in terrible shape, and I couldn’t find the turnoff anyway. So I walked the official Primitivo with the detour to Santa. Eulalia, as David describes. At that point, I joined what was an alternative to the standard Camiño Verde, but had a problem on the side of a hill before a descent to Friol. You can see my discussion here.

There are two ways to take the Verde from Lugo to Friol. The more direct way, which doesn’t go through Bóveda, here.

The day from Friol to Sobrado was very straightforward, nice, but nothing spectacular. The last 8 or so kms are on the Norte, on the side of the road into Sobrado — tracks here.

Then there’s the way that goes from Lugo to Bóveda and then on to Friol. These are the tracks uploaded by the guy who is the primary Camiño Verde promoter. @notion900 has been our link between the forum and him, but she hasn’t been on the forum for a while.

Comparing @xms’ tracks for the two alternatives to Friol, it looks like they split somewhere around the hamlet of O Veral. And, again as far as I can tell, they never reconnect but take very different routes into Friol.

I think that if I were to do this again, I would take the Camiño Verde route to Santa Eulalia, and then head back to the official Primitivo and stay in Ferreira. The next day you can get from Ferreira to Sobrado if you want to go over to the Norte, but I thought Ferreira or San Román were nicer places to stop than Friol.

Let us know what you decide to do, @El Cascayal.

(And not to get off topic, but if you’re looking for an easy detour, the one to Soutomerille on the way into Lugo is five star - pre-romanesque window, through an amazing chestnut forest, with some trees marked with historical markers)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
(And not to get off topic, but if you’re looking for an easy detour, the one to Soutomerille on the way into Lugo is five star - pre-romanesque window, through an amazing chestnut forest, with some trees marked with historical markers)
Oh yes, Laurie, off topic please! Chestnut forest that’s all it takes. I will check it out and will provide an update once I am able to go! Thanks, Aymarah

Ah...eating ripe chestnuts in September ( though I confess I prefer mine roasted, in the end).

I go by a rule I learned in a tropical fruit park/garden outside Miami...I don't pick from the tree or vine. If it's on the Way (literally) and in good shape, then I glean. ;)

Now, back to your intended topic....;0

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back