• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Did I choose the Camino or ..........

Peter Clifton

Sore Feet Pete
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2016
As part of my training for my first Camino in May, I’m walking about 4 km to the swimming pool, having a swim, then walking the 4 kilometres back home. So today one of the regulars at the swimming pool asked me what I was doing. When I explained to him that I was in training to walk 800 km in Spain he just gave me this incredulous look and with an unsettling smirk on his face asked me, “Why……….. why would you want to do that?”

So on my walk back home from the pool I reflected on the reasons I was walking the Camino. When I first decided to walk the Camino a little over 12 months ago it was because it would be an adventure and I thought it would give me time to reflect and consider on what I should be doing, given that I'd recently retired. But now, after having read and watched so much about the Camino, having researched all that I could, having gathered all the necessary gear and equipment, I now feel that the Camino is not something that I would like to do but it is something that I NEED to do. It is almost like, I didn’t choose the Camino, the Camino chose me.

Does this mean that at 64 I'm turning into some sort of new age hippie (or whatever the modern day equivalent is) or are there other fellow pilgrims out there who've experienced such feelings.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am about to walk the Camino, and I would agree with everything you expressed. Except maybe the hippie part!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Peter
It's amazing how many Aussies are 'called' to the Camino. As a long distance walker, it was never on my radar but the Camino had other plans. It just kept appearing everywhere at the most inconvenient of times from many years ago and then one day I was given David Whyte's new book of poetry Pilgrim and my Way was decided. Impossible though to discuss it with family and friends who thought that walking across a country was one of the crazier things I wanted to do and that's saying something.

You're definitely not alone. Lots of kindred spirits here under all sorts of labels. @SYates posted a well known poem from along the Way that may speak to you too:

A well know poem by Eugenio Garibay Baños from a wall in Najera (CF), reads, in translation:

Dust, mud, sun and rain,
is the Way of Saint James;
thousands of pilgrims and more than a thousand years.

Pilgrim, who calls you?
What hidden force brings you here?
Nor the Way of the Stars,
nor the grand cathedrals.

Neither is it the courage of Navarra,
nor the Rioja wine.
Nor the seafood of Galicia,
nor the fields of Castilla.

Pilgrim, who calls you?
What hidden force attracts you?
It is not the people of the way
nor their rural customs.

Nor their history and culture.
Nor the cockerel of la Calzada,
nor Gaudi's palace,
nor the castle in Ponferrada.

Everything I see in passing is a joy,
but the voice which calls me,
I feel much deeper.

The force which pulls me,
that attracts me,
I cannot explain.
Only the one above knows why.

Good to see that you're into cross training. It will serve you well along the Way.

Buen Camino!

Hi Peter,
I first heard of the Camino when I overheard a neighbour speak of it. As soon as I heard the word 'Camino' I was intrigued and joined the conversation. Within 90 seconds I knew it was something I was going to do. I was not so much chosen by the Camino but gripped by the collar and propelled onto the Way. It was simply meant to be and I have been blessed by the experiences I have had on the Camino, both in solitude and in fellowship. If it is meant to be, it will be.
Aidan

My poor...:confused:

You haven't been called or chosen by the Camino, you have been bitten:oops: and you are now infected :eek:
The disease is well know and there is no known curative treatment, only palliative.
The good news are that been frequently on the forum and taking vacations in northern Spain will help to control the symptoms!

Known symptoms are:
  • Following every yellow arrow you find
  • Smiling like a silly when you see a shell
  • Reacting as to an electric shock when you hear the word "Camino"
Buen Camino dear friend in suffering,
Jacques-D.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

You haven't been called or chosen by the Camino, you have been bitten:oops: and you are now infected :eek:
The disease is well know and there is no known curative treatment, only palliative.
The good news are that been frequently on the forum and taking vacations in northern Spain will help to control the symptoms!

Known symptoms are:
Jacques-D.
Symptoms are quiet correct!! Also meeting someone that you've never seen before with a shell around their necks and greeting them like a long lost friend!! Waving to someone in a car with a Camino sticker on the back window (with a crazy smile on your face too!!) And do we really want a cure for this anyway?? Not really!

Echoing the above sentiments, the Camino calls and we listen. Upon returning I witnessed a coworker suddenly get the calling after hearing about my travels.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If some asks me why I wanted to walk the Camino, or to walk it again, I just do the old bit of answering a question with a question and ask right back, "why not"? Also it seems that most who wonder why someone would walk 800 km across a country are themselves, not very well traveled, and spent their lives in a small world. What little travelling they have done was on short, pre-packaged tours or on cruise ships. No offense to anybody out there, but that's never been my cup of tea. The thought of taking off for a month or so and walking that distance living off their back scares them a bit. Personally I like travel with no itinerary and away from the more commercialized places. I suppose that why I get a bit ruffled when I see the hints of over commercialization and pre-packaging on the Camino.

... it seems that most who wonder why someone would walk 800 km across a country are themselves, not very well traveled, and spent their lives in a small world. What little travelling they have done was on short, pre-packaged tours or on cruise ships. No offense to anybody out there, but that's never been my cup of tea. The thought of taking off for a month or so and walking that distance living off their back scares them a bit...
OR... they're trying to figure out what this tickle is in their brain and their restless legs, why they themselves want to walk it, and what kind of disease this is that we all share!

My first Camino will be in June-July this year. Through this forum, I sometimes feel the way has already started, as the spirit of other pilgrims is shared. It is a definite calling for me,, a 65 year old solo walker. I often reflect on how many life experiences were, amazingly, preparing me for this moment in my life. The Camino beckoned me, apparently, before I had even heard of it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You are not alone. :)

I was chosen by the Camino too. It's like it's written for me, and it cannot be changed. I did it and I have to do it again - I feel like, even if I didn't want to, it would be necessary for me, because it is my destiny.

It's strong words, but I don't know.. That's how I feel, and I'm loving it, really. :)

Known symptoms are:
Jacques-D.

Oh my, this couldn't have been truer words.... :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
As part of my training for my first Camino in May, I’m walking about 4 km to the swimming pool, having a swim, then walking the 4 kilometres back home. So today one of the regulars at the swimming pool asked me what I was doing. When I explained to him that I was in training to walk 800 km in Spain he just gave me this incredulous look and with an unsettling smirk on his face asked me, “Why……….. why would you want to do that?”

So on my walk back home from the pool I reflected on the reasons I was walking the Camino. When I first decided to walk the Camino a little over 12 montWellhs ago it was because it would be an adventure and I thought it would give me time to reflect and consider on what I should be doing, given that I'd recently retired. But now, after having read and watched so much about the Camino, having researched all that I could, having gathered all the necessary gear and equipment, I now feel that the Camino is not something that I would like to do but it is something that I NEED to do. It is almost like, I didn’t choose the Camino, the Camino chose me.

Does this mean that at 64 I'm turning into some sort of new age hippie (or whatever the modern day equivalent is) or are there other fellow pilgrims out there who've experienced such feelings.
Peter,
I too was called by the Camino and although I may have a bit of the hippie in me, i prefer to think that when we get older and retire we become more sensitive to our callings. Those stirrings aren't being crowded out anymore by the rush rush of schedules and agendas...Maybe that sounds a little new age-ish but do we really care? I head out of St. Jean Pied de Porte on May 15th.. See you there! Buen Camino!

So on my walk back home from the pool I reflected on the reasons I was walking the Camino. When I first decided to walk the Camino a little over 12 months ago it was because it would be an adventure and I thought it would give me time to reflect and consider on what I should be doing, given that I'd recently retired. But now, after having read and watched so much about the Camino, having researched all that I could, having gathered all the necessary gear and equipment, I now feel that the Camino is not something that I would like to do but it is something that I NEED to do. It is almost like, I didn’t choose the Camino, the Camino chose me.

Hello Peter, I have always felt that the Camino chose me as well.....

Hi Peter, I first heard about the Camino in the late nineties and immediately thought " that is something i could do" having always been a walker and over the years the word Camino would crop up and i was reminded about the walk. In 2009 i reached a time in my life where my thoughts were "you have to do something for yourself" and once again that Camino word was there reminding me about those intitial thoughts, I bought the book written by Aussie Tony Kevin who walked the Via de la Plata and i was hooked. I told my husband and sons what i going to do and with their support and continuing support i am heading off on my third Camino on 3rd April and yes i'm sure the Camino chose me and kept reminding me that it was something that was meant to be.

Beun Camino Judy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Peter. I agree with those who say it gets in your blood. I first heard of the Camino a few years ago when a friend suggested that I watch the movie, The Way. I thought it was interesting and walking the Camino went on the "maybe" part of my bucket list. Then in December of 2013, the same friend, who is several years deep into his battle with Parkinson's disease, asked me if I would go with him to help fulfill his dream. I went with him for two weeks in March 2014 (for the first 155 miles of Camino Frances, starting in SJPdP). So many people have been kind to me in my life; it was a privilege to give back/pay it forward by being there as his support person and friend. It was a lot of work, but rewarding. However, I only got a taste of the Camino because I was so focused on helping my friend. (He completed 350 miles in 2014, then went back in 2015 with a mutual friend and made it to SdC!)

Several months after I returned to the U.S., I noticed that I was longing for something. I needed more of what I only had a brief taste of on the Camino: camaraderie, kindness, simple purpose, and being outdoors for days on end. The Camino satisfies something in us that is hard to define or describe to others. I've been dreaming of going back since then, and I will in Sept/Oct, this time with my son who has been away from home in the military for five years. I can't wait to see how we are both changed by the Camino, and by walking it together.

Buen Camino!

Peter,
I too was called by the Camino and although I may have a bit of the hippie in me, i prefer to think that when we get older and retire we become more sensitive to our callings. Those stirrings aren't being crowded out anymore by the rush rush of schedules and agendas...Maybe that sounds a little new age-ish but do we really care? I head out of St. Jean Pied de Porte on May 15th.. See you there! Buen Camino!

Too true, "do we really care?"
I leave SJPD on May 17th. Hope to see you along the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do you Pigrim..

Moved to tears at the mention of the wise...yet,Ever Green road not yet traveled
Sigh.the lover long unrequited
The river, far from united with the arms of the welcoming sea?

longing-longing-Longing!
For the whisper..in reverent silent soul

This...
THIS is what I am For!!
He thunders...

Heart pounding in shuttered breast!
Heaving bosom,
Tears unleashed from nest
To fall pon woundrous face

To reach at last..
Place.

Cast your voice into the nite!
I am HERE!

Murmurs
Voices
All your choices
I am here...

Stars overhead nod in sage delight
The River goes to join the Sea

The Pilgrim joins the stream at last

The pull in the heart is stronger by far
When the wind speaks outside windows pane..
The call on soul was always dear...
When silent raindrops fell
Who else but you to tell?

The distance you walk will never equal the distance you have traveled.

Be Blessed Pilgrim

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back