• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Different gear for winter Camiño

Time of past OR future Camino
December 2022
I did a winter Camino and carried a 50L pack. By the end I had it down to about 24 pounds. Could have shaved off a lot more with a lighter pack and sleeping bag.

I walked long enough for the weather to warm up and saw people with 30L packs that made me envious.

Curious how you would adapt your gear for a cold versus warm Camino? This round I’ll buy warmer and lighter clothes and gear. Don’t think I want to go smaller than 40L for a pack because I like extra room for Vino, baguettes, blueberries and queso.

Last year I started with a heavy full leather boot because I was expecting a lot of rain and mud but switched to trail runners (stuck with gortex though!) with no problem. My down jacket was heavy and bulky so will go lighter this time. Had some heavy fleece I will upgrade to something more reasonable. And go with a lighter pack.

I think I have a good plan and just need to choose the gear but curious what you all would add to your pack for colder, wetter, darker conditions 🤷‍♂️

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've often thought about a Winter Camino...... but then I experience some cold weather and think again!

It was wet/cold weather that finally drove me out of the UK to Australia some 30 years ago. And I tend to forget what being cold is like. I came home to Sydney from Santiago last month and almost froze to death. It was 12C :oops:

But seriously.......

I carry a 34L pack. I think I might need a 40L for a Winter Camino.

I normally walk a Camino in the temp range of 5-35C with my current gear OK.

Not that I have walked a Winter Camino, but I have done lots of Winter Hill walking in the UK Lake District and similar years ago. i.e. well below zero, that needed ice axes....!

So I think that all I would change is.........
  1. Ditch trail runners for lightweight gor-tex boots (used them before and loved them)
  2. Add some gaiters.
  3. Add thermal lightweight long johns.
  4. Probably add a lightweight thermal base layer.
  5. Swap out 125 gsm merino shirts for 200-250 gsm.
  6. Add some warmer gloves
  7. Add a woolen hat.
  8. Maybe........upgrade my 5-10C sleeping bag.

Last edited:
I have done some winter caminos - I manage with a 30litre rucksack. There have been some good previous winter camino packing discussions so worth having a search for them.
I am Irish - so cool and wet is my normal and I am quite comfortable hiking in that 2-15°C window...
The key is layers! Base layers -top and bottom are important. And you can't do washing every day, so things like an extra pair or two of underwear are a good idea. I am also a fan of merino in winter (plus it doesn't smell as much which is helpful gven washing clothes in winter is trickier). And warm hat and gloves are essential. I have a down jacket but I try to keep this for the evenings when I have finished. And waterproofs - I am a jacket, trousers and an umbrella girl but each to their own preference.
I generally switch over to goretex boots in winter which are relatively light.
I also carry a fluorescent reflective vest - useful in poor weather (such as fog) or when making an early start or later arrival with less daylight.
As far sleeping gear I have played with different options - I have used a cheap quilt with liner or a sleeping bag rated for 0°C - (which often is too much as i end up with taking layers off, and opening the zip).
It's also a good idea to make sure your gear inside your pack has a waterproof layer protecting it- whether you line the rucksack with a large bin bag or use drybags.

In winter it definitely it is necessary to carry some food, even on the CF. Snacks for during the day but also something to make a meal in the evening if the shop/bar etc are closed. I normally carry some sort of container and a spork for this reason. I have even carried a flask on some winter caminos when there was less chance of a bar being open for a hot drink.

Finally- pick your winter camino carefully! Southern routes compared to northern Spain can be different, or so can the Portuguese compared to the CF. Though if you get some very cold weather or poor weather conditions it's always possible to stop for a few days and let it pass.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have not done one myself, but considering someday starting in Germany around March or April, so did give it some thinking, but it's all theory so far:

1. I'd switch from trailrunners to light boots with some waterproofing.
2. I'd take some thicker socks.
3. Maybe even a pair of waterproof socks.
4. Some long underwear.
5. An extra fleece pullover.
6. Switch my Atom SL for a Atom LT.
7. Maybe switch my rain kilt for rain trousers.
8. Maybe switch my rain jacket for a more robust one.
9. Maybe switch my fleece gloves for ones with some waterproofing.
10. Take an extra beanie hat.
11. Maybe switch my 13°C comfort sleeping bag for a warmer one.

I guess that would still mean my backpack would be around 5kg and I'm sure i could fit all of it in it's 28L internal compartment.
Since this is my scenario for starting in the late winter of Germany and arriving in Summer in Spain, i would in all likeliness send home or replace some items during my trip.

. I'd switch from trailrunners to light boots with some waterproofing.
2. I'd take some thicker socks.
3. Maybe even a pair of waterproof socks.
4. Some long underwear.
5. An extra fleece pullover.
6. Switch my Atom SL for a Atom LT.
7. Maybe switch my rain kilt for rain trousers.
8. Maybe switch my rain jacket for a more robust one.
9. Maybe switch my fleece gloves for ones with some waterproofing.
10. Take an extra beanie hat.
11. Maybe switch my 13°C comfort sleeping bag for a warmer one.
In winter, I would make minor tweaks to my clothing, similar to what @Anhalter suggests. I wouldn't expect it to be more that 1 kg and a couple of litres more than my spring/fall packing.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I start 3 Jan 24 from SJPP. My 2nd winter Camino. 38l pack, 9.2kgs before water and food. Merino base layer long sleeve T-shirt, mid layer zip up, lightweight fleece and gortex jacket. But would have to be -5 C before all of that was needed. I break out in a sweat if I even see a hill! Winter hiking pants and longjohns although it will have to get really cold before I wear both for hiking. Longjohns really are for sleep wear. Will put rain pants on first before resorting to the longjohns during the day. I still feel like I’m taking too much but unsure of just how cold it might get January and early Feb. Coming out of an Australian summer so probably tending to be more conservative and take extra clothes “just in case”. Wouldn’t do that other times of year, but prepared to carry a bit extra of backpack weight given possible poor conditions.

As always, layers. Merino vest, long sleeve technical T-shirt or merino top, fleece + rainproof jacket.
Merino tights under trousers or skirt.
Wooly hat and gloves and buff.
Ah, gaiters are useful too in winter!

Mine was a 50L, but then all of the Summer and Winter portions of my last Camino involved a good deal of sleeping out, so I needed more kit and a heavier sleeping bag than most would. Once I'd gotten through most of my medications last year over the late Spring, Summer and early Autumn, I had easily enough free space in the pack for supplies and whatnot in the "Winter". Even a book or two.

But I had to carry my Winter kit in midsummer ... o_O

If you're sure of always being able to sleep indoors, then a 35L is likely to be big enough for many pilgrims -- provided it's big enough for a light but warm sleeping bag (you DO need one on a Winter Camino !!) and all your other kit plus a small amount of space left over (you don't need that much extra space, as your clothes will become more compact as a matter of course after a week or so, and that will "create" more volume).

If you're more bothered by the cold than most, and you also need some woollens and a thicker hiking jacket and a cosier sleeping bag, then you might need a 40L to 50L instead.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.