• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how to market Camino gear?

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2022 Frances September 2023 Portuguese
Hello, my very talented and also Camino obsessed struggling artist daughter recently designed me the cutest hats and buff for the Camino, and I was wondering if anyone knew a Camino site where she is allowed to sell that? Etsy of course, but it would be so much more appropriate on a specific Camino site. I hope this is ok to post Ivar! Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The forum has a Resources section where some forum members market their Camino gear in the Equipment and Gear section. From the Resources page, select Equipment and Gear on the left, then Add Resource on the right in orange button.

Not sure of the etiquette for "who's allowed to market their Camino stuff," though. There's someone recently selling some nice looking shampoo and conditioner bars, so Camino hats and buffs are probably in a similar vein.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Advertising on here could be a start.

Don’t call the ‘buff’ a ‘Buff’ though; the IP holder takes their rights very seriously.

Tubular scarf? Multi-purpose neck warmer?
Thanks yes, that is so funny because I put it on a FB site under gaiter (with a picture) and everyone asked what I was talking about-told me to call it a buff!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks yes, that is so funny because I put it on a FB site under gaiter (with a picture) and everyone asked what I was talking about-told me to call it a buff!

I seem to remember Ivar marketing some good quality whatevertheyare’s several years ago and describing them as Buffs. I think the trademark owner made contact soon after.

A near identical product was standard army issue in the UK in the 1980’s, so the concept can’t be patented - just the name trademarked.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Don’t call the ‘buff’ a ‘Buff’ though; the IP holder takes their rights very seriously.
Good point. You could however get away with using another name and then immediately after in brackets put ' buff style ' ,'like a buff', or 'very similar to a buff' - something along those lines. Check out a famous brand (Crocs perhaps?) and then look for rip-offs of the same and you'll see what I mean.

True. List it as a Buff and expect a fast sharp letter from their lawyers! Snood is a good generic name.
Possibly add "not by Buff" on a listing (and then see what happens?).

Could you post up some photos? - add photo, click 'insert', click 'full image'.

Etsy is very big in the States but there is also Pinterest, which is a good platform for artists and artisans.

All selling platforms charge fees, you could sell on Ebay (if you add an international postage option it will automatically appear globally) .. in the UK it costs 35p per 30 days per listing, 12.9% + 30p sale fee - and the rascals also charge that 12.9% on listed postage too - so these would need to be factored in to the selling price. You can also open a basic store - no listing fees - for £34 inc vat.

You could find Camino outlets and sell through them? They list her products and a fee to them for each sale and you directly post from home?

She would need a cool descriptive name, something that won't sound silly in a year.
Mine is The Camino Store .. hers would possibly be more specific - Camino headgear? oh dear, but what if she starts making socks? :eek: 😂

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last edited:
The term “Buff” has come to be accepted as a generic description among people who engage in outdoor activities or sports - the Camino included. In this regard, it becomes a cultural construct like “Kleenex,” or any other ubiquitous item we use and take for granted each day.

Ironically, and IIRC, the original Buff was developed by a fellow from Barcelona who regularly rode his motorcycle in colder weather. He experimented with his wife’s cut down panty hose, until ht got it right. The rest is history.

Hope this helps,

Tom

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.