• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

disaster in my life

rioja routard

Hello

Trying to cope with what feels like a breakdown. Seriously thinking about taking some time off work and just going to either Pamplona or Astorga. People seem have detailed plans but I thinking of just going for it. Don't feel up to planning an itinerary at the moment. Just need to walk. Did a walk 2 weeks ago to Vezelay with my sister which helped but I need to get better. I've just too much sadness in me to cope with daily life at the moment and I think doing this will be the only thing that can help me.

Good luck everyone

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
my healing place would be lying on the floor of the dining room of the bishop's palace in astorga soaking up the sunshine thru the stained glass windows

i don't suppose they'd let me

anyway my heart goes out to you and i'll bet i'm not the only one

i don't know how old you are but i'm 56 and i can tell you that altho life still presents me with challenges (my boyfriend just traded me in for another model, for example), life has also blessed me with tools for dealing with them that i didn't have when i was younger

in fact, just about the time the physical problems start to manifest themselves, the emotional problems start to ease up

heh heh heh

can't catch a break

i've walked the camino alone twice and both times the camino broke me to pieces

but then it helped me put down the burdens of the past so that a more authentic self could emerge

if i were in spain and feeling shaky i might call up jan and mariluz or jesus jato and say hey can i come and help out for a couple of weeks

anyway my point is i love you, i care about you, i want for you what you want for yourself and other people love you and care about you too tho it may be hard to see that right now

as steve earle says, " sometimes the road's been rocky 'long the way, boys"

always makes my think of that bajada after cizur menor

i'm calling on the goddesses to embrace you

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I read your message and just want to say that we all go through trouble and sadness in life and you are having a big dose of that at the moment, I'm sure there are many of us out there who are surrounding you with care and support right now. I read read a wonderful book by Sue Kenney about the Camino - she would pick up a stone as she walked and when she put it down she put down some sorrow with it. Good for the soul, or the spirit, or whatever it is inside us that moves us.
Wishing that you well in your journey towards peace and happiness. It will happen for you again.
Magnara

The Phoenix

"Out of the ashes of the past, new life is born." - White Eagle

Sometimes, in order to begin again, we must let everything fall down around our ears - give up trying to save it -- then take a big broom, sweep off our foundation, and begin afresh.

You are in my thoughts and prayers,
Deborah

A selection of Camino Jewellery
thanks for messages of support

Thanks to all the kind compassionate people out there.
I am just finishing stuff at work and taking the night train to Irun tonight.
Then either Pamplona or Burgos, get a pilgrim passport and get walking.
This is the only thing that I need at the moment. Hopefully I can regroup my strength and get better. To anyone else with sadness in their heart my prayers go to you, you are not alone in the road of suffering.

Peace

James

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"in fact, just about the time the physical problems start to manifest themselves, the emotional problems start to ease up " leslie

So true leslie - anyone with physical pain (back, longstanding, chronic) might do well to read John Sarno's book - 'The Divided Mind' which has much to say about the emotions, stress and physical pain. It has certainly helped me get better after 20+ years of pain...

grayland said:
Very nice sentiment buterfly7.

However, you might note that this thread is from 2006 and the OP probably will not see your comments.
to dear, silly me, well spotted Grayland!!!!!

Amazing that 7 years on someone says all the best on your journey but just as relevent as we are all on our journey. It was the best thing I every did walking that way and I am still touched in a special way by making that walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here I am, struggling again, dealing with crisis and grief.
I thought I had remedied my crooked path by previous caminos.
Experience tells me that I can only help myself by walking again.
Heading to Spain tomorrow for the camino del norte.
Really lost.
Hi James. I'm not sure it helps, but many of us have been where you are.
I find the days of solitude really help me get through the fire and clear my mind.
May you find peace and healing on your Camino.
God Bless you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Really lost.
Is there anyone close to you who you could talk to? It’s a rhetorical question, it’s none of my business - but I’m fairly sure several of us on here have been through dark times and help is often close at hand if one is prepared to open up.

Good luck, whatever you do.

Hello

Trying to cope with what feels like a breakdown. Seriously thinking about taking some time off work and just going to either Pamplona or Astorga. People seem have detailed plans but I thinking of just going for it. Don't feel up to planning an itinerary at the moment. Just need to walk. Did a walk 2 weeks ago to Vezelay with my sister which helped but I need to get better. I've just too much sadness in me to cope with daily life at the moment and I think doing this will be the only thing that can help me.

Good luck everyone
Sometimes you have to allow yourself to break. Its not a crime or a thing of shame. The hard part is getting whole again and the Camino can be a gsreet healer.

Take me with Rioja , there must be plenty of place in your giant pack by the looks of it - I will be your Bar and Restaurant guide.🥳

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Really lost.
Walking
Hello

Good luck everyone
Hi matey, I can strongly sense the helplessness in your words. A Camino is not a solution to deep routed issues, which it reads like you have suffered for a number of years. These kind of problems are like our shadows...try as we might, we can't walk away from them. We have temporary respite, but they are still there lurking. Your Camino will give you the kind of special experience you remember, but you should seek professional help ASAP to hopefully assist you to move on permanently. God bless and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
@RobertKincaid We all have different ways of dealing with things, and there isn't one fix for all. We don't know what's going on in the life of the person who wrote the opening post, and don't know which measures they have already taken and which help they already got apart from walking the Camino. What I do know is that doing something positive that makes you feel better is always a good choice when you're so down, and walking is a healthy way to cope, even if it might not be a long term solution.

That being said: The Camino certainly is not a solution itself. But it can be helpful in rethinking things to find actual long term solutions. It can be a very powerful and life changing experience and tool to work on things.

One should not expect miracles, of course, but it shouldn't be downplayed also.

Speaking from experience here, as someone who first walked in times of great despair. When all professional help was not helping, the Camino did.

Therefore I wish you a buen Camino, @rioja routard , and hope that you'll find what you're looking for, or at least some bright days that bring you some relief. All the best for you.

Last edited:
The path is not a straight line but a deepening spiral, a circling. Never back to exactly the same darkness, but going ever deeper.
Take care and buen camino, James. May you have all strength for the way, and all the blessings of it, too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.