• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Disposable Bedding

Murray duplessis

Time of past OR future Camino
None
When we did part of the Camino Frances last year, every albergue provided us with disposable bedding (thin bed cover and pillow case). As much as I love the Camino, this really bothered me, from an environmental perspective. Pilgrims simply disposed of this bedding the morning after in the rubbish bins, so I am assuming these things are not even recycled (let alone re-used).

Does anyone have any insight into this? Has it been going on for a long time? Is it to try to prevent the spread of bed-bugs?

I feel there must be a way around this waste. Any comments would be much appreciated!

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My experience on the Camino was that most, but not all albergues provided the disposable bedding, which appeared to me to be made from a paper and fabric combination. Definitely a bit of a waste environmental wise, but I suppose they're really not made for re-use. The purpose of the disposable bedding is hygiene I am sure. To keep the mattresses clean as some pilgrims on the Camino have dubious personal hygiene habits. I remember a few you smelled before you saw. Lol.

They must be simply for general hygiene, as they don't serve any bedbug protective purpose. You could choose to keep the first sheet you are given, and instead of disposing of it, pack it with you to re-use for several nights. Don't unwrap the new one you are given and just leave it behind. Some people will probably think (without thinking) that you simply must use a fresh one each night "to protect against spreading bedbugs" but I cannot think of any way that would help. After all, your sleeping bag and sleeping clothes are being re-used in the next place.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It would be interesting to investigate the carbon/environmental footprint of using one of these per night vs daily laundry, with use of water, soap and electricity. I hate those paper sheets as they don’t even stay put on the bed, so in the end they cover nothing, not serving a purpose at all.

Many more albergues are offering fully made beds with clean sheets these days. Lots of water and soap being used, but such luxurious comfort.

Many more albergues are offering fully made beds with clean sheets these days. Lots of water and soap being used, but such luxurious comfort.

Several of the provinces through which camino routes pass have either introduced or are proposing new regulations which demand that private albergues meet certain minimum standards on facilities - including the provision of "real" bed linen. This is an attempt to bring their regulations in line with more general tourist hostels. Many albergue owners have pointed out problems in the proposals. Bed linen is a key issue. The new standards vary by province but generally include a requirement to provide fresh bedding every three or four days - the exact time frame varies according to the classification of the hostel. Albergue owners have pointed out that by their very nature pilgrim albergues have a very high turnover and interpreting the new rules literally would either mean fresh linen daily or - unpleasant thought - linen being reused several times by different occupants before washing. Not the intention of the rules of course but a possibility. Another bone of contention is that while private albergues must meet these high standards those run by the Galician Xunta are specifically exempt from them.

I am also concerned at the high environmental cost of disposable bedsheets and pillow covers. Those which are provided often seem inadequate in any case - very easily torn and difficult to keep in place. On my earliest Camino Frances journeys in 1990 and 2002 it was very rare to find any bedding in albergues or refugios as it was simply assumed that those walking would carry a sleeping bag or blankets. In more recent years there seems to be a growing obsession with reducing pack weight and a corresponding assumption that more will be provided by the albergues themselves. Personally I feel that it might be better if there was a much clearer distinction between pilgrim albergues and tourist facilities: one providing a much simpler basic minimum standard of shelter while those who are looking for greater comfort and a wider range of facilities could make use of the many private options available along the ways. Unlikely to happen though as pilgrims' expectations and sense of entitlement only ever seem to grow higher as time passes.

Several of the provinces through which camino routes pass have either introduced or are proposing new regulations which demand that private albergues meet certain minimum standards on facilities - including the provision of "real" bed linen. This is an attempt to bring their regulations in line with more general tourist hostels. Many albergue owners have pointed out problems in the proposals. Bed linen is a key issue. The new standards vary by province but generally include a requirement to provide fresh bedding every three or four days - the exact time frame varies according to the classification of the hostel. Albergue owners have pointed out that by their very nature pilgrim albergues have a very high turnover and interpreting the new rules literally would either mean fresh linen daily or - unpleasant thought - linen being reused several times by different occupants before washing. Not the intention of the rules of course but a possibility. Another bone of contention is that while private albergues must meet these high standards those run by the Galician Xunta are specifically exempt from them.

I am also concerned at the high environmental cost of disposable bedsheets and pillow covers. Those which are provided often seem inadequate in any case - very easily torn and difficult to keep in place. On my earliest Camino Frances journeys in 1990 and 2002 it was very rare to find any bedding in albergues or refugios as it was simply assumed that those walking would carry a sleeping bag or blankets. In more recent years there seems to be a growing obsession with reducing pack weight and a corresponding assumption that more will be provided by the albergues themselves. Personally I feel that it might be better if there was a much clearer distinction between pilgrim albergues and tourist facilities: one providing a much simpler basic minimum standard of shelter while those who are looking for greater comfort and a wider range of facilities could make use of the many private options available along the ways. Unlikely to happen though as pilgrims' expectations and sense of entitlement only ever seem to grow higher as time passes.
I was always quite happy without any linen provided. I never needed any, thus the sleeping bag I carried. Just a nice, clean bunk with one of those enclosed, vinyl covered mattresses is all that's needed. Be a shame if the albergues were forced to provide linen.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, I suspect changing to washable sheets would be an equally bad option. IMO the solution lies in changing the mattress instead. I have been on several overnight hikes in South Africa where the mattresses in the mountain huts are the type that are sealed in what I guess is a kind of vinyl - that soft, shiny material. Admittedly these mattresses are harder than your normal mattress, but as pilgrims we can handle that! Also, I doubt these attract bed bugs as their surface is impenetrable. And they need a simple wipe-down with a damp cloth to clean. If the albergues could get on board with this I feel we could reduce a lot of waste.

... are sealed in what I guess is a kind of vinyl - that soft, shiny material. ...
If the albergues could get on board with this I feel we could reduce a lot of waste.
Those are already in use in many albergues but apparently they cost a small fortune. According to Acacio they are a medical grade lining which explains their cost.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Quite a few albergues on the CF had the disposable sheets which I didn't mind using. However I always bring my own fitted sheet and pillowcase sprayed with Permathrin. I disliked the bunks that often had unwashed cotton sheets and a few times saw the remains of bodily fluids on them.:eek: I prefer the vinyl covered mattresses to which I then add my own sheet and my sleeping bag.

Yes, I suspect changing to washable sheets would be an equally bad option. IMO the solution lies in changing the mattress instead. I have been on several overnight hikes in South Africa where the mattresses in the mountain huts are the type that are sealed in what I guess is a kind of vinyl - that soft, shiny material. Admittedly these mattresses are harder than your normal mattress, but as pilgrims we can handle that! Also, I doubt these attract bed bugs as their surface is impenetrable. And they need a simple wipe-down with a damp cloth to clean. If the albergues could get on board with this I feel we could reduce a lot of waste.

When you were on the hikes in South Africa was there 250,000-300,000 plus people on the way?
Then you can add all the ones who walk but are not interested in signing off when finished.
Suggest Murray you first clean up all the rubbish [ paper and plastic] and graffiti and vandalism of signs before we start loading up people who provide you with a very inexpensive night with extra costs.

Mate i have now reached the clean sheets , en suites , and private rooms and i really don't know how i did it without them;)
The best way for the environment is camp out taking your rubbish and leaving only your foot print .

Last edited:
This conversation reminds me of James Clavell's Shōgun, where English sailor John Blackthorne calls to mind the bedding he was accustomed to - 'rancid' sheets. :eek:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would never expect an albergue to provide me with freshly washed sheets for the modest rates we pay as pilgrims. I do always hope for general cleanliness of the facility, but if the expectation is that the sheets be laundered on 20-100 bunks on a daily basis, then hotels and Casa Rurals should be the lodgings of choice along the Way.

I would never expect an albergue to provide me with freshly washed sheets for the modest rates we pay as pilgrims.
On my 1st C. 10 years ago I caught a terrible cold, walking up the Napoleon route in the rain and waiting for my laundry to be ready at the Jesus & Maria albergue in Pamplona. Bu the time I got to Puente de la Reina I was a mess, nose running none stop. I tried to check into tue Jakue bit there was a sign on the door sayong they were closed due to illnes. So the albergue it was, with my cold. I felt soooo bad. I to,d the hopsy about my condition and where I had slept. I now carry my own pillowcase.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On my 1st C. 10 years ago I caught a terrible cold, walking up the Napoleon route in the rain and waiting for my laundry to be ready at the Jesus & Maria albergue in Pamplona. Bu the time I got to Puente de la Reina I was a mess, nose running none stop. I tried to check into tue Jakue bit there was a sign on the door sayong they were closed due to illnes. So the albergue it was, with my cold. I felt soooo bad. I to,d the hopsy about my condition and where I had slept. I now carry my own pillowcase.
I have suffered with really bad colds on all three of my caminos even with my own pillowcase. Ya just never know. :(

I was always quite happy without any linen provided. I never needed any, thus the sleeping bag I carried. Just a nice, clean bunk with one of those enclosed, vinyl covered mattresses is all that's needed. Be a shame if the albergues were forced to provide linen.
Yes, if the albergues were forced to provide clean linens, then we who use them would be forced to pay higher prices.

Last edited:
For environment protection, I don’t like disposable bedding.
I will bring my personal nylon sheet (very light weight n thin) to cover bed n pillow, and then put on my home-made sleeping bag fit for my body size, for my CF in late March this year.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For environment protection, I don’t like disposable bedding.
I will bring my personal nylon sheet (very light weight n thin) to cover bed n pillow, and then put on my home-made sleeping bag fit for my body size, for my CF in late March this year.
Where does one find such a sheet?

@Momonne, bargain shops. I got a set including fitted sheet, top sheet and pillow case for $5.99. I take the fitted sheet on the camino. It weighs 156 g, is comfortable to sleep on, and when washed it dries in an instant. Plus it is made of tightly woven material that I like to think discourages bedbugs. ;)
Have had the occasional hospy forbid me using it and instead made me use the paper sheets that can scrunch up and don’t cover the mattress. Hey ho! Mind you the latest version of paper sheets work much better than those from a couple of years ago.
Pick which is my bed!
24003CEE-412C-417E-A815-1338B564C76C.jpeg
Australian pillow slips don’t fit most Spanish pillows so what I do is keep one of those paper pillow slips to use in albergues that have cloth or vinyl pillow slips.

Last edited:
Where does one find such a sheet?

I went to cloth shops to find suitable light-weight windproof cloth for my home-made sleeping bag. This kind of cloth is thin n light-weight for the inner layer of windproof jacket. I will choose a thinner windproof cloth for my personal bed sheet. We buy cloth according to length. I will buy n sew the cloth into a 200*90cm bed sheet to cover bed n pillow under the sheet.

Unlike cotton cloth, this kind of cloth is no need to wash often, just keep it clean, easy to wash n dry quickly. Also, it is cheap, for 200*90cm is about 3.5 euros in my country. Price varies from country to country, but not expensive, I think.

Hope the above will help.

I went to cloth shops to find suitable light-weight windproof cloth for my home-made sleeping bag. This kind of cloth is thin n light-weight for the inner layer of windproof jacket. I will choose a thinner windproof cloth for my personal bed sheet. We buy cloth according to length. I will buy n sew the cloth into a 200*90cm bed sheet to cover bed n pillow under the sheet.

Unlike cotton cloth, this kind of cloth is no need to wash often, just keep it clean, easy to wash n dry quickly. Also, it is cheap, for 200*90cm is about 3.5 euros in my country. Price varies from country to country, but not expensive, I think.

Hope the above will help.
If you find out the name of the material, I would love to know what it is as I tried to find something that resembles my puff jacket and noine seems to carry it. With the proper name I might have more luck.

If you find out the name of the material, I would love to know what it is as I tried to find something that resembles my puff jacket and noine seems to carry it. With the proper name I might have more luck.

I think the texture is polyester likely, similar to sleeping bag linen or lightweight windproof sport jacket. You may go to cloth shops to find if they have similar cloth: lightweight is the key.

@Momonne, bargain shops. I got a set including fitted sheet, top sheet and pillow case for $5.99. I take the fitted sheet on the camino. It weighs 156 g, is comfortable to sleep on, and when washed it dries in an instant. Plus it is made of tightly woven material that I like to think discourages bedbugs. ;)
Have had the occasional hospy forbid me using it and instead made me use the paper sheets that can scrunch up and don’t cover the mattress. Hey ho! Mind you the latest version of paper sheets work much better than those from a couple of years ago.
Pick which is my bed!
View attachment 38663
Australian pillow slips don’t fit most Spanish pillows so what I do is keep one of those paper pillow slips to use in albergues that have cloth or vinyl pillow slips.
Love this Heda. My bunk is also the only one looking "one of a kind" with my cheapie Dollar Store fitted sheet and pillow case; mine is purple with big pink flowers on it. I'm not gonna miss which bunk is mine coming in at night...vino or no vino!o_O
As for the Spanish pillows, "ain't no pillowcase gonna fit on em", no matter what country you hail from!:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
" .......All across the nation there's a new vibration , people in motion ...... etc , etc "
San Fran a long way from Illinois mate:)
Great song however giving my age away.
I remember that song, loved it! It really takes me back, way back to jr. high...guess I gave my age away.:D

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back