• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doctor in Burgos or Leon

Amori

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking from Siena (Italy) to Santiago
Hey, I am looking for any recommendations for English speaking doctors in Burgos or Leon. My partner needs a prescription for his meds. Ideally it should also be a cheap doctor.

Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey, I am looking for any recommendations for English speaking doctors in Burgos or Leon. My partner needs a prescription for his meds. Ideally it should also be a cheap doctor.

Thanks

Good luck with your search.

I see that last year you had a similar question. The answers that were given then are still valid. All will depend on your insurance status and country of origin ( EHIC or not ).

Thanks
I would just go to the local health centre (centro de salud)
many of the doctors speak English or are very good with google translate!
Depending where you are from there may be no fee or at worst a small one.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I went to a doctor in Burgos at the health clinic. The doctor didnt speak english but google translate helped. Paid 98 euros on a credit card.

Thanks
Ah. You’re looking for a doctor that’ll write a prescription for prescription level drugs yet who has no access to the medical history of the patient and is prepared to prescribe without conducting all the standard enquiries and tests. Those sort of doctors don’t come cheap.

You may find a pharmacist prepared to fulfill a certified prescription from your partner’s own medical practitioner but that’s probably going to require certified translations of both the prescription and any supporting letter.

If you’re partner is dependent on getting a supply then I suggest an urgent conversation with your travel and health insurers to seek their assistance. Wandering the centro salud and pharmacies looking for a bargain is not going to resolve the issue

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Talk to your healthcare provider back home. There's another link on this forum re filling international prescriptions, but rules and regulations most likely have changed. The main takeaway from that thread is: know what you need to do re filling medical prescriptions before leaving home.

And....a "cheap doctor" rec? Again, hopefully your healthcare insurance back home can assist you on how to navigate cost reimbursements.

good luck with your search

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but the best way to get a prescription abroad is to take enough medication that you don't need to get one. If you are walking for 7 weeks, then you need 7 weeks supply of any and all medications you need.

The other thing to take is a photocopy of a prescription showing all your medications and take all the boxes they came in and fold them flat, then bury them in the back of your rucksack somewhere. It's much easier to show a pharmacist that copy and the box the medication came in, than try to google translate your way out of it.

So some places will have a red cross centre / caretas. Sometimes medical help can be found at them. This year I happened to be in Lourdes for a couple of days at the end of my Camino and developed a bad abscess. I got help at the red cross centre there using google translate and my schoolboy French. Another year i had to hit a hospital to get what I needed.

Good Luck.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thanks
Marianne forgot one of here meds last year. We contacted our doctor and she mailed us a prescription. Printed it and wend to the farmacia , paid €1,40 and she had here meds.🙏

Thanks
You should definitely just try to walk into a pharmacy first. If you have a copy or an image from your prescription or the old bottle and you can show it to the pharmacist, they might just do it. Someone at a pharmacy will usually speak English. Maybe find out the Spanish phrase for "refill a prescription" and write it down.

If they can't do it, they can probably recommend a clinic nearby to see a doctor.

In my experience hospitals are more expensive than if you could just talk to someone in a private doctor's office.

Of course, if you don't have any prescription documentation, it'll be much more difficult and expensive. Good luck and let us know what happens to help the next person.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ah. You’re looking for a doctor that’ll write a prescription for prescription level drugs yet who has no access to the medical history of the patient and is prepared to prescribe without conducting all the standard enquiries and tests. Those sort of doctors don’t come cheap.

You may find a pharmacist prepared to fulfill a certified prescription from your partner’s own medical practitioner but that’s probably going to require certified translations of both the prescription and any supporting letter.

If you’re partner is dependent on getting a supply then I suggest an urgent conversation with your travel and health insurers to seek their assistance. Wandering the centro salud and pharmacies looking for a bargain is not going to resolve the issue
He has the scipt from Australia and he had every imaginable test done as his condition is rare. But he said he tried to get it filled at a pharmacy and they refused him. When I can talk to him again I will tell him to try again. We have been traveling for over a year now and I am back home and he wanted to walk. So I am not there to help him out. In other countries they filled it without any questions as it is very specific meds. Will see what he can do.

Hey, he has the prescription and he did try but it didn’t work.
As you said, I would try another pharmacy, but if it doesn't work this is a hospital in Leon with international services and english speakers. At least one other person on this forum used it successfully:

From what I understand walking into a hospital as a non-EU resident typically costs between 100 - €250.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
He has the scipt from Australia and he had every imaginable test done as his condition is rare. But he said he tried to get it filled at a pharmacy and they refused him. When I can talk to him again I will tell him to try again. We have been traveling for over a year now and I am back home and he wanted to walk. So I am not there to help him out. In other countries they filled it without any questions as it is very specific meds. Will see what he can do.
If he has a valid scrip, and some, any, supporting documents it may well just be a case of keep trying farmacias . The issues will be if it’s a drug licensed in Spain/EU and whether they hold / can obtain stock.
If he has successfully obtained the prescription in other EU countries that issue is reduced but the common usage and stock availability remains. If he finds he’s refused by half-a-dozen farmacias he has a problem this forum can’t resolve. My experience in Spain is that pharmacists will dispense a valid prescription.

My previous comment was to emphasize that no medical professional is going to write a prescription without being confident that the prescription is appropriate to the patient. Their career depends on that and their professional standards require it.

Lady Isabella Frankau took a different view: look what that did for Marianne Faithful, Chet Baker and many others

Edited because AI supported spellcheck is still lacking in common sense

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...
I was walking the Via the la Plata. After about 10 days I developed first signs of a blister. I put a plaster on it. When arriving in Valdesalor I saw that the blister was "open" I am a diabetic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.