• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon private clinic or hospital for knee injury?

loum

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances to Burgos (2019), Podiensis (Moissac) 2023
Hi,
my sister and I are walking the camino for the second time, after having to quit after 2 weeks in 2019, because she developed stress fractures in her foot.

We have now walked a week & she has developed bad knee pain, to the extent she almost can’t walk. We have got ourselves to Leon & plan to go to a hospital or medical centre tomorrow, and I wondered if anyone had suggestions about best place to go?

Specifically I was hoping for somewhere that would be able to do an MRI as well as X-ray. My sister received wonderful care in the public hospital system in Burgos, but very long waiting times over multiple visits, & as we eventually found out, they would not do MRI (at least this was case in 2019 & for outpatients coming via emergency). Since MRI is only way to diagnose stress fractures, we would prefer somewhere where that would be possible, as she has travel insurance.

Thanks in advance for your help! It is very saddening to run into problems a second time, but fallible older bodies (60s) won’t always cooperate!

Louise

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,
my sister and I are walking the camino for the second time, after having to quit after 2 weeks in 2019, because she developed stress fractures in her foot.

We have now walked a week & she has developed bad knee pain, to the extent she almost can’t walk. We have got ourselves to Leon & plan to go to a hospital or medical centre tomorrow, and I wondered if anyone had suggestions about best place to go?

Specifically I was hoping for somewhere that would be able to do an MRI as well as X-ray. My sister received wonderful care in the public hospital system in Burgos, but very long waiting times over multiple visits, & as we eventually found out, they would not do MRI (at least this was case in 2019 & for outpatients coming via emergency). Since MRI is only way to diagnose stress fractures, we would prefer somewhere where that would be possible, as she has travel insurance.

Thanks in advance for your help! It is very saddening to run into problems a second time, but fallible older bodies (60s) won’t always cooperate!

Louise
Can your sister contact her insurance company and ask them to make a referral or recommendation?

If she has travel insurance I would suggest a private hospital or clinic because they will give you a bill at time of service that she can submit to insurance instead of waiting weeks or months for it to arrive from a public hospital or clinic. She will however, need to pay that bill at time service is rendered.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, thanks for quick replies. Yes we’ve checked with Australian insurer & it’s fine but they have no specific recommendations or partners in Leon. Private hospital would be fine. Any recommendations welcome! Thanks

I would suggest one if the two HM hospitais in León. They have services with interpreters for international patients.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ok thanks that’s good to have confirmed. We are in hotel boccalino by cathedral & hospital Hm Regla is closest, so I have been thinking there wd be good. Thanks!

Ok thanks that’s good to have confirmed. We are in hotel boccalino by cathedral & hospital Hm Regla is closest, so I have been thinking there wd be good. Thanks!
We live in Astorga and use HM Regla and have been happy with the service there. Prayers for a good experience and Buen Camino

Hi,

Louise
I'm a bit confused. I'm assuming your Camino is over and you are on your way home. Wouldn't it be better to have the clinic stabilize your injury and have the extensive care done at home? Insurance would then not be a problem as well as follow up care.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.