• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Donating in donativos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes this forum is all about opinions and subjective experiences, but what I see in your many comments is a clear bias, and a paternalistic one at that. It's not a question of "lack of openness", it's just that you're receiving good and valid pushback on your myopic lens of who gets to do certain things.

A surprising amount of what seems like anger by some, and I'm not sure why. It really doesn't matter to me if anyone agrees with my comments or not. I'm not looking to create converts to my way of thinking. I'm merely sharing my viewpoint. If you don't like or agree with something I've posted then feel free to ignore it or state your own opinion. But why that would lead to such seeming anger and name-calling by a couple people is truly baffling. Why would you make it personal?

Some quotes from this thread:

"If you not familiar, dont comment"
"I think you should hold the looking glass to your own face some time."
"racist and xenophobic."
"I am not open to tolerating bullying and xenophobic remarks"
"I don't think you deserve that kindness to continue."
"paternalistic"
"myopic"

Disproportionate much?

I have enjoyed the comments from everyone else on this thread. Donativas are a new experience for me and most others, so it's good to have a discussion about a topic that not many are experts on.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A surprising amount of what seems like anger by some, and I'm not sure why. It really doesn't matter to me if anyone agrees with my comments or not. I'm not looking to create converts to my way of thinking. I'm merely sharing my viewpoint. If you don't like or agree with something I've posted then feel free to ignore it or state your own opinion. But why that would lead to such seeming anger and name-calling by a couple people is truly baffling. Why would you make it personal?

Some quotes from this thread:

"If you not familiar, dont comment"
"I think you should hold the looking glass to your own face some time."
"racist and xenophobic."
"I am not open to tolerating bullying and xenophobic remarks"
"I don't think you deserve that kindness to continue."
"paternalistic"
"myopic"

Disproportionate much?

I have enjoyed the comments from everyone else on this thread. Donativas are a new experience for me and most others, so it's good to have a discussion about a topic that not many are experts on.

But your viewpoint had fallacies that many people pointed out. You have your opinions, and we're free to pushback and react. Using certain terminology to describe your words isn't name calling.

And being direct and forthright isn't anger.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Putting aside some of the more exaggerated criticisms, has the thread altered your viewpoint at all?
Easy to put aside some of the comments.

Some of the more meaningful comments did in fact alter some of my views. Or at least gave me something to think about. My knowledge of the donativo system is slim to none and I have much to learn.

A true sense of adventure, it appears, is for the young. Some of the opinion here seems to be of the “you don’t wanna do that” variety from “wise” grey heads. He may not have walked as a pilgrim to Santiago but thankfully Laurie Lee was intrepid enough to walk in Spain with no more than an hazel stick and a violin. What we would have been denied had he waited for the “right time” to go.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A true sense of adventure, it appears, is for the young. Some of the opinion here seems to be of the “you don’t wanna do that” variety from “wise” grey heads. He may not have walked as a pilgrim to Santiago but thankfully Laurie Lee was intrepid enough to walk in Spain with no more than an hazel stick and a violin. What we would have been denied had he waited for the “right time” to go.
Reading about his adventures, just as the Spanish civil war commenced, was truly impressive. He relied on the grace and generosity of strangers, yet I never detected any sense of entitlement from him.

Not really seeing that view, except for one ;)
I thought the posts were generally very supportive.
Pity the thread went down the gurgler a bit with all the finger pointing.....:rolleyes:
"You said this.....no I didn't"

Not really seeing that view, except for one ;)
I thought the posts were generally very supportive.
Pity the thread went down the gurgler a bit with all the finger pointing.....:rolleyes:
"You said this.....no I didn't"
They were indeed in the main supportive with obvious exceptions. I didn’t want to specifically call out anyone so much as observe that a youthful sense of adventure is a part of the wonder of the Camino no matter what age we set out on our walk. Thankfully the donativos are there as part of that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
They were indeed in the main supportive with obvious exceptions. I didn’t want to specifically call out anyone so much as observe that a youthful sense of adventure is a part of the wonder of the Camino no matter what age we set out on our walk. Thankfully the donativos are there as part of that.

Agree 100%.
I feel 20 years younger on Camino with a wonderful sense of freedom.

I had my first experience of Donativos this year and have to say it was great.
Notable ones being.

Rabanal.

Alcuescar

Fuenterroble

I will shamelessly hijack this thread for a moment.
This video was recently posted on another thread.

On the topic of Donativo Albergues, and the Pilgrim Community in general, it really resonated......
On Camino, and here, we often offer each other 'Refuge'.....
And we sometimes learn to ask for it.

I'm off to listen to more of David Whyte's Poetry :)

Last edited:
At a donativo explanations should not be necessary.
Yes I know that but OP stated she felt she was being pressured to give more. It was my advice to explain her situation. That is a suitable response that does not require your critique. Read the original post and all the comments before replying.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The thread had some very good discussion of the role of donativo albergues. Unfortunately it has been sidetracked into judging whether someone else's budget is sufficient and responsible, and who can or should judge that. The argument has become personal. Some posts have been deleted.

I was hoping that some common ground would become apparent, as often happens even with threads that seem to be heading downhill. However, we don't seem to be getting anywhere, so I'll lock this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.