• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dragon on Halfway Compestella

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, just picked up my halfway Compestella in Sahagun. Can anyone enlighten me the reason for the dragon on the certificate?
I’ve always assumed the conversation went something like this (but in Spanish)

Sahagun tourism team: we’ve got this great idea for a souvenir - but we want it to look like an ancient tradition

Hermanos Perez (marketing consultants): just stick a big dragon on top. That’ll be €10,000, gracias.

I’ve always assumed the conversation went something like this (but in Spanish)

Sahagun tourism team: we’ve got this great idea for a souvenir - but we want it to look like an ancient tradition

Hermanos Perez (marketing consultants): just stick a big dragon on top. That’ll be €10,000, gracias.
Copywrite @Rick of Rick and Peg it translates into something like this:

Let all know seeing this Pilgrim Certificate that [name] has passed through the Leonese lands of Sahagun, geographical center of the Camino Frances, where, as reported in the Codex Calixtinus, "... prodigous in all types of goods, one encounters the meadow, of which they say that in days gone by, the shining lances that the victorious warriors had thurst into the ground for the glory of the Lord came to life again." and it further attests that he has found rest for the fatigues of the body and relief for the spirit.

The inhabitants of this noble town give him encouragement to continue his camino and to arrive with safe passage at the house of the Lord Saint James, where we hope he retains a memory of the reception we have given him.

And for a record that can be presented before whoever demands it I sign this in Sahagun, on the [day] of [month] of the year of our Lord [year]

The Mayor.
[name]
Jacobean Pilgrims' Association Region of Sahagun
- Leon -
Pilgrim Certificate [number]

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have lived within a few miles of Sahagun for many years, and have never seen a dragon, nor have I heard tell of there ever being one in the neighborhood.
So, none of Reina Lupa’s dragons hightailed it to Moratino? No dragon sculptures like the Dinasours on the Inglés? I love dragons!

Hi, just picked up my halfway Compestella in Sahagun. Can anyone enlighten me the reason for the dragon on the certificate?
Hi @Graham Skinner, it is just a decorative element, like those that you can find on the borders of the pages of medieval manuscripts. See example below where the fantasy creature on the bottom margin on the left is very similar to the one on your halfway certificate.

(Click to enlarge)
Gautier de Coincy.jpg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers
If you’re walking the Camino Portugues right now I’d recommend you avoid the complementario route into Pontevedra. While it is quiet and green and follows the river, it’s also a muddy mess. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.