• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dreaming seriously now. Pls help.

Icacos

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
Hi all. Hoping you can help here. You see, May 2018 just may find me on the other side of the pond and I'm trying to see what I can do re getting back to the Camino while I'm over there.

When I walked the Francés in 2013 - starting in SJPP - I made it to Villalcazar de Sirga but could walk no further due to tendinitis. From there I had to taxi to Carrion de los Condes, then I bused to León. Long story short, I eventually made it from León to Santiago on foot, but I've always regretted missing so much of the meseta, and I'd like to get back to see what I missed by not walking. (I know there are those who will say that I didn't miss anything, but I'm not sure I will agree with you. :)) Are there alternative routes which would give me the same meseta experience? I'm not sure why I'm even asking this because part of me says just go back and walk from Villalcazar to León. Should I expect a bed race in May on that stretch of the Francés?

And will people frown upon me for taking up a bed if I were not planning to walk all the way to Santiago? I will likely seek out private accommodation.

I'd also like to try walking the Route Napoleon. I have no regrets having gone the Valcarlos route; the valley was beautiful and we had a blinding blizzard between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles just to add some excitement, but I'd love to be on the Napoleon in good weather.

Thank you for all suggestions.:)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Over the years, we have missed parts of caminos like that, and going back to "fill in the gaps" has always been a good experience. Right now, we're talking about walking from Conimbriga (where we ended up last year) to Porto (where we started walking in 2008(I think)).

If I were you, I'd simply go to Villalcazar and start walking. There is NOTHING that says that you have to end up in Santiago every time you walk, and a lot of people walk a wek or two at the time, wherever they ended up the last time.

Signed,

A great fan of the Meseta

I can totally understand where you coming from. I walked the CF a second time because the first time I’d caught a bus over two stages and a taxi for a few kms. I did it not because I had to but because I wanted to do it. Loved it all, especially the bits I’d missed the first time.
And count me as one of those who think it is well worth walking the meseta. I loved the wide open spaces and big skies.
Personally I don’t see any problem with you having a bed, private or albergue. You will have a pilgrim passport and you are a walking pilgrim so you will have earned your bed. Whether you get to Santiago or not this time around is of no consequence.
How exciting. Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the CF with a friend. We sometimes only managed a few days other times longer. No problem with not walking the complete length in one go. It took us from 2012 to 2016 to reach SDC and then Finisterra.

My experience is that every route, and every part of a route - long, short, uphill, flat, hot, sunny, forest, pampa, has something to give and enjoy. And the routes will always be there for you, to take when and how you want to. The Camino will guide you and inspire, bless and motivate no matter what. Go with your instinct and heart, don't worry about beds and miles. Good luck and Buen Camino. Love, Light and Nature, Keith

Done the napoleon route twice only because the weather the first time was so incredible early sept could see forever ! I went back a year later and did again highly reccomended if you are sensible .good luck
Buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A big thank you to all for your responses. It's something to work towards now, besides continuing my lecciones de Español.

Another thing I missed while on Camino was walking under the full moon. There was a full moon the night I spent in Villar de Mazarife, but the weather was dreadful so even going outside in the middle of the night would have been useless. I now see that there's to be a full moon on May 29th next year. If I plan my affairs properly (the weather will cooperate of course) I could have my saunter in the moonlight while I'm on the meseta. What a treat that would be!! @steve 217 says above "if you are sensible" .... Yes, I am!!! .... so it is important to plan these things right. ;)

Totally understand your point – first time walking I had to skip a bigger section of the meseta because of health reasons, always wanted to go back to do that. Was great to repeat the Francés this year walking every single step of it, but if that wouldn't have been possible, doing just the parts I had missed would have been good, too.

Many do skip the meseta, so you should be fine regarding accomodation, as long as you arrive at the albergues before about 3pm. If you tell someone you're walking the parts you couldn't do before, my guess is that people will react very positive to that. Anyways, don't feel like you're taking someone else's bed. You're a pilgrim, just like the others.

There are some very nice albergues on that part also. Bercianos del Camino parroquial albergue is in good memory. Strict rules, communal dinner, perfect sunset... ah, memories!

About walking during full moon... go for it. Walked a 40km day to Santiago on a full moon this year, starting early morning at five... incredible. Will never look at a full moon again without remembering that day. In the flat, treeless meseta you could even walk all night!

Go and do what you missed the last time. You won't regret it :)

A big thank you to all for your responses. It's something to work towards now, besides continuing my lecciones de Español.

Another thing I missed while on Camino was walking under the full moon. There was a full moon the night I spent in Villar de Mazarife, but the weather was dreadful so even going outside in the middle of the night would have been useless. I now see that there's to be a full moon on May 29th next year. If I plan my affairs properly (the weather will cooperate of course) I could have my saunter in the moonlight while I'm on the meseta. What a treat that would be!! @steve 217 says above "if you are sensible" .... Yes, I am!!! .... so it is important to plan these things right. ;)

Walking the camino under a full moon was definitely a highlight of my walk. I found leaving early, around 5am was incredibly peaceful. You had the stars and moon to keep you company.

Attachments

• camino-moon.png
    camino-moon.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Icacos I also recommend going back and "filling in the gaps", but if you want a different experience and still the meseta I thoroughly recommend the Camino de Madrid. Walking through the Tierra del Campos along the old drove roads, great albergues, wonderful castles in the most unexpected places. And there is something very satisfying about flying into Madrid and walking directly from there.

Icacos,
The ultimate physical destination for one walking the Camino de Santiago is Santiago. However, there is no law or rule that states you can only walk along a Camino route if you will only walk into Santiago.
Remember, 'the journey is more important than the destination.' (Lynn H Hough)
Go and enjoy!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have just returned home to Australia after completing the Frances... and these responses and their support and encouragement remind what I loved so much about it!
Icacos... if the Camino is calling you - you must listen and go where you feel is right. Follow the arrows and empty your mind of the "rules". Stay in the albergues and immerse yourself in the experience... let the Way work its magic on you ❤
Buen Camino x

@Icacos, It is your circumstance and your pilgrimage. It is heartening that you consider others and their experiences. It demonstrates your kindness and thoughtfulness. Not to worry though. Each experienece is also individual and as has been stated, there really are no rules on this.

Your spirit is guiding you and I doubt there is anything worthy of concern.

Enjoy the Route Napolean, should this become part of your Itenerary. It is wonderful up there, so much closer to Heaven that at times, I felt I was being granted a brief visit.

Enjoy the Route Napolean, should this become part of your Itenerary. It is wonderful up there, so much closer to Heaven that at times, I felt I was being granted a brief visit.
"It is wonderful up there, so much closer to Heaven that at times, I felt I was being granted a brief visit."

What a lovely way to phrase this. Thank you, Michelle. An aunt of mine told me that when she goes walking in nature she feels 'closer to God.' Aren't we fortunate to be granted these opportunities. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all. Hoping you can help here. You see, May 2018 just may find me on the other side of the pond and I'm trying to see what I can do re getting back to the Camino while I'm over there.

When I walked the Francés in 2013 - starting in SJPP - I made it to Villalcazar de Sirga but could walk no further due to tendinitis. From there I had to taxi to Carrion de los Condes, then I bused to León. Long story short, I eventually made it from León to Santiago on foot, but I've always regretted missing so much of the meseta, and I'd like to get back to see what I missed by not walking. (I know there are those who will say that I didn't miss anything, but I'm not sure I will agree with you. :)) Are there alternative routes which would give me the same meseta experience? I'm not sure why I'm even asking this because part of me says just go back and walk from Villalcazar to León. Should I expect a bed race in May on that stretch of the Francés?

And will people frown upon me for taking up a bed if I were not planning to walk all the way to Santiago? I will likely seek out private accommodation.

I'd also like to try walking the Route Napoleon. I have no regrets having gone the Valcarlos route; the valley was beautiful and we had a blinding blizzard between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles just to add some excitement, but I'd love to be on the Napoleon in good weather.

Thank you for all suggestions.:)

Walking one day or 100 you walking Camino. ignore begrugers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you again, fellow members, for all your earlier suggestions. My hoped for May 2018 camino - when I wanted to go back and walk the stretches of the Francés that I had to miss in 2013 - did not materialize, and I am now keeping my fingers crossed that I can start walking again mid-September 2019. My long held dream of going back to walk the Route Napoleón has to be shelved, unfortunately, as even I cannot justify the logistics in time and money of getting to SJPP to walk that little patch of the Pyrenees when there are so many other more easily accessible routes to choose from. I have open before me Ivar's map, Caminos de Santiago en la Península Ibérica and am seriously considering @Kanga's earlier suggestion of the Camino Madrid. I think that will give me a part of the meseta that I am looking for, plus lots more.

I am not very tech savvy, however, I have checked gronze.com and wisepilgrim, plus this forum, and am not having much success on getting info on the Camino Madrid. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful. 😊

Thank you again, fellow members, for all your earlier suggestions. My hoped for May 2018 camino - when I wanted to go back and walk the stretches of the Francés that I had to miss in 2013 - did not materialize, and I am now keeping my fingers crossed that I can start walking again mid-September 2019. My long held dream of going back to walk the Route Napoleón has to be shelved, unfortunately, as even I cannot justify the logistics in time and money of getting to SJPP to walk that little patch of the Pyrenees when there are so many other more easily accessible routes to choose from. I have open before me Ivar's map, Caminos de Santiago en la Península Ibérica and am seriously considering @Kanga's earlier suggestion of the Camino Madrid. I think that will give me a part of the meseta that I am looking for, plus lots more.

I am not very tech savvy, however, I have checked gronze.com and wisepilgrim, plus this forum, and am not having much success on getting info on the Camino Madrid. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful. 😊
I would start by asking your question on the Camino Madrid forum. :)
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-de-madrid.45/

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back