• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dreaming with doing it again!

ivaleria

Time of past OR future Camino
St. Jean to Santiago: May 7 - June 8, 2013
I walked from SJP to Santiago 10 years ago (started May 7, arrived in Santiago on June 8). Back then finding a bedroom in the municipal and parrish shelter was difficult only in the big cites and in the last Galizian towns. I'm reading in these threads that the Camino Frances has become a mess because of the huge crowds, and since I still do want to try my chance again, I wonder which months are the best... September, October, perhaps? Would it be slightly less traveled but still bad? Should I try a different option (other camino)?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wonder which months are the best... September, October, perhaps? Would it be slightly less traveled but still bad?
I walked the Camino Frances from SJPDP in January this year. On most of the stages there were a maximum of about 15 or 20 people walking. There was only one albergue where it was close to full - a private albergue in Zubiri. Longer stages than a summer Camino but ideal for me. Very like stepping back 20 or 30 years in some ways.

Hi, we walked Camino Frances in 2014. We started August 30th out of SJPDP, and ended October 2 in Santiago. We decided to do it at this time because it was ending Spain summer when many people take vacation, and walk on Camino wether entirely or partly. Also spring is very popular, busy and rainy. We made reservations ahead of time in popular places like SJPDP, Leon, Burgos, etc. The first week on Camino made us learn, after running down the hill from “Altos del Perdón” with a ton of young pilgrims towards the nearest town hostel, and finding everything was full. We had to walk to the next town 3 or 4km away to find a bed. We realized them that on a daily basis we would look at the pilgrim book, and where we were located, find a place, call ahead and reserve a bed. This worked extremely well throughout our journey. I understand that many pilgrims walk on a budget, and can only stay on municipal hostels, but we decided that our rest sometimes was entitled to a nice private room. I can tell you in comparison to the USA the most expensive place we stayed in our entire Camino was 70€ and was a nice hotel in Burgos. Many private hostels, and pensiones we’re not over 25€ including dinner. Also at the time we walked we experienced rain approximately 4 times. If and when we do Camino again I will do it at the same time, with the same strategy, but with extra days of walk time. We would love to keep our walk to 10 km a day, because enjoying Camino, the scenery and sharing time with others was the best part of our Camino. I found that running every where, and being late or to early misses on the very social part of that culture, and on the “One Love, One Heart, One People” motto I follow! This is my Opinion of course, like I say everyone has a different purpose for their pilgrimage, and different means. Hope this helps and you do Camino again! BUEN CAMINO

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I still do want to try my chance again, I wonder which months are the best... September, October, perhaps? Would it be slightly less traveled but still bad? Should I try a different option (other camino)?
Not September, at least not the first two weeks. These are the busiest two weeks for starting from SJPdP. See this thread. You would be better off in mud August than September.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked from SJP to Santiago 10 years ago (started May 7, arrived in Santiago on June 8). Back then finding a bedroom in the municipal and parrish shelter was difficult only in the big cites and in the last Galizian towns. I'm reading in these threads that the Camino Frances has become a mess because of the huge crowds, and since I still do want to try my chance again, I wonder which months are the best... September, October, perhaps? Would it be slightly less traveled but still bad? Should I try a different option (other camino)?
I walked last year in March and it wasn’t crowded, 5-15 people per day and some days fewer people. From Sarria to Santiago there were a lot of people! Buen Camino🥾

I walked last year in March and it wasn’t crowded, 5-15 people per day and some days fewer people. From Sarria to Santiago there were a lot of people! Buen Camino🥾
It is true also late in the year, November/December. You see about the same number of pilgrims during the day. More in the evenings as there are many albergues that are closed. But once you hit Sarria....... No different! It seems like hoards of people!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But once you hit Sarria....... No different! It seems like hoards of people!
I walked in January this year. I was very surprised to find that it became quieter after Sarria. Probably because there were more possible places to stay. I slept in Xunta albergues in Barbadelo, Gonzar, Melide and Santa Irene. In two I was completely alone and in the other two I had one companion. And I saw very few pilgrims during the day either Before Sarria I often shared the albergue with a dozen or more pilgrims.

Are you by any chance a native Spanish speaker? I struggle to remember that it’s ‘soñar con …’ for ‘dreaming of …’ and it must be equally difficult the other way round.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back