• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with a First-Timer - Alternatives

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles fr. Ferrol 8/2024
I was all set to do the Ingles solo in early June when, in the midst of discussing this with a good friend, she said that she'd like to walk the Camino as well. I'd love to walk with her (she's the type who will keep me laughing all day), so plans are changing. A few initial points:

(a) We have a week to walk but don't need to walk all seven days; happy to spend a day in one place sightseeing along the way or skipping segments
(b) I've done Sarria-SdC and Porrino-SdC and don't feel the need to repeat either of these, yet.
(c) My friend doesn't care about getting a Compostela but does like having a destination, and I think the feeling of walking into SdC at least once is something essential to the Camino
(d) I'm in OK shape, but decades of smoking (I've quit since) result in struggles on steep ascents
(e) I like the community/social aspects of walking more than any lengthy solitary stretches, and I believe my friend would feel the same.
(f) Time to walk will now be some time in August
(g) I'd love there to be at least one albergue with a communal meal along the way.

My two thoughts (but I'm open to any others) would be either of the following:

(a) Do the Ingles as planned (but in August)
(b) Walk Logrono to Burgos, spend a day getting to Outiero or Siguiero (looks like there's a train to SdC and then we can taxi out) and walk the last day into SdC (and if this, which final day would be better?)
(c) Something different?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Or, if she'd like to walk into Santiago, perhaps the Portuguese (Tui?/Vigo?) or from... is it Ourense? Or from Lugo (which would repeat for you after Melide, but believe me, it won't look the same...it didn't for me. 😉 )

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My friend doesn't care about getting a Compostela but does like having a destination, and I think the feeling of walking into SdC at least once is something essential to the Camino
I agree with you about walking into Santiago. It's hard to know before you start on the Camino how you will feel about arriving in Santiago, but since it is the "goal" of the Camino, I think that your friend would probably enjoy it. I would either stick with your original plan of the Inglés, since it would be a "complete" Camino for both you and your friend.

Stick with the Ingles. It’s a great, little, Camino. I can’t recall anywhere offering a communal meal but there’s nothing stopping you cooking one 😉

There’s a few hills but nothing this ex-smoker hasn’t handled in style. If I’ve occasionally stopped to admire the view that was because the view was worth admiring.

You and your friend will get to walk a “whole” Camino and to roll into the Obradoiro to the skirl of the pipes. Job done

I'm 100% with you and @trecile on this one. That first time walking into Santiago, especially having completed a full Camino (regardless of length) is, as you know, an incredible experience. What a gift for your friend.
Although it does mean you may have to forgo your 'one albergue with a communal meal along the way'.

Stick with your original plan and walk the Inglés. It's often mentioned as an ideal first camino. It certainly was for me!
It really only has one steep ascent, and even that is relatively short. Although there are another couple of places where it meanders up and down quite a bit.
It's a beautiful walk, with excellent infrastructure, and still likely to be fairly social in August.
Spend the first day exploring Ferrol. Still leaves you with a couple of days to explore Santiago at the end. Or to take a bus trip - Finisterre, for example.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For those of us that have had the privilege of walking into Santiago multiple times, subsequent visits may not hold the same level of wonder and excitement as it did the first time, but it never really gets old. But perhaps we take it for granted sometimes.
I love to people watch while in the vicinity of the main cathedral square and the look on people's faces when they first get there first good look at the cathedral is really something. The full range of human emotions. No poker faces!
If there is a possibility your friend may be of the 'one and done' Camino walkers, then I have to say ending in Santiago should be your goal.
All the other suggestions have their merits, but I believe a first walk with an ending in Santiago would my choice with a new pilgrim.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was all set to do the Ingles solo in early June when, in the midst of discussing this with a good friend, she said that she'd like to walk the Camino as well. I'd love to walk with her (she's the type who will keep me laughing all day), so plans are changing. A few initial points:

(a) We have a week to walk but don't need to walk all seven days; happy to spend a day in one place sightseeing along the way or skipping segments
(b) I've done Sarria-SdC and Porrino-SdC and don't feel the need to repeat either of these, yet.
(c) My friend doesn't care about getting a Compostela but does like having a destination, and I think the feeling of walking into SdC at least once is something essential to the Camino
(d) I'm in OK shape, but decades of smoking (I've quit since) result in struggles on steep ascents
(e) I like the community/social aspects of walking more than any lengthy solitary stretches, and I believe my friend would feel the same.
(f) Time to walk will now be some time in August
(g) I'd love there to be at least one albergue with a communal meal along the way.

My two thoughts (but I'm open to any others) would be either of the following:

(a) Do the Ingles as planned (but in August)
(b) Walk Logrono to Burgos, spend a day getting to Outiero or Siguiero (looks like there's a train to SdC and then we can taxi out) and walk the last day into SdC (and if this, which final day would be better?)
(c) Something different?
Have a serious talk with your friend far in advanced. Make clear all options.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.