A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Earliest you can see the meseta in bloom?

Ungawawa

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Francés, Le Puy / Francés (parts), 2018 Norte (Biarritz), Francés, 2019 Portuguese (Lisbon)
So I have just a quick question: What's the earliest in the year that you can see the meseta green?

I've been there late May and it was stunning with all the wheat and poppies. How much earlier can you get in the year before it's all just tiny sprouts in the ground?

Thanks!

sugargypsy

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2019
In progress: CP 2020 and/or CI
So I have just a quick question: What's the earliest in the year that you can see the meseta green?
I guess that depends a lot on how long and cold the winter has been before. For instance this year we had a mild winter in Europe, almond blossoms are already flourishing at my place, last year they started blooming towards the end of March.

Ungawawa

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Francés, Le Puy / Francés (parts), 2018 Norte (Biarritz), Francés, 2019 Portuguese (Lisbon)
Thanks everyone. So it sounds like if I started around the beginning of April I shouldn't miss anything in terms of green and flowers!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 2020
What is the approximate time for the poppy fields to bloom? I'll fly back to Seattle on May 28th, but would LOVE to take pictures of the poppy fields

Ungawawa

Camino(s) past & future
What is the approximate time for the poppy fields to bloom? I'll fly back to Seattle on May 28th, but would LOVE to take pictures of the poppy fields
Yes, I'd love to know this too. Anyone know from experience?

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Thanks. Looks like I will definitely miss the red poppy fields.
Not necessarily. I looked back through some of my May Caminos and there are plenty of poppy fields to be seen. Here is one link. This is May 27, but there ARE some earlier May posts in other years that show wildflowers.

Here is one on the Aragones route from May 22 that shows poppy fields:

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 2020
Not necessarily. I looked back through some of my May Caminos and there are plenty of poppy fields to be seen. Here is one link. This is May 27, but there ARE some earlier May posts in other years that show wildflowers.

Here is one on the Aragones route from May 22 that shows poppy fields:

Thanks for the lovely pictures. I would love to see them, but will be very content to be able to see the beauty of the wildflowers and green fields. Crossing my fingers nothing stops my April 10th from SJPP pilgrimage across Spain.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances SJPP-Fisterra (2014_18). Burgos-Astorga (2019). Sarria-Santiago (Jan 2020). CF 2020
This was on 3 June 2019 before Hontanas -lots of poppies and other wildflowers. Gorgeous!
AD0A6970-E020-4FFF-B219-503CFD9A367B.jpeg

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
It depends! Winter has been mild this year, and tiny carpets of daisy- and iris-like flowers are blooming very near the ground RIGHT NOW, along with jonquils and some purple vetch-like weeds. Fields are bright green with feed crops and winter cover. Different wild flowers take turns blooming in waves, much depending on rainfall, frost, and altitude. One year the poppies bloom in May, the next year in June, with blue cornflowers, rapeseed (canola) yellow, all the spectrum of the vineyards, huge fields of sunflowers usually wait until July to hit peak, but that varies, too! My years of living on the meseta say that late June is the sweet spot. But there's no guarantee. If you keep your eyes open, something is blooming March - October!

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 378 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock