• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meseta

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can't resist stopping in Hontanos, Castrojeriz, Boadilla at en el Camino to visit with Eduardo, Fromista for the fine dining, San Zoilo, Moratinos to visit Reb Scott and eat at the Bodega, in Sahagun at the Benedictine albergue and then take the old Roman route as a long detour to stay in Religious

Burgos
Hornillos del Camino
Castrojeriz
Fromista
Carrion de los Condes
Calzadilla de la Cueza
Sahagun
El Burgo Ranero
Mansilla de las Mulas
Leon

Burgos
Hornillos
Castrojeriz
Boadilla del Camino
Carrion de los Condes
Calzadilla
Sahagun
El Burgos Ranero
Mansilla de las Mulas
Leon

Personally, I did not enjoy the last half of the walk into Leon and will avoid it in the future

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I heard other people say that / do that too... but it is not that bad IMO.
I agree. It's all part of the Camino, and I remember having a delightful conversation with a young French Canadian pilgrim on this stretch that I would have missed if I had taken the bus.

I agree. It's all part of the Camino, and I remember having a delightful conversation with a young French Canadian pilgrim on this stretch that I would have missed if I had taken the bus.
Ok, what's weird. I ended up talking to an ex-military officer Canadian from Halifax for hours that same day last time. I frankly didn't even notice the walk much.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I heard other people say that / do that too... but it is not that bad IMO.
Yes, I’m sure it wasn’t that bad and it wasn’t my primary reason for taking the bus. I had really bad blisters at that point and when a Camino friend mentioned she was taking the bus, I was like sign me up! Here’s a pic of me waiting for the bus in Mansilla, this is my fave pic from the Camino because you can see how content I was with my decision not to walk 😝

Attachments

• IMG_4727.jpeg
    IMG_4727.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 178
Yes, I’m sure it wasn’t that bad and it wasn’t my primary reason for taking the bus. I had really bad blisters at that point and when a Camino friend mentioned she was taking the bus, I was like sign me up! Here’s a pic of me waiting for the bus in Mansilla, this is my fave pic from the Camino because you can see how content I was with my decision not to walk 😝
Been there. Done that. No judgement here.

actually took the bus from Mansilla to Leon as I heard the whole stretch is along the highway
I walked that last part arriving in Leon on a Sunday. But after the peace and solitude of the Meseta in late winter, I was not into the bustle and tourist thing and kept walking. Doubled back later for the Cathedral and a day in Leon.

2022 I did: Hornillosdel Camino, Castrojeriz, Fromista, Carrion de los Condes, Sahagun (Good Friday celebrations were fabulous) , Mansilla de las Mulas, Leon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In addition to the stops mentioned above, I have stayed in the little towns of Moratinos, San Nicolas Real del Camino, and Calzadilla de los Hermanillos. Some of my best memories are from these places.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hornillos del Camino > Castrojerez > Boadilla del Camino > Villalcaza de Sirga > Carrion de los Condes > Calzadilla de la Cueza > San Nicolas del Real Camino > Sahagún > El Burgo Ranero > Mansilla de las Mulas

Not much different from the previous posts except for the six kilometers between Villalcaza and Carrion; Peg was sick.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tomorrow ! ;)
Good Luck to you !!!! Love to be on the Meseta right now ....

The distances others have mentioned and places are fine, bear in mind sometimes you might have to walk further or less depending on availability of beds.

Hontanas .. great stop
Fromista
Carrion de los Condes
Reliegos
San Nicolas del real camino
Boadilla

all good places if albergues are open

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
June 2023

Burgos
Hornillos del Camino
Castrojeriz
Boadilla de Camino
Carrión de los Condes
Moratinos
Bercianos del Real Camino
Reliegos
León

Castrojeriz (and the route into the town) was one of my favourite places. The views from the castle are magnificent and well worth a stop.

June

Castrojeriz (and the route into the town) was one of my favourite places. The views from the castle are magnificent and well worth a stop.
The inn across from the San Martin church in Fromista and the Monastery San Zoilo outside Carrion were two of my favorites. I walked up to San Zoilo without a reservation and got the pilgrim rate. Absolutely wonderful place.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Burgos
Hontanas
Boadilla del Camino
Carrion de los Condes
Ledigos
Puente Villarente
Leon

Hornillos
Castrojeriz
Población de Campos
Cazadillada de la Cueza
Sahagun
Reliegos
Leon

Edited - forgot to add in Sahagun

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think I'm the first to mention these two:

San Bol and San Anton stand out for me as special places on the Meseta, where you can literally unplug! It is a short, easy day between the two, leaving you fresh for the early climb after Castrojerez..

Dear Pilgrims, what stages did you stop at between Burgos and Leon?
DateStart PointEnd PointPhase Distance (km)Actual Distance MilesActual Distance KMSteps per daySteps per KMSteps per MileLodging
30-May​
BurgosHontanas
31​
24.69​
39.7​
52,3791,3182,121Hotel Villa Fontanas
31-May​
HontanasCastrojeriz
8.9​
8.75​
14.1​
19,0281,3512,175Iacobus
1-Jun​
CastrojerizFromista
25.2​
18.96​
30.5​
40,2701,3202,124Hotel San Martin
2-Jun​
FromistaCarrion de los Condes
19​
17.64​
28.4​
37,9151,3362,149Hostal Comfort Suites
3-Jun​
Carrion de los CondesCalzadilla de la Cueza
17.2​
14.17​
22.8​
30,1891,3242,130Hostal Camino Real
4-Jun​
Calzadilla de la CuezaSahagun
22.1​
18.47​
29.7​
39,0861,3152,116Domus Viatoris
5-Jun​
SahagunEl Burgo Ranero
17.8​
15.29​
24.6​
32,5981,3252,132Domus Viatoris
6-Jun​
El Burgo RaneroMansilla de las Mulas
18​
14.76​
23.8​
31,1551,3122,111Hotel Rural Astura
7-Jun​
Mansilla de las MulasLeon
18.8​
15.65​
25.2​
33,8311,3432,162Le Petit Leon

There are so many options, as you can see.
Are there any specific things you are looking for?
Types of accommodations, things to see, places to eat, types of experiences .
Your comfortable walking distances may also have an influence.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Where did you stay past Leon?

Is there a small village and albergue about 4 km past Leon? I vividly remember stopping at such a place - was it after Leon? - having only walked 4 km - because I was having some sort of internal meltdown. There was a wonderful Reiki/ massage person who put me back together for the rest of my Camino. This was 2007.

Is there a small village and albergue about 4 km past Leon? I vividly remember stopping at such a place - was it after Leon? - having only walked 4 km - because I was having some sort of internal meltdown. There was a wonderful Reiki/ massage person who put me back together for the rest of my Camino. This was 2007.
Virgen del Camino?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
DateStart PointEnd PointPhase Distance (km)Actual Distance MilesActual Distance KMSteps per daySteps per KMSteps per MileLodging
30-May​
BurgosHontanas
31​
24.69​
39.7​
52,3791,3182,121Hotel Villa Fontanas
31-May​
HontanasCastrojeriz
8.9​
8.75​
14.1​
19,0281,3512,175Iacobus
1-Jun​
CastrojerizFromista
25.2​
18.96​
30.5​
40,2701,3202,124Hotel San Martin
2-Jun​
FromistaCarrion de los Condes
19​
17.64​
28.4​
37,9151,3362,149Hostal Comfort Suites
3-Jun​
Carrion de los CondesCalzadilla de la Cueza
17.2​
14.17​
22.8​
30,1891,3242,130Hostal Camino Real
4-Jun​
Calzadilla de la CuezaSahagun
22.1​
18.47​
29.7​
39,0861,3152,116Domus Viatoris
5-Jun​
SahagunEl Burgo Ranero
17.8​
15.29​
24.6​
32,5981,3252,132Domus Viatoris
6-Jun​
El Burgo RaneroMansilla de las Mulas
18​
14.76​
23.8​
31,1551,3122,111Hotel Rural Astura
7-Jun​
Mansilla de las MulasLeon
18.8​
15.65​
25.2​
33,8311,3432,162Le Petit Leon
I really like the detail! Steps per day? And math? Awesome. Now THAT is a spreadsheet!

Burgos
San Bol
Castroheriz
Fromista
Carrion
Ledigos
Sahagun
El Burgo Ranuro
Manilla
Leon

San Bol was interesting in 2009. No electricity, no running water, no toilet. But paella cooked on a camping stove for dinner and crepes for breakfast. We were the only 2 pilgrim's staying.

Left Burgos at midday( had to buy a new camera and a few other essentials), short day to Hornillos de Camino, next day to Itero de la Vega, next day to Carrion de los Condes, next day to Moratinos, next day El Burgo Ranero, next day got to Leon.
De Colores
Bogong

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here were my stops in October 2023, shortly before both San Anton and San Nicolas closed for the season:

Burgos
San Bol
San Anton
Ermita San Nicolas
Poblacion de Campo
Carrion de los Condes
Ledigos
Reliegos
Leon

The night in San Anton was the highlight of of my camino, second only to arriving in Santiago. San Bol is still interesting, though it now has electrity and hot water. The singing nuns of the Santa Maria Albergue in Carrion de los Condes were lovely and Bar Elvis in Reliegos is memorable stop, if you can catch it when he’s open. Lots of great options between Burgos and Leon.

Burgos
Rabe de las Calzadas
Hontanos
Boadilla de Camino
Carrion de las Condes
Calzadilla de la Cueza
Sahagun
El Burgo Ranero
Mansilla Major
Leon

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rabedelas Calzadas, Hontanas, Castrojeriz, Boadilla del Camino, Población de Campos, Carrión de los Condes, Cazadillada de la Cueza, Moritanos, Sahagún, El Burgo Ranero, Reliegos, Puente Villarente.
I looked up my journal and we matched up almost exactly except we went just beyond Moritanos to the next town. Let's hear it for slow pilgrims! We see more!

Here were my stops in October 2023, shortly before both San Anton and San Nicolas closed for the season:

Burgos
San Bol
San Anton
Ermita San Nicolas
Poblacion de Campo
Carrion de los Condes
Ledigos
Reliegos
Leon

The night in San Anton was the highlight of of my camino, second only to arriving in Santiago. San Bol is still interesting, though it now has electrity and hot water. The singing nuns of the Santa Maria Albergue in Carrion de los Condes were lovely and Bar Elvis in Reliegos is memorable stop, if you can catch it when he’s open. Lots of great options between Burgos and Leon.
Did not stop in San Anton, but agree about all your other highlights. No one has mentioned the church in Fromista. One of the oldest on the route and you can tour it for 1€.

I can't resist stopping in Hontanos, Castrojeriz, Boadilla at en el Camino to visit with Eduardo, Fromista for the fine dining, San Zoilo, Moratinos to visit Reb Scott and eat at the Bodega, in Sahagun at the Benedictine albergue and then take the old Roman route as a long detour to stay in Religious
Very curious about the 'fine dining' in Fromista, I clearly missed it.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The fine dining in Fromista is at Las Palmeros, a lovely Michelin-listed place on Plaza San Telmo. Great wine list, too!
As for coming to see me when you are in Moratinos: Some of the best people stop here when I am not home. It's always been that way. It is how I maintain my "Woman of Mystery" status.
And if you were actually in Moratinos and could not find my house, Jeez. It's not a big place! Just ask somebody next time!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After walking CF 3 times, I feel it doesn’t matter which towns to stay. Just choose any towns you like to stay this time, and stop another towns next time. So many places worth visiting. If one likes walking camino, one will come back again and again.

About the issue of taking a bus from Mansilla to León or not, the step may not be pleasant but acceptable. But I took a bus the next time, and walked from the bus station in León to San Marcos Plaza and Museum and took many wonderful pictures under beautiful sunshine in the morning. Also I had more time to visit the Cathedral. The decision is about what you want.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.