• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Effects of the Pope's Resignation Upon the Camino

waveprof

Enthusiast
Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2013, Camino Frances
My guess is no, but seems a worthy question. Does anyone think that the pope's retirement will have any effect on the camino short or long term? If so, what?

The only thing I can imagine is that if they choose a Spanish or Basque pope (unlikely in both cases) you could instantly see a HUGE surge this spring/summer on the Camino. But barring that, I don't see much effect.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can't imagine it will make too much difference really. The current Pope visited the Camino (in Santiago) in 2010 I think, and embraced it by wearing a pilgrim's robe. You can see it on YouTube.

If I remember correctly, that visit coincided with the Catholic Youth event - also in Spain - which he attended. I wonder if the new Pope might look at these pilgrimages/events that seem to bring about 'bottom-up' expressions of spirituality rather than 'top-down' ones with more or less enthusiasm.

We'll be lucky I'm sure. :D (Edit: The visit to the Camino was the year before the youth event, but he did attend both.)

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I live on the camino frances. I have not seen any effects, positive or negative.
A lot more attention is being paid to the ongoing government scandals, unemployment, and general economic awfulness. There are some very peeved people around (but nothing for pilgrims to fear.)

My understanding is that application forms in eighteen languages are being delivered to all the refugios along the Camino ..... unfortunately pens are not included so expect that many of the smaller village shops will have run out of them.

Only those doing pilgrimage for spiritual reasons may apply. Although the application forms are in many languages, to demonstrate that the position is open to all, well, all men ... well, all heterosexual men, well, all heterosexual celibate men, applicants must write in Latin.

Deadline for posting is April 1st. :wink:

Buen Camino

If it wasn't for the celebacy clause I'd be sorted! I need a new job. :D ...but you forgot that you must be ordained as a priest as well, I assume. I can speak 18 languages after sufficient quantities of alcohol, but I reckon I could get round that at the interview because the interviewers wouldn't know if I was speaking a real language or gibberish.

Only joking - God bless the current and future Pope. :D

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Brilliant!! :lol: I'm celibate, have been for about nine years now, but am a heretic Unitarian, almost a Cathar! So, no, I won't be applying.

Crikey! just in case - I too bless this man for being courageous enough to say that he no longer has the strength to carry on, and blessings and good wishes to the next Pape.

When Cardinal Ratzinger became pontiff I was on my first Camino - I was walking though a village and saw it happening on a huge tv screen I could see through the window of a cafe. I went in and stayed and watched it all.
I read one of his books - I found him funny, sensitive, humble and, annoyingly, vastly intelligent.

So, I am only doing humour - :lol:

Buen Camino! :wink:

waveprof said:
Does anyone think that the pope's retirement will have any effect on the camino short or long term?
I am at a loss as to why there could be an after effect :?
He unsuccessfully tried to clear up some longstanding vatican intrigues. They did not affect the pilgrim flow to Santiago (most of them had no clue anyway :cry: ). Hopefully a few catholic pilgrims will do the walk and pray for a new pope who will be able to put order in the flocks' stable. :roll:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
David said:
do flocks live in stables? :lol:
I don't know. Do they live in pens? Or barns? I suppose it depends what you have to hand. Buen Camino! :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you can read Spanish, El Pais today has a couple of real nose-bleed size articles on the effects the papacy and Vatican intrigues (and intriguers) has on Spain. The last two popes have been very cozy with two very powerful and wealthy conservative movements -- Opus Dei and Legionaries of Christ -- both with a strong hold on the high places of Spanish Catholicism. In short, the Higher Ups in Spain, accustomed to saving the Vatican from itself, are all in an uproar over who will be next pope, seeing as the announcement did not give them their accustomed Eon of lead-time to prepare Just the Right Man. The smart money seems to favor Italian Cardinal Angelo Scola, deemed "al gran papable" on the front page.
Still, out here in the pews it is business as usual. Our four rural parishes had no Mass today because the aging curate has sciatica. We drove into Sahagún, where a single priest offers Mass on Sundays at two convents and two parish churches (not simultaneously!). Big talk is the two new sisters at the Madres Benedictinas -- black women, from west Africa! One of them is sacristán! :D
No mention of the pope, except in the usual prayers of the people.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
tyrrek

There is no requirement to have entered the priesthood in order to become Pope, there was one instance of a monk who became Pope in the Middle Ages but I do believe that one must be a male Catholic.

I know in reality the deal broking involved means that nowadays the election of anyone other than a Cardinal to the papacy would require a miracle but then don't all devout believers believe that miracles are possible?

Seamus

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
supersullivan said:
tyrrek

There is no requirement to have entered the priesthood in order to become Pope...
I stand corrected Seamus. I will send in my application forthwith. I reckon I'd make a great Pope! :D :D

Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
If it wasn't for the celebacy clause I'd be sorted!

Tyrrek: As I have heard it, a monk was devoting his life to studies of secret ancient texts, sitting in his secluded chamber, reading for years.

One day, after several decades of reading, the other monks one day heard a loud, lasting outcry from his chamber. When they rushed in they found the monk in utter despair, dissolved in tears. They asked him what was going on, and he sobbed, while pointing his finger to an old manuscript:

"We have been fooled for centuries! The Bible contains a misspelling! In this secret text it says: "Go and spread out my word on The Earth in celebration": NOT celebation!"

Just go ahead and apply for the job, Tyrrek: The church had it wrong all the time! :wink:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I didn't even get a response after I sent in my CV. Admittedly I think I'd spilt a bit of coffee on it. :D Still, I'm rooting for Pope Francis and pray he'll do a good job. Buen Camino!

Rebekah-- B16, for his flaws, was firm and drastic on the Legionaries when no-one else was, sent Maciel into the freezer, and had an external commission investigate and run the Legionaries (who were told to make a public apology for their foul and nasty response to critics). My castilian was not good enough for me to follow the articles closely (generally, my Spanish allows me to say what an article is about, but not if they're for it or against it!) but I have acquaintances who were affected by this, and I have followed it closely.

I don't imagine that the election of Pope Francis will have much of an effect on the Camino, unless he chooses to follow S Francis of Assisi, who walked the Camino a few centuries ago. I recall following his trail out of Sanguesa and being thankful that I was wearing Vasques, and not sandals. I once had a coffee with a pilgrim who now is involved with bishop-selection in the RCC, and we speculated on how the hierarchy would be improved if they only chose clergy who had walked the Camino.

Rebekah Scott said:
If you can read Spanish, El Pais today has a couple of real nose-bleed size articles on the effects the papacy and Vatican intrigues (and intriguers) has on Spain. The last two popes have been very cozy with two very powerful and wealthy conservative movements -- Opus Dei and Legionaries of Christ -- both with a strong hold on the high places of Spanish Catholicism. In short, the Higher Ups in Spain, accustomed to saving the Vatican from itself, are all in an uproar over who will be next pope, seeing as the announcement did not give them their accustomed Eon of lead-time to prepare Just the Right Man. The smart money seems to favor Italian Cardinal Angelo Scola, deemed "al gran papable" on the front page.
Still, out here in the pews it is business as usual. Our four rural parishes had no Mass today because the aging curate has sciatica. We drove into Sahagún, where a single priest offers Mass on Sundays at two convents and two parish churches (not simultaneously!). Big talk is the two new sisters at the Madres Benedictinas -- black women, from west Africa! One of them is sacristán! :D
No mention of the pope, except in the usual prayers of the people.
I knew priests were scarce here in Ireland with one priest covering several parishes but mass is still available on Saturday evening and Sunday morning in all the parishes and the odd evening mass thrown in. I did not realise that it was the same or worse in the country areas in Spain. Its a sign of the times I suppose. Hopefuly it will improve.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There seems to be a shortage of home-grown priests in North America. The last two I encountered (I tend to avoid them) were a Polish import at a friends wedding in Canada, and a Viet Namese one at a funeral.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back