• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eight Months of Sustained Obsession...

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
Well, here I am, sitting at a full eight months of fairly excited sustained obsession about going on El Camino de Santiago, Camino Frances. I feel rather proud of myself, for sustaining this interest, but in fact, it has gone through stages tantamount to other various stages (my name is Deb, and I am a camino-holic...).

Some interesting parts of my obsession:
1. becoming very well-known at REI and having become a member, get rewards and feel better when I return stuff which is often, because initially I made purchasing mistakes. For example, I just returned a sleep sack that was 54 dollars, as I've decided that since I'm starting in October, I should just take my super light down bag. Good.

2. going through a lot of shoe experiments. At this point, I've used most of my allowance budget (yes, I do try to control my spending on this stuff) on a lot of shoes: Vasque ultra waterproof boots, which are amazingly comfortable (probably will take them); Salomon trail running shoes, which I love (work out with them doing trails); Keene water sandals (like Whispers, but heavier)--and I'll probably return them. Yep, they keep pebbles out, but my little toes poke out of them; Teva sandals, which are super light and feel amazing. They will go with me; Cascade trail running shoes, which I have not used much, but I will use them and love them here at home. They may or may not be something I take.

3. my previous backpacking around SE Asia has helped me tons with super-light packing. It will be two shorts, two pants, three undies, two bras kind of packing. I can do that, but my color scheme is going to rock the Iberian Peninsula. If it's not red, it's purple or turquoise. And I have enough buffs to outfit a giraffe. I will probably take two or three : )

Now, my current obsession is getting to my finish line with teaching. In one month and seven days, I will be done. So with the Camino plans--departure 28 September, and return 14 November--and my daughter's marriage in September (the 19th, and I will be a buff little mama by that point!), I'm set.

Here is a question for you....how long were you able to sustain the excitement when first you decided to go?

Do you ever feel frustrated that you can't go "right NOW"? I've been fighting that just a little, and the planning is a good way for me to cope. I also feel like deferring reward is a very good practice for me. Do you think of the deferred reward?

Waiting to hear....and "Buen Camino" to all. May your walk be joyful and sunny.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I decided in December 2012 to do the Camino Frances, just days after hearing about it. I remained focused on preparation until I left my home on September 4, 2013. When not obsessing with ounces, I was obsessing on daily walking and stretching. While the spiritual aspect interested me, I didn't obsess over it. No regrets, and now I am obsessing on St Olav's Way, my upcoming pilgrimage in Norway.

...At this point, I've used most of my allowance budget (yes, I do try to control my spending on this stuff) on a lot of shoes...

Here is a question for you....how long were you able to sustain the excitement when first you decided to go? ...

Do take only two pairs of shoes, one for on the road, one for off the road.

As for your second question: For years, still dreaming and planning for the Big J ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

As for your second question: For years, still dreaming and planning for the Big J ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Jerusalem?

Buen Camino, SY

Or James, as in Saint?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, here I am, sitting at a full eight months of fairly excited sustained obsession about going on El Camino de Santiago, Camino Frances. I feel rather proud of myself, for sustaining this interest, but in fact, it has gone through stages tantamount to other various stages (my name is Deb, and I am a camino-holic...).

1. becoming very well-known at REI and having become a member, get rewards and feel better when I return stuff which is often, because initially I made purchasing mistakes. For example, I just returned a sleep sack that was 54 dollars, as I've decided that since I'm starting in October, I should just take my super light down bag. Good.

2. going through a lot of shoe experiments. At this point, I've used most of my allowance budget (yes, I do try to control my spending on this stuff) on a lot of shoes: Vasque ultra waterproof boots, which are amazingly comfortable (probably will take them); Salomon trail running shoes, which I love (work out with them doing trails); Keene water sandals (like Whispers, but heavier)--and I'll probably return them. Yep, they keep pebbles out, but my little toes poke out of them; Teva sandals, which are super light and feel amazing. They will go with me; Cascade trail running shoes, which I have not used much, but I will use them and love them here at home. They may or may not be something I take.

3. my previous backpacking around SE Asia has helped me tons with super-light packing. It will be two shorts, two pants, three undies, two bras kind of packing. I can do that, but my color scheme is going to rock the Iberian Peninsula. If it's not red, it's purple or turquoise. And I have enough buffs to outfit a giraffe. I will probably take two or three : )

Now, my current obsession is getting to my finish line with teaching. In one month and seven days, I will be done. So with the Camino plans--departure 28 September, and return 14 November--and my daughter's marriage in September (the 19th, and I will be a buff little mama by that point!), I'm set.

Here is a question for you....how long were you able to sustain the excitement when first you decided to go?

Do you ever feel frustrated that you can't go "right NOW"? I've been fighting that just a little, and the planning is a good way for me to cope. I also feel like deferring reward is a very good practice for me. Do you think of the deferred reward?

I decided to do the Camino Frances in June of 2014, having convinced my wife that it was a good idea (or at least that she was willing to go along with my obsession). Originally we were going to wait for my retirement, but I couldn't wait, so now we are heading out around both of our 60th birthdays. We're now just over a year away from our journey (starting May 10, 2016) and I still am combing this forum for info (and some funny stories). We've also been to REI quite a bit as of late (but have been members for years - my wife has a membership card that may be on papyrus :D). We now have shoes, socks, jackets and shirts, but are waiting to invest in the backpack and sleeping bag. It is hard waiting, but fun planning and reading about the journeys of others.

In the meantime, wishing you a Buen Camino.

Last edited:
I decided to do the Camino Frances in June of 2014, having convinced my wife that it was a good idea (or at least that she was willing to go along with my obsession). Originally we were going to wait for my retirement, but I couldn't wait, so now we are heading out around both of our 60th birthdays. We're now just over a year away from our journey (starting May 10, 2016) and I still am combing this forum for info (and some funny stories). We've also been to REI quite a bit as of late (but have been members for years - my wife has a membership card that maybe on papyrus :D). We now have shoes, socks, jackets and shirts, but are waiting to invest in the backpack and sleeping bag. It is hard waiting, but fun planning and reading about the journeys of others.

In the meantime, wishing you a Buen Camino.
Kuznitz--my first membership to REI was back in 1993, twenty-two years ago. Unfortunately, it was in my ex's (and my) name, but in order to put a halt to the awkward conversations, explanations, look ups on my "old" name, yada, yada--I just cancelled that one and get a brand new one, in my name (sigh of relief). I absolutely applaud you for getting your wife to go along with your obsession, and good job on getting her to go with you. My husband is an uber fit guy of 60 who tries to mimic me calling him from Spain: "Honey! I've decided I'm just going to take a bus to Barcelona and get some new shoes..." He has, in the past, persuaded me to go on major hikes by misrepresenting their difficulties, so he's experienced my digging in my heels and dropping my pack and staring him down.

He has not climbed Mt. Hood or Mt. St. Helens with me, nor has he backpacked all the way around SE Asia with me, so he has a suspicion that I'm going to struggle mightily. I will, but I will be fine, of course! Anyway, he has NOT felt the call.

Interestingly, Jay (the spouse) now knows a LOT about the Way of St. James, and proudly tells people all about my plans. In fact, he has them memorized....knows the flight details, where I'll be for the first few days, knows about my pack and what will be in it. He has developed some pride in this obsession, but then again, he also remembers the other obsessions....my teaching myself to play the accordion, my obsession with making the best homemade pesto, my need for a Mustang convertible when I was 50, and other such things. He has also been fascinated for a long time about my need to travel: he doesn't understand it, but he appreciates it

I did my first Camino with little planning and no obsession...I hadn't seen The Way, and didn't know about the forum. I just packed my pack and went.
Of course it was then that the Camino got under my skin. ;)
(Edit...Wishing you a smooth and happy countdown to retirement and a very buen Camino, Deb! This is one thing that can live up to expectation...the breadth and depth of the experience defies any attempt to articulate it, try as we might (geraldcarey does tell some funny stories, though...).)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did my first Camino with little planning and no obsession...I hadn't seen The Way, and didn't know about the forum. I just packed my pack and went.
Of course it was then that the Camino got under my skin. ;)

I had not seen The Way nor seen this forum, but had learned about the El Camino de Santiago from church....then I found the movies, Youtubes, and forum, and was delighted! I would have left months ago, but had some miles to go in my final year of teaching.

Years! This is such a good post and I am now looking up all your shoes to see your tastes and maybe steal a few ideas...lmao
big hugs!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To see how long my obsession with the Camino has been maintained, look under my avatar at the "Joined" date. I have a 35-year-old membership at MEC (the Canadian equivalent of REI) and a Gortex jacket I bought there at the time! It is the only place I like to shop. My daughter had a friend whose bridesmaids all wore little khaki-coloured hiking dresses from MEC. Has your daughter considered that? They have great mother-of-the-bride clothes, too!

P.S. The hardest wait is to retirement! Once that was done, I became more patient with my plans.

To see how long my obsession with the Camino has been maintained, look under my avatar at the "Joined" date. I have a 35-year-old membership at MEC (the Canadian equivalent of REI) and a Gortex jacket I bought there at the time! It is the only place I like to shop. My daughter had a friend whose bridesmaids all wore little khaki-coloured hiking dresses from MEC. Has your daughter considered that? They have great mother-of-the-bride clothes, too!

P.S. The hardest wait is to retirement! Once that was done, I became more patient with my plans.
Funny! MEC is my favourite store too. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One nite a while back...i thought
santiago..
So I Looked. Up the routing
And in very short order decided to go.
Thats it,i knew it was and is the right thing to do..
Lucky i found the forum...
Was ready to sling a pack of about ohhh
A jillion litres onto my back and start somewhere in at the edge of town and figure out a way to walk to somewhere up tbe east coast to fly to europe.

Well...
Takeing advice seriously from many veterans, it will be next year in the Fall when ai first put foot to road.
The longing hits me solid,like now and if i had the way,i would leave..right now.

Its going on a few months,
Some say...
You have to wait and see if a calling is true...

I woulld like to think it is.

Dont have this chance turn into a regret.

You only have so much time to "spend"

I hope to see all you guys out there
I wonder if i'll meet Santiago...out there somewhere,
And if i do,
Ill tell him about you guys
Some starlit night,by a little fire in some shepards hut..(yes..my s3nce of direction is..to quote..legendary)
Ime sure he would understand

Stay the course peregrino ;)

I did my first Camino in 2014 from Logrono to Burgos walking with my mum who's walked various parts of the way over the years but never all in one go. This year we were going to do the same and walk for two weeks from Burgos. However about three months ago an idea started to form in my walk to walk the whole Camino Frances. It felt like the right thing to do and the more I thought about it the more obsessed I became and wanted to make it a reality! So I've taken two months off work and start on 3rd August from SJPP and am so excited mixed in with a little apprehension.

I too am going through the shoe experimental stage at the moment. I loved my boots I took last year Asolos Ellery boots as they were super light but I got blisters after 4 days as they are just too narrow for my wide feet. So I've been back to Cotswolds Outdoor several times and been trying on every boot in the shop. So far I've taken home some Meindl X-SO 70 Lady Mid GTX boots but they didn't feel right so I'm now trialling Salomons Comet 3D GTX boots. I have a tendency to go over on my ankles so need boots for the support but if anyone has other suggestions for wide feet that would be great.

Having this forum site is invaluable, buen camino everyone and happy planning!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Years! This is such a good post and I am now looking up all your shoes to see your tastes and maybe steal a few ideas...lmao
big hugs!

Pattii: I am fastidious about what I will put on my feet. I can't stand being in foot or back pain, and find the two to be so intimately connected!

For work (teaching), I will wear laced gladiator-type sandals in Spring, or Birkenstocks, or something reasonable. I don't "do" heels unless it's a short dinner out. Even then, my heel day is mostly over. When I was in the music industry, it could be four-inch lemon-yellow spiked snakeskinesque heels....good heavens. Not doing that world anymore; that was the roaring 20's, as it were.

I've tried every shoe described in this forum, and bought the ones I loved, returning the shoes that were obviously not going to work. As I am going later in the year, I think the Vasques are really likely to go with me---unless I decide to swing back to my first loves, Merrells. It could happen! I've been wearing Merrells for years, and years, and years.

Yes Merrells rock and I totally agree with you about the "heal days" being over...also in my past in the music biz the 4 inchers were a regular occurrence although in my later days on stage I took to wearing bare feet. lol It became my signature at one point. lol

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Every single DAY! Next flight is three weeks today and that is 21 days too many! :(
@Al the optimist, how is the fasciia treating you? I leave in less than two weeks and the pain has come back with avengence last week. Now all the time I spend sitting is spent with a frozen bottle of water under my feet, with 3 Advil a day. I think I will go looking for a different pair of treking runners this week, a pair that is completely stiff, from heel to toe. I keep thinking I might be better off walking with my plastic cast boot I used a few years ago after breaking a few bones in that same foot. (Latest purchase and what I now wear daily with orthotics are Salomons which I loved, until the podiatrist changed my orthotics and the pain came back ;0( !)

As for @AugustCaminodeb and her shoe fetish, yeah, I have that as well ;0) But only bring 2 pairs: one for walking during the day, one to rest in the evening. I would not recommend the Tevas if you plan on wearing them in the shower, because of the ribbon straps. But if not wearing them in the shower by all means: I got a pair of Northland treking sandals in Astorga after no longer being able to stand my lovely boots, but they would not dry quickly. Fine fo the occasional shower, in fact perfect (loved not having to worry about getting my shoes wet and muddy as they would clean as I went) but would not have liked wet and cold feet evening after evening. This year will be swapping by trusted, though slippery, Crocs for a pair of EVA Birkenstocks for better arch suport. Time will tell if it's a wise decision.

BTW, I know there are little bags of chemical you can activate to get heat - they serve as a heating pad - but what about something I can just activate and get cold on my feet?

@Al the optimist, how is the fasciia treating you? I leave in less than two weeks and the pain has come back with avengence last week. Now all the time I spend sitting is spent with a frozen bottle of water under my feet, with 3 Advil a day. I think I will go looking for a different pair of treking runners this week, a pair that is completely stiff, from heel to toe. I keep thinking I might be better off walking with my plastic cast boot I used a few years ago after breaking a few bones in that same foot. (Latest purchase and what I now wear daily with orthotics are Salomons which I loved, until the podiatrist changed my orthotics and the pain came back ;0( !)

As for @AugustCaminodeb and her shoe fetish, yeah, I have that as well ;0) But only bring 2 pairs: one for walking during the day, one to rest in the evening. I would not recommend the Tevas if you plan on wearing them in the shower, because of the ribbon straps. But if not wearing them in the shower by all means: I got a pair of Northland treking sandals in Astorga after no longer being able to stand my lovely boots, but they would not dry quickly. Fine fo the occasional shower, in fact perfect (loved not having to worry about getting my shoes wet and muddy as they would clean as I went) but would not have liked wet and cold feet evening after evening. This year will be swapping by trusted, though slippery, Crocs for a pair of EVA Birkenstocks for better arch suport. Time will tell if it's a wise decision.

BTW, I know there are little bags of chemical you can activate to get heat - they serve as a heating pad - but what about something I can just activate and get cold on my feet?
I want to say firstly I am not saying you should take drugs...lol. But. I have had back surgery...have permanent nerve damage in my one leg and foot and struggle with pain on a daily basis. I would highly recommend asking your doctor for something like tramadol. I use it regularly...it is specifically for people who need a pain killer long term. It has very few drawbacks for me... I don't get sleepy or high off of it and it is taken at regular intervals and should not be skipped. In fact if you talk to someone who specializes in pain issues they tell you do NOT take pain killers including advil when the pain sets in. It can take up to an hour or more for an advil to take affect even the fast acting ones and you should be taking them at regular intervals to prevent the body from getting to its pain threshold and therefore causing you to have to stop and sit and ache and ache and ache. I have learned the hard way with that not wanting to rely on them. But I now realize that taking my pain meds regularly is the same as taking my bipolar medication...it prevents the problem rather than just keeping it at bay.
Always check with a DR. for any pain med regime but do ask for advice with this. And by the way for severe pain you can double up...one or two advil extra strength with a tylenol extra strength. They affect the body in different ways and doubling up is often the best way to go. Do not take two different meds with the same base...for instance I cannot take tylenol with tramadol as it has the same base...but I can take it with advil.

Just some friendly advice.

hope you feel better~

Ha, ha--my "shoe fetish"! You called that one. I know that I've read that the Tevas are bad for the shower, with the ribbon strips--which stay wet and cold. I do have some crocs too, and may end up taking them. I like the traditional ugly club-style crocks, actually, although they make my already large feet look like boats! Must remember not to worry about such silly stuff, and we all have our issues, for sure. I have seen that Birkenstocks have a rubbery type shoe, and have wondered about them. My standard birkenstocks have taken me awhile to break in, and I hate the thing between the large and second toe....

So sorry to hear of your foot pain. I battle with Plantar's fasciaitis too on occasion, though lately I've been good.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The EVA Birkies are the Madrid model, and don't have a toe thingy - they just have a wide band across the top of the foot. They are also not as stiff as the 'real ones' which frankly take me time to get used to. My poor feet ache for a few days getting used to them. But for my painful feet I am hoping they will be a good compromise.

And don't worry, I don't just have a Camino shoe fettish but an What-Ever Camino fettish ;0) I own 3 pairs of poles, 2 backpacks, keep testing blister solutions... I better stop my confesion ;0)

Pattii, thank you for your advice. I know Tramadol if widely used in the US. Here in Canada perhaps not so much, although one of my dogs got a prescription for it and I have wondered if it might help me. I will head to the walking-in clinic associated with my regular doc and ask about it. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? ;0) Thank you for letting me now how it works, and how it doesn't.

As for not 'taking drugs" let me tell you a story. A year ago I headed down to NYC to see my accupuncturist - yes, he is that good that I go once or twice a year and find relief, so he is well worth the travel time and expense. At home one of my bitches (female dog for those who may be offended ;0) ) was in season. As I went by bus so not to drive and still stay within budget, we had to stop at the border. They had us take our bags off the bus, and sit in the waiting room while Fido sniffed us. Fido did spend a quarter of a second more on me than on the others. Then I see my bag being walked in and the border staff (as if I am about to call them 'officers'!) asked who owned it. ME! They proceded to take me aside, ask me all sorts of questions about drug consumption, went through my bag. I didn't care as I knew they would come out empty. So, being a bit cheeky, I asked the civil servant with the dog if the dog was a male. "I am not at liberty to discuss my dog" says the civil servant. "Because if he is, he needs to go back into training because he can't tell the difference between a bitch in season and drugs". He was not please but had to let me go. Backlash: just travelled within Canada and every time was asked to submit to the 'random" extra test. Next time I travel within Canada I will do so with my Spanish passport ;0)

Pattii, thank you again for this wonderful and candid advice. I hope I was able to repay you for it with a good laugh with my story about the US civil servants activating themselves at the border ;0)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think my post got lost, so I'll try this again... Have you tried using super feet insoles? I can't walk without them. http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/blog/article/plantar-fasciitis-explained.
@BShea , I have not but will take a good look at the link you sent me. I have been wearing "traditional" stiff orthotics, and more recently Vasyly Dananbergs which were recommended first to give my feet a rest from the hard orthotics and now to alternate with them. http://www.vasylimedical.com/products/product_howard_dananberg.html. What do I know. I just hope to get better. Thank you for your input.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Unfortunately they appear to be 1 time use only and can not be reactivated.
So are the little hot packs for warming finger and toes. That's why they come 24 in a box. I'm not recommending them, just pointing out that they are available.

Have you been reading @Robo 's blog? He seems to have no trouble getting ice for his mid day icing. Of course he's on a busier route than you will be on so might not be as easy for you.

So are the little hot packs for warming finger and toes. That's why they come 24 in a box. I'm not recommending them, just pointing out that they are available.

Have you been reading @Robo 's blog? He seems to have no trouble getting ice for his mid day icing. Of course he's on a busier route than you will be on so might not be as easy for you.
I do plan on buying an Aquarius Free whenever I can I ask for 'ice on the side" ;0) but I would have loved to have found a pack that I could recharge in the evening. Business opportunity anyone? ;0)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow. Those insoles look amazing. I'd never heard of them. Probably better than mine. Super feet were recommended to me by a podiatrist and meet my needs... but I don't think I'm dealing with a problem as serious as yours. Hope you're able to find relief.

Wow. Those insoles look amazing. I'd never heard of them. Probably better than mine. Super feet were recommended to me by a podiatrist and meet my needs... but I don't think I'm dealing with a problem as serious as yours. Hope you're able to find relief.
And they are only C$50 0r so. I just called and asked for them. They seemed to know who was recomending them. I never sent in a Rx. Apparently you can mold them to your foot with a hairdrying and remove little bits here and there depending on the problem, but I just wear mine as they are.

@AugustCaminodeb , have we hijcaked your thread with my bad feet? My appologies. Are you sure you don't have flat feet, fasciitis or anything else relevant to what I have send your thread into ;0)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
And they are only C$50 0r so. I just called and asked for them. They seemed to know who was recomending them. I never sent in a Rx. Apparently you can mold them to your foot with a hairdrying and remove little bits here and there depending on the problem, but I just wear mine as they are.

@AugustCaminodeb , have we hijcaked your thread with my bad feet? My appologies. Are you sure you don't have flat feet, fasciitis or anything else relevant to what I have send your thread into ;0)

Anemone: I am actually very appreciative. Give you a foot, you took a mile, and it's been to bitches, borders, and back to NYC! (new readers: kindly refer to Anemone's above post about canine estrus: I am not being inappropriate, just using correct lexicon).

My feet...true confessions. About six years ago, I developed a bad habit that had me sitting a lot for long stretches of time. Don't ask. I developed plantar's fascitis and achilles tendonitis, one on one foot, and one on the other. I had to go through serious physical therapy for about six month, and adjusted my lifestyle. Now, on the cusp of retirement (yes, I know I look young for retirement, but I teach high school, and most of us develop a very youthful appearance, when we don't look totally exhausted) I am in fair shape, but looking forward to being a buff hiking machine by July. I shape up (I'm naturally strong) very fast. My feet though... they are not my best feature. I'm constantly stretching them, massaging them, trying to figure out how to keep from having severe pain in them. I have gotten as attentive to the darn things as a mother dog to her pups....

Now back to amusing border stories! They stop me too, by the way. It was all that time living overseas.

€149,-
Pattii, thank you for your advice. I know Tramadol if widely used in the US. Here in Canada perhaps not so much, although one of my dogs got a prescription for it and I have wondered if it might help me. I will head to the walking-in clinic associated with my regular doc and ask about it. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? ;0) Thank you for letting me now how it works, and how it doesn't.

As for not 'taking drugs" let me tell you a story. A year ago I headed down to NYC to see my accupuncturist - yes, he is that good that I go once or twice a year and find relief, so he is well worth the travel time and expense. At home one of my bitches (female dog for those who may be offended ;0) ) was in season. As I went by bus so not to drive and still stay within budget, we had to stop at the border. They had us take our bags off the bus, and sit in the waiting room while Fido sniffed us. Fido did spend a quarter of a second more on me than on the others. Then I see my bag being walked in and the border staff (as if I am about to call them 'officers'!) asked who owned it. ME! They proceded to take me aside, ask me all sorts of questions about drug consumption, went through my bag. I didn't care as I knew they would come out empty. So, being a bit cheeky, I asked the civil servant with the dog if the dog was a male. "I am not at liberty to discuss my dog" says the civil servant. "Because if he is, he needs to go back into training because he can't tell the difference between a bitch in season and drugs". He was not please but had to let me go. Backlash: just travelled within Canada and every time was asked to submit to the 'random" extra test. Next time I travel within Canada I will do so with my Spanish passport ;0)

Pattii, thank you again for this wonderful and candid advice. I hope I was able to repay you for it with a good laugh with my story about the US civil servants activating themselves at the border ;0)
It made me laugh hard for sure...I always wonder how they get those jobs...lmao. It seems to me they have far too much time on their hands. Deal with things that matter like guns not dogs in heat and the occasional joint. I honestly don't have issues with either..lmao after all I am Canadian!
Yes do find out about the tramadol it has been a complete life saver to me. I struggled for years and I am so not one for codeine or morphine or anything made from them...sleepy, sick to my stomach and completely out of it is not pain relief it is being high and not the good kind...lmao.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Al the optimist, how is the fasciia treating you?
Thanks for asking and I am sorry to hear that your foot is imitating a female dog. I have a heel spur. It is a calcium deposit on the back of my heel. The lump of bone will not go away, so I am stuck with it and it's pain. Fortunately it is not bad all the time and sometimes it is only an ache so I rarely have to resort to a painkiller (I don't like to take them anyway). However it does affect my walking speed and often causes me to limp. I have not been able to train so will be crossing my fingers when I go. I will try to be disciplined and walk short stages slowly with lots of stopping. I know this will mean my having to lose many new friends almost as soon as I have met them, but on the bright side I will meet more of them and they will not have to suffer me for too long! :)

My cat was given tramadol and it turned him into a fierce attack cat! I was given it for a dental problem and it caused severe nausea and vomiting. Not for everyone.

€149,-
My cat was given tramadol and it turned him into a fierce attack cat! I was given it for a dental problem and it caused severe nausea and vomiting. Not for everyone.
I think it totally depends on dosage and if its sustained release or not. But no med is for everyone. They doctors call it a cocktail when medicating for pain or for mental disabilities...what works for one will not work for another. It is definitely a trial and error situation. But at the end of the day one has to work with what works for them. Meds like tylenol and advil are very hard on the kidneys and liver, and sometimes instead of taking mega doses of the over the counter meds its better to find something a little stronger that works without having to over medicate. ANY MED SHOULD BE DISCUSSED WITH A DOCTOR. And if you work it out its better in the long run. Quality of life is important to me. Living in pain is not quality of life. So I found tramadol and it works for me. I am happy it does. ALSO talk to pharmacist; they often know better than a doctor what meds are worthy of a try. My pharmacist has saved my world many a time. Good luck finding the right one for you.

The thing is with a walk like this there are bound to be issues if one already lives with chronic pain...better to work it out before you go for sure.

There are so many things to remember to bring. In having said that, please remember to watch the weight of your pack. Take the meds that you absolutely need. When on the Camino you will get many suggestions for whatever bothers you. Remember that in most towns on the Camino, there are Pharmacias. They can help you too. I went to the Pharmacia in a small town just to pick up some Motrin while on the Camino. I not only got the Motrin , I also got a free foot massage.
I completed my Camino September 30th 2013. I remember the first morning in SJPDP , walking up the hill and starting my journey. I could not believe that I was there at last on the Camino. (What I now know is that your actual journey starts when you leave home.)
It also seemed that as soon as I got back home I wanted to go back to Spain and the Camino and do it all over again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My feet...true confessions. About six years ago, I developed a bad habit that had me sitting a lot for long stretches of time. Don't ask. I developed plantar's fascitis and achilles tendonitis, one on one foot, and one on the other. I had to go through serious physical therapy for about six month, and adjusted my lifestyle.

My feet are great until I hit 10k then they start to get sore. I do not know if I strained them on a 33k one day pilgrimage or if it is plantar's fascitis. There is no pain during the day until I do my 10k. Could you share some of the physical therapy you used or what you are doing to prevent this? I certainly do not wear heels, but sit for long periods at the computer. It really makes me nervous.

My feet are great until I hit 10k then they start to get sore. I do not know if I strained them on a 33k one day...
I also have a problem after 10-12 km, in the metatarsal area of one foot. I think it was bruised from some hard walks on concrete sidewalks. It is somewhat better now after 4 months including weeks of rest and even anti-inflammatory, but I am nervous about how it will stand up to day-after-day of 20 km. I already use custom orthotics.

Any new tips would be welcome.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back