• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Electrolytes Help. I forgot my Nuun

TexasIndia

Still Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct 2022
Oct 2023
I'm starting tomorrow in Llanes on the Camino del Norte/Primitivo. My legs were cramping last night and I realized I had forgotten my Nuun tablets.
Any suggestions for alternative electrolytes. I have a hard time with very sweet drinks like Gatorade. Is there something readily available at a bar or a grocery?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Any farmacia will sell electrolytes.
Though they may be more of the Diarrhea rehydration type than sports type.
Of course there is the local version of Gatorade, Aquarius that all bars and stores carry.
I see it's made by Coca Cola!

It also has a sugar free (Sin azúcar) version. I always use that.

Any farmacia will sell electrolytes.
Though they may be more of the Diarrhea rehydration type than sports type.
Of course there is the local version of Gatorade, Aquarius that all bars and stores carry.
I see it's made by Coca Cola!

It also has a sugar free (Sin azúcar) version. I always use that.
Agreed the sugar free Aquarius is great and very freely available in all the main supermarkets. Two flavours I think, orange and lemon. A big bottle (1.5lt) is about €1.80. It will clearly state ‘sin azucar’ at the top (neck) of the bottle.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Some foods that can help prevent muscle cramps are bananas, nuts and leafy green vegetables.

As for relieving muscle cramps, a lot of people have been able to get almost immediate relief with either yellow mustard or pickle juice. Yeah, crazy but I've seen it work with Peg. She keeps packets of mustard in her daypack.

We have a thread on the topic.

I have had in the past leg cramps so bad it has thrown me out of bed, once almost out a 6th floor window in Quito. My wife who has experience working in an old age home says that the nurses would give salt to such sufferers and that would immediately resolve the problem. So for the past 8 years I have a small dish of kosher salt next to the bed and I have avoided this ever since.
I do take secondary precautions, no top bunks! I had this happen once in a hostel and it was not an experience I'd ever want to relive

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This may sound crazy, but if you have Amazon Prime, use it to ship what you need to a place where you are going to be. Check ahead and makes sure they will accept it. But, if the will, it's a quick and easy way to get things where you want them to be. I've used that to get something to me and it's working a few times without a hitch. You just have to make sure that you are ordering it on a European Amazon site.

I'm starting tomorrow in Llanes on the Camino del Norte/Primitivo. My legs were cramping last night and I realized I had forgotten my Nuun tablets.
Any suggestions for alternative electrolytes. I have a hard time with very sweet drinks like Gatorade. Is there something readily available at a bar or a grocery?
Another vote for Aquarius. I cannot stand Gatorade it's b awful but Aquarius is absolutely wonderful after or during a day's walk. Full sugar is still way less sweet than even a Sprite let alone Gatorade. I seldom actually drink any type of soda but this seems to really hit the spot plus deals with the issue of cramping ie - none!

Other than Aquarius, my best suggestion is to go to a farmacia. Either show the empty tube for your Nuun tablets, or show the website to the farmacist. They likely have similar electrolyte tablets behind the counter.

BTW - I have used Aquarius in cases of traveler's diarrhea, all over Europe for several decades. It works but has less hydration salts in it than a specific product made for medical grade rehydration. Then again, I also carry loperamide (Immodium) tablets with me too.

But for simple rehydration tablet or powder, I recommend trying a farmacia for something similar to Nuun.

Hope this helps.

Tom

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks all. If I stay on top of it, I can usually be ok. I'm going to drink an Aquarius daily. Since it's going to cool down a bit hopefully I'll be ok. If not I'll go to the farmacia. I'm going to see about Amazon. I'll be in Oviedo 2 days.

Eat fresh tomatoes. The sodium in them is brilliant at stopping cramp. I have consumed cherry tomatoes for years whilst competing in long distance walking and trail races.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes to Aquarius! Also, while you're still in a town, see if you can get Calcium/Magnesium tablets at a pharmacy. I walked all around Leon and finally found a tiny vitamin store. And drink more water!

Eat fresh tomatoes. The sodium in them is brilliant at stopping cramp. I have consumed cherry tomatoes for years whilst competing in long distance walking and trail races.
Thanks. I'm a marathon runner and swear by Nuun. I'll try tomatoes, Aquarius and other things mentioned here!

Incidentally ,@TexasIndia , bananas and salted nuts eg cashews generally speaking are more than sufficient to assist me through a hard, hot day on a job site - I don't see why the camino would be any different. They're actually recommended on various sites is a natural electrolyte source.
I just added the aquarius to my personal Camino list because it was suggested elsewhere and after a particularly long hot day it was great!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Aquaris

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.