• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do I harden my feet?

falconbrother

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
We are doing the Camino Frances around late May - early July, 24. We hike on the regular and do multiple day hikes. I’m turning 60 soon. I’m not worried about my legs. I would like to know how to harden my feet. Any ideas and experience appreciated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are doing the Camino Frances around late May - early July, 24. We hike on the regular and do multiple day hikes. I’m turning 60 soon. I’m not worried about my legs. I would like to know how to harden my feet. Any ideas and experience appreciated.
I remember walking with a Frenchman who used arnica for that purpose. I never knew what it was or how it worked, but the word stuck with me. He swore by it. I have never done anything to harden the feet and actually am curious about what the benefits are!

I don’t know if you can harden your feet but they sure get used to walking everyday if you give them TLC. What worked for me ( I have osteoarthritis in several toes on both feet) was rotating several different insoles I bought at pharmacies that offered more cushioning for the forefoot and heel. I had three different pairs that I used to walk approx 1000 kms this spring from Bayonne to Santiago. I also would massage my feet with this cream which has extra arnica in it. Also important for me was addressing hot spots on my feet early and not to ignore them. Morning foot care before starting my walk was a priority.

Arnica comes from a flower which has anti inflammatory uses and for pain relief. I use it regularly for sore muscles, bruising and general aches and pains from arthritis. Been using it for over 13 years both personally and professionally. 👍❤️

Buen Camino in 2024 👍

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don’t know if you can harden your feet

Your comment made me head to the internet, because I realized I didn’t know that either. This is lifted from a podiatrist’s website, so I am assuming it’s got some scientific basis.

I will say though that I have seen some pretty ugly blisters under calluses, thankfully, not on my feet!

Tip 2. Toughen Your Feet to Prevent Blisters​

They don’t call a newbie a tenderfoot for nothing! Your soft, pink feet will have fewer problems with blisters if your skin gets a little tougher.

Calluses Are Your friends: As your feet get more of a workout, they build up calluses. These are your friends—you want calluses, which act as a natural pad against the friction that forms blisters. Do not give in to beauty and shave off or pumice down the calluses, at least not until after the long walk.

Tannic Acid to Toughen: Marathoners and long-distance walkers may want to toughen the feet with 10% tannic acid or a tea soak. Apply the tannic acid to your feet, or soak in strong tea, twice daily for two to three weeks.

Moisturize Away Heel Cracks: To prevent your calluses from drying out too much and developing painful cracks, moisturize your feet after each bath or shower with a good foot cream or hand cream.

Arnica comes from a flower which has anti inflammatory uses and for pain relief.
So, @Dani7 are you surprised that someone would be using it to “toughen” his feet? Seems like it’s not indicated for that purpose!

Your comment made me head to the internet, because I realized I didn’t know that either. This is lifted from a podiatrist’s website, so I am assuming it’s got some scientific basis.

I will say though that I have seen some pretty ugly blisters under calluses, thankfully, not on my feet!

Tip 2. Toughen Your Feet to Prevent Blisters​

They don’t call a newbie a tenderfoot for nothing! Your soft, pink feet will have fewer problems with blisters if your skin gets a little tougher.

Calluses Are Your friends: As your feet get more of a workout, they build up calluses. These are your friends—you want calluses, which act as a natural pad against the friction that forms blisters. Do not give in to beauty and shave off or pumice down the calluses, at least not until after the long walk.

Tannic Acid to Toughen: Marathoners and long-distance walkers may want to toughen the feet with 10% tannic acid or a tea soak. Apply the tannic acid to your feet, or soak in strong tea, twice daily for two to three weeks.

Moisturize Away Heel Cracks: To prevent your calluses from drying out too much and developing painful cracks, moisturize your feet after each bath or shower with a good foot cream or hand cream.

So, @Dani7 are you surprised that someone would be using it to “toughen” his feet? Seems like it’s not indicated for that purpose!
If they think it hardens their feet who am I to say differently. 😊 I used the cream for inflammation and pain relief mostly and keep them soft. Don’t want cracks on my heels 😜.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used to use surgical spirit to harden my feet and then I met a lady who used some sort of baby cream to soften her feet. Both seemed to work but now I don't use anything I just walk a lot in the months before I go for a "long" walk. However, I know that my heels are prone to blisters no matter what shoes/boots I wear so I use zinc oxide tape on any vulnerable areas before I start.

Wow, just done a Google search for “toughening feet” the result about a million hits and just about the same number of solutions. Given you have plans for 2024 then lots of time to work out what works best for you.
A good place to start might be, Hoka running shoes, medium merino socks and a liner sock plus Vaseline worked for me, Almeria, Granada to SdP.
Regards
George

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just walk - a lot. Or if you really want to try something left field get some ‘barefoot’ trail shoes and these will toughen your feet. I just play golf 3 or 4 times a week to make sure I am camino fit - well that is what I tell my wife I need to do!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As said in several posts, walk barefoot. Start in and around your house, then on pavement, then on dirt paths, then on gravel paths. Also walk in your Camino shoes without socks, but not to the point of blisters or skin removal.

I wear sandals when not walking barefoot, keep my feet dry, heavy sox seem to be counter productive.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I never try to harden my feet. As in the skin. What I do is to harden them up - as in get them used to walking - and walking in shoes.
Yes my issue is that I spend a lot of time barefoot- it doesnt help guard against friction blisters.
Hard skin in the past has led to horrendous deep blisters, these days I visit a podiatrist and remove hardened skin before walking a Camino.
I get very few blisters on Camino, I used to get them on my heels when I wore shoes, but these days I wear sandals. I do pre-tape vulnerable areas, and look after my feet.

I never try to harden my feet. As in the skin. What I do is to harden them up - as in get them used to walking - and walking in shoes.
Same for me.
Hard skin in the past has led to horrendous deep blisters
Blisters under callused skin can be very hard to treat.

Why must everyone look for a magic potion?

The simple solution is to walk...and walk...and walk. Solve your problems a home in training and then have a trouble-free Camino. It's sad that nobody wants to hear that.

-Paul

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

The simple solution is to walk...and walk...and walk. Solve your problems a home in training and then have a trouble-free Camino. It's sad that nobody wants to hear that.

-Paul
Unfortunately, that doesn't work for everyone. You are correct however there is no magic potion or solution.:)

I agree with the basic message that there is no magic potion and that walking a lot at home is probably the best advice. That way, at least you will become familiar with the vulnerabilities of your feet and ways to manage them. Doesn't guarantee a trouble-free camino, but it will help. I walked 50-70 km/week for a year before my last Camino, in the same model of shoes as I would use, and I still managed to get two blisters!

I am not so sure you want your feet hardened...
I had terrible blisters on my first Camino even though I have calloused runner feet- but this year I used Gewohl foot cream before (the recommend two weeks prior) and every night on the Camino. Many people used vaseline every day before putting on their socks. I think you want to reduce friction- so we used sock liners under our wool socks.
My feet were much improved this year but I also, lightened my bag, bought shoes one size bigger, wore sandals at the end of the hike each day, took socks off every lunch, walked a shorter and less hot Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.