• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

electrolytes

malingerer

samarkand
Time of past OR future Camino
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
any views on their effectiveness when backpacking? thinking mainly along lines of not just rehydration but cramp killers and alleviators of arthritis? ANYTHING TO BEAT the gammy knees! etc.
yours in desperation!
:)
the malingerer.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Worse still you could search the internet instead of just this sweet little forum.

I put a sachet of that (usually blackcurrant flavoured) re-hydration salts that you are supposed to take after a dose of diarrhea into one of my water bottles everyday when i'm hiking. I have done absolutely no scientific research to provide any basis for this, but it makes me feel good. And its a heck of a lot cheaper than the stuff they sell in "sports" shops and tastes nicer than an under-ripe banana. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My first Camino I walked with an ICU nurse who swore by them for helping to prevent blisters and plied me with them for days until I got my own stash. Feet were largely intact- only one blister on the fourth (admittedly funny shaped) toe on each foot. Due to electrolyes? Who knows? I put it in the category of 'can't hurt, might help' and kept using them.

Worse still you could search the internet instead of just this sweet little forum.

I put a sachet of that (usually blackcurrant flavoured) re-hydration salts that you are supposed to take after a dose of diarrhea into one of my water bottles everyday when i'm hiking. I have done absolutely no scientific research to provide any basis for this, but it makes me feel good. And its a heck of a lot cheaper than the stuff they sell in "sports" shops and tastes nicer than an under-ripe banana. :)

Same here. I used FlecToMin available in Pharmacies. Mixed in a water bottle and consumed through the day alternating with water from my bladder.
Did it help? I think so. Though I didn't try walking without it! But I didn't get blisters.....

I also bought Aquarius a lot. In the afternoons it was a great energy booster....

20150517_141202.jpg

My remedy for cramps was magnesium tablets purchased from a Spanish farmacia. Worked a treat. I've also used rehydration salts but had trouble finding decent tasting ones in Spain. The only ones I could find in farmacias were for babies with diahorrea.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The only ones I could find in farmacias were for babies with diahorrea.
That's what we use: sachets of electrolyte powder, which i buy in Costa Rica, basically used for babies with diahrrea. Tastes disgusting, but at least psychologically seems to do the trick. Simply add one to the water bottle when the temperature starts rising and we are still far away from a bar, where I would then buy an Aquarius!

If you have a good diet, and you are not gushing sweat from completion-level exertion, you shouldn't need extra electrolytes. I find some of the options taste better than plain water at times, but even in hot races they have had zero effect on whether I get cramps or not.
The movie Idiocracy had some entertaining commentary on them:

Last edited:
A little salt in the water bottle goes a long way in aiding your body with water absorption for better hydration.

Zzotte

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
OK I think we finally have a solution to cramps!

A Nobel Prize-winning neuroscientist and a Harvard neurobiologist think that they have discovered the antidote.

Flex Pharma’s supplement (I have no affiliation) will be available early next year. I'll be trialling it soon as...

Malingerer,
Having done a lot of long distance training for numerous activities after I turned 50, like ( running 10 marathons, biking across the US in 52 days and hiking across Spain and Portugal several times), electrolytes are a very important part in completing these activities without cramps or problems in having your body firing on all cylinders. You can find these supplements like powdered gatorade or propel which you can add to your water, I usually drink one bottle a day of the mix and add a few package treats that you can buy at any hiking, biking or running store which contain electrolytes, sugar caffeine and sometimes vitamin C and D. They will give you a major boost especially near the end of the day.

We just returned from Peru and did a major a hike to Machu Picchu. We had a person who was having severe cramps in his calves after climbing 2000 feet and gave him some of my stash which I always carry. After 5-10 minutes he was up and going great again.

My Thoughts

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Running 26.2 in 3-4 hours? Yes to electrolytes. Walking that (or more likely less) over 6-8 hours with breakfast and lunch? I'd say no to electrolytes. There's plenty of salt in what you will be eating, and you can become sick from too much sodium (or worse, potassium).
My 2 cents.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.