• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Electrolytes?

jgpryde

Time of past OR future Camino
St.Jean-Santiago (2017)
I've seen references to electrolytes in various threads about carrying enough water.
Is there a general consensus on how important it is to augment one's water while on the path?
Are there particular conditions that necessitate electrolytes such as location, daily distance, time of year, and/or peregrino's age?
Lastly, do you have any specific recommendations concerning brand/flavor/availability of these on the path?

Thanks in advance,

-Jason

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A properly hydrated person eating a reasonably balanced and varied diet does not need supplementary Electrolytes. Excessive hydration, sweating, vomiting and diarrhoea can lead to electrolytic depletion. The sachets of re-hydration salts sold in Farmacias dissolved in water will help. Alternatively one teaspoon of salt and one of sugar in 500ml of water will serve.

Or you could spend lots of money on 'Sports' drinks.

A properly hydrated person eating a reasonably balanced and varied diet does not need supplementary Electrolytes.
Agree. Sugar and salt in the right proportions in water allow for more rapid absorbtion of water. This is useful for some athletes who lose lots of water through perspiration with only a few chances to replace it during the game/match/race. It was also recently found to be a cheap and highly available remedy for cholera where death comes from dehydration from diarrhoea. On the camino it is an easy manner to drink when thirsty so you should never get dehydrated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There should no need for electrolytes. Spanish food is salty enough and on the stops I find that coffee actually helps (stamina) better, plus lots of water of course.

The Camino is not a run but a walk with around 10 kg on your back.

That said for those who perspire easily might want to consider sports drinks as supplement. For most just water will be fine.

You'll be fine without pepping up your water, unless you are planning to have a go at the camino like a professional athlete, like running it at 40 km a day in blistering sunshine. Day to day camino conditions won't be extreme enough to warrant extra intake of electrolytes. Just drink enough water and eat as balanced and varied as you can, as Tincatinker already said.

Having said that, there are better things you can do to ensure happy muscles on the way. Stretch before and after walking (and sometimes in between) and listen to your body so you can slow down and rest in time to avoid injury. Push yourself and your boundaries, but push gently.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Used aquarius now and then in it's separate bladder. Mostly for not running low on energy if a day is getting to long, unexptedly.

Fresh as possible orange juice was my "on the go treat" for this second 1,5 ltr bladder....me like...

I know there are farmacias along the way, but I am going to take a couple of packets of DripDrop they are drinkable unlike some of the oral re-hydration concoctions available. I also plan on incorporating a banana with some frequency along the way to reduce cramping. I have taken homemade dehydrated banana chips for a snack when backpacking. I am not sure if they have the same potassium content as fresh, but they taste good (much better than the packaged store bought version).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've seen references to electrolytes in various threads about carrying enough water.
Is there a general consensus on how important it is to augment one's water while on the path?
Are there particular conditions that necessitate electrolytes such as location, daily distance, time of year, and/or peregrino's age?
Lastly, do you have any specific recommendations concerning brand/flavor/availability of these on the path?

Thanks in advance,

-Jason
Just like the boy's Gunga Din took care of, I drank water. Lot's of it. Now and then after hydrating enjoyed a Coca Cola or a beer.
I walked last July-August, and the weather was very warm. Proper hydration was pretty damn important. During May it should be way cooler.
There are so many places to hydrate up with water while walking the Camino, there's really no need to supplement your hydration with sport's drinks, but still a good idea to carry a few electrolyte packets with you, or packets of Gatorade (or similar) powder. Not to drink all the time, but in the event you overdo it or you see a fellow pilgrim in need.

I know there are farmacias along the way, but I am going to take a couple of packets of DripDrop they are drinkable unlike some of the oral re-hydration concoctions available. I also plan on incorporating a banana with some frequency along the way to reduce cramping. I have taken homemade dehydrated banana chips for a snack when backpacking. I am not sure if they have the same potassium content as fresh, but they taste good (much better than the packaged store bought version).

I always made a point of having a daily breakfast banana. Then I just drank water regularly and was fine.

Something like that Drip-Drop looks useful to include a few packets of in a first aid kit, along with a few immodium. My camino "med" kit is pretty sparse due to the ready availability of pharmacies, but emergency stomach/hydration fixes are not something you can wait to hike another 20 km to find.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am also packing some Immodium. Look for DripDops in Walgreens next to the Pedialyte.

Wow, Thanks for all of the virtual wisdom.
From this, I think I can formulate a plan for my first Camino.

-jgp

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree with many of the replies here. Drinking plenty of water and having a balanced daily diet is good. I also have a can of Aquarius every couple of days too.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, the added potassium from the olives helps prevent muscle cramps.

I craved olives when walking, would buy bowls of them in bars, or packages in groceries to carry as a snack. Didn't even make the potassium connection until now. :rolleyes:

Sort of. It's red wine over ice with Casera, a citrusy soda, or just agua con gas - sparkling water. Sangria has other ingredients, often spirits like brandy or rum.

I ended up preferring to order it as vino y casera with a menu. Seemed a better deal as it was included, poured my own ratio, and didn't get watered down with ice.

My favorite bar order though was sidra. My last camino was the Norte, and I got spoiled on the sidra. Got pretty good at the long pour too.

Anyone know if sidra is to be found on the southern routes, or is there another local drink I should look out for? You know, to replenish all those electrolytes! ;)

Estrella Galicia. Best beer in Spain

I'm not really a regular beer drinker, though. I'm one of those dark/craft beer snobs. :)

I tried to enjoy clara on a hot day, but it didn't sit well with me.

Looking for interesting liquors, like orujo, patxaran, or ginjinha.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think balance is the key - water, cerveza, wine, Aquarius, coffee - some of each will keep you right :)

A better order throughout the day would be: coffee, coffee, Aquarius, cerveza, cerveza, vino tinto, vino tinto (and only drink water when really sick) :D

Oranges are good as well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.