• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Everything i need to know about doing the Camino Frances!

Keeley Wykman

Time of past OR future Camino
hope to walk the Camino at some point this year.
Hi i'm wandering if any of you guys could give me some information on doing the Camino Frances? i'm looking to start at SJPDP right through to Santiago de Compestela, i really don't have much money and looking for the most cheapest option there is! I have been thinking of doing it for a couple of years now and feel i HAVE to do it this year.
Any advice on transfer links from Leeds, England to SJPDP, how to obtain a pilgrim passport and roughly how much everything is going to cost would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Keeley!

In the upper right hand corner is a search box. There's TONS of excellent information here! Probably everything you ever wanted to know has been discussed already.
Happy searching!
Buen Camino!

Ron

Use the search box on this forum and you'll find all the information you need.

You can get a pilgrim passport from your local American Pilgrims on the Camino chapter or you can buy it and a shell at the pilgrim office in SJPP for about 3 euros.

I take small groups and so I walk the Camino every year or two and it just depends on how you want to go:

Airfare: Where are you flying from? I find airfare is usually less expensive about 151 days before my flight. This year we paid around $1150 round trip from Portland, Oregon
Food: I budget 20 euros per day and get along just fine
Lodging: Albergues run from Donativo (which means 5-10 euros, not free) up. I believe you can find lodging for less than 10 euros a night depending on the time of year you go.
Equipment will be your biggest cost. Backpack and shoes will cost the most. Don't skimp on shoes. I suggest well-made trail runners 1-1.5 sizes larger than you generally wear but there is a lot of talk on here about that so you can make up your own mind.
Clothes - you don't need anything fancy. Just layers from your own closet.
Walking sticks - again, you don't need anything fancy. Buy a nice stick in SJPP for under 10 euros.
Time: If I were walking the first time, I'd give myself at least 6 weeks.

I hope this helps. I'm sure lots of people will chime in.

In the end, remember, this is YOUR Camino and you can do it however you want!
There really aren't a lot of rules.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome. Well there is a lot to cover and plenty of advice will be forthcoming. You can get your Pilgrim's passport (Credential) at the Pilgrim's office in St Jean. OK transport. You don't say when you are planning to go. Flights with Ryanair from Stanstead leave midweek days at 14:05 in late May for example and may be around £45. Flybe Birmingham 30th May leaves 10:10 for £45 at present. Check their sites yourself. Bus airport to Bayonne Train Station and train there to St Jean cheapest option at that point. I will let others leap in here with greater detail about that as I have always shared a taxi. If it were me and I lived in Leeds I would go for Birmingham as you get longer in St Jean. Enjoy the planning.

Last edited:
You can get your Credencial from the http://www.csj.org.uk/ in London, UK, they also offer pilgrim preparation days.
I use skyscanner.net to find cheap flights.
On a very frugal budget you can walk the Camino for 20 Euro or less, staying in the cheapest albergue and always preparing your own food.
Hope that helps and Buen Camino! SY

Welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2015.

You have just received replies from some of the most "Camino Savvy" members of the Forum.
Take their advice...digest it...make a plan...load your pack...unload your pack...remove everything you think you "might" need...repack.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On a very frugal budget you can walk the Camino for 20 Euro or less, staying in the cheapest albergue and always preparing your own food. SY

Keeley, Welcome,
For clarification only, SY probably meant 20Euro .............PER DAY:)

Buen Camino

Any advice on transfer links from Leeds, England to SJPDP, how to obtain a pilgrim passport and roughly how much everything is going to cost would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Hello Keeley,

I live just down the road in Morley. When I did the Camino in 2012, I went by National Express from Leeds bus station to Stansted airport. The total round trip return journey was about £35 -£40.

The journey was a midnight departure and it arrived at Stansted airport sometime around 9ish the next morning. One important point is that you have to change coaches at Golders Green bus station in London. This coach change will take you directly to the airport and the journey is included in with your original ticket price.

The beauty about the midnight coach trip (midweek) is that there are not many stops. There is not much traffic on the road so no stopping and starting and traffic jams. There wasn't too many people on the coach when I went, maybe two dozen. Most folk do not want to talk but want to get some kip (sleep). The driver dims the lights so you have chance to have 2-3 hours sleep before your first stop. You can also stow your pack in the coach hold.

I think it stops in Milton Keynes for about 20 minutes to change drivers. Here you can get off the coach, stretch your legs, use the toilet, have a cup of coffee and maybe purchase a sandwich. Then back to sleep for the rest of your journey! You will need a good fleece or equivalent to keep warm and also an inflatable neck pillow to give you that bit more comfort. Maybe one of those eye covers as well.

By the time you get off the coach at Golders Green you will be ready for a large English fry-up!

Keeley, please check all of the above information as it was nearly 3 years ago and with me being an old duffer my memories are now starting to be all over the place.

I think that I spent 1300 Euros in six weeks when I was there, not counting my air flights and coach prices. You can do it cheaper and please bear in mind that the exchange rate for Euros to the £ are now much more favourable.

If you are a West Yorkshire lass, you will have not have many problems with the climate or terrain. You will have a great time and meet some terrific people.

Best regards and good luck.
Charlie.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You will find everything you need to know on this forum, plus more. Maybe start with the FAQS section.

Hi Keeley - not too sure about aeroplanes - apart from being madly polluting, they sometimes fall out of the sky you know ;) - and they never seem to land where you want to be - no airports near St Jean, for instance.
but! you can take the train all the way to St Jean from Leeds - take a visit to the man in seat 61 - loads of European train info on there, makes it easy peasy - http://www.seat61.com/ considering how far it is it isn't that expensive, but, cheaper - and slower and bumpier - is to go by coach ... you may not get to St Jean but you could do the last miles by the little train that chugs in from the west coast, very pleasant - coaches here - http://www.eurolines.co.uk/.
Getting back - well you could walk or bus back until you caught up with wherever the international coach stops, or if you wanted to fly I understand that there are very cheap flights from Santiago to the uk

Searching posts you will read all sorts of high figures for the daily cost of being on Camino but these are from people who live expensive lifestyles at home and import that lifestyle with them - SYates is absolutely right - you can do it really cheap, even much cheaper than 20 euros. The trick is - don't keep stopping at bars for coffee, etc - each time a few euros and it makes a day really expensive .. also, don't eat out in restaurants - to me the one of the great joys of being on Camino is the self-reliance, carrying what you need with you - no one 'needs' coffee or coke, or cake, or pilgrim meals .... if you carry staples such as sausage, cheese, bread you have your lunch with you ... if you carry a small pack of wholewheat pasta or lentils all you have to do is to boil it in the refugio kitchen, slice in some cheese, olive oil, and pepper, maybe a chopped tomato - and you have a great meal - and what is wrong with eating that, or similar, every day for a few weeks? You will pass shops where you can buy tomatoes, fruit, delightful cheap treats to add interest to your meals, and if you carry some olive oil, sea-salt, and pepper - well - perfect! And if you stay at a refugio that doesn't have a kitchen, well, you have your staples and if you bought a bottle of wine that day in a shop for a couple of euros rather than in a bar for twelve - you will have a pleasant night and enough wine to share. With such real savings you will be able to join in with the occasional refugio pilgrim 'co-op' meals, where everyone puts in a few euros and folk go off and return laden with food and wine and cook something fantastic!
If you didn't mind carrying more weight you could take the fab Trangia Swedish army stove and mess kit - you can buy denatured alcohol in any chemist if you can't find methylated spirit - you can get a used one for under £10!! really cheap!! cheapest stove and kit in the world I think, though you would have to buy the little pan holders for £1.99 to tilt to pour - see the kit here - http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=2322
then you will really be independent - and you can make your own tea or coffee wherever and whenever you want to stop - bliss!

So, as far as I am concerned, don't be stopped by having a small budget - I think being poor on Camino is a wonderful thing ... if you are called to go - you must go!

p.s. I met a young French woman on Camino some years ago. She was broke, broke in the sense of not having any money at all. She had made her own 'Camino clothes' which included a really cute green felt poncho - believe it or not she carried a piano accordian (they are heavy!) and busked all the way down, gave her enough for food and refugios .... she was having an absolutely wonderful Camino.

Buen Camino Keeley

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back