• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Existential experience or just a hike ?

kiwiDavid

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012 - SJPP-Finisterre
Heading out to Brisbane airport in a few hours for Madrid and the start of my Camino at SJPP.Just wanted to say thank you to the Forum for sharing all the good stuff(you were right mspath - you gotta start slow - even with the training).Reading about everyone's thoughts and experiences has made me both expect nothing and at the same time expect everything - i hope i'm in the right place.Now there only remains to "recorrer el camino".Kia Kaha - kiwiDavid

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Buen Camino - have a great time and post back your experiences. Also safe journey to the start!

Kelly

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Trust in the arrows. The Camino will provide.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
kiwiDavid said:
Reading about everyone's thoughts and experiences has made me both expect nothing and at the same time expect everything - i hope i'm in the right place.
Hi David, Just feeling the call and deciding to go with it puts you in the right place. I would rephrase your words slightly - Expect nothing and at the same time be open to everything.
Buen Camino,
Julie

Even though I'm a slow pilgrim - almost a non-pilgrim, preferring to walk in the cool season and stay in private accommodation - something still worked for me. Over two trips, I went from Le Puy to Fisterra, and even walked to Tui and back from Santiago, but it was a very slack and slow affair. If I'd been refused a compostela, I would have understood perfectly and would not have cared much (though I think the pilgrim office is a wonderful institution).

Returning to Oz and the bush, I found that I was indeed making changes, uncluttering, accepting and doing a lot of those typically post-camino things. I also found that I wasn't forcing or rushing the changes - even better!

The most helpful approach for me has been to just do the walking, and not put myself in charge of any results or effects. Might seem silly, but it's better and easier to leave it to Saint James. Whether or not he existed, whether or not his remains are in Santiago, I try to leave it to Big Jim. My rational mind helps me fitfully with things like shoelaces and crossing roads, but it's never been enough. Not nearly enough.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
kiwiDavid said:
Heading out to Brisbane airport in a few hours for Madrid and the start of my Camino at SJPP.Just wanted to say thank you to the Forum for sharing all the good stuff(you were right mspath - you gotta start slow - even with the training).Reading about everyone's thoughts and experiences has made me both expect nothing and at the same time expect everything - i hope i'm in the right place.Now there only remains to "recorrer el camino".Kia Kaha - kiwiDavid

Buen Camino, David...following shortly behind you.
Bozzie

Every time I walk the Chemin, I receive a different "homework assignment" to work on. Here's wishing you success in yours!

In Villafranca now.Think i have an answer.
It is what it is.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Someone told me at the pilgrim meal in Roncesvalles on the first night out "you don't do the Camino, the Camino does you".
It made sence after a while.
Enjoy.

Hey Dave
Well it is what it is once you avoid the asparagus flan, you`re flying you must be finished or heading to Finistere at this stage. You can fill this into the Brierly Bible, Negreira - albergue San Jose, v good, Olveiroa -Albergue O Horreo, v good, after that Finistere has lots to offer, have a great trip.
Gav

Go ahead make my tae!!

Advice 2 all - experience the asparagus flan - you'll never think of the camino in the same way again.Walked to Finisterre mate - thought of you walking through there to - had a great time.Better way to finish up than Santiago.Slauncher waa - dave

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back