• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Exos 46 Pack and water access...

Walkergirl

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2016
Hello! I am considering the Osprey Exos 46 pack, and I wondered about the small opening for the water bladder tube as well as having to open the pack every time I wanted to refill the bag. Is this a total pain, or perhaps you don't use the provided tube exit point and just run it out of the pack lid? How about opening the pack in the rain to refill the bag? I haven't heard any complaints about this, but it does seem much more cumbersome than some of the other packs that are a bit heavier. I know, its a tradeoff...I'd still like to hear about what it's like to use in the field!

Many thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Be brave, try something even smaller

As for water, I'm pretty old-fashioned in having small 0.6L bottles either side of my pack with up to 2 x 1.5L bottles inside my pack - pausing for a couple of minutes to open my water bottle and some chocolate allows me to think about how my feet are behaving and, if necessary, do something about it

It might be me but apart from all the to-do with filling the bladder from bottles I felt that with a bladder of continuous water I tended to drink more than I do with bottle stops at relatively fixed intervals (say every 20-30 mins)

I can't speak of the Exos, but I always use the hole on both my Atmoses. When I need to refill my bladder, I pull the bladder out of the pack, leaving the tube where it is, and fill it like that.

That said, I'm going to see whether I can fix an easier solution, for example a funnel.

And I also carry the last 0.5 liter of my water in a bottle, so that I never find myself unexpectedly dry. The Atmos AG 50 has forward-oriented openings on the side pockets to make it easy to get to your bottle -- maybe the Exos does too?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello! I am considering the Osprey Exos 46 pack, and I wondered about the small opening for the water bladder tube as well as having to open the pack every time I wanted to refill the bag. Is this a total pain, or perhaps you don't use the provided tube exit point and just run it out of the pack lid? How about opening the pack in the rain to refill the bag? I haven't heard any complaints about this, but it does seem much more cumbersome than some of the other packs that are a bit heavier. I know, its a tradeoff...I'd still like to hear about what it's like to use in the field!

Many thanks.
In 2012 carried a Osprey aether 60ltr using a platypus fitted inside my bag but had problems with the tube set up trying to clean it,this time I'm going to get Bcb canteen water bottles easier to clean with one bottle fitted to the rucksack belt and one in the bag and use denture cleaning tablets to clean bottles when needed. Buen Camino.

The Osprey water bladder hose disconnects between the bladder and the mouthpiece, so you don't need to remove the hose through the exit point.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can see why you might be concerned, but I think it is more important if the bag you carry fits comfortably on your back. The Exos has a trampoline style harness which looks like a great idea, but didn't fit me. I opted for the Kestrel 38 instead (slightly heavier) and it is a wonderfully comfortable bag for MY back - has served me well over 3 years of Caminos.

IF the Exos is the right fit for YOU then you can work around the internal hydration sleeve. It is a bit more of a pain, but even an external sleeve as in the Kestrel and Talon (also a wonderfully light and comfortable pack) is a bit of a fiddle to access once you have packed your bag, because the contents from inside the bag will push against it. I empty my pack in the albergue, pull out the hydration bladder (mine is a Source Widepac - wonderful piece of kit) and fill it with enough water for the next day. I carry a spare disposable bottle in an external pocket for when the bladder runs dry. On the rare occasion when I used up all my water during the day I was able to half pull the top of the water bladder out of the external sleeve and fill it under a tap or with another bottle. With the Exos that may be slightly more difficult but not such a big problem I think, if you have a bladder with a wide opening at the top which you can fill from a bottle. The Source bags have easily detachable tubing which can just push through any narrow opening and attach to the bag inside the pack. Other bladders may have a similar design.

I hope this helps - please ask me to clarify if I've been a bit long-winded and confusing.

I used the exos 48 and Source bladder on the Portuguese last May. I found the combination perfect. I would fill with 1.5 lts the evening before and also carry an empty half litre . If I needed to top up on route I would use the spare bottle to fill up. Only needed to do this on a couple of occasions. Sometimes I just used the spare bottle if I was close to our overnight stop. Its very easy to pull the bladder and tube out at the end of the day and give it all a swill out. Just be very careful of the mouthpiece when putting your pack down, there is a little net on the shoulder straps so just slip it in there and everything is ok. On a couple of occasions I put the bladder in the albergue overnight and had iced water for the day , a luxury in the heat! just allow plenty of room for expansion.
Buen Camino

The pack I used last time was my Mammut and it also had an internal bladder pocket. Figured out by the second day it was a pain in the butt to refill my platypus bag and fit it back in. Spent the rest of my trip just laying the platypus under the pack lid. This trip I'm going with store bought water bottles (one with SmarTube) hooked to my pack shoulder straps. We'll see how long I can stand that! (I'll test it out before my trip)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Osprey Exos 46 is a good sized rucksack and you should be pleased with it. Osprey makes fine products and has a killer, ironclad warranty.

However, and as others have already stated, the water bladder is likely more of a hassle for you. I bought a 2-liter water bladder with my Osprey Kestrel 48 liter rucksack for my first Camino in 2013. I only used it for a few days before it became too much of a hassle for me. I found it inconvenient to keep filled, arranged in the rucksack, cleaned and available. Plus, it added unnecessarily to the weight of my rucksack. I ended up removing it and mailing it, and other stuff, down the road to Ivar at Santiago.

Also, I learned early on that if you could move your water carry "system" to the front of your harness, the resulting weight redistribution helped balance your weight load and to reduce strain on your back. Remember, one liter equals one kilogram.

As a result, my default water carry system is 4-half liter bottles with Nite-Ize Clip-n-Go stainless steel clips. I use silicone plumbing 'O-rings" from my local DIY store to very securely fasten the clips to the larger-necked European bottles I buy on arrival in Europe. "Vittel" water bottles are my personal favorite as they last the full month I am usually walking. I recycle them when I reach Santiago.

Everyone is different in this regard. So, you need to experiment with various solutions.

I hope this helps.

Be brave, try something even smaller

As for water, I'm pretty old-fashioned in having small 0.6L bottles either side of my pack with up to 2 x 1.5L bottles inside my pack - pausing for a couple of minutes to open my water bottle and some chocolate allows me to think about how my feet are behaving and, if necessary, do something about it

It might be me but apart from all the to-do with filling the bladder from bottles I felt that with a bladder of continuous water I tended to drink more than I do with bottle stops at relatively fixed intervals (say every 20-30 mins)
Thank you for the reply. I'd love to go smaller, but there is no way I can do it right off the bat...I'm normally a 20 lb kinda girl for a week away, so I think I'm doing well, and I may shed as I go, but I don't want it named in, I'd rather have some room than packed to the gills. If it were summer, maybe...I like your drinking/feet routine, it's a good opportunity to take stock.

In 2012 carried a Osprey aether 60ltr using a platypus fitted inside my bag but had problems with the tube set up trying to clean it,this time I'm going to get Bcb canteen water bottles easier to clean with one bottle fitted to the rucksack belt and one in the bag and use denture cleaning tablets to clean bottles when needed. Buen Camino.
Were you missing the long wire brush for cleaning the tubing? Mine only weighs 1.5 oz, so I think I'll bring it. I like the denture cleaning tablet idea. Will you carry them with you? Perhaps the shops along the Camino have small packages of things available for us pilgrims for only a few uses in order to eliminate the weight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm starting my first Camino Francés on 24-25 March from SJPDP. I do quite a bit of hill walking and have a 2L hydration bladder which works fine for this purpose. However I think the Camino is quite different to what I'm used to. When hill walking the weight of my backpack is not critical so I can afford to fill the bladder. However every litre is an extra kilogram of weight and on the Camino, weight is critical. The other problem is that, on a long walk, you can't easily see how much water you have left in the bladder and there is a risk of running out if you don't check regularly. For the Camino I intend to take just 2 x 1/2 litre bottles. I am confident, from what I have heard on here that there is enough availability to top these up as necessary. If this proves not to be the case, I'll pick up a 1 litre bottle along the way. This will avoid having to remove my backpack every time I want to top up or want to check water level. I have ordered a cheap carabiner water bottle holder off Amazon for £2 so I can attach a bottle to my belt or front of my backpack for convenience. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E4APHGO/?tag=casaivar-21

My backpack is a Berghaus Explorer 40L. I'm very pleased with i It has all I need for the Caminio. The back length adjustment is particularly good as you can adjust the back length to match your exact needs: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TF9FDAE/?tag=casaivar-21

I hope this helps somebody.

Jim

I can see why you might be concerned, but I think it is more important if the bag you carry fits comfortably on your back. The Exos has a trampoline style harness which looks like a great idea, but didn't fit me. I opted for the Kestrel 38 instead (slightly heavier) and it is a wonderfully comfortable bag for MY back - has served me well over 3 years of Caminos.

IF the Exos is the right fit for YOU then you can work around the internal hydration sleeve. It is a bit more of a pain, but even an external sleeve as in the Kestrel and Talon (also a wonderfully light and comfortable pack) is a bit of a fiddle to access once you have packed your bag, because the contents from inside the bag will push against it. I empty my pack in the albergue, pull out the hydration bladder (mine is a Source Widepac - wonderful piece of kit) and fill it with enough water for the next day. I carry a spare disposable bottle in an external pocket for when the bladder runs dry. On the rare occasion when I used up all my water during the day I was able to half pull the top of the water bladder out of the external sleeve and fill it under a tap or with another bottle. With the Exos that may be slightly more difficult but not such a big problem I think, if you have a bladder with a wide opening at the top which you can fill from a bottle. The Source bags have easily detachable tubing which can just push through any narrow opening and attach to the bag inside the pack. Other bladders may have a similar design.

I hope this helps - please ask me to clarify if I've been a bit long-winded and confusing.
I'm curious to know where the trampoline didn't fit your back...did it dig in at the bottom on the sides? I'm still trying to decide between the Exos and the Kyte...neither of which is 100% prefect, but both are the best by far of what I have tried on. I have learned from this forum that I need to carry another bottle, and so I think I would just fill this one if I needed more water on the odd day. Thx!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I used the exos 48 and Source bladder on the Portuguese last May. I found the combination perfect. I would fill with 1.5 lts the evening before and also carry an empty half litre . If I needed to top up on route I would use the spare bottle to fill up. Only needed to do this on a couple of occasions. Sometimes I just used the spare bottle if I was close to our overnight stop. Its very easy to pull the bladder and tube out at the end of the day and give it all a swill out. Just be very careful of the mouthpiece when putting your pack down, there is a little net on the shoulder straps so just slip it in there and everything is ok. On a couple of occasions I put the bladder in the albergue overnight and had iced water for the day , a luxury in the heat! just allow plenty of room for expansion.
Buen Camino
I am hearing a lot of good things about the Source bag!

The pack I used last time was my Mammut and it also had an internal bladder pocket. Figured out by the second day it was a pain in the butt to refill my platypus bag and fit it back in. Spent the rest of my trip just laying the platypus under the pack lid. This trip I'm going with store bought water bottles (one with SmarTube) hooked to my pack shoulder straps. We'll see how long I can stand that! (I'll test it out before my trip)
Thx. I'm going to try and fill it once a day only and carry a reserve half litre bottle, so hopefully I won't have to access it by day.

The Osprey Exos 46 is a good sized rucksack and you should be pleased with it. Osprey makes fine products and has a killer, ironclad warranty.

However, and as others have already stated, the water bladder is likely more of a hassle for you. I bought a 2-liter water bladder with my Osprey Kestrel 48 liter rucksack for my first Camino in 2013. I only used it for a few days before it became too much of a hassle for me. I found it inconvenient to keep filled, arranged in the rucksack, cleaned and available. Plus, it added unnecessarily to the weight of my rucksack. I ended up removing it and mailing it, and other stuff, down the road to Ivar at Santiago.

Also, I learned early on that if you could move your water carry "system" to the front of your harness, the resulting weight redistribution helped balance your weight load and to reduce strain on your back. Remember, one liter equals one kilogram.

As a result, my default water carry system is 4-half liter bottles with Nite-Ize Clip-n-Go stainless steel clips. I use silicone plumbing 'O-rings" from my local DIY store to very securely fasten the clips to the larger-necked European bottles I buy on arrival in Europe. "Vittel" water bottles are my personal favorite as they last the full month I am usually walking. I recycle them when I reach Santiago.

Everyone is different in this regard. So, you need to experiment with various solutions.

I hope this helps.
I can't seem to find the product you are suggesting, but I get the idea and it's a good one. Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm starting my first Camino Francés on 24-25 March from SJPDP. I do quite a bit of hill walking and have a 2L hydration bladder which works fine for this purpose. However I think the Camino is quite different to what I'm used to. When hill walking the weight of my backpack is not critical so I can afford to fill the bladder. However every litre is an extra kilogram of weight and on the Camino, weight is critical. The other problem is that, on a long walk, you can't easily see how much water you have left in the bladder and there is a risk of running out if you don't check regularly. For the Camino I intend to take just 2 x 1/2 litre bottles. I am confident, from what I have heard on here that there is enough availability to top these up as necessary. If this proves not to be the case, I'll pick up a 1 litre bottle along the way. This will avoid having to remove my backpack every time I want to top up or want to check water level. I have ordered a cheap carabiner water bottle holder off Amazon for £2 so I can attach a bottle to my belt or front of my backpack for convenience. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E4APHGO/?tag=casaivar-21

My backpack is a Berghaus Explorer 40L. I'm very pleased with i It has all I need for the Caminio. The back length adjustment is particularly good as you can adjust the back length to match your exact needs: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TF9FDAE/?tag=casaivar-21

I hope this helps somebody.

Jim
It's amazing all the information on here...I feel like I've done parts of the trail already, minus the pain from reading all of these amazing posts! Thanks for your distillation of water source research.

I can't seem to find the product you are suggesting, but I get the idea and it's a good one. Thank you.

Which idea were you referring to? If it was the Niteize Drink-N-Go bottle clips, try the www.niteize.com website. Look under Accessories, All. To locate and purchase, I have always had good luck on Amazon.com. Some outdoor shops may carry them.

Also, I recently obtained a Korean variant of these bottle clips through Amazon.com They are shaped differently. I will try them this April when I walk from Madrid.

I recommend searching Amazon, or just running a Bing or Google search for "stainless steel water bottle clip."

I hope this helps.

I am hearing a lot of good things about the Source bag!
I like the Source as you just slide the clip off the top and fill easily also I can just get my hand in to clean it and I have big hands! Other makes with side opening are difficult to fill and clean.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm curious to know where the trampoline didn't fit your back...did it dig in at the bottom on the sides? I'm still trying to decide between the Exos and the Kyte...neither of which is 100% prefect, but both are the best by far of what I have tried on. I have learned from this forum that I need to carry another bottle, and so I think I would just fill this one if I needed more water on the odd day. Thx!

I can't remember to be honest. It was more than 2 years ago. I was disappointed because the Exos has so many advantages. I like the Kestrel because it sits closer to my back and the length of the harness is adjustable. It just fits the shape of my back. At the time I spent a lot of time walking around the shop with each pack loaded with bean bags and the Kestrel won. I like the slightly more sturdy construction but you add weight. Don't forget the Talon series. They are also very lightweight and popular on the Camino. The other bag I liked the look of was the Deuter brand, but here in the South of England there were not many to try on.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.