• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Falcon269

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Leaving Obanos, at the stairs go straight ahead on the path, not down the stairs. There are no yellow arrows or signs. At the bottom of the first flight, turn right and you will rejoin the path after 400 meters of highway walking, if you decide to use the stairs.

Albergue Jakue opens next weekend. Until then, only the municipal is open in Puenta La Reina.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good news falcon you are on the Way again!

Can we get some weather reports, too?

buen camino!
bon chemin!
annie

falcon269 said:
Leaving Obanos, at the stairs go straight ahead on the path, not down the stairs. There are no yellow arrows or signs. At the bottom of the first flight, turn right and you will rejoin the path after 400 meters of highway walking, if you decide to use the stairs.

Makes a change from second to the right and straight on until morning!

Buen Camino Falcon!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry, no weather reports; I might jinx it. Assume it is perfect and absolutely gorgeous until I say otherwise.

Obanos albergue not open yet (both). Villamayor de Monjardin still closed (one may be permanently out of commission). Torres del Rio opened today, and a car is driving the Camino handing out brochures. Municipal albergue in Estella still closed, but the parochial and the youth hoste at the town exit near Ayegui is open.

The mud slog out of Villamayor is now an improved path built between railroad ties through the vineyards. Bicycles are doing their best to destroy it with power slides, but I assume it is local hot dogs, not pilgrims with a destination in mind. It makes me miss watching bicycles stall in the mud, but the pedestrian walk is much nicer. Municipal albergue in Los Arcos has not opened, but a couple are still open, including ¨de Austria¨, where I am typing this.

One pilgrim from Denmark, one from Sweden, one from Switzerland, one from Germany, two from Japan, and one from Ireland, so far. Nothing is busy, but a lot of places are closed.

Hi, falcon,

Enjoying your updates. I love reading reports from "out of season" peregrinos, it reminds me that there is still a way to avoid the summer's moving sidewalk, as Reb or someone once called it.

Wishing you the very best camino, and looking forward to reading about your journey. Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 3G Vodafone SIM chip is great.

The mud and ravines into and out of Torres del Rio have been replaced with improved path and paving. The Brierley Alert is no longer necessary.

The Pata de Oca albergue in Torres del Rio is complete and magnificant. Albergue is 5 E. Double room 50 E. It replaces Via Lactea. The old royal building still has original tiles, stairs, and gilded sconces. You can live like a Borgia!

started on 2nd March, left Camino on the 12th. Burgos to León, Rabanal to Ponferrada.

weather between Burgos and León variable. it is very sunny but if the wind is blowing then there is a significant wind chill factor.

from Rabanal to Ponferrada is was just plain hot.

none of the albergues in Beriacanos were open nor in Ledigos, though I met a couple who did find somewhere there the night before.

found a bed bug in El Burgo Ranero - just the one. It hadn't bitten me so I am not sure where it came from.

The new municipal albergue in Sahagun was disappointing for a such a large town. It is not purpose built being in a converted house. Not enough toilets or showers IMHO. Hosptalerio was friendly and a bit distant at the same time, but ok.

I met BusyBee. Her daughter has incredible energy. As everyone else is exhausted drinking a cafe con leche, she is bouncing through the street! Both are having a great time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
JohnnieWalker said:
Well well - two prominent forum members on the same route - feel free to leave money behind the bar for the rest of us at strategic points. All you have to do is let us know where. :)

I forgot to thank you for the cases of Johnnie Walker left at strategic points on the Ingles

Andy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Munoz albergue opens only by telephone request after 1430. No one stayed. The lone pilgrim in Viana I went to the three-star hotel for a 60 E single. I got a fantastic breakfast and a bed bug for my siesta. It proves they are anywhere any time. I slept in treated sleep sack and had no bug problem at night. The hotel cafeteria has not opened yet for the season.

Ventosa: The albergue has a well-stocked tienda, which is necessary since the bar serves only bocadillos and closes at 5 pm. You should plan to cook here.

Ventosa opened three weeks ago, so is getting close to the "open all year" which it advertises.

Azofra muni albergue still closed, but parrochial is open; bars too.

New axiom: the tiredness of feet is inversely proportional to the distance of a destination that is in sight.

Santo Domingo has one open albergue. About 30 pilgrims last night. Heed Brierley going into Granon. There is no need to go down to the highway; just continue straight when the sign says to go right.

The wind chill was below freezing today, so pilgrims with knit caps, buffs, and gloves were glad they had them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
keep on posting - I am enjoying your postings, too. I will be there soon.
Regards,
annie

I visited the Parque at Atapuerca, and it was very interesting. The bus for the actual dig leaves at 1100 from the museum in Burgos, so that will be on my next trip.

There has been a little bit of rain, granular snow, and snow on Tue. and Wed., but today is good walking weather. Pilgrims are few; about a dozen in Hornillos last night. The albergue and bar are open there but not the hostal with its thermal baths. The pot belly stove was quite nice. The precipitation has only been enough to moisten the path.

Hontanas still suddenly appears. There is a new pededtrian path in, which will become a raging river if they get a big rainstorm. They may not have thought through this latest jobs project. It rarely works out to give water a straight shot at main street!

BusyBee and her daughter are having a great time. The stuffed dog in the daughter's pack draws a lot of smiles.

The fields are ready to sprout, but only a few trees have bids.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
falcon269 said:
Hontanas still suddenly appears. There is a new pededtrian path in, which will become a raging river if they get a big rainstorm. They may not have thought through this latest jobs project.
The same thought came up in me last year. Certain parts of the Camino could do with better engineers?!
Enjoy your walk. I look forward to learning about your valued observations in the coming days.
Ultreya!

Having been in Carrion a few times, I decided on the hostal in front of the church in Villalcazar de Sirga. The bar downstairs is jammed with locals for afternoon food. A Korean group of three is stopping in the albergue. This first week of spring is bringing sun without baking the pilgrims in the heat. The group in Boadilla last night was about 12. Eduardo is still the perfect hospitalero, and the dinner meal excellent. The albergue at the entrance to Boadilla, Putzu, is open. The hospitalero was recruiting pilgrims, but he creeped out the women. It may have become, or always has been, a respectable place, but there is just something off-putting about it. En El Camino still tops my list of albergues.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey Falcon! I do so hope that both you and Methodist Pilgrim will find time to come and visit The Little Fox House! But even if you don't, please BOTH of you, call me and I will do my very best to meet you in Santiago. When are your respective ETA's?
Buen Camino for sure...
Tracy
See
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot. ... house.html
for contact details

Peaceable Kingdom is aptly named. I had a great stay with Reb and Paddy and their animals; BusyBee and daughter stayed, too.

Viatoris in Sahagun opened yesterday. Bercianos opens next week. Municipal albergue and two hostals are open El Burgo Ranero. I am guessing that almost everything will be open by next week. More when I have a keyboard.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
HUELGA!!!

Demonstrators have put "Closed for Strike" signs on the shops on the street up to the Leon cathedral. Of course, they are all open.

The bridge crossing 5 km after Mansilla da las Mulas is still dangerous.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
La Virgen del Camino albergue closed, but their sign says open. They are the best albergue on the Camino, but do not post accurate information. Call ahead.

All three albergues in Villar de Mazarife are open.

There were thirty pilgrims in San Javier in Astorga Saturday night. Yesterday, 18 bicycles passed me. Today 27 bicycles passed me.

Murias de Rechivaldo is open.

Two albergues in Santa Catalina de Somoze are open. I stayed in the second one on the left. The hospitalero, drunk for most of Sunday evening, caters to locals, and the service to pilgrims was less than indifferent. Two primero choices and three secundo choices, one of which ran out. He grabbed the pot of lentejas before everyone was done eating them. When postres orders were too slow, he simply left the table. With a blond Costa Rican and Japanese woman who has lived in Barcelona for six years at the table, both speaking fluent Spanish, he was called to task. He thought he had a bunch of non-Spanish speakers, I suppose.

The albergue entering town, on the right rather than the left as Brierley describes it, Caminante has better food and service. The people running it seem to care. I had breakfast there because no one showed up to open the place on the left (name escapes me). A late rising pilgrim passed me later and said the woman showed at 8 am, and apologized; she did not hear her alarm...

El Ganso albergue open. Cowboy bar closed for morning coffee, but open evenings for food.

All Rabanal albergues seemed to be open.

Three albergues open in Foncebadon. The new one to the right of the parrochial is still closed. The parrochial opens after 1500.

Crowds have grown after Astorga, but there is plenty of space.

Thanks for the chocolate Falcon :) a lovely surprise and much appreciated. You are very thoughtful :D Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You are very welcome. Tell Imogen that a night in the Hotel Gaudi does not disqualify her for a Compostela!!! Chocolate is delicious, nutritious, and lightweight, so a nearly perfect pilgrim food.

Snow is forecast for O Cebreiro today. There was a dusting yesterday, so today probably will be the same. The light rain is more irritating than useful. The rivers are still down to their rocky beds.

Everything seems to be open, so all the future pilgrims, buen Camino!!

I got a contour line by contour line description of the Dragante route out of Villafranca from AbbeyDore, who can now testify to the authenticity of my garrulous braggadocio. I will leave him to give the first hand description of the path, but I am committed to never doing it!

Rain and snow yesterday. O Cebreiro and beyond today. Vegetarian food is served in the albergue in Herrerias.

falcon269 said:
I got a contour line by contour line description of the Dragante route out of Villafranca from AbbeyDore, who can now testify to the authenticity of my garrulous braggadocio. I will leave him to give the first hand description of the path, but I am committed to never doing it!

Rain and snow yesterday. O Cebreiro and beyond today. Vegetarian food is served in the albergue in Herrerias.

Yes have bumped into Falcon, yes he´s larger than life, & now he´s gone away with his ´mates´;
Dragonte is easy to find now, a man came out of his house while sheltering to give us a cafe con leche each. The route has changed a bit. We had two bits of white out, meet 3 Yanks who were lovely, took 8.5 hours, knackered! Yes beautiful. :D

Small student groups are a delight. Large student groups are a plague. A teen mob of 60 to 80 is moving from Sarria to Palas de Rei and on, and they fill the municipals, and all arrive at restaurants and stopping points at the same time.

I am just venting, of course, because the line for service at Gonzar was sixty persons long this morning! It would be considerate if the leaders assembled smaller herds...

The Botafumeiro has not been swinging. The scheduled days are few during the year. I asked at the tourist office if there was a place to find out if someone has paid for a swinging, and the woman laughed and said that the cathedral keeps it a secret. No one can find out. A large student group has been traveling parallel to me, so I had hoped that they would arrange for the Botafumeiro as some mass, but it did not happen on Friday or Saturday. Who knows for Sunday?

After dinner last night at Casa Manolo, I stuck my head into the cathedral to see if the Botafumeiro was hanging, or if the ¨pineapple¨ was still there. (If the pineapple is hanging, there will NOT be a swinging at the next mass.) The place was filled with well-dressed men and women, some of whom belonged to an order like de Molay, indicated by their white robes or patches on their coats or sashes. There were only two priests instead of the dozen or more that often appear in the summer. Many of the women had the mantilla headdress.

After a slightly abbreviated mass with communion, they swung the Botafumeiro.

Persistence sometimes pays! A handful of pilgrims, apparent by their attire, stumbled into the special mass as I had. Pilgrim and Spaniard alike were dazzled by the Botafumeiro.

Strange - the Botafumeiro has been used regularly over the last few weeks albeit not always at the Pilgrims' Mass.

The general rule is that if it is hanging there it will be used!

Bookings for the Botafumeiro are made at the Pilgrims Office but the cathedral ask that these bookings are not publicised as they stress that in their view people shouldn't just go to Mass to see the Botafumeiro.

Keep going to church to see if it is there Falcon - you never know! :D

Congratulations on arriving in Santiago.

John

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"The Botafumeiro has not been swinging"

We spent a bit of time in the Cathedral, I asked inside, one of the 'guards' & he was able to tell me 815 Sat night, & sun 1200, it was amazing with it's flames coming out @ the top of its 'flight'.

We got onto the roof sunday night in-between showers, that was really amazing, the roof being granite.......walked all over well worth doing........somehow it completed everything for me, especially when our guide who was lovely & very patient giving a 3 language explanation when it was only going to be a spanish tour. 9euro for pilgrims.

Thank you Tom for helping to make our Camino, we bumped into Don,Sunday afternoon, had a beer @ the armchair place down from the tourist office, before he finally left.....sorry we missed you in Santiago. Our wine evening @ Las Herrerías, will always be memorable.
Thank you
David & Fran

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back