• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Family Camino Guidelines

caligal92130

Time of past OR future Camino
Hey there, Camino friends,

I would love some feedback on our family guidelines below. In mid May, our 18 YO vegetarian daughter will go with my husband and I on Camino Frances. We're training at 10-12 miles/day now, planning to train up to 15 m/d. She's at 10 miles just now, wearing her trail runners and pack, hubby and I at 12 m/d now.

We have put together a few family guidelines to make certain we all have fun as much as possible and to anticipate potential problems. I would love some feedback on these - I've never done the Camino before.

We want to make this part cultural excursion, so we allowed for some extra days off (also for comfort). I might have made it into a teen camp with the lower daily mileage ;-)

Here are our Family Guidelines:

1.) Each day we'll walk about 12 miles only. ( unless we hit our groove and unanimously decide to increase to 15 miles/25 KM.)
2.) We'll all stay in the same Albergue. She's vegetarian, so she can cook if she wants, we can go out to dinner (we don't have to be vegetarians!). We're staying at vegetarian Albergues where possible.
3.) Each person will have 2 tickets - they are for a full day off from walking - to sleep in, tend to blisters, see town, whatever. So, everyone takes a day off if anyone else turns in a ticket that morning.
4.) You can also turn in half a ticket for a short day (6 miles) if you prefer. So, we sleep in if anyone turns in a half ticket the night before (go to hostel or hotel then), or we have a short day.
5.) We're all taking 4 planned days off: at Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, and Santiago.
6.) Each person will have enough $$$ for food, to send bpack ahead, or for a taxi if going gets too rough (e.g. could catch up to group by reaching a town with a taxi, and taking it to Albuquerque if you twisted an ankle).

What did I miss? I'm sharing our family guidelines in hopes of generating useful discussion prior to our Camino. Thanks in advance! Buen Camino!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow, fantastic, have fun! Are there three of you then? You might be over-planning it a bit, but probably better than under-planning it. Good to have a Plan B. I am vegetarian and have no issues on the camino. Have never stayed at a vegetarian albergue (that I know of). Buen camino!

Wow, as in wow! Thatā€™s some serious planning. Youā€™ll be fine. Iā€™ll not bother with comment about plans and first encountersā€¦. šŸ˜‰

Donā€™t plan on anyone cooking much in Albergues, most kitchens are closed ā€˜cos of COVID but no disaster. 10 years ago vegetarians in Spain would have been advised to move the meat to the side of their plate. Itā€™s different now.

Your daughter is 18? Sheā€™ll have a blast but Iā€™m sure sheā€™ll look after you too

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for your kind words. I'm so impressed with her interest and so proud of her, every time she says, "time to go out for a walk today". I just hope to keep up with her by the end. And yes, I remember about battle plans and how well they survive encounters with the enemy šŸ˜‰

Great idea šŸ‘, thanks for bringing this up. I imagine we will need spaces in our togetherness to each carve out our own true path.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A couple of weeks ago my 36 year old son mentioned that he would like to walk with me one day AND that he would like to bring his son (currently 7) along as well.

Nothing is yet definite and we haven't really discussed any details but I envision that if this does happen then there will be times when we all three walk together, times when he and his son will walk together and times when he walks alone and I walk with my grandson.

Wow, fantastic, have fun! Are there three of you then? You might be over-planning it a bit, but probably better than under-planning it. Good to have a Plan B. I am vegetarian and have no issues on the camino. Have never stayed at a vegetarian albergue (that I know of). Buen camino!
Thanks for feedback. So, it's clear that I'm in strategic planning? Over planning is an occupational hazard!

A couple of weeks ago my 36 year old son mentioned that he would like to walk with me one day AND that he would like to bring his son (currently 7) along as well.

Nothing is yet definite and we haven't really discussed any details but I envision that if this does happen then there will be times when we all three walk together, times when he and his son will walk together and times when he walks alone and I walk with my grandson.
That will be so wonderful, and it seems very organic that those interactions would unfold as you describe. I hope your grandson takes an interest in nature and walking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That will be so wonderful, and it seems very organic that those interactions would unfold as you describe. I hope your grandson takes an interest in nature and walking.
Yes, he loves being outside and doing things. He has been on a couple of hikes with the three of us and our local hiking group.

It is completely different with a younger child though and we will allow plenty of time and take our lead from him unless he gets too far ahead and then we will need to rein him in šŸ¤©

You should decide how you will stay in contact in case you decide to walk independently, or perhaps your daughter will meet other young people that she wants to walk with.
You can use free wifi in bars and cafes and use WhatsApp, or if you have T-mobile or Google Fi cell service you will be able to use your regular texting service.

This is helpful to consider - we have AT&T, and I haven't tried using it in Europe. I was going to use WhatsApp. That would work with wifi. Hmmm....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, he loves being outside and doing things. He has been on a couple of hikes with the three of us and our local hiking group.

It is completely different with a younger child though and we will allow plenty of time and take our lead from him unless he gets too far ahead and then we will need to rein him in šŸ¤©
That's when putting a few rocks in the backpack always works šŸ˜‚

We went with 12 mile stages anticipating 15-16 miles being too long. Very curious about what length of stages you ended up deciding upon?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Iā€™ve just deleted a long, and probably unhelpful draft reply as itā€™s not really for anyone else to judge how three adults choose to organise themselves, but still I feel youā€™re over-thinking the venture. Your ticket system seems fine until one runs out of tickets and still doesnā€™t want to do what the remaining ticket-holders do.

A fair proportion of peregrinos just head west each morning and take it as it comes. It generally works out.

More constructively: take two days ā€˜offā€™ in Santiago. Itā€™s where youā€™re going, it would be a shame to have to rush off.

I suspect youā€™ll be doing more than 12 miles per day before long. The CF at 12 miles per day with 4 scheduled rest days and the possibility of six (day off) tickets being exercised will result in an enviably leisurely vacation.

@caligal92130 Good for you for thinking ahead ... what a wonderful family adventure you have ahead of you. I can only offer this

As with all great adventures - and life generally - 'expect the unexpected'.
As my husband and fellow pilgrim says ... 'Plans are made to be changed'

Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We went with 12 mile stages anticipating 15-16 miles being too long. Very curious about what length of stages you ended up deciding upon?
Here in lies part of the dilemma when walking within a group. When walking alone the workable answer is similar to what @henrythedog has hinted at, you take the lead from your body, on the day. Towards the start that can mean walking 15 kilometers or less and as the body adjusts, walking anything between 20 and 30 plus kilometers in a day.

The issue with a group is that different bodies can feel different distances and different paces as being ideal. Things like blisters, strains, what you ate for dinner the night before or where females are in their cycle might affect each of you differently and so it creates less relationship stress if you have all discussed and agreed ways to deal with one or more of you wanting to walk more or less distance and at faster or slower paces.

When hiking with the local club, if there are enough people then we break into smaller groups with similar levels of fitness and effort profiles and there is an over riding rule that the group sticks together and walks at the pace of the slowest walker. This is a formal rule for safety while hiking in much rougher conditions than would be encountered on the Camino Frances. On the Camino Frances this rule would be bent to allow people to walk at their own preferred pace.

Last edited:
Iā€™ve just deleted a long, and probably unhelpful draft reply as itā€™s not really for anyone else to judge how three adults choose to organise themselves, but still I feel youā€™re over-thinking the venture. Your ticket system seems fine until one runs out of tickets and still doesnā€™t want to do what the remaining ticket-holders do.

A fair proportion of peregrinos just head west each morning and take it as it comes. It generally works out.

This is helpful to consider - we have AT&T, and I haven't tried using it in Europe. I was going to use WhatsApp. That would work with wifi. Hmmm....
Relying on wifi works until one of you is several kms to the next village. Maybe best that you get at least two Spanish sim cards - one for your daughter, and one for you and your husband.

You have lots of time before May to work out these details. I would look at switching to T-mobile or Google Fi permanently - you may find that it saves you money at home too. All of my immediate family members who live throughout the country use these services and are happy with them.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, and I appreciate your concern. I probably should have said much earlier that these guidelines were cooperatively invented by our family, the peregrinos who propose to use them, during some long training walks. We'd all read posts about challenges faced by others, and wanted to think about potential solutions to them.

Our daughter invented the ticket system, as she didn't want to slow us all down, but thought that she might have a few bad days. Then she thought to make it fair, and not have her feel weird about using tickets, we should all have them. We generally agreed, knowing that we don't have to use them, and could walk with our Camino Family, instead. We also read posts about a young lady having trouble keeping up with a walking tour group, who walked as far as she could each day, and then took a taxi. That was smart of her.

I don't know if we'll use these tricks, but we all simply wanted to know what we'd do for various situations and to gain consensus. I like that my family wanted to proactively overcome problems, even when they don't have all of the information. Our cheap insurance policy may seem like overkill to others, but it shows me they're engaged in the journey together already.

Given the way you have communicated to reach consensus already and obviously have a sense of othersā€™ needs, I have full faith that you will have a successful Camino! I wouldnā€™t be surprised if you ditch your ticket system and just talk to each other each day - that seems to be working so far.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here in lies part of the dilemma when walking within a group. When walking alone the workable answer is similar to what @henrythedog has hinted at, you take the lead from your body, on the day. Towards the start that can mean walking 15 kilometers or less and as the body adjusts, walking anything between 20 and 30 plus kilometers in a day.

The issue with a group is that different bodies can feel different distances and different paces as being ideal. Things like blisters, strains, what you ate for dinner the night before or where females are in their cycle might affect each of you differently and so it creates less relationship stress if you have all discussed and agreed ways to deal with one or more of you wanting to walk more or less distance and at faster or slower paces.

When hiking with the local club, if there are enough people then we break into smaller groups with similar levels of fitness and effort profiles and there is an over riding rule that the group sticks together and walks at the pace of the slowest walker. This is a formal rule for safety while hiking in much rougher conditions than would be encountered on the Camino Frances. On the Camino Frances this rule would be bent to allow people to walk at their own preferred pace.
So, as we're now successfully training at 12 miles/day with packs and elevation, and are leaving next May, we anticipate everyone will be able to walk our planned goal of 12 miles/day. However, I hear you about the different paces, and for this our solution is to make reservations in advance, and we all go to the same albergue. We may arrive there at different times, this is understood.

We'll have cell phones. I think this covers it, plus taxis for just not being able to go on, despite all of the training and opt out ticket precautions. If there's anything else I'm not thinking about, this is why I'm asking.

It sounds like your group wouldn't split up (so the slowest two of Dad, Mom, daughter stay together), but it's rougher conditions there. So in our system, our daughter might hike with a friend, and arrive "alone" after us, but we all meet together at albergue.

There's an entire excel spreadsheet of vegetarian Albergues at the happy cow, under resources I believe, to download. Buen vegetarian Camino!

So, as we're now successfully training at 12 miles/day with packs and elevation, and are leaving next May, we anticipate everyone will be able to walk our planned goal of 12 miles/day. However, I hear you about the different paces, and for this our solution is to make reservations in advance, and we all go to the same albergue. We may arrive there at different times, this is understood.

We'll have cell phones. I think this covers it, plus taxis for just not being able to go on, despite all of the training and opt out ticket precautions. If there's anything else I'm not thinking about, this is why I'm asking.

It sounds like your group wouldn't split up (so the slowest two of Dad, Mom, daughter stay together), but it's rougher conditions there. So in our system, our daughter might hike with a friend, and arrive "alone" after us, but we all meet together at albergue.
It sounds like you guys and gals have got it sorted. The biggest thing with a group is communication and you have definitely got that sorted. Bueno Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Given the way you have communicated to reach consensus already and obviously have a sense of othersā€™ needs, I have full faith that you will have a successful Camino! I wouldnā€™t be surprised if you ditch your ticket system and just talk to each other each day - that seems to be working so far.
Thanks so much for your kind words, I appreciate the support.

More constructively: take two days ā€˜offā€™ in Santiago. Itā€™s where youā€™re going, it would be a shame to have to rush off.

I suspect youā€™ll be doing more than 12 miles per day before long. The CF at 12 miles per day with 4 scheduled rest days and the possibility of six (day off) tickets being exercised will result in an enviably leisurely vacation.
That's our plan exactly. We've been rolling over vacation weeks for years now, and have 6 weeks off.

Thanks very much, I appreciate your kindness. .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow! I cannot imagine ever having reached agreement on such guidelines with my husband and three children!

My advice is first, to have liberal data plans on everybody's phones. Make sure that each of you has a guide or app for the route (I would personally include tracks for the route and alternate routes.) Set up a WhatsApp (or Facebook) group on your phones. Add the AlertCops app to each phone. Once you are confident that you can all stay in communication, and safe, then you can let go of each other a little.

Then, on the trip over, toss away your ticket system. You will already have achieved the benefit of a common understanding, from the earlier discussions. Further use of the ticket idea doesn't seem necessary. Then relax a little with expectations, and allow for flexibility - as a group and as individuals. Make sure that everyone carries their own essentials - snacks, water, blister care, rain gear, etc.

Also, don't overdo the training. If you can walk 15 miles/day several days a week, then you are probably well enough trained.

I think that you will find that you can walk farther each day on the Camino where your only job is to walk than you can at home when you have work, housework, and other chores.
The farthest I ever walked on a training walk was 15 miles on one occasion, but on the Camino I have no problem walking 15 - 20 miles daily.

The communication you've slready achieved in doing all this planning will stand you in good stead. And the planning is a good exercise in developing 'in case' strategems.

Now, having done that, not to forget that plans are plans and reality is another thing. You don't want to be prisoners of ideas you had half a world away. Relax, and trust you'll manage. The fear of the unknown is just fear.

Some more specific thoughts:
Get SIMs in Spain rather than depending on AT&T or wifi. Also everyone should download Alertcops or at the very least know to dial 112 in the unlikely event of an emergency.

I'm a vegetarian who's walked with friends who aren't. It's not generally a problem. We eat together at places where there are both options Spain sometimes seems like one of the least vegetarian countries on earth, but it's getting easier. If your daughter looks for vegetarian threads here on the Forum, she'll find tips and a wealth of info.

You'll discover challenges of walking together that if handled skillfully will only deepen your relationship as family. Everybody is an adult, with your daughter being 18, so it is a wonderful opportunity to enter the next phase of your relationships together. Sometimes walking apart and meeting up at an appointed place is the perfect thing to do.

Letting go and flexibility are essential - as is not needing to always be joined at the hip with the folks you're walking with. Some people like to leave at dawn with no breakfast, while others like to stay in bed til the last minute and slowly live into the day. Some people zoom up hills, others are turtles. Some feel ok about taxis, others don't. Finding creative ways to accommodate differences like this takes mutual respect, humor, patience, and creativity. Your ticket idea might work if you hold it lightly, using it only where preferences are involved. Bad blisters and illness are medical situations where stopping is not a choice. Simple common sense and compassion are needed there, not negotiation.

Hi Caligal

Walking with family really is special. Your ticket idea is great, especially because your daughter came up with it. I would suggest you keep the tickets, they will be a great security blanket knowing that they are there.

My husband and I walked our first camino with our boys, then aged 9 and 11. We made it clear that we would walk at their pace, have rest days when they needed them and catch taxis/trains if needed. It was really great having that option there. On some days they didnt want to walk and asked if we could get a taxi part way. 'Of course', we said. We rarely did, but it was helpful for them to know the option was there. Of course, they outwalked us most days!

Some days, your daughter will walk with you, other days she will walk with your husband, some days the three of you and other days she will walk to walk on her own. My bet is she will find a tribe and want to walk with others as well. Our second Camino the boys sometimes walked with others on some days. Our next Camino they will be 14 and 16 and will let them walk on their own with a whole bunch of guidelines. I met a father daughter duo (daughter was an adult) and they agreed to meet 'at the next town' which is what we will probably do. (not every day, but sometimes).

Cant help with distances as we walk in Winter and need to follow the Brierley Stages as there is generally nothing open 'mid stage'

I am a vegetarian who did not struggle. I was deficient in a few vitamins upon my return (which is unusual for me) each time so I take multi vitamins when walking.

Learn 'sin etun per favor' - without tuna please. It is standard to put tuna on salad!

From one planner to another:
- Plan it if that gives you security (I get it) but do be prepared to be flexible.
- have a good phone connection

Buen Camino

Great idea šŸ‘, thanks for bringing this up. I imagine we will need spaces in our togetherness to each carve out our own true path.
Yes this walking alone is something that is very normal on the Camino for so many people. Let it happen. Also there are lots of people that will be close to your daughterā€™s age and the natural inclination of being with peers and being able to unburden something with a peer may draw her away and even want to walk apart for a while. You can plan a lot I see that you have put thought and love into it. But you never know what can happen. Plan for the unknown and maybe just allow it to unfold. You may be surprised how much you throw away from your planning.
Your heart and mind is full of extra stuff just like a lot of backpacks. Sometimes you have to subtract a lot to get that addition you deserve. Buen Camino

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

That sounds great, Doug. I'm hoping to walk a shorter Camino with my grandson next year when he finishes school and will still be too young for a holiday job.

When I walked the Frances last year, I met up with a family with SIX children (aged 3 to 16), They were absolutely amazing. The 6 year old walked the entire Camino (1500km!!) and the little one had carries shared between mum and dad. It was a joy to watch and I never hear one cross word; they averaged 20 km/day including stops at play parks for the little ones.

I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time
Suen Camino

You, including your daughter sound very well trained and I suspect you will walk the average 20-24km that most people walk. I doubt you will want more than a couple of days off and a couple of short days. It is likely that you will make many friends and enjoy seeing them, but will loose everyone if you take that many days off, but of course itā€™s your Camino and your family should walk their own Camino.
The one thing I suggest you discuss is what you will do in case of injury, blisters or tendinitis where someone is unable to walk. Will they bus ahead and wait for the walkers, stay behind or will everyone stop until they can walk again. If someone cannot walk, it is generally very disappointing and emotional and not the best time to start the discussion on what to do.
You are lucky to be walking with your family and will have a wonderful Camino.
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wishing you the best on walking with your familyā€¦you will have a great time no matter what plans you ultimately decide upon. Two things are guaranteedā€¦having discussed things in advance will really help and twoā€¦your plans will change once you get walking!

I have often thought it would be great to walk with any combination of my 3 daughters but alasā€¦ Years ago had an opportunity to walk with my Dad (74 at the time) and brother on a trek in Nepal and the memories are priceless.

Hmmm šŸ¤” have to get going on convincing either my 6 or 3 year old granddaughters to walk with meā€¦64 + 15 = 79 years oldā€¦definitely possible!

[edit] After posting this we learned yesterday that a 3rd grandchild is joining us in 2022! Now I am certain that a family Camino is in my future however must start early this timeā€¦need Baby Camino movies to generate excitement!

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Hi Caligal

Walking with family really is special. Your ticket idea is great, especially because your daughter came up with it. I would suggest you keep the tickets, they will be a great security blanket knowing that they are there.

My husband and I walked our first camino with our boys, then aged 9 and 11. We made it clear that we would walk at their pace, have rest days when they needed them and catch taxis/trains if needed. It was really great having that option there. On some days they didnt want to walk and asked if we could get a taxi part way. 'Of course', we said. We rarely did, but it was helpful for them to know the option was there. Of course, they outwalked us most days!

Some days, your daughter will walk with you, other days she will walk with your husband, some days the three of you and other days she will walk to walk on her own. My bet is she will find a tribe and want to walk with others as well. Our second Camino the boys sometimes walked with others on some days. Our next Camino they will be 14 and 16 and will let them walk on their own with a whole bunch of guidelines. I met a father daughter duo (daughter was an adult) and they agreed to meet 'at the next town' which is what we will probably do. (not every day, but sometimes).

Cant help with distances as we walk in Winter and need to follow the Brierley Stages as there is generally nothing open 'mid stage'

I am a vegetarian who did not struggle. I was deficient in a few vitamins upon my return (which is unusual for me) each time so I take multi vitamins when walking.

Learn 'sin etun per favor' - without tuna please. It is standard to put tuna on salad!

From one planner to another:
- Plan it if that gives you security (I get it) but do be prepared to be flexible.
- have a good phone connection

Buen Camino
This is especially helpful as you clearly understand the family dynamics of wanting to stay together at the end of each day, and understanding preferences and physical stuff may/will come up where compassion and flexibility are needed. Thanks for responding, and congratulations on your family Caminos!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That sounds great, Doug. I'm hoping to walk a shorter Camino with my grandson next year when he finishes school and will still be too young for a holiday job.
I am always so jealous when parents or grandparents get to walk with their babies. No matter the age of those babies. Enjoy every step!!!!!

I love planning for something, then tossing the whole thing for something else. Also, the camino can be a sneaky little bastard; it likes to scramble plans, just saying. ;)

Think of your plan as a guideline, then adapt to reality accordingly!

You, including your daughter sound very well trained and I suspect you will walk the average 20-24km that most people walk. I doubt you will want more than a couple of days off and a couple of short days. It is likely that you will make many friends and enjoy seeing them, but will loose everyone if you take that many days off, but of course itā€™s your Camino and your family should walk their own Camino.
The one thing I suggest you discuss is what you will do in case of injury, blisters or tendinitis where someone is unable to walk. Will they bus ahead and wait for the walkers, stay behind or will everyone stop until they can walk again. If someone cannot walk, it is generally very disappointing and emotional and not the best time to start the discussion on what to do.
You are lucky to be walking with your family and will have a wonderful Camino.
Buen Camino
This is very helpful advice, thank you. We'll discuss the injury situation. If I were injured, I'd just limp to a bus and meet hubby and daughter at that evening's albergue, a cafe, etc. (I would weep quietly to myself on the bus about lost miles)

I would love some feedback on our family guidelines below. In mid May, our 18 YO vegetarian daughter will go with my husband and I on Camino Frances. We're training at 10-12 miles/day now, planning to train up to 15 m/d. She's at 10 miles just now, wearing her trail runners and pack, hubby and I at 12 m/d now.

We have put together a few family guidelines to make certain we all have fun as much as possible and to anticipate potential problems. I would love some feedback on these - I've never done the Camino before.

We want to make this part cultural excursion, so we allowed for some extra days off (also for comfort). I might have made it into a teen camp with the lower daily mileage ;-)

1.) Each day we'll walk about 12 miles only. ( unless we hit our groove and unanimously decide to increase to 15 miles/25 KM.)
2.) We'll all stay in the same Albergue. She's vegetarian, so she can cook if she wants, we can go out to dinner (we don't have to be vegetarians!). We're staying at vegetarian Albergues where possible.
3.) Each person will have 2 tickets - they are for a full day off from walking - to sleep in, tend to blisters, see town, whatever. So, everyone takes a day off if anyone else turns in a ticket that morning.
4.) You can also turn in half a ticket for a short day (6 miles) if you prefer. So, we sleep in if anyone turns in a half ticket the night before (go to hostel or hotel then), or we have a short day.
5.) We're all taking 4 planned days off: at Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, and Santiago.
6.) Each person will have enough $$$ for food, to send bpack ahead, or for a taxi if going gets too rough (e.g. could catch up to group by reaching a town with a taxi, and taking it to Albuquerque if you twisted an ankle).

What did I miss? I'm sharing our family guidelines in hopes of generating useful discussion prior to our Camino. Thanks in advance! Buen Camino!!!
This will be one holiday no one will forget, I would love for my family to do a Camino one year. Enjoy and Buen Camino to you all.

Y'all will also need to allow for the possibility of a couple of other things:
- somewhere along the trip, a hot adult man (or woman) in the 18-24 range will pop up. Will you allow your daughter the space to explore an attraction as an adult woman or will the urge be to parent a child?
- is everyone going for the same reason? If not, expectations could be drastically different.
- Your description of a "cultural trip" and days off where one would find museums and the like- who is deciding how those days will be spent and why decide those days so early in the game? It sounds as if some of your planning already consists of "and on Day 13 we will be in ____, stopping to see ____ and eating at ____ and staying at_____" and that could be a challenge. You're 7-8 months out. 8 months ago, we had no vaccines and no travel allowed. Plans and expectations change.

If you're the mom and have always been the vacation planner, the habit of planning may be ingrained. But this one's a bit different. There are no children to parent. There is no parent to be the head of household. There is no need to plan to this level of detail this far in advance.

People plan, God laughs. :)

The fact that your family members have reached consensus is a good sign. As far as Plan 'A' is concerned, just remember that if things go awry, Flexibility is not Failure. For me, if a plan blows up and I melt down as a result, then the Plan was driving me and not the other way around.

I think the only thought I have is staying at the same alburgue all the time. This could be a good opportunity to let your daughter make choices about staying at a different lodging a few times. This could help boost her confidence and add a bit of personalization to her Camino. You could always agree to meet up for breakfast or lunch the next day at a village plaza or a specific bar or cafe.

It will be a great experience for your family, and I think a lot of us look forward to hearing about your Camino. Buen Camino :)

Last edited:

In 2019 we took our 13 yr old grandson, and it was the best experience ever. We did offer it to a granddaughter as well, but as soon as she found out she had to walk she declined.

During the training with him we chatted about what to expect, and I built in a few days that we could take rest days if we wanted. We took only one, at Sarria we took a rest day so that we could visit Lugo (not on the Camino Frances). Nothing phased him really, he was at the age where they put their trust in you. It was much more difficult managing my husband as he isnt a 'make it up as you go' person like I am. Because of him, I prebooked a the first few days before we went.
One of the big bonuses on our part is that he chatted to us almost nonstop - and its so nice to have that communication. Normally at home he would be distracted by other things, family and friends (and there are 5 kids in the family), so we never got much uninterrupted time. That was such a wonderful aspect of the trip.

Last edited:

It's good to plan, but, but be flexible. Unless you book every 12 mile stage it will not work out.

We left Astorga this morning and originally planned 12 mile stages but due to accommodation availability it's varying between 7 and 17 miles each day.

Also, we are finding more places asking for cash than we did in 2019.

Consider walking at your own paces knowing the next meeting point.

Unless you all have the same pace there will be a bit of frustration from someone!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've been trying to get information on the AlertCops app and I noticed that it was mentioned on this thread. It appears that you can setup the app to have guardians and protected persons and the app will allow the locations of each to be shown. You can also setup a public guardian which is essentially the police and they will have a record of the last 10 positions for each user.

It's good to plan, but, but be flexible. Unless you book every 12 mile stage it will not work out.

We left Astorga this morning and originally planned 12 mile stages but due to accommodation availability it's varying between 7 and 17 miles each day.

Also, we are finding more places asking for cash than we did in 2019.

Consider walking at your own paces knowing the next meeting point.

Unless you all have the same pace there will be a bit of frustration from someone!
This is extremely helpful feedback right now, as we're planning our stages based upon guidebooks and the lists of the Albergues. From those, it mostly seems possible on Frances to get to Albergues every 7-10 KM or so (with some exceptions). Has the pandemic changed that? Maybe there is an updated list of open albergues in 2021? Sorry to be so clueless - planning for spring of 2022. Many thanks in advance for your perspective!

This is extremely helpful feedback right now, as we're planning our stages based upon guidebooks and the lists of the Albergues. From those, it mostly seems possible on Frances to get to Albergues every 7-10 KM or so (with some exceptions). Has the pandemic changed that? Maybe there is an updated list of open albergues in 2021? Sorry to be so clueless - planning for spring of 2022. Many thanks in advance for your perspective!
The best source of information for albergues that are open is Gronze.com. Use the Chrome browser for it to translate to English. https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.