• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Father and Son; Advise Needed

Liberp

Hi. My name is Liber, and I plan to Camino May-June. My son is finishing college and I believe this could be one of the last father-son bonding for a while.
But we'll have only 22 day on the Camino plus a few before and after for transit. Questions:
1. If we start in Burgos, do we miss something fundamental experience about the route from Roncevalles to Burgos? Should we start further East and by-pass Leon areas by bus?
2. What is the current situation with bed bugs?
3. Do we really need to take a sleeping bag or just a silk bag?
4. This is one of the greatest site I ever visit! Thanks for all advices and experiences.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
3 weeks camino

How wonderful that you and your 'baby' will walk the camino together!
If I only had 3 weeks I would start at Roncesvalles (or St Jean Pied de Port) and walk to Burgos.
Many pilgrims with limited time leave out the meseta, a ± 230km relatively flat stretch between Burgos and Astorga, which takes about a week to cross.
You can get a bus to Leon or Astorga and walk the remaining two weeks from there.
Wherever you start from, have a blessed journey.
Pilgrim hugs,
Sil

Meseta

Sil
Thanks for your reaction. It is great to have some veterans mentoring us.
I thought about doing something like you suggest. My son is graduating college with a history degree, and I would like to walk where he can take advantage. But I also believe that the hardship of the Meseta may be an experience we ought to endure.
I want the Camino to flow as it comes, without much planning regarding 'where." But the starting point and the segments are important. I thought about doing the Camino del Norte to avoid crowds. But I guess seen and meeting people is part of the experience. We are fluent in Spanish and hope to mix with all crowds.
Again, I appreciate your assistance.
Liberp

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't miss the bit between St Jean and Burgos!!!! It's possibly the nicest bit! If all else fails, do as Sillydoll suggested then go back and finish the job off!

Thanks You!

Thank you for your suggestion. I think we will from Roncevalles to Burgos and take a bus to another locality after Leon. And from there hit the Camino again.
Liberp

Hi Liber.

1. If we start in Burgos, do we miss something fundamental experience about the route from Roncevalles to Burgos?

Depends on how much time you have. There's so much you can do at one time.

Should we start further East and by-pass Leon areas by bus?

I would do that with the time span you have, avoid the Burgos-Leon road.

2. What is the current situation with bed bugs?

Hmm...have never experienced them. Always sleep inside/on my sleeping bag may be why.

3. Do we really need to take a sleeping bag or just a silk bag?

A matter of preference. I like the lightest/smallest sleeping bag.

Buen Camino :)

xm

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back