• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite gites (private and municipal) Le Puy to SJPP???

sunsengnim

Hello pilgrims! My husband and I are leaving next month for our walk from Le Puy to Santiago. I'm just wondering about your favorite not-to-miss gites on the Le Puy route- what are the places that have stayed in your memory long after your pilgrimage has finished?

We are particularly interested in FOOD! So, any places that you remember enjoying an especially wonderful meal would be much appreciated.

Merci beaucoup!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had planned to stay at Gite La Cabourne in St. Privat on 30 March as my first stop out of Le Puy.
They are booked and I am now trying to come up with somewhere else in St. Privat. Any ideas?

I haven't looked any further along ( i guess next would be Saugues). I hope that this isn't a problem because of Holy Week. I had hoped to book a few days ahead from the Pilgrim Office in Le Puy..but now not sure how to handle it.

Montredon (La Mariote); Tour des Chapelains at Saint-Chely d'Aubrac; Gite Dubarry on the way to Aire; and don't miss my mates at the Trigodina truffle farm, after Cahors. The Ultreia gite at Moissac is important because its a great hub for English speakers, run by an Irish couple who really have the interests of pilgrims at heart.

Meals in these places may be standard tourist fare, but may still be very good.

Of course, there can be off-days and misunderstandings at any gite, and these are only places which come immediately to mind. In spite of what one hears, I find the people of this part of France to be the politest I have ever encountered, and provided one observes formality (not natural to an Aussie), they are also extremely friendly.

So, get ready for great times!

Rob

A selection of Camino Jewellery
grayland said:
I had planned to stay at Gite La Cabourne in St. Privat on 30 March as my first stop out of Le Puy.
They are booked and I am now trying to come up with somewhere else in St. Privat. Any ideas?

I haven't looked any further along ( i guess next would be Saugues). I hope that this isn't a problem because of Holy Week. I had hoped to book a few days ahead from the Pilgrim Office in Le Puy..but now not sure how to handle it.
there is a gite actuel in st privat I stayed there april 1st 2010,I don't think you can book it, but it was one of the best places i stayed evening meal an all.Very friendly couple more than happy to help out.
Kiwi Nomad's blog of the route is the best for information and links
the only pilgrim office I know of in Le Puy is the Cathedral,can't see you booking ahead from there but there is a tourism office.
I did not book ahead at all on the way and had no problem with Easter,not as much of a big thing in France.
Saugues had a few options and by then I had hooked up with a few miam do do carrying French pilgrims who helped me out a lot.
good luck
Ian

Kitsambler said:
My blog (link above in the blog section) also gives extensive gite and dining reviews.

Bon chemin!

Thanks..I actually have many ideas from both Margaret's and your blog. Neither of you stayed in St. Privat and those who did not seem to give much of a clue where they stayed.

Ian..I actually meant the Tourist Office in Le Puy to book ahead as many have posted that they used the TI to book the first few days.
Thanks for the tip on the gite accueil in St Privat...I do see it in the MMDD.

I guess I can just turn up and if nothing available in St Privat..just keep walking until I find something. It wouldn't be the first time. :shock:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Grayland, hope you do find something in St Privat -but if you don't, Monistrol d'Allier would be closer than Saugues... I seem to remember someone talking about a lovely family-based place they stayed in, but can't remember who it was sorry.
Margaret

Hi I posted a list of albergues with reviews between August and Ocotber 2009 for the Le Puy route, but did not stay in St Privat sorry, cheers, Gitti

sunsengnim said:
Hello pilgrims! My husband and I are leaving next month for our walk from Le Puy to Santiago. I'm just wondering about your favorite not-to-miss gites on the Le Puy route- what are the places that have stayed in your memory long after your pilgrimage has finished?

We are particularly interested in FOOD! So, any places that you remember enjoying an especially wonderful meal would be much appreciated.

Merci beaucoup!

We stayed at the large gite in the abbey at Conques during the first week in May 2008. The first night was in a large dortir with about twenty other pelerins. Reinforced by a cold, one of us managed to alienate several fellows with his snoring. So we spent another night to recover and got to stay in a two-person room.

Volunteer staff was superb, and communal meals very nice, especially in the evening with a blessing from one of the priests. Pelerins are also invited to offices in the abbey church.

Buen Camino :arrow:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Odile and me we have make the way many times (nine). After our seventh Camino we have open a gite in Aire sur l'Adour "Gîte Pèlerin Hospitalet Saint Jacques". Our gite is reserved only for walking pilgrims bearing their rucksack with out any assistance (vehicle or carrying of luggages). We don't accept groups more than 4.
Only to help pilgrims we have make a list of gites that we know as pilgrims in our our internet site:
http://www.saintjacques-hospitalet.fr
This list is on the french part of the site with photos: Gites Voie du Puy or on the english part of the site: Accomodations Le Puy route.
There is not any commercial link between all these gites and we hope that this will help you to make a good pilgrimage.
ULTREIA
André
PS: Sorry for my bad english

Andre thank you for your great site.
Hopefully we will see you soon.
Sharon

Thank you André. I am heading off to France again in a few weeks, and will start walking from Cluny. I think I will probably re-walk some of the route from Le Puy. Some of the places you list are places I have stayed in and appreciated, and others are new to me. I will keep your list handy!

For those who are walking through Aire-sur-l'Adour, I can highly recommend André and Odile's gite and the very warm welcome that awaits pilgrims there.
Margaret

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I second that.. Andre and Odile dressed my blisters and helped me to book my accommodation for the next evening when I had failed. Theirs is one of the gites I remember very fondly.
Kay (NZ)

Karen and I stayed with Odile and Andre at their gite - "Hospitalet Saint Jacques" in Aire-sur-l'Adour on May 1, 2011. It would be at the top of our list of places to stay on the Chemin Le Puy. It was obvious from the first moment we arrived that Odile and Andre were not only experienced Pelerins/Pilgrims, but gracious hosts. Every want and need was looked after and it was spotlessly clean. If I had to design the 'perfect' gite/albergue, this would be it. We hope that a little bit of the intangibles rubbed off on us as we headed on to Estella to serve as Hospitaleros (May 14-31, 2011) in Estella on the Camino Frances.

Dayton and Karen, London, Ontario, Canada

Hope to stop by soon, Andre.
I start from Le Puy next week on 30 March.
May even run into Margaret if she is walking some sections of the route.
Ed

A selection of Camino Jewellery
grayland said:
May even run into Margaret if she is walking some sections of the route.
Ed
Probably not Grayland. I don't leave home until 11 April, and expect to start walking from Cluny about 18/19 April...
Margaret

Thank you Margaret (il faut aller doucement), Dayton and Karen, Kay, it's a pleasure to have again contact with you and for your encouragements.
We try to make our best and we will try to continue, so that pilgrims make a way ful of Peace and Light.
ANDRE

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
André, I just looked up my blog posting for the day I was in Aire-sur-l-Adour, and I realise that I wrote mainly about the hospitality I received in your gîte! http://chemincamino08.blogspot.co.nz/2008/07/19-may.html I remember the day well as I was feeling a bit 'fragile': it had been difficult booking accommodation for the following days. I remember waking up to find that Odile had kept telephoning for me, and she brought the telephone into me as she had finally reached a woman at home in her farm gîte. I was able to reserve a bed, and I was so very relieved, and so grateful!
Margaret

Hi, A little late but here's our favourites: All were listed in Miam Miam DoDo. (2010)

St. Privat: Accueil benovole l'Abri pelerin - Gerard Vachon - 04-71-57-25-21 - our first night. Wonderful host. Donativo. Beautiful old chateau.
Aumont-Aubrac: Les Sentiers Fleuris - 04-66-42-94-70 Very nice hosts. Clean. Great meal with Aligot.
Nasbinals: Gite equestre des Monts d'Aubrac - 04-66-32-50-65 About 500m from town. Wonderful meal.
Estaing: Hospitalite Saint-Jacques - 05-65-44-19-00 Communal meal, volunteer hosts donativo. Very quaint.
Conques: Abbaye Sainte Foy - 05-65-69-89-43 - Great location next to Cathedral. Bountiful communal meal. Nice volunteers.
Vaylats: Monastere des Filles de Jesus - 05-65-31-63-51 - Eats with Nuns. Lots of food. Pleasant.
Lascabanes: Gite d'etape Le Nid des Agnes - 05-65-31-86-38 . Cecile is wonderful host and cook. Beautiful setting next to Church, spotless and wonderful meal. MUST STAY.
Lauzerte: Les Figuiers - 05-63-29-11-85 - Michel and Bernadette are wonderful hosts. Clean and great meal.
Moissac: Ultreia - 05-63-05-15-06 - Right on route, close to Cathedral. Rom and Aiden are Irish and very helpful. Former pelerins. Great meal.
Lectoure:Accueil pelerin chez l'habitant - 05-62-68-58-49- Daniel and Maryse - Former pelerin - Pleasant stay. Good meal.
Seviac: Halte de la Ferme du Soleil - 05-62-29-45-77 - Gracious host. Great meal. Close to Roman ruins.
Lanne-Sourbiran: Gite Maison Labarbe - 05-62-08-83-81 - Fabulous meal.
Aire-sur-l"Adour - Hospitalet Saint Jacques - 05-58-03-26-22 - Sets the standard for Gites.
Arthez de-Bearn: Gite En Cousina - 05-59-67-78-78 - Great hearty meal. Nice hosts.
Uhart-Mixe: Gite d'etape l'Escargot - 05-59-65-60-00 - Bountiful meal.

Hope this adds to the other lists. Enjoy. Dayton and Karen
(Karen is vegetarian and all provided vegetarian meal)

I want to put in a recommendation for "Le Lepadou Haut" near Saint-Chély-d'Aubrac ...about 7 days out of Le Puy. It is a separate part of a family home run by Philipe and Céline Andrieu. They are lovely people. I believe they only take 4 people. They left the hectic pace of Paris several years ago. I walked the Le Puy route for 14 days and rank this the best gite that I stayed in. The evening meal was also the best I had during my entire stay in France. When I asked for eggs in the morning, Céline got a friend on the phone to double check what I was asking for in English. I got 3 eggs the next morning served to perfection. In the morning I got a lift into town where I started my day. If you're having your bags/luggage forwarded by taxi, Céline will take care of that too.

This gite is about 2 kilometers east of Saint-Chély-d'Aubrac. When I booked for the night, she said she would come with a car and pick me up. It's not necessary because you'll come upon signs on the GR65 trail directing you down to the "Le Lepadou Bas" and "Sarbonnet" gites. They are probably good places too but my experience is with "Le Lepadou Haut" which is very close to these two just mentioned.

I'm not going to put their phone number here but you'll find it in Miam Miam Dodo under Plan 16, #2 (edition 2012). It's probably best to call in advance to be sure they have a bed for you and so they can adequately plan for meals.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all. Sorry to be a downer but I just want to add a couple of gites you try to MISS!!
The gite d'etapes communal in Arzacq, Pomps and la sauvelade are drear in the extreme and the food st each absolutely dire. The latter gite charged €20 for a dismal, unhealthy meal and no wine; I could have cried. I don't know what it's like, but there is a gite or chambre d'ote in sauvelade which charges €20 for a private room-wish id known that in advance!

On the other hand: great recent gites:
Miramont sensacq. Wonderful hospitaliers, fantastic food (donativo) and great crew.
Food at the gite boulangerie in arthez de bearn fantastic.

Finished walking in early July. A real gem was the recently opened gite in Sauvelade, "Ecogite d'etape - Bistrot Oustau Grigt". Jef and Lili were marvellous hosts. Lili is a great cook and Jef is a really interesting, friendly guy. Together they provided a memorable experience. Also, the Gite Ancien Carmel in Condom was a unique experience. We stayed an extra day just to soak it all up. Check out their website: http://www.lanciencarmel.com/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked from Le Puy to Pamplona last summer, and my favourite gîtes were (listed as they appear): Gîte d'Etape l'Aubergue des Pèlerins in Villeret-d'Apcher, where the host and his wife took us through Le Chanson des Pèlerins for the first time on my walk (He spoke French and some German, but no English); a small Chambre d'hôte in Bord (near Saint-Felix, La Grange du Bord, wih a great kitchen!; La Pause Verte in Miradoux ( assume that more than one have heard about Thérèse who leaves the door open when she's not in), the Compostela in Montreal du Gers,La Presbyterie in Lanne-Soubiran, which opened the first time i April last year and wasn't in my guide-book, the L'Escale in Larreuile, the Chambre d'Hôte Gaineko-Extea just after Ostabat-Asme, with a fantastic host, Beñat, who performed several pilgrim an Basque songs, and L'Esprit du Chemin in St. Jean. On the Spanish side of the pyrenees I found that the old monastery in Trinidad del Arte was a very nice place to stay.

La Pause Verte in Miradoux ( assume that more than one have heard about Thérèse who leaves the door open when she's not in)
When she has time, she will take you to La Chappelle for a tour of the restored church there. After dinner, she will take you to the church with the blue virgin to sing some hymns to taped music. She is unique!

Odile and me we have make the way many times (nine). After our seventh Camino we have open a gite in Aire sur l'Adour "Gîte Pèlerin Hospitalet Saint Jacques". Our gite is reserved only for walking pilgrims bearing their rucksack with out any assistance (vehicle or carrying of luggages). We don't accept groups more than 4.
Only to help pilgrims we have make a list of gites that we know as pilgrims in our our internet site:
This list is on the french part of the site with photos: Gites Voie du Puy or on the english part of the site: Accomodations Le Puy route.
There is not any commercial link between all these gites and we hope that this will help you to make a good pilgrimage.
ULTREIA
André

We stayed with Andre and Odile in 2011 and had a wonderful stay. Every convenience a Pelerin could want was provided. They set the standard for pilgrim/Pelerin friendly accommodations. Dayton and Karen, London, Canada

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We stayed with Andre and Odile in 2011 and had a wonderful stay. Every convenience a Pelerin could want was provided. They set the standard for pilgrim/Pelerin friendly accommodations. Dayton and Karen, London, Canada

Having walked from Le Puy to Pamplona in the last few weeks, I would list a couple of places that were very good gites:

Monistral - Gite La Tsabone
Chanaleilles - Café du Pont (Gite is at the bottom of the hill as you enter village)
Montredon - Gite Marriotte
Grealou - Gite Violet Bleu
Mas-de-Vers - Poudally Gite
Trigodina - Trigodina Gite (The blacksmith)

One or two that I would not stay at again not to be mentioned apart from saying that there are two gites in Ostobat, but I would stay at the gite at Uhart- mixe.

Hello pilgrims! My husband and I are leaving next month for our walk from Le Puy to Santiago. I'm just wondering about your favorite not-to-miss gites on the Le Puy route- what are the places that have stayed in your memory long after your pilgrimage has finished?...

Refuge de Jean in Condom http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/refugedejean/index.html will always have a special place in my heart. It was truly a healing experience for me and my walking companion! SY

Have walked the GR many times and i really believe the following is the best dining experience;

[1]
**Lou Prat de la ressego @ Montreal du Gers.
It is just out of village on the Gr and very close to Seviac and the wonderful ruins.
Marylin will drive you there if you wish and you walk the 1 km back.
The bed rooms are very big and luxurious.
Christian her husband/chef is very good indeed.
He has trained and cooked throughout Spain and France.
Dinner costs 20 euro
Drinks @ 6.45 , sparkling wine and armagnac
Dinner @ 7pm
We had 3 different wines with the next 3 courses and the wine bottles were opened on the table.
They were of a high class...........Dinner consisted of ;
1 Melon and Jambon
2 Foie gras mousse
3 Guinea fowl and patotas
4 Poached fruit and yoghurt
followed by many varieties of cheese.

It was a class act.

[2]
Special mention to ;
Gite Chambres d' hotes Les Arroucasse , Castelnau sur L'Auvignon

This has a beautiful garden and pool and with temp 30c was a Godsend.
Salad starter very good, Chicken baked with herbs, home made strawberry ice cream and baked figs was indeed a great meal.
Wine in the carafes and plenty of .

Both set you back between 80-90 e per double.
Private albergue for 2 meal in cafe is always around 50e in France and or Spain so we have no hesitation in spending the extra .
In Australia the cost would be triple plus.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just stayed at La Tour des Chapelains in St Chely D'Aubrac. It was an amazing experience. Beautiful rooms with an excellent dinner and right in the heart of the village. 42 euros for Demi pension.
Sharon

Stayed at Le Clos de Gamel previously in 2012. Once again it proved to be an excellent choice with an amazing dinner and plenty of delicious fruit for picking in the garden.
It is situated about 4km after Lascabanes.
Staying in Hotel du Quercy in Lauzerte. The dinner was the best so far. Fabulous meal.
Sharon

Stayed at Le Clos de Gamel previously in 2012. Once again it proved to be an excellent choice with an amazing dinner and plenty of delicious fruit for picking in the garden.
It is situated about 4km after Lascabanes.
Staying in Hotel du Quercy in Lauzerte. The dinner was the best so far. Fabulous meal.
Sharon

Keep them coming Shaz, the new ones you mention will only make us return to try.
Safe walking, David

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The village of Saint-Antoine de Pont-d'Arratz is a beautiful stopping point for the night. We stayed in La Maison du Bois. There is a restaurant 2 metres away which hosts a pelerin meal each night for €14.
Last night we enjoyed soup, rabbit in mustard sauce, rice and pannacotta with raspberry coulis. As much wine, water and bread as you like of course. Highly recommended.

The village of Saint-Antoine de Pont-d'Arratz is a beautiful stopping point for the night. We stayed in La Maison du Bois. There is a restaurant 2 metres away which hosts a pelerin meal each night for €14.
Last night we enjoyed soup, rabbit in mustard sauce, rice and pannacotta with raspberry coulis. As much wine, water and bread as you like of course. Highly recommended.

Too cold for the pool????

Too cold for the pool????
Yes. It was the day we arrived. However, it was 31degrees the day we walked out. Can't lose weight in France! Too much wonderful food.

Can't lose weight in France! Too much wonderful food.

Ain't that the truth! Lost loads of weight on my first camino in Spain in 2012 (full Camino Frances and Camino Finisterre) but barely lost any by comparison in France in 2014 (full Le Puy Route) which is roughly the same distance haha ;) Too many courses of good food in France I'm afraid. Not to mention the pain au chocolat in the mornings! ;)

Just had a wonderful meal cooked by 2 gracious hospitaleros in the Communal gite at Miramont Sensacq. We had vegetable soup, roast pork with homemade apple sauce, potato, vegetables and then apple tart. When we arrived it was early and raining. They greeted us with a hot drink and homemade tart. Some chambre d'hotes don't let you in till 2.00 or later so we were impressed as it was only 12.30.
Sharon

Too hard to say a favorite but La Mariote at Montredon and sleeping in a la Casselle in Faycelles

Sharon...where the heck are you? We are in SJPP

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Too hard to say a favorite but La Mariote at Montredon and sleeping in a la Casselle in Faycelles

Sharon...where the heck are you? We are in SJPP
In Gaineko Exteia a day behind you. In SJPP tomorrow. All the best for the rest of your Camino.

ULTREIA
André
ULTREIA
André

André
My husband and I will walk the camino next april. My husband do walk walk with his backpack but I can´t - I have a problem with my left shoulder... - I can not send my backpack to you in the morning??
Thanks
Katia

@Katia Taam you can send a PM (private message) to any forum member by going to the "inbox" beside your forum name on the top right-hand side of webpage. Just "Start a conversation" and use the forum members name (in this case "André Hospitalet")

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Katia Taam you can send a PM (private message) to any forum member by going to the "inbox" beside your forum name on the top right-hand side of webpage. Just "Start a conversation" and use the forum members name (in this case "André Hospitalet")

Merci Kanga !!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back