• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feeling alone and anxious

davidellus

Time of past OR future Camino
25 may
Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming anxious as I’m coming really to the adventure . I’d like to detach these five days without a phone.

mine is just a personal message as I’m feeling little frustrated , so be nice please ☀️

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi David,
I desperately wanted to travel the world when I left school and I managed to take the 1st step, and then my friends left after 1 month and I returned home with them as I didn't feel that I was confident enough to do it alone. That is one of my biggest regrets in my life.
You have taken that 1st step and you have started your journey, preserve with it. You have reached out and I hope you get the strength to carry on from within and from others..

Buen Camino

Hello
if you are "doing this" - stop looking at booking-dot-com! Use WhatsApp to contact some albergues by calling or texting direct if yoou do want to make reservations ahead (or try your luck when walking into the town\village)
Stay off "stages" and you'll be fine
You CAN DO THIS!@
Ultreia!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am walking Sarria to Santiago in 2 weeks time today i contacted 2 albergues to make reservations and had confirmation emails within an hour. I got details and email addresses from this website

It is a spanish site but google translate is available on all pages

Buen Camino

JArlath

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming anxious as I’m coming really to the adventure . I’d like to detach these five days without a phone.

mine is just a personal message as I’m feeling little frustrated , so be nice please ☀️
It’s gonna be alright! I did the Camino multiple times and I know how it feels to be anxious.
Best way to tackle this is take a few deep breaths and write down on a paper what is making you anxious.
Then start from the simplest issue and begin solving that.
For instance if you lack equipment you could start reading some posts on this forum or watching some videos on YouTube and writing down what items are requested.

Take care and buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Buen Camino! I have found that when I push myself to do something I’m a bit afraid of, I’m almost always glad that I did it. My first Camino is coming up this summer, and I have moments of being nervous, too. But it helps to remind myself that “excited” and “nervous” are just about the same feeling. You’ll have a great time.

In two weeks I leave for my fourth Camino - from Le Puy in France. France is out of my comfort zone - the language barrier and the gites run a bit differently than the albergues in Spain. A big learning curve.
So … I have been as anxious as a newbie and felt like a newbie as I slowly learnt how to best approach this Camino. I have had quite a few early mornings when I just didn’t want to go anymore.
I think it isn’t enough to say - it will be ok.
My approach was to become more informed, ask for help (more than I ever have before) on this forum or on the Le Puy FB page. Also to do some positive self talk - I can do this, I am love, I have overcome big things before - and to practice love and faith in my Higher Power, God, Camino spirit (whatever name you like). And breath. And breath. ♥️♥️♥️
PS. You have already had some excellent advice and it’s good to read that you can still walk the Francés without booking ahead all the time.

I'm with my daughter in a beatiful, historic and recently renovated off-stage albergue after Triacastela. The hospitalera (Eugenia) is wonderful. There is room for 60 pilgrims. We are the only ones here.
What’s the name of the albergue?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm with my daughter in a beatiful, historic and recently renovated off-stage albergue after Triacastela. The hospitalera (Eugenia) is wonderful. There is room for 60 pilgrims. We are the only ones here.
Is it Albergue de peregrinos Casa Forte de Lusío?

Is it Albergue de peregrinos Casa Forte de Lusío?
That's it. It doesn't seem to be in the @wisepilgrim app but I've added a comment pointing it out.

Meanwhile, I've given up on A Casa de Carmen. They aren't answering emails or WhatsApp and their phones are out of service.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi David,
I desperately wanted to travel the world when I left school and I managed to take the 1st step, and then my friends left after 1 month and I returned home with them as I didn't feel that I was confident enough to do it alone. That is one of my biggest regrets in my life.
You have taken that 1st step and you have started your journey, preserve with it. You have reached out and I hope you get the strength to carry on from within and from others..

Buen Camino
It's never to late...

Simply avoid Sarria, Porto Marin, Melide, Palas de Rei. I looked one day before or at the same day for a bed and had no issues and was mostly out of the big groups that started in Sarria. They all stay in the same place mostly.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Simply avoid Sarria, Porto Marin, Melide, Palas de Rei. I looked one day before or at the same day for a bed and had no issues and was mostly out of the big groups that started in Sarria. They all stay in the same place mostly.
Good advice. I did exactly that and I'm now in Santiago, after staying in fine albergues in Ferreiro, Gonzar, Casanova and Santa Irene with lots of free beds in each place.

Santiago or bust! Arriba! 😎

Hi!
Basic equipment? You’ll need a rucksack, walking shoes and a couple of changes of clothes.
If it makes you feel better, I didn’t have any ‘equipment’ for my first camino. Took the (lightest) clothes I owned, bought shoes (which ended up being useless after a few hundred kms - had to buy new ones in Arzua I think). The backpack and walking poles were from Lidl! Worked absolutely fine, very cheap.
If you stay in albergues, you’ll need a sleeping bag or a liner.
That’s it 🙂

If you stay in albergues, you’ll need a sleeping bag or a liner.
I read a thread on a Camino Facebook group, and people seemed surprised that they needed to bring bedding! I don't know where they are getting their information from.
Actually I do - from FB groups, and not from this forum!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I read a thread on a Camino Facebook group, and people seemed surprised that they needed to bring bedding! I don't know where they are getting their information from.
Actually I do - from FB groups, and not from this forum!
It depends on how you do your pilgrimage. If you only stay in private rooms and small hotels, as many do, you may not need to carry your own bedding.

It depends on how you do your pilgrimage. If you only stay in private rooms and small hotels, as many do, you may not need to carry your own bedding.
True, I stayed in some private rooms that were part of an albergue and I was happy that I brought my liner with me to use it in some eh „rough“ rooms ;) and a liner doesn’t weight much, I had only one cold night on the CF because the room had no heating and I denied to use their bedding …

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Be not afraid. Millions have done it before you. Enjoy each second of it.
Thy will be done.

Everything you need can be found along the route. It's totally normal to feel anxious, frustrated, and alone. You are in a foreign country far from home. Something inside of you wanted to do this, and now you are there. I hope you can breathe into it and find your groove and have an amazing time.

You will find many friendly people on path and the managers of hotels we have stayed at are very helpful. No phone?? Just turn it off and use in emergency. We are Walking now

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back