• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Challenge with accommodations

Eastcoasthiker

Time of past OR future Camino
May-July 2023
Hi everyone. We are leaving SJPdP on May 27th - 49 days from now, walking the full Francés route. We are having incredible difficulties booking places. Everything seems to be booked up. Is anyone having as frustrating a time as I am? We’re trying to book private rooms or shared rooms with 4-6 beds max. Very little success.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you are trying to make the booking through a third party booking site (such as booking.com), be aware that many albergues and hostals do not release all of their beds to those sites, because of the commission they have to pay. Try contacting the accommodations directly (using Whatapp where possible as that seems to be the messaging medium most popular in Spain - there is a thread about using that app).

There is also a frequent bottle-neck between SJPDP and Pamplona, so you may need to plan to walk a few more or a few less km each day through there. Usually, after Pamplona things are easier.

Buen camino!

Where are you trying to book? SJPDP to Zubiri and sometimes Pamplona can fill up faster. After Pamplona shouldn’t be as big of a problem. That said - dorm rooms are often 8 or more beds, so you may have trouble finding some smaller dorm rooms. They do exist - but more often are larger rooms. And many beds are not allowed to be reserved - so just because places seem full online, doesn’t necessarily mean they are completely full.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On Sunday April 2nd I went on booking.com to look for a room in either San Juan de Ortega, Ages, Atapuerca or Olmos de Atapuerca for May 28th. All the booking.com places had no availability. So I took the advice given on this forum and went to Gronze for help. I emailed Albergue El Pajar de Ages from there website that was on Gronze and got a private room for that date. Good luck.

Hi everyone. We are leaving SJPdP on May 27th - 49 days from now, walking the full Francés route. We are having incredible difficulties booking places. Everything seems to be booked up. Is anyone having as frustrating a time as I am? We’re trying to book private rooms or shared rooms with 4-6 beds max. Very little success.
Try Gronze.com and consider taking it as it comes.

Where are you trying to book? SJPDP to Zubiri and sometimes Pamplona can fill up faster. After Pamplona shouldn’t be as big of a problem. That said - dorm rooms are often 8 or more beds, so you may have trouble finding some smaller dorm rooms. They do exist - but more often are larger rooms. And many beds are not allowed to be reserved - so just because places seem full online, doesn’t necessarily mean they are completely full.
I had a hard time finding anything in SJPdP (pension), and we’re having to walk to Burgette, not Roncesvilles due to lack of availability there too. Zubiri I could find nothing, and had to settle for Lasarronia. Pamplona was ok. My wife and daughter join us in Leon, to walk the rest of the way, and they were having a hard time on that end as well to book the first few nights. It’s a greater challenge than I thought.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It’s a greater challenge than I thought.
It's a vicious circle at work. People have heard/read online about accommodation shortages in May and so book well in advance. Which means that those places which allow reservation months in advance are soon fully booked. And people who can't book in advance then post in places like this about the accommodation shortage....

Accommodation on the Camino evolved to meet the basic needs of Pilgrims. Simple dormitories, basic plumbing and, sometimes, food. All usually on a walk-up basis. Provision has not evolved sufficiently quickly to meet the needs and demands of the modern Caminant. There is simply not enough commercial accommodation to meet demand in peak seasons. There is still a network of “walk-ups” that still meets the basic needs of the wandering pilgrim. Absent from the booking apps they remain off the radar of many.

If you really want private space, something else to look at if there are a few of you, is apartments. Easier to find in bigger towns, they have good facilities, and often multiple bedrooms. On a per bed basis, I found them not too badly priced.
I worked on the theory of - if paying more for accommodation we make our own dinner. If cheap accommodation then we buy dinner. They also come with washing machines/dryers as well, so every 5-6 days we'd look for an apartment and wash everything properly, hand washing other days. We'd cook a communal meal quite cheaply, and loll around full on comfortable couches, and wander around town, going back whenever we felt like it. One of the weird luxuries is being able to turn an actual light on without bothering anyone else as well.
Ive seldom had a problem finding a bed in an albergue, and I have walked in busy months. Zubiri is the only place that comes to mind, where I think I had to try 3 places. If you do meet up with others having a larger dorm room isnt really a worry, as if your pace is similar you meet the same people a lot.
Before my first Camino I was concerned I wouldn't like dormitory life, but I really enjoyed it.
Sometimes I used Booking.com, but a lot of the time the hospitalera phoned and booked albergues for me. I really didn't have an issue. They seem to have a good handle on the beds available.
Don't be put off staying in the more basic places - some of my best Camino memories were made in those places.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Provision has not evolved sufficiently quickly to meet the needs and demands of the modern Caminant. There is simply not enough commercial accommodation to meet demand in peak seasons.
Covid hasn't helped matters either. Quite a few places closed permanently during the lockdown periods and have not reopened. Perhaps in time they may or will be replaced by new albergues/hostals. In the meantime bed numbers are still reduced and early signs are that this will be another very busy year as large numbers of pilgrims return to the Caminos after all the travel restrictions of the past couple of years. A double blow.

I had a hard time finding anything in SJPdP (pension), and we’re having to walk to Burgette, not Roncesvilles due to lack of availability there too. Zubiri I could find nothing, and had to settle for Lasarronia. Pamplona was ok. My wife and daughter join us in Leon, to walk the rest of the way, and they were having a hard time on that end as well to book the first few nights. It’s a greater challenge than I thought.
It is more challenging because you are also limiting yourselves to privates and small dorm rooms. I am willing to bet Roncesvalles has plenty of room in their huge Albergue. Have you checked? It isn’t on a booking website - you reserve on its private website. But it is true that Roncesvalles does not have many private rooms. Have you also checked the larger dorm rooms in SJPDP? Now - Zubiri does fill up their reservable beds so that doesn’t surprise me. As does Orisson/Borda.

Also - are you using gronze.com? The website is in Spanish but can be translated to English using a chrome browser. It lists albergues and private rooms in each town and tells whether or not they accept reservations and gives phone, email, and website information so you can book directly. And - if on Booking.com it gives the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have already pointed out it is very unlikely that there is no accommodation available in Roncesvalles for the weekend of 27 and 28 May 2023. Please don’t misunderstand, I am not blaming you in any way for the information provided by you but we have these threads every year and pilgrims who are very new to all this can easily get the wrong impression that “everything is already fully booked“. Like it or not, the Camino de Santiago is a place where dormitories and shared rooms reign supreme.

Out of curiosity, I checked the accommodation situation in Roncesvalles for Saturday 27 May and/or Sunday 28 May 2023:
  • The albergue of Roncesvalles allows me to book 30 beds (the maximum number of beds allowed for a single booking).
  • Hotel Roncesvalles is indeed fully booked in May except on 11 and 12 May. No surprise there. Not only pilgrims stay there.
  • Hotel La Posada has a twin-bed room available for the Saturday and a couple of 4-bed rooms on both Saturday and Sunday (on their own specific booking site!)
Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
And, surprisingly and frequently overlooked by Camino pilgrims: Monday 29 May is Whitsun Monday, a public holiday in numerous European countries such as (according to one website) in Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greenland, Guernsey and Alderney, Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Saint Helena, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Switzerland*, and UK. This makes it a long weekend when people want to travel for a short break or for starting a longer trip.

If you really want private space, something else to look at if there are a few of you, is apartments. Easier to find in bigger towns, they have good facilities, and often multiple bedrooms. On a per bed basis, I found them not too badly priced.
I worked on the theory of - if paying more for accommodation we make our own dinner. If cheap accommodation then we buy dinner. They also come with washing machines/dryers as well, so every 5-6 days we'd look for an apartment and wash everything properly, hand washing other days. We'd cook a communal meal quite cheaply, and loll around full on comfortable couches, and wander around town, going back whenever we felt like it. One of the weird luxuries is being able to turn an actual light on without bothering anyone else as well.
Ive seldom had a problem finding a bed in an albergue, and I have walked in busy months. Zubiri is the only place that comes to mind, where I think I had to try 3 places. If you do meet up with others having a larger dorm room isnt really a worry, as if your pace is similar you meet the same people a lot.
Before my first Camino I was concerned I wouldn't like dormitory life, but I really enjoyed it.
Sometimes I used Booking.com, but a lot of the time the hospitalera phoned and booked albergues for me. I really didn't have an issue. They seem to have a good handle of the beds available.
Don't be put off staying in the more basic places - some of my best Camino memories were made in those places.
Thank you, that is helpful. We plan to do a mixture of albergues and pensions. We do want the full camino experience. We'll keep the apartment idea in mind - hadn't considered that.

I think you w
It will be very difficult to get reservations now in certain areas. As others have indicated, you probably won’t find much available if you are trying to book private rooms at the beginning and end of-the camino. But in contrast, to what others are writing,… I have found, in peak season when the booking sites are full, most often, there Is not availability when I contact the accommodation directly. In order to “make things work”, be flexible. Consider alternate Locations, use buses or taxis to transport you to your base. Maybe find a central location on stages and taxi to the beginning, then walk back,etc. it is not ideal, of course.

You can use a shuttle in bring you back to SJPdP if you want to split that first stage.

The Mountain Shuttle​

An help for the walk from St Jean pied de port to Roncesvalles.
Every morning and afternoon, a shuttle runs from St Jean pied de port to go to La Croix Thibault, passing by the “Route Napoleon”. You can choose your stop according to your physical capacity and your desire.

Why to use it ?​

• You think that you can’t walk the whole stage from St Jean pied de Port to Roncesvalles. This service shorten this stage.
  • You want to walk this stage in 2 days, but the refuge of Orisson is fully booked, or you would prefer to sleep in one hotel of St Jean pied de Port instead of Orisson. You can Go & Back with us. Day 1 : you walk from St Jean pied de Port to the Virgen of Orisson. At 14h40, we pick up you there and we go down to St Jean PP. Day 2 : at 08h30, we transport you back to the Virgen and you can walk to Roncesvalles.
la-navette-du-matin

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In support of what others have noted about contacting accommodation directly. With google translate etc, it's very easy to make direct enquiries. Just a few days ago I emailed the Albergue San Nicolas in Larrasoana to enquire if they had two places for a night in mid May. We will be walking thé Camino Baztan to Pamplona and were considering walking back to France via the Camino Frances so thought we’d best see if we could book something given the time of year. Some hours later I received a reply saying yes and for us just to confirm the day before or the reservation would otherwise be given away.

Footnote: We've since decided to take the Aragones back to France so the accommodation is no longer required. I've emailed the Albergue to let them know. So, anyone looking for accom in Larrasoana on 18 May - maybe 2 spots are still available! Buen Camino.

To many pilgrim's ".... the full Camino experience ...." includes what you are describing, particularly on the Camino Frances. The vulnerability of not knowing where you will sleep, but trust that you will find somewhere, can be part of what makes this Camino different to a hiking holiday.
I understand that, with jet lag and the disorientation of a strange language and unfamiliar culture, it is reassuring to have the first night or two sorted beforehand. But after that you may prefer the freedom and spontaneity permitted by not booking ahead, so you can walk as far as your legs and your spirit choose.
I have walked over 2000 kms of Caminos and cycled 4000 kms of Caminos and rarely booked other than on the same day. I have always found somewhere indoors to sleep!
Whatever you decide to do, I trust that the Camino will enhance your life.

Burguette is a cute little town!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As others have already pointed out it is very unlikely that there is no accommodation available in Roncesvalles for the weekend of 27 and 28 May 2023. Please don’t misunderstand, I am not blaming you in any way for the information provided by you but we have these threads every year and pilgrims who are very new to all this can easily get the wrong impression that “everything is already fully booked“. Like it or not, the Camino de Santiago is a place where dormitories and shared rooms reign supreme.

Out of curiosity, I checked the accommodation situation in Roncesvalles for Saturday 27 May and/or Sunday 28 May 2023:
  • The albergue of Roncesvalles allows me to book 30 beds (the maximum number of beds allowed for a single booking).
  • Hotel Roncesvalles is indeed fully booked in May except on 11 and 12 May. No surprise there. Not only pilgrims stay there.
  • Hotel La Posada has a twin-bed room available for the Saturday and a couple of 4-bed rooms on both Saturday and Sunday (on their own specific booking site!)
Buen Camino!
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked Posada Roncesvalles yesterday and again today. It said the same thing - 'This property has no availability May 26-27'. So, perhaps they may be not listing anything on bookings.com, or they are indeed sold out. You checked for the weekend - we need a spot in Roncesvalles on the Friday night (May 26th). My search continues!

bookings.com
As I said, I checked availabilities on La Posada’s own website and own booking system:

Their own website has more availabilities than their presence on booking.com.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked Posada Roncesvalles yesterday and again today. It said the same thing - 'This property has no availability May 26-27'. So, perhaps they may be not listing anything on bookings.com, or they are indeed sold out. You checked for the weekend - we need a spot in Roncesvalles on the Friday night (May 26th). My search continues!
As stated by Kathar1na - try their website directly. If not - I highly recommend booking in the big albergue that night so you don’t have to walk beyond Roncesvalles when you are exhausted from the first day. Better to get rest in a larger albergue than push beyond if you are exhausted - as many of us are that first day. After Pamplona it should be easier to find private rooms - but be flexible is at all possible.

Just a few days ago I emailed the Albergue San Nicolas in Larrasoana to enquire if they had two places for a night in mid May. We will be walking thé Camino Baztan to Pamplona and were considering walking back to France via the Camino Frances so thought we’d best see if we could book something given the time of year. Some hours later I received a reply saying yes they could offer a private room for 2 and for us just to confirm the day before or the room would otherwise be given away.
I didn't know that San Nicolás had any private rooms. That's not indicated on Gronze or on their website.

I highly recommend the albergue - I've stayed there twice.

I didn't know that San Nicolás had any private rooms. That's not indicated on Gronze or on their website.
I haven’t stayed there. I wrote asking if they had ´una habitación para dos peregrinos’, and they replied yes and confirmed a reservation. Perhaps when we arrived it may have turned out to be dormitory beds. I guess my point was that it’s easy to contact accommodation directly. It does look very nice. We are hoping to be on the Frances in November so might stay there if they’re open 😎

Edit. I’ve amended my original post in case of confusion re dormitory or private room.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I haven’t stayed there. I wrote asking if they had ´una habitación para dos peregrinos’, and they replied yes and confirmed a reservation. Perhaps when we arrived it may have turned out to be dormitory beds. I guess my point was that it’s easy to contact accommodation directly. It does look very nice 😎
I understand.
It is very nice and they have a good communal dinner. And there's a store nearby that also offered light meals when I was there in 2017.

Last edited:
Is it still true that some accommodation doesn't open up again until at or after Easter? It might still get easier. Might also help to contact places directly as they might have more beds and rooms than they advertise on booking.com. And the majority of municipals don't allow pre-booking so you might be able to just walk in and get a bed!

I am starting my Camino in Astorga at the end of April, and it has not been easy to make reservations. I am mixing albergues and private rooms as the last resource. I am also trying to stay in off-stage towns, and contacting directly the hospitalero which may take a day or two for them to return your email or whatsup text. I have heard many comments in this forum about how the number of pilgrims has increased this year, reason to reserve in advance since I am walking solo.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I found the best way is to send the Albergue an email requesting a check in and check out dates and have used google translate to translate in Spanish. Make sure you give them you phone no as well.

And, surprisingly and frequently overlooked by Camino pilgrims: Monday 29 May is Whitsun Monday,
I'm not very surprised it gets overlooked. There was a post recently from someone who was finding difficulty booking a few days after Easter and had not even considered that Easter might be a factor in the problem. If you can just overlook Easter then not thinking about Whitsun is child's play! :)

Have you looked at Airbnb’s for lodging?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think you w

It will be very difficult to get reservations now in certain areas. As others have indicated, you probably won’t find much available if you are trying to book private rooms at the beginning and end of-the camino. But in contrast, to what others are writing,… I have found, in peak season when the booking sites are full, most often, there Is not availability when I contact the accommodation directly. In order to “make things work”, be flexible. Consider alternate Locations, use buses or taxis to transport you to your base. Maybe find a central location on stages and taxi to the beginning, then walk back,etc. it is not ideal, of course.

You can use a shuttle in bring you back to SJPdP if you want to split that first stage.

The Mountain Shuttle​

An help for the walk from St Jean pied de port to Roncesvalles.
Every morning and afternoon, a shuttle runs from St Jean pied de port to go to La Croix Thibault, passing by the “Route Napoleon”. You can choose your stop according to your physical capacity and your desire.

Why to use it ?​

• You think that you can’t walk the whole stage from St Jean pied de Port to Roncesvalles. This service shorten this stage.
  • You want to walk this stage in 2 days, but the refuge of Orisson is fully booked, or you would prefer to sleep in one hotel of St Jean pied de Port instead of Orisson. You can Go & Back with us. Day 1 : you walk from St Jean pied de Port to the Virgen of Orisson. At 14h40, we pick up you there and we go down to St Jean PP. Day 2 : at 08h30, we transport you back to the Virgen and you can walk to Roncesvalles.
la-navette-du-matin
I’ll second the Mountain Shuttle. We used this service in 2018 and it worked out wonderful.

Accommodation on the Camino evolved to meet the basic needs of Pilgrims. Simple dormitories, basic plumbing and, sometimes, food. All usually on a walk-up basis. Provision has not evolved sufficiently quickly to meet the needs and demands of the modern Caminant. There is simply not enough commercial accommodation to meet demand in peak seasons. There is still a network of “walk-ups” that still meets the basic needs of the wandering pilgrim. Absent from the booking apps they remain off the radar of many.
Walking the Camino Francis 20+ years ago the idea of booking accommodation never occurred to me. It just was not necessary. And walking the R de la P with my wife at that time we found ourselves the only pilgrims at refuges on most of the 42 stages.
How different now and, without evidence to back this up, despite the increase in private albergues, the ever growing number of pilgrim tour operators must be making an impact on available accommodation. Surely such companies must block book accommodation to ensure their clients have places at which to stay. A mixed blessing! For me (and I stress, for me) the over-commercialisation of the C de S has markedly eroded the undoubted spirit of the pilgrimage.

I know this doesn't answer the question of how accommodation can be relied upon for the individual who's not able to determine exactly how far they will walk each day. Perhaps the next step (pun unintentional) will be the provision of pilgrim campsites where pilgrims can pitch a small lightweight tent which they carry. And, yes, I know in countries such as France, pilgrims invariably do carry their own small tents.

Whatever, I trust those walking (or cycling) will not be deterred and derive the satisfaction and fulfillment of completing this great pilgrimage - at least once!

And, yes, I know in countries such as France, pilgrims invariably do carry their own small tents.
I agree that 20+ years ago there was rarely any need to reserve accommodation on the Frances. It never crossed my mind to do so on my first two Caminos either. But I think you are wrong about France and tents. There are many pilgrims who rely on gites and similar accommodation and do not carry a tent.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walking the Camino Francis 20+ years ago the idea of booking accommodation never occurred to me.
It was only 7 years ago that I walked my first Camino, and I only made a reservation at Orisson - it didn't occur to me that I would need to book anything else.

Walking the Camino Francis 20+ years ago the idea of booking accommodation never occurred to me. It just was not necessary. And walking the R de la P with my wife at that time we found ourselves the only pilgrims at refuges on most of the 42 stages.
How different now and, without evidence to back this up, despite the increase in private albergues, the ever growing number of pilgrim tour operators must be making an impact on available accommodation. Surely such companies must block book accommodation to ensure their clients have places at which to stay. A mixed blessing! For me (and I stress, for me) the over-commercialisation of the C de S has markedly eroded the undoubted spirit of the pilgrimage.

I know this doesn't answer the question of how accommodation can be relied upon for the individual who's not able to determine exactly how far they will walk each day. Perhaps the next step (pun unintentional) will be the provision of pilgrim campsites where pilgrims can pitch a small lightweight tent which they carry. And, yes, I know in countries such as France, pilgrims invariably do carry their own small tents.

Whatever, I trust those walking (or cycling) will not be deterred and derive the satisfaction and fulfillment of completing this great pilgrimage - at least once!
Yeah, I did it 22 years ago, and it seems to be a whole different thing now. I'm doing it again this year (soon!) and am trying to keep an open mind about how all things evolve, etc. but I admit I'm a little worried that I'll be disheartened by what it's become, and it'll ruin my memory of what the Camino is.

A
It was only 7 years ago that I walked my first Camino, and I only made a reservation at Orisson - it didn't occur to me that I would need to book anything else.
I was the same back six years ago on my first Camino I only had Orrison booked , I do have to admit that I was a lot younger and faster. Most days we were first at the municipal Albergue, these days I’m not as fast and have pre booked most of my accommodations.

€46,-
Ditto—just 5 years ago I booked Orisson and nothing else. I never had a problem getting a bed. I think most of the current problem is being driven by fear and people are over-sharing their fear on here, leading to more fear, and so it snowballs... In reality, I would expect a good percentage of the bookings that have been made will in fact be subsequently cancelled, as people’s plans meet the reality of their training and fitness levels, which may see them end up nowhere near the place they had planned to stay. I have even heard of people booking 2 or 3 places along a “stage” just IN CASE. Is it just me, or is that completely disrespectful to other pilgrims, in that it creates a situation that distorts reality? As some wise person on here has said, when preparing for a Camino “Don’t pack your fears.” Just walk.

Only a small percentage of pilgrims departing from SJPP - a very small daily number - are on this forum and read posts prior to their departure.

And no amount of fearlessness will change the fact that during short periods of high demand such as early May and early September there are fewer beds than pilgrims in “bottlenecks“ such as Roncesvalles, Zubiri, Larraosaña, and even no reasonably priced private beds on some Friday and Saturday nights in Pamplona. But the Camino provides: namely taxis that whisk pilgrims without a bed from Roncesvalles to Pamplona; and their credit cards provide, too, of course.

So, is anyone reading there right now - Easter weekend 2023 between SJPP and Cizur Menor just past Pamplona? Very busy or not? Plenty of spare beds, especially in the non-bookable non-private albergues?

Last edited:
Interesting thread, I walked Sep/oct 2018 and only booked Sjpdp and Orisson and just walked and stopped when needed.
I walked last year and probably booked 80% but then found my Camino family and changed a few.
This year I’m walking Sep/Oct and have booked 95% some through booking.com, some old favourites through emails and some new ones also through emails. I’ve only had one day please contact us later as bookings not yet open.
I prefer direct contact and use translate
They are very grateful for my return stays.
I also note a price increase since last year.
I have quite bad knees now and just am walking my way this time, with shorted distances
Also my first Camino I was shy at times and felt I couldn’t walk in to some hostels where there may have been pilgrims out the front and I walked from Trabadelo to Tiacastela in one day. I crawled into municipal Albergue late and had the worst bed, shower, sleep ever. So if I book I’m going into that one no matter what. Plus being my fourth I’m very comfortable on the Camino now.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Halfway to Santiago in the meseta its Easter and no problemo getting a bed yet. Do it when it's cold or wet season...always a place to stay

Halfway to Santiago in the meseta its Easter and no problemo getting a bed yet. Do it when it's cold or wet season...always a place to stay
And start before the Easter rush like you must have done! I walked the Camino Frances in January this year. Certainly there were cold days and a couple of wet ones but I was very lucky with weather. Mostly dry and bright. Some long days because of the limited number of places that were open. No luggage transfers. A surprising amount of company - including many Korean pilgrims who seem to favour winter as a time to walk. A beautiful experience. Like going back 30 years but with much better accommodation! :cool:

Even booking doesn't guarantee a definite place.
I've just been booted from a booking I made on booking.com and had held for a couple of months. I was just emailed that there had been a block booking of the whole albergue, so sorry but tough luck basically.

€60,-
Ditto—just 5 years ago I booked Orisson and nothing else. I never had a problem getting a bed. I think most of the current problem is being driven by fear and people are over-sharing their fear on here, leading to more fear, and so it snowballs... In reality, I would expect a good percentage of the bookings that have been made will in fact be subsequently cancelled, as people’s plans meet the reality of their training and fitness levels, which may see them end up nowhere near the place they had planned to stay. I have even heard of people booking 2 or 3 places along a “stage” just IN CASE. Is it just me, or is that completely disrespectful to other pilgrims, in that it creates a situation that distorts reality? As some wise person on here has said, when preparing for a Camino “Don’t pack your fears.” Just walk.
I think there might be more people (vs. 5 years ago) booking outside the albergues because of concerns about Covid. I am hoping all these people who've booked have the courtesy to cancel out as soon as they know they won't be making those distances, so others can have the spaces. (Or maybe they'll just plan to bus/taxi to wherever they the reservation?) This is a whole different ballgame than it used to be. We'll see...

On the Frances now. Accomodation tight between SJPdP and Pamplona. Ronsavalles was full ( and turning pilgrims away on last Thursday evening). SJPdP also very full. Our Albergue was asked to take extra guest on Wednesday evening and heard story of 2 who slept outside between Orisson and Borda since SJPdP was full Thursday. Expect it will ease up this week past Easter/Pamplona.

It was only 7 years ago that I walked my first Camino, and I only made a reservation at Orisson - it didn't occur to me that I would need to book anything else might have depended 8nthe time of year!
I think it might have depended on the season or day? We walked from SJPdP starting in mid Sept. of 2015. I started booking 2.5 months before we went and had a very difficult time making reservations. Luckily, we were able to eventually book The Hotel Roncevalle after someone else likely cancelled. There were no rooms to be had in. Zubiri. So we made the second day quite short then walked to Larrasoana, for accommodations, to a place … I would not stay in again. Almost every town up to Burgos, including small towns, like Ages, where I got over 40 bedbug bites, were full occupancy, including bunks. There is only so much capacity…..specially for private rooms.

€83,-
I agree that 20+ years ago there was rarely any need to reserve accommodation on the Frances. It never crossed my mind to do so on my first two Caminos either. But I think you are wrong about France and tents. There are many pilgrims who rely on gites and similar accommodation and do not carry a tent.
When I walked from Le Puy prior to covid, there were several rural gîtes that offered camping, and people camping there. But as you say, most were relying on gîtes rather than camping, especially in the towns.

We didn't book before we went except for SJPdP. Anything can happen on the Camino and frequently does meaning you may not make it to a pre-booked accommodation. Part of the experience is staying in albergues with others, making friends, sharing experiences of blisters, sore knees etc and generally becoming part of the Camino. Yes, an occasional night with sheets and towels and a room for 4 is a luxury that should be enjoyed. It's an adventure, let it happen. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back