• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Festa de São João do Porto - June 23

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
This titbit of information can apply equally for those that will arrive in Santiago and have some extra time and are wanting to visit Oporto, or others that are planning to depart or arrive in Oporto Portugal on the Camino.

One event you should not miss is the Festa de São João do Porto. It is held each year on June 23, with the major events starting at mid night and lasting throughout most the night. Many people choose to stay up until sunrise the next day. Approximately one million from throughout Portugal attend this event.

My wife and I did the Camino for the first time back in 2007 and after, we headed south to Oporto, unaware that this event was on that weekend. Fortunately we had booked a place for night. Needless to say, we had plenty of fun and very little sleep.

Wikipedia has more information on it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festa_de_São_João_do_Porto

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Do they do what Pamplona does for San Fermen, close Albergues to pilgrims during the festival and inflate the bed price for festival goers?

I honestly do not know, since we had booked a bed and breakfast at the coast, about a 10 minute ride to the city' of Oporto. The rate for the 3 nights we were there did not seem unreasonable but I am sure the rates in the actual city would have been higher, if you could get a place.

And during the festival, all forms of public transportation shut down, so we had to walk the 5 km back to our bed and breakfast, passing what it seemed a couple dozen thousand hammer happy fesitve types. I think we finally made it back to our beds sometime about 4.00 am in the morning.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

After walking in rainy and chilly Galicia for about a week I ended up in a warm hotel room, feverish and with a cold. And I asked myself: why am I doing this? It felt like truancy, but I decided...
Hi I am curious to know what snake this is, just after Astorga before Murias de Rechivaldo ... lovely little thing!
We are leaving Sahagún and can’t find any coffee for breakfast. Any advice or has someone seen any on the way. Saludos Nando
I will be volunteering for 15 days at the Pilgrim’s Office in Santiago in late October . I understand that volunteers no longer fill out Compostela’s because a computer prints the names and...
I am an American peregrino interested in volunteering for 2 weeks at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago de Compostela during 2025. I have completed the Camino Frances (2019), Camino Finisterre (2023)...
I finally got around to having my Compostela and certificates framed. Doing so was more time consuming, irritating and painful than walking. The first attempt by the framers had everything at odd...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back