Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Few Invierno questions

Fares Ismail

Fares
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2017), Invierno (2017)
Hello,
Im currently in Léon on the Frances and will switch to the Invierno once I get to ponferrada...
But I have a few questions and I hope someone who previously walked the camino could answer....

1- I know a heads up is recommended but can it be on the same day? Or is it better if I do it the day before?

2- I think the guide on this forum is great, but does anyone know if I can find further help in ponferrada? I heard a guidebook was recently printed in english (can it be found in ponferrada?) and perhaps if they have altitude maps...

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Fares,

What so you mean by giving a heads up and can it be done in the same day?

The large muni albergue in Ponferrada has additional information, but be aware that they may also suggest you stay on the Frances.

As for the guide on the Forum, it is as recent as it gets, with the latest comments from recent walkers having been added this spring.

For elevations just look at this sketch: http://www.editorialbuencamino.com/caminodesantiago/26/camino-de-invierno

Here is the info on where to buy the recent guide, in Spanish, in Ponferrada: http://caminodeinvierno.es/

Last edited by a moderator:
Fares,

What so you mean by giving a heads up and can it be done in the same day?

The large muni albergue in Ponferrada has additional information, but be aware that they may also suggest you stay on the Frances.

As for the guide on the Forum, it is as recent as it gets, with the latest comments from recent walkers having been added this spring.

For elevations just look at this sketch: http://www.editorialbuencamino.com/caminodesantiago/26/camino-de-invierno

Here is the info on where to buy the recent guide, in Spanish, in Ponferrada: http://caminodeinvierno.es/
Thank you for ur helpful reply!

I meant that should I call to let them know ill be sleeping in the hostel on that day?

And any idea if the guide can also be found in english? I read somewhere on the forum that one was being published.

But again thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for ur helpful reply!

I meant that should I call to let them know ill be sleeping in the hostel on that day?

And any idea if the guide can also be found in english? I read somewhere on the forum that one was being published.

But again thank you!
If I remember correctly it hasn't been translated yet.
I only called in advance twice. That was for Asun in A Rua and Pension As Vinas in A Pobra de Brollon.
Albergue Turistico in Quiroga always has a room for pilgrims although it may be packed with school kids.
And of course I contacted Penelope in Castrotane well in advance because I knew I would be there exactly on St.James day.

And this is the second web page for Invierno (one mentioned early by Anemone ends with .es and this one with .com):
http://caminodeinvierno.com/
You'll see the guide you mentioned being sold here. And there are also profiles of the route under each stage.

Buen Camino!

Salem Lakum, I'm assuming a lot here. As you walk into Ponferrada you can veer to left onto Invierno or continue to right towards Ponferrada and albergue. So I suppose it depends on where you have breakfast.
If you have Laurie's guide,or nothing at all except your ingenuity, all will be well. Don't expect to meet peregrinos on in Invierno, but it is rewarding in it's own right. There are enough flechas to help you.
Buen Camino.

Salem Lakum, I'm assuming a lot here. As you walk into Ponferrada you can veer to left onto Invierno or continue to right towards Ponferrada and albergue. So I suppose it depends on where you have breakfast.
If you have Laurie's guide,or nothing at all except your ingenuity, all will be well. Don't expect to meet peregrinos on in Invierno, but it is rewarding in it's own right. There are enough flechas to help you.
Buen Camino.
You're correct in your assumptions :p I'm from Lebanon
Thats actually one of the reasons why Im doing the Invierno, figured it would be nice to have a little solitude as opposed to what I've been told about thelast 200-100km.
But so far its all been great! Im staying at "in-between" stages and finding lots of places (which is awesome because I love long breakfast breaks!)

I think I'll just use Lauries guide (maybe with a quick look at elevation maps to know whats ahead :p)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the Invierno in May and June. Just down the street from the Albergue San Nicolas de Flue in Ponferrada is a little hut manned by a Lay Franciscan named Roger. He knows much about the Invierno, and likes to be very helpful. He helped me plan stages and gave me the resources to make intelligent decisions about where to eat and sleep every night. He also physically took me to the starting point for the Invierno (just a block or two from his hut) to make sure I got a good start in the morning. In A Rua, I was able to get Asun's Spanish language guide from her, which has all the maps and elevation charts a person could ask for. And that gave me much more confidence. (If you stop at Casa Solaina in A Rua, please tell Asun and Manuela that I think of them often with gratitude and love!) But I have to say that the Invierno is so well marked that it is nearly impossible to get lost (and I get lost very easily!). I only got lost once, and it was on my way to Borrenes on the first day just after the Ermita de la Virgen del Carmen, as I was attempting to make the ascent to Cornatel Castle, so watch the arrows there! I ended up wandering through the vineyards for quite a long time before I found my way down to the road and sorted it all out. I love this Camino!! It's absolutely gorgeous! And I didn't see another pilgrim for days at a time. Oh, and the birdsong!!!

Pray'nwalk

I walked the Invierno last year at the end of October. I used Laurie's guide in combination with the Gronze information. https://www.gronze.com/camino-invierno My tablet translates each page and so I had 2 English guides. I didn't pre-book anything, followed the "recommended" places in Laurie' guide. I just followed the directions to these places each day, and always got a room. I did a post some time ago on this forum listing where I stayed and how much I paid. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/growth-on-the-invierno-finally.44895/#post-471407 If you read the guide, that will indicate quite clearly what climbs / descents you will have on each stage.

Its a lovely way. Enjoy. Janet

Salem Lakum, ...
Wrong. See here:
http://ccnmtl.columbia.edu/projects/mmt/mxp/notes/5140.html

...As you walk into Ponferrada you can veer to left onto Invierno or continue to right towards Ponferrada and albergue. ...
Wrong again. The official turn-off point for Invierno is after albergue in Ponferrada to the left. But if you do not stay on main road from Molinaseca to Ponferrada and turn left (much before the city) than you got the point. And to veer on the Invierno you do not cross the river to your right but proceed straight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1. Shukraan.

2. Both times I walked Invierno leaving Ponferrada, I went back downhill over river (I think) and turned right.
So coming along Frances as main road turns right to go uphill into Ponferrada (over river?) I suppose the correct word I should have used is continue straight instead of veer left.
Hopefully I didn't or don't mislead anyone.
Buen Camino.

1. Shukraan.

2. Both times I walked Invierno leaving Ponferrada, I went back downhill over river (I think) and turned right.
So coming along Frances as main road turns right to go uphill into Ponferrada (over river?) I suppose the correct word I should have used is continue straight instead of veer left.
Hopefully I didn't or don't mislead anyone.
Buen Camino.
I knew exactly what you meant but first-timers might not. Good we get that straight :)

Im sorry I thought the assumption was about the country from the name (then I realized the country is in my profile :p )
Its actually al salam alaykoum (what you said was peace for you) :p
Anyway im sure over my stay here in Spain I've butchered a lot of words and phrases too in Spanish but I hope its the intention that counts

And thank you everyone for all the help! Im excited to get to Ponferrada!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The easiest way to describe the Invierno turn-off is just to say -- pass the albergue (on your left). At the first traffic circle with a crucifix in the middle, turn left (sign pointing to Peñalba). Very shortly you will see the first Camino Invierno mojón. Here are some google street shots.

After passing the albergue, here is the hut on the right side where Invierno info is available. Do not follow the shell sign to the right. Go further to that little traffic circle where there is a crucifix, and turn left.

Screenshot 2017-08-21 09.10.26 - Copy.png

Screenshot 2017-08-21 09.07.46.png

Hello,
Im currently in Léon on the Frances and will switch to the Invierno once I get to ponferrada...
But I have a few questions and I hope someone who previously walked the camino could answer....

1- I know a heads up is recommended but can it be on the same day? Or is it better if I do it the day before?

2- I think the guide on this forum is great, but does anyone know if I can find further help in ponferrada? I heard a guidebook was recently printed in english (can it be found in ponferrada?) and perhaps if they have altitude maps...

And just a belated "buen camino", Fares. There is a bunch of Invierno fans on the forum, and we will all be looking forward to hearing how it goes for you, whether in real time or when you have finished. I continue to be surprised that there doesn't seem to be a big burst of pilgrims on this route, now that it is an "official" camino, but if you are looking for solitude and beauty, you are going to the right place!

I don't know if you are planning to stay in Torre Vilarino, which is a very nice casa rural in between Monforte de Lemos and Quiroga, but if you do, don't miss the chance to walk to what seems to be the most iconic viewing spot of the Sil River. It's only a km or so away, and I am still kicking myself that I missed it. This google images search shows a couple of good pictures of the view. https://www.google.com/search?q=cab...iazMXVAhWD34MKHVhOASAQsAQIJw&biw=1920&bih=950

Buen camino, and one last thing for now -- if you use the forum guide, feel free to send updates, criticisms, corrections, clarifications, etc. to me via the forum. I haven't gotten any comments yet this year at all, so I am not sure how we will be able to do an update for 2018 without them!

And just a belated "buen camino", Fares. There is a bunch of Invierno fans on the forum, and we will all be looking forward to hearing how it goes for you, whether in real time or when you have finished. I continue to be surprised that there doesn't seem to be a big burst of pilgrims on this route, now that it is an "official" camino, but if you are looking for solitude and beauty, you are going to the right place!

I don't know if you are planning to stay in Torre Vilarino, which is a very nice casa rural in between Monforte de Lemos and Quiroga, but if you do, don't miss the chance to walk to what seems to be the most iconic viewing spot of the Sil River. It's only a km or so away, and I am still kicking myself that I missed it. This google images search shows a couple of good pictures of the view. https://www.google.com/search?q=cab...iazMXVAhWD34MKHVhOASAQsAQIJw&biw=1920&bih=950

Buen camino, and one last thing for now -- if you use the forum guide, feel free to send updates, criticisms, corrections, clarifications, etc. to me via the forum. I haven't gotten any comments yet this year at all, so I am not sure how we will be able to do an update for 2018 without them!
The river looks beautiful from that spot :eek:
Thank you again for everything! Ill be using the guide on the forum and ill let you know about any update or comment!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe it's so well written that you won't have to, Laurie ;)

But, K1, think of how much fun we have obsessing about some of the little details. It's great fun during the dark of winter. And there are still a few rough spots in there, though I think we can say we have figured out the exit from Lalin and a few other nagging issues. ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Unfortunately the map I made and posted above is wrong; mea culpa.
However Monforte de Lemos on the Invierno is indeed south of Samos monastery. One could 'wing' a walk there in 2 days.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wanted to thank everyone for all the help and comments! Im not on the Sanabres but I'll post and update about my camino (with some comments on the invierno)
The guide on this forum is pretty much the only resource you need :p so thanks to Laurie and everyone who has contributed in writing it :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...
Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back