Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino *Finally*, the Invierno

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm SO seriously thinking of walking this Camino in October!
You will completely love it, Sabine. Go!
This is even nicer than the Vasco (even though the food is not as posh).
And the chestnut trees will be dressed in their autumn finery, so As Medulas will be unbelievably gorgeous.

You will completely love it, Sabine. Go!
This is even nicer than the Vasco (even though the food is not as posh).
And the chestnut trees will be dressed in their autumn finery, so As Medulas will be unbelievably gorgeous.

The extra cost of accomodation is something I will have to take into consideration.
And I only have two weeks off in autumn so I might leave this one till spring 2020.
But yes, it is definitely on the list.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Finito.
Finally, my feet bring me back to the plaza before the cathedral, with its summertime crowds.

This is the gentlest entry into the city - starting with walking up out of the fog from Ponte Ulla through eucalyptus so tall their tops were in the sun; past Pico Sacra and gathering suburbs, eventually down to the Ermita of Santa Lucia. Then up another ancient road, through a landscape that could be from days ago, in the middle of nowhere: the road graciously threads its way up between two hills, past apses of young chestnuts and through an oak woodland. Once at the top, reality is completely revealed. Suddenly you're under a multi-lane freeway looking straight on at the Citaudad de Cultura. Around the corner and there are the beautiful spires of the cathedral ahead, reached by walking down and up through quiet Sunday steets, until finally meeting the throngs in the old city.
And then thanksgiving.

The whole day was that, actually. Many times a lump formed in my throat as I walked, for countless things large and small - for support that makes this possibele, for the great kindness of the people along the way, and for safe deliverance to its end.

Thank you all for your messages and support, everyone - they have meant a lot. I was afraid I would struggle 'out there,' but this way was only a deepening in joy. If you also have an inner Chicken Little...well, if I can, you can.

Buen camino a todos! And heartfelt greetings from Santiago.
"The sorry relief of arrival..."
Hi Vira,
I know this is late (you're no doubt home & trying to re-settle as I am...)...but I've only just been able to catch up with your postings.
Congratulations; not only on your accomplishment & safe arrival but on your ability to convey the experience & the emotions the trail evokes. Your photos are stunning but you really don't need them...your words capture it beautifully on their own.
Sempre avanti!
👣 🌏

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@kazrobbo, you know more deeply than the rest of us those places in the heart that the road touches.
Thank you for your kind post...and I hope you have having a smooth re-settling into life at home. Your VF posts were so inspiring, wonderful to read. Thank you for sharing them with all of us!

@kazrobbo, you know more deeply than the rest of us those places in the heart that the road touches.
Thank you for your kind post...and I hope you have having a smooth re-settling into life at home. Your VF posts were so inspiring, wonderful to read. Thank you for sharing them with all of us!
I know it's not easy to write of your experiences. Yep, we can all say 'turn left here' or 'go over the bridge' etc but writing how you feel or the impact the trail has on you, especially in a public forum, is a different matter. Thankfully this is a supportive environment with an appreciative audience who 'get it'.
Sharing our experiences shows others (especially women) there really is nothing to be afraid of walking solo.
You're an example of overcoming fears & giving it a go & I bet you wouldn't swap your Invierno experience for anything. Plus by writing about it (& your photos...I still can't believe you took them with a mobile phone!) you've brought enjoyment, encouragement & inspiration to others.
As for Chicken Little?..that's just a children's fable. You're braver & stronger than you think you are; & the sky will not fall no matter what...although the heavens may open more than we'd prefer! 😄
👣 🌏

Last edited:
@VNwalking on a whim I have just read this thread - I wasn't going to because I like to leave surprises for the walk, but something drew me to this one and I'm so glad I did. For many reasons:
1. I had been thinking I would not take photos on my next camino and would just sketch - but you changed my mind!
2. The Invierno was just going to be a tack on to the real camino - the Levante, but I can see I have far more wonder in store than I deserve.
3. I may need to walk some long Levante stages so i can dawdle through the Invierno!
4. In fact, although I had my heart set on a Coast to Coast camino (Valencia to Muxia), if I run out of time I can see I will be happy to stop in Santiago.
5. I had been thinking I might not blog, but seeing as I will be walking at the same time as you, I can just copy and paste your descriptions of each day! (I'll reference them properly - no plagiarism!)
6. I've now got Wikiloc on my phone. Thanks for your track.
7. My Invierno spreadsheet notes are now very full!

Thanks so much and I really look forward to ambling in your footsteps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kia ora, @Kiwi-family , and thank you for your kind words!
It's guaranteed that your experience will be different than mine, but I sure hope you have the gorgeous weather I did! @Albertagirl and @timr got to walk in biblical quantities of water and it sounded intense. Not much fun at all! But rain or shine, the history and landscape here...just wow.

And @kazrobbo, I have to admit to blushing. I'll try not to let it go to my head... :oops:
And you're right, completely. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. You can intellectually know fear is silly but there it is. The only way out of it is to dive in and meet it. I want to give a heartfelt thanks to @peregrina2000 - she not only encouraged me to just go, but also inspired by example. Gracias amiga!

Last edited:
I don't tend to do this...but today (because someone noticed a post) I reread what I'd written - and it all came back. From the distance of 8 months' time it's clear that I'm still digesting whatever happened as I walked this amazing camino. Something profound happened here step by step, and while there's no need to try to describe it or figure out what it is, what I can say is that it manifests as pure joy and gratitude.

And feeling particularly fortunate in my timing. I am imagining all of you out there right now, facing the collision of uncertainty and plans. And hoping that your caminos happen just as planned. And if it's this camino you plan to walk, may it be as heart and mind opening as mine was!

I don't tend to do this...but today (because someone noticed a post) I reread what I'd written - and it all came back. From the distance of 8 months' time it's clear that I'm still digesting whatever happened as I walked this amazing camino. Something profound happened here step by step, and while there's no need to try to describe it or figure out what it is, what I can say is that it manifests as pure joy and gratitude.

And feeling particularly fortunate in my timing. I am imagining all of you out there right now, facing the collision of uncertainty and plans. And hoping that your caminos happen just as planned. And if it's this camino you plan to walk, may it be as heart and mind opening as mine was!
Guess where I'll be this week?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Your post prompted me to reread some of mine as well. I'm happy I wrote during this camino - all these months later, the Invierno lingers and I think of it often. I found a new kind of deeply connected, emotional and physical strength during the walk that continues to be confirmed since. I too remain so grateful for those days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Did your credential catch up to you?
Amazingly, yes!
I was almost sure it was at Torre Vilariño, so I rang...and no luck.

Then @Theatregal stayed there several days later and she asked, too. But no. So I thought that instead it had fallen by the wayside when I stopped to take a photo - and was sure it was gone for good.

But then some time after that, @peregrina2000 stayed there asked again...and she had the magic juju. VOILA!
So, big-time happy dancing was happening...
🥳🤩😭🥳😄

Did I say? This Forum is amazing.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
One of the really useful things about your report, is that it shows that for those of us who like shorter stages, this route is still possible.

One of the really wonderful things about your report, is that it is beautifully written.

Amazingly, yes!
I was almost sure it was at Torre Vilariño, so I rang...and no luck.

Then @Theatregal stayed there several days later and she asked, too. But no. So I thought that instead it had fallen by the wayside when I stopped to take a photo - and was sure it was gone for good.

But then some time after that, @peregrina2000 stayed there asked again...and she had the magic juju. VOILA!
So, big-time happy dancing was happening...
🥳🤩😭🥳😄

Did I say? This Forum is amazing.
So great to have at least some forum posts today that make me smile! That was one beautiful golden moment!

That was one beautiful golden moment!
Of all the credencials I have this means the most. So how precious and wonderful to have it back! I was very sad when I realized it was missing...and so when you went "Tadaaaa!!!" it was suuuuuch a delicious moment. The best present ever, Laurie. THANK YOU!

One of the really useful things about your report, is that it shows that for those of us who like shorter stages, this route is still possible.
Plenty of people have done even shorter stages, so yes, it's completely possible. I was really lollygagging, because it was so worth savoring - and because I don't like to book ahead and here there was no pressure to get anywhere before the 'completo' signs come out.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For anyone who is going to join the Invierno Zooms tomorrow and/or Thursday, may I recommend this account — not for its practical details (the forum guide does that), but rather for a chance to see the Invierno through the eyes of someone whose prose describes the beauty in ways most of us can’t. This is probably the most beautiful account of the Invierno I’ve read. @VNwalking joins @alansykes as someone who can capture so much of why we walk less-traveled caminos. But, as @VN and others have noted, the Invierno is very unlikely to retains its description as “less-traveled” for long. I know I know, I have been saying this since my first Invierno in 2011, but I think it is finally going to happen!

Buen camino, Laurie

For anyone who is going to join the Invierno Zooms tomorrow and/or Thursday, may I recommend this account — not for its practical details (the forum guide does that), but rather for a chance to see the Invierno through the eyes of someone whose prose describes the beauty in ways most of us can’t. This is probably the most beautiful account of the Invierno I’ve read. @VNwalking joins @alansykes as someone who can capture so much of why we walk less-traveled caminos. But, as @VN and others have noted, the Invierno is very unlikely to retains its description as “less-traveled” for long. I know I know, I have been saying this since my first Invierno in 2011, but I think it is finally going to happen!

Buen camino, Laurie
Sorry, but where do I join the Zoom tomorrow?

Sorry, but where do I join the Zoom tomorrow?
For the Americas, Europe and Africa the best session to attend has details on the thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/invierno-zoom-for-americas-and-europe-wed-june-3-—-2-pm-central-us-time-5-gmt.67749/

The link to click to connect to Zoom is near the bottom.

The session intended for Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Oceania and early evening in the Americas is discussed on thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/invierno-zoom-for-americas-and-asia-aus-nz-—-thursday-june-4-—-8-pm-central-time-usa-5-gmt.67750/

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
For anyone who is going to join the Invierno Zooms tomorrow and/or Thursday, may I recommend this account
Aw, gee.... :oops:
I'm both embarrassed and touched by your kind words, Laurie. Thank you!
To be put in the same sentence with Alan is high praise indeed. If he is walking and sharing, I always want to read what he has to say, even if that camino isn't on my list.
I do wish had written more when he walked this camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back