• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finishing my Camino and feeling incomplete.

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2024
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back home. We fly out back home first thing tomorrow morning.This whole experience feels so surreal. Like I am in the audience looking in. It’s really making me sad. It’s kind of depressing me. This Camino was a spiritual journey for me. The 2 weeks was not enough for me. I typically cannot stay away from my kids and grandchildren and like/depend on my daily routine life at home. I can honestly say I don’t miss anyone back home. Anyone ever feel like this?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have you tried walking to Finisterre?

Just kidding. I'll reply later when I have some time

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What you are feeling is well-known.
It is named "Camino Blues".
While walking on the Camino, our life is changing dramatically. We talk to people we would never had talked otherwise, and our needs become very simple: where to sleep ? what to eat ? where is the Camino ?
Returning back to real life can be difficult.
My advice is to prepare another Camino and to reach Fisterra/Muxia next time.

Don’t worry. Soon as you get back you’ll cheer up bc you’ll have heaps of stories to tell friends and family and then you’ll start planning your next camino. Yes, what you’re describing is not uncommon. The camino is special but then so is home! Just enjoy both and if the camino pulls you back one day, great!

Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back home.
Hi Yep!
I walked Leon to Santiago and then Fisterra to Muxia in September last year was i done NO!
If i could have i would have kept walking.
I love my kids very very much, we whats app every day; did i want to go home No!

Is it anxiety you feel or sadness that it's over this time.

On the last evenings of both my walks i have gone and sat in the square in front of the Cathedral and thought, back to reality which is mundane, not an adventure, not new!

You will probs get home like me and think ;i 'll start planning the next one.

You will i hope find that the way has been more than you ever imagined; joy..
As a sad old s*d with a childs mind i look at my Camino tattoo's and think ;i did that cos the memory seems surreal!
The Camino is there let's hope it sees you again
Buen Camino
Woody

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What you are feeling is well-known.
It is named "Camino Blues".
While walking on the Camino, our life is changing dramatically. We talk to people we would never had talked otherwise, and our needs become very simple: where to sleep ? what to eat ? where is the Camino ?
Returning back to real life can be difficult.
My advice is to prepare another Camino and to reach Fisterra/Muxia next time.
Thank you. I didn’t realize the impact. I knew my life would be changed. I just didn’t know how to describe how. But you are so right. Daily life back home it’s about work and responsibilities and walking the Camino you are spot on, our needs did become so basic.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Yep!
I walked Leon to Santiago and then Fisterra to Muxia in September last year was i done NO!
If i could have i would have kept walking.
I love my kids very very much, we whats app every day; did i want to go home No!

Is it anxiety you feel or sadness that it's over this time.

On the last evenings of both my walks i have gone and sat in the square in front of the Cathedral and thought, back to reality which is mundane, not an adventure, not new!

You will probs get home like me and think ;i 'll start planning the next one.

You will i hope find that the way has been more than you ever imagined; joy..
As a sad old s*d with a childs mind i look at my Camino tattoo's and think ;i did that cos the memory seems surreal!
The Camino is there let's hope it sees you again
Buen Camino
Woody
Thank you! ♥️

Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back home. We fly out back home first thing tomorrow morning.This whole experience feels so surreal. Like I am in the audience looking in. It’s really making me sad. It’s kind of depressing me. This Camino was a spiritual journey for me. The 2 weeks was not enough for me. I typically cannot stay away from my kids and grandchildren and like/depend on my daily routine life at home. I can honestly say I don’t miss anyone back home. Anyone ever feel like this?
Yes, we know the feeling and its why my lovely spouse and I are heading back for our third Camino, and a third different route. Take a child or grandchild with you next trip. Our only regret is that we did not discover this wonder earlier in life to take our children. Our daughter did join us last Camino and what a joy to spend a month with her. Schedules for working children are difficult at best, but gap years, graduations and job changes open windows, and even 10 days vacation can be life changing and introduce them to the joy and simplicity of the Camino. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I told a friend who joined us in Sarria after we’d walked from SJPP when he had similar feelings that he felt incomplete because he’d finished but he hadn’t begun. Begun what is up to each of us. So, as many have already said, it’s a common feeling. Continue to ask yourself why you feel that way. As an aside, you may wake up for a while and feel like you need to get going. Congrats, the Camino doesn’t end in Santiago if you don’t want it to.

Anyone ever feel like this?
Hey! While in Santiago, check in with the gang at the Pilgrim House! They are there for support and to help with debriefing, as well as readjustment to the extent they can! I'm volunteering there later this summer and really looking forward to it!

Gary

Hey! While in Santiago, check in with the gang at the Pilgrim House! They are there for support and to help with debriefing, as well as readjustment to the extent they can! I'm volunteering there later this summer and really looking forward to it!

Gary
Unfortunately I am already on my way home. I would have loved to check in at Pilgrim House. Hopefully someone else who could use this info will see this.. thanks Gary!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Gary
Definitely a good idea.

Here's their website:

Many people have reported feeling the same. Some find that starting to plan for the next Camino helps. Others look towards carrying the lessons and approach of their Camino (e.g. being present in the moment, recognizing that one step after another will eventually get you there) into their daily life at home. Some try both.

Don’t worry. Soon as you get back you’ll cheer up bc you’ll have heaps of stories to tell friends and family and then you’ll start planning your next camino. Yes, what you’re describing is not uncommon. The camino is special but then so is home! Just enjoy both and if the camino pulls you back one day, great!
Some of us find that it isn't long before the eyes of friends and family start to glaze over when you try and share your heaps of stories. That's where forums like this, or local pilgrim groups, come in.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sorry to have missed you, @cbeckham! Congratulations on finishing and yes, it's totally normal to feel a bit "lost" and disoriented once you've arrived in Santiago, especially when you have to turn around pretty quickly and head home. Hopefully you can make it back to the Camino soon!

Just a note that if you visit the Pilgrim House website, we have debriefing/journaling guides in different languages: https://www.pilgrimhousesantiago.com/post-camino-reflection-guides

It's a one-page list of questions to help you reflect on your Camino. You can use these questions to journal or discuss with someone else. Perhaps you'll find them helpful.

Take care and we all hope settling in at home goes well!

@cbeckham , I, too, suffer the Camino blues. I don't think I've ever seen it written more clearly than the beautiful thread from @andonius :

@Peterexpatkiwi thank you for the link to @andonius post. It really helps to see that I am not alone with how I feel. To be honest, i was a bit concerned as I did not understand what or why I was feeling like this. When I talk about my journey I tear up. I’m sure time will take care of this.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Peterexpatkiwi thank you for the link to @andonius post. It really helps to see that I am not alone with how I feel. To be honest, i was a bit concerned as I did not understand what or why I was feeling like this. When I talk about my journey I tear up. I’m sure time will take care of this.
You're very welcome. There's many excellent posts on here that express things quite well, however that particular post just absolutely nailed it for me.

Believe me, as you will see from the responses you've already had so far - you are most definitely not alone.

Yes, time will take care of it - you'll start planning the next one...

I had to walk to recover from the loss of my daughter. That time with myself became the salve and the time to talk to myself. I miss that time in everyday when I think about her, talk to her, solve other problems, and fix my life. My son is a triathlete and tells me the aftermath of these huge efforts does leave you adrift. You deflate, the build up and the drive, the joy of the arrival- and then flat. But it cannot go on forever- neither the walk nor the depression- you take what you have experienced and apply the new attitude to how you want to be. There’s can always be another Camino- I don’t know what I will do next- but I will find something again. Good luck

I had to walk to recover from the loss of my daughter. That time with myself became the salve and the time to talk to myself. I miss that time in everyday when I think about her, talk to her, solve other problems, and fix my life. My son is a triathlete and tells me the aftermath of these huge efforts does leave you adrift. You deflate, the build up and the drive, the joy of the arrival- and then flat. But it cannot go on forever- neither the walk nor the depression- you take what you have experienced and apply the new attitude to how you want to be. There’s can always be another Camino- I don’t know what I will do next- but I will find something again. Good luck
I’m so sorry for the loss of your daughter. I hope you find some comfort.. I will be walking again to try to find some sort of completeness. I never imagined the impact it would have on me. I walked for 2 weeks thinking “why am I not feeling anything” then BAM! Out of nowhere I felt everything, the loss, sadness, incompleteness, because of this, I will walk again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think it's safe to say that most of us (if not all of us) feel a bit overwhelmed when we finish our Caminos. I bet even the most hardened Veterans still get a small pang of "can't believe it is done"...
Camino gets undet your skin; it grabs a hold if you and does not let go. By all means start planning the next one- it may help to pass the blues.
I cannot tell you how many people I told to that they should go on it, for the change is amazing. Sometimes it stares us in the face from the get go, sometimes it's not easily noticeable for a while; the "Camino provides" long after we left the Frances trek. Like @Pafayac said - its not the end but a beginning...
I guess I will finish my musings by suggesting to take all the lessons you've learned while walking and figure out how to apply them in "real" everyday life.
Good luck and Buen Camino

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.