• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

That ‘first camino feeling’

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
This popped up in my memories today so I thought I’d share it. It’s from six years ago today as Wendy and I were in O Pedrouzo about to finish the Camino Francés. Ah, to have that ‘first camino feeling’ again!

Camino de Santiago, Day 38. For most of the last 38 days, the mythical city of Santiago de Compostela has been so far away that it has barely been worth contemplating as our destination. No matter how far we walked, it never seemed to get any closer; on the contrary, one day we saw a sign that said it was 565km away and two days later another sign said it was 580km away.

But we trudged on anyway, faithfully following yellow arrows over mountains and bridges, alongside rivers and roads, and through forests and vineyards and 180 consecutive kilometres of wheat fields, some days in searing heat and others in driving rain. And in doing so we learned what we had already suspected: that the Camino de Santiago is the very epitome of the goal being the journey itself, rather than the destination.

But there is still a destination, after all, and we approach it both in anticipation at the prospect of finally arriving and with more than a little sadness knowing that our path will soon end, because Santiago de Compostela, which doesn't seem quite so mythical anymore, is now only one day's walk away.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I Often drift off into Camino memories when looking thru my photos. Never walked into Santiago with anybody else but like to be there and watch people arrive for that first time.

I do recall a sense of accomplishment when I was up at the statues on Monte de Gozo the first time looking at the spires. I had wondered whether I would make it, it all seemed so far away.

The journey is the Camino for me, much as the other pilgrims are often the best and at times the worst thing about the trek. Reminding myself to not get bothered about the behavior of others is what I try and instill in myself.

Thanks for the ponder, nicely put. A good reminder

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The real caminho feeling is the Way, not the arrival. . I understand your feeling of sadness arriving in Santiago What now? It is over.
But in the meantime you and many of us know by now what is the medicine against this sadness, walk another caminho

For most of the last 38 days, the mythical city of Santiago de Compostela has been so far away that it has barely been worth contemplating as our destination. No matter how far we walked, it never seemed to get any closer;
All too familiar! On my walk from Canterbury to Rome a friend sent me a message asking how far I had come and how far I had left to go. I had to reply that I didn't know either part and I had deliberately not been recording my daily distances. On a 2,000km walk the distance covered each day barely registers on the map and it would have been very off-putting to track it! :)

Thank you for your post. I reply from a different angle: right now it is my absolute privilege to witness pilgrims either just beginning, or having walked almost 1000km. No matter whether the pilgrim stops, or strides on without even glancing at the open door of the church, or stays overnight, it renews my own growing awareness on my first camino of what you say: "And in doing so we learned what we had already suspected: that the Camino de Santiago is the very epitome of the goal being the journey itself, rather than the destination."

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Love your post @jungleboy. I have clear memories of arriving in SdeC for the first time, in October 2011. I just took a look at my journal from that day. This is one paragraph.

‘There's no fanfare here. No finish line. People just walking in on their own, like me, or in pairs or groups. Some go in to the Cathedral or directly to the pilgrims' office to receive their Compostela or just wander around the plaza. But today, with the wind and rain, the plaza was almost deserted. It felt just right to me. If ever there was an experience that is all about the journey and not the destination - The Camino is it.’

Four days later, having walked on to Finisterre, then taken the bus back to SdeC, I wrote a long journal entry that ended with this paragraph.

‘Some 'pilgrims' say that walking the Camino changed them or changed their lives. I don't know if that is - or will be - true for me. I guess it's too early to say. But The Camino gives you many opportunities every day to give and receive kindness, compassion and laughter - and that's a gift - and it reminds you every day of life lessons you've already learned but have forgotten or 'misplaced'. One new lesson I learned is that I am much stronger - physically and emotionally - than I imagined. And most days I think The Camino brought out the best in me. So that's not a bad outcome, just for putting one foot in front of the other, taking one day at a time, one step at a time.

Twelve years on, I feel the same way. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Love yours too! :)

Oh but how it did change your life in the end! 👫🇫🇷
Oh that’s cheeky. In more ways than one - but in one way that was totally unexpected and serendipitous’ as you know 😍 That life change did not begin to unfold until Camino #3 … but if there wasn’t a first Camino, there wouldn’t have been another and another and …. so it continues 😎😎🎒🎒❤️❤️

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you, Jungleboy. A nice post. I just went back to the blog for our first camino and found this that my husband wrote, below. One thing he brought up was that when we got near the end it was harder for us to just be on the journey, in the moment. This was his post.

We are still processing the fact that we have finished the Camino and what it all means.

When I walk to the store it is all about the destination, the walk is just the means. When I take a walk around the neighborhood it is all about the journey, there is no destination as such. Originally the Camino was mostly about the destination, to get to Santiago, to show your faith in God, to get the indulgence. The journey was significant only in that it was hard and a sacrifice and was a penance for your sins. For us, the Camino was all about the journey. We liked the day-to-day rhythms. We liked the fact that each day, each little town, each kilometer was different and interesting. We liked seeing the small towns and how the people lived. You can see things walking that you can´t see any other way. In this sense it was travel, a vacation.

Travel involves endless decisions, where to stay, where to eat, when to stop, etc. The biggest thing we learned was not to try to optimize every decisión, to accept what we got.

We also liked the rhythm: every day you get up, put on the pack and walk. It was always fun to get started. It was nice to be done at the end of the day.

Getting close to Santiago changes things. The destination becomes more important. It hit me when we had four days to go. They were all planned out. In a way we weren´t on the Camino anymore but walking to Santiago. I could not feel the day to day any more, it was all about the destination. I guess this is what all pilgrims feel when they get close to Santiago. It changes the trip. Another thing to learn on the Camino.

Some of these posts echo my experience that the longer the walk, in distance and therefore days, the more I am in the present, just focused on one day at a time. The end point is way in the distance and doesn’t intrude. We have a 1000+ km Camino coming up later this year - touch wood - the longest since 2016. I can’t wait. I’m mindful that it’s a gift to have the time, health, resources and freedom from responsibilities to walk a long Camino. Not everyone gets that opportunity even once in a lifetime. 🙏

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
asking how far I had come and how far I had left to go. I had to reply that I didn't know either part and I had deliberately not been recording my daily distances.
I know exactly what you mean. On my first camino i deliberately only had a vague idea of the kms i was clocking up until one night I received an email from a dear friend with warmest wishes because I had just walked past my half way point. It was so thoughtful. But i found myself equal parts surprised at the distance I’d walked and disappointed that I now knew 😞

After my first Camino in 2017, having spent a couple of days in Santiago, the last entry in my little, green notebook reads: “I must say that I feel a bit worn, I think I’m ready to go home. I wonder if I’ll ever do this again?”

In about a month, I’ll start on my 4th/5th Camino. Well, what do you know? :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Santiago de Compostela, which doesn't seem quite so mythical anymore, is now only one day's walk away

My first entry into Santiago de Compostela was the fifth days after starting from Sarria in July 2009.

In many ways I had been on a pilgrimage for over a fortnight before, travelling the battlefields, and cemeteries for my country folk of nearly 100 years before.

For all those reasons I stayed on for four days to wind down from all of that.

When I next arrived, in late October 2017, I stayed one night before going to Fisterra by bus to complete a personal task by the ocean. But returned to be present for the festival mass for All Saints Day. And what a commemoration that was for both the Cathedral community and me personally. By mid afternoon the same day I was on a plane bound for family in London.

I agree with you, @jungleboy, a return can demystify.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

This popped up in my memories today so I thought I’d share it. It’s from six years ago today as Wendy and I were in O Pedrouzo about to finish the Camino Francés. Ah, to have that ‘first camino feeling’ again!

Camino de Santiago, Day 38. For most of the last 38 days, the mythical city of Santiago de Compostela has been so far away that it has barely been worth contemplating as our destination. No matter how far we walked, it never seemed to get any closer; on the contrary, one day we saw a sign that said it was 565km away and two days later another sign said it was 580km away.

But we trudged on anyway, faithfully following yellow arrows over mountains and bridges, alongside rivers and roads, and through forests and vineyards and 180 consecutive kilometres of wheat fields, some days in searing heat and others in driving rain. And in doing so we learned what we had already suspected: that the Camino de Santiago is the very epitome of the goal being the journey itself, rather than the destination.

But there is still a destination, after all, and we approach it both in anticipation at the prospect of finally arriving and with more than a little sadness knowing that our path will soon end, because Santiago de Compostela, which doesn't seem quite so mythical anymore, is now only one day's walk away.
I just have to share a memory from my walk on the Via Podiensis. Most beautiful
walk by the way.
In Cahors I met a young British woman who was travelling around the world with her large backpack. She accidentally heard about the pilgrim walk when she was in Porto and decided to try it.
Arriving in Santiago she wasn't done yet, so she continued on the Camino Frances all the way to SJPdP. From there she went on to Cahors and was going to continue a few days towards Le Puy en Velay before catching a BlaBlaCar to Nantes to visit friends.
She spent most of the nights camping and cooking her own food. I think her backpack was well over 15 Kg.
I'd love to do something like that before getting too old. Just have to plan for three full months on the Camino. I'm 71 now, preparing for my next 3 weeks on the Camino Norte.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The real caminho feeling is the Way, not the arrival. . I understand your feeling of sadness arriving in Santiago What now? It is over.
But in the meantime you and many of us know by now what is the medicine against this sadness, walk another caminho
Well said. That is the reason I am going back next year! 🏃‍♀️

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.