• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino, April

Janet P

Time of past OR future Camino
April ('16)
Super excited! Bought my plane ticket last week!
I will be arriving in Madrid on March 27th and making my way to SJPP to start on either March 31 or April 1.
I read somewhere that the Napolean Route from SJPP is closed until April 1, regardless of weather conditions. Can someone tell me if that is accurate? I know if the weather is bad I will take the Valcarlos Route, but if I am feeling rested and ready, I might leave SJPP on March 31.
Also, is a water filter or SteriPen advisable at all the fonts that John Bierley mentions filling up at?
Thanks for this forum! So much great information. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome Janet. I don't think you need a steripen. If you have any doubts about the fountain water just fill up at the local cafes or bars or buy some, its very cheap in Spain.
The Napoleon is closed until April 1st but even after that take the advice from the Pilgrim Office on conditions.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

Yes, it is correct, the high road' over the pyrenees is closed from November to March (inclusive) in all cases and depending on the weather situation that might be extended. No water filter or similar needed on the CF, you can buy bottled water pretty much everywhere (if you prefer that), have your water bottle refilled in a bar with tap water (safe, but sometimes not too tasty) and even use the fountains (as long as they are marked aqua potable/drinkable water). The water in the fountains can be a bit heavy with chlorine but is usually safe to drink. Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We always fill up our water bottles at the fountains. Please do not buy bottled water. Do the maths and work out how many plastic bottles would be discarded if every pilgrim (up to 250,000 a year) bought two 500 ml bottles a day for the 32 days of their pilgrimage. Spain is a first world country and has great tap water.

Hope you're enjoying your planning! I'll be behind you by two weeks for my first Camino. I'm also from Southern California (Ventura), but now live in Virginia. Buen Camino!

I know if the weather is bad I will take the Valcarlos Route, but if I am feeling rested and ready, I might leave SJPP on March 31.
. :)

Hi Janet
Enjoy every moment of your Camino.
I see you are going to have a look around Madrid before you hop across to Sjpdp

You will find Sjpdp worthy of at least a day.
I wouldn't want to rush out of there. I know you are excited and eager to be on you way, But think about it when you get there - it is a gorgeous French village and you may wish later you'd taken that extra time to look around while you were there.
Buen Camino
Annie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Janet

I wouldn't want to rush out of there. I know you are excited and eager to be on you way, But think about it when you get there - it is a gorgeous French village and you may wish later you'd taken that extra time to look around while you were there.
Buen Camino
Annie

I too thought I would spend a day and a night in SJPP, but honestly, if you are going to stay at Orisson--which you may not, as Napoleon is closed until April 1-- you should just look around SJPP until mid morning, then start crossing (to stay at Orisson). Otherwise, I will mention that I stayed a day and night in SJPP and it was too long for a solo traveler. I found myself wishing that I had started my journey, especially as the weather was beautiful on 1 Oct and then significantly deteriorated on 2 October...Just something to think about!

Hi Janet

Buen Camino
Annie
Thank you OzAnnie. I love visitin France and since this is all I get this trip your suggestion is a good idea. Buen Camino!

I too thought I would spend a day and a night in SJPP, but honestly, if you are going to stay at Orisson--which you may not, as Napoleon is closed until April 1-- you should just look around SJPP until mid morning, then start crossing (to stay at Orisson). Otherwise, I will mention that I stayed a day and night in SJPP and it was too long for a solo traveler. I found myself wishing that I had started my journey, especially as the weather was beautiful on 1 Oct and then significantly deteriorated on 2 October...Just something to think about!
CaminoDebra, now understanding that route is closed until April 1st the weather will decide for me.
I was planning on going all the way to Roncesvillas. Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We always fill up our water bottles at the fountains. Please do not buy bottled water. Do the maths and work out how many plastic bottles would be discarded if every pilgrim (up to 250,000 a year) bought two 500 ml bottles a day for the 32 days of their pilgrimage. Spain is a first world country and has great tap water.
Yes Marbuck, I agree. I have been learning about all the trash left behind by peregrinos and saddened. I have also been pondering trying to do some trash pickup as I walk. I will have to see how my energy goes since this is my first, but I hope to leave the Camino cleaner then when I get there.

Janet: My girlfriend and I are going to be about a day or two behind you. Were starting on or near 02 April 2016 from SJPP. Perhaps we will meet. it is our first Camino.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.