• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First camino in July, travelling from Manchester UK?

Hi everyone

I am planning to walk the camino for a week in July. I live near Manchester UK and I am finding it difficult to sort out the best way to get there. I only have a week and I want to finish in Santiago. Any suggestions anyone? your help would be much appreciated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Frank,

Welcome to the Forum!

What about walking the Camino Ingles from Ferrol to Santiago? It would fit your time period nicely. You might fly from Manchester to O Coruna and then take a taxi to start at Ferrol . Check this handy Rome2Rio web for more info regarding flights. For useful info in Spanish regarding the Camino Ingles use this Mundicamino site.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks Margaret

do you think I should book accommodation along the route in advance or can I find accommodation on the day when I arrive in the different towns? Apologies for the basic questions, I am sure when I get used to the forum I will find all the answers I am looking for

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Frank and welcome to the forum. You will find loads of information in the Camino Ingles section on travel to & fro, accommodation etc. The beloved and me walked last autumn and stayed mainly inthe municipal Albergues, no need to book, (can't book anyway :)). You'll find lots of references to Johnnie Walker's excellent guidebook too, highly recommended!

There is a regular bus service from A Coruna to Ferrol so you may not need to stump for a taxi unless your timings are very tight and there is a regular service from Santiago back to A Coruna so you get to review your route from a comfy seat.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Hi Frank and welcome to the forum. You will find loads of information in the Camino Ingles section on travel to & fro, accommodation etc. The beloved and me walked last autumn and stayed mainly inthe municipal Albergues, no need to book, (can't book anyway :)). You'll find lots of references to Jonnie Walker's excellent guidebook too, highly recommended!

There is a regular bus service from A Coruna to Ferrol so you may not need to stump for a taxi unless your timings are very tight and there is a regular service from Santiago back to A Coruna so you get to review your route from a comfy seat.

Buen Camino

Thanks Tincatinker, having just done a quick bit of research, I think I will fly from Stansted to Santiago (direct). Does that have any bearing on where I should start my camino given I want to finish in Santiago. Apologies again from the novice!!

That gives you the scope to 1) bus to Ferrol and walk back to Santiago on the Ingles, 2) walk the Santiago - Muxia - Fisterra - Santiago loop, or, 3) make your way to Sarria and walk back to Santiago along the Frances. All wonderful routes. Each special in its own way. Personally I would avoid the Frances in July but that is my choice.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That gives you the scope to 1) bus to Ferrol and walk back to Santiago on the Ingles, 2) walk the Santiago - Muxia - Fisterra - Santiago loop, or, 3) make your way to Sarria and walk back to Santiago along the Frances. All wonderful routes. Each special in its own way. Personally I would avoid the Frances in July but that is my choice.

Not forgetting that you could take the train to Ourense and walk the last 3-4 stages of the Camino Sanabrés/Via de la Plata. And there's probably some way of doing the last few days of the Caminho Português as well.

I expect it'll be a tad warmer in north western Spain in July than here in our north west of England ...

Hi Frank

In a couple of weeks time I'm doing as Alan suggests and walking from Ourense up to Santiago. I'm flying from Stansted to SdC and getting the bus or train to the start. Be careful about flight times - on some days it seems to depart at 6.30am, but my (Wednesday) flight is at a more reasonable 11.30am. About ÂŁ52 + ÂŁ30 checked bags (optional) return.

I walked the Camino Ingles a couple of years ago and would recommend that as a quiet Camino for those who are reasonably confident about their ability. (It's not that it's particularly tough, just that the options for places to stay are relatively limited if you do want to vary your distances.) I flew from Heathrow to A Coruna with Vueling, but the train from SdC back to A Coruna was only about 50 mins and 12 Euros when I'd finished.

The option of the loop from SdC via Finisterre and Muxia would be good, and I think the Portugues from Tui on the border is less than a week but I could be wrong.

The only really useful flight from Manchester is to Madrid with Ryanair, from where you could get a train or bus to Galicia but it's a long journey. It's great for the middle section of the Frances or Via de la Plata as well as the Camino de Madrid, though. As a Northerner I've got used to the journey to/from the airport generally costing more than the flight. Buen Camino!

I have just booked my flights, arriving in Santiago on Friday 4th July, AM. Can't wait! I am so excited. Can't decide whether to walk from Ferrol or Sarria. I am a people person and I like meeting people so Possibly the camino frances would suit me? I have travelled all over the world but I think this will be the high light so far!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
you'll meet many more pilgrims on the Frances, that's for sure. Either path will offer you a great experience. Buen Camino.

I think in July you'll meet plenty of people on any route, to be honest. The great thing about your plans are that you don't really have to decide which route you walk until you get off the plane (although it's always good to have something to look forward to and prepare for). I'm still not 100% sure about starting in Ourense on my upcoming Camino, and could still opt for the Portugues. Maybe I'm just concerned about being the Johnny-come-lately surrounded by pilgrims who started in Seville! :D

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Gay, I’m new to the forum as I’m walking my first Camino, the Camino Ingles beginning the 20th of June 2024 and wondering if there are any AA meetings along that route
Oh oh oh, After more then seven and a half weeks of rain in Belgium and France, last week weather is better, I walked into Irun today! 🙏 Feels like the last nine weeks my life was in a fridge but...
Hi walking the Norte starting in late August. Would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has/is starting in August.
Hi, I’m new to the group as I’m finally hiking my first El Camino this month, El Camino Ingles, beginning June 21, 2024

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back