• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino January 2022

Moondance

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello fellow Pilgrims ,
I have been trying to walk my first Camino for twenty years . I now have a window of opportunity from January 6 thru March 31 2022.
which pilgrim route would be the best to take ? I am sixty one years old and in great shape . Walk many miles every day . I need all the help I can get .
Buen Camino
Moondance

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you are in good shape then there are many caminos open to you, to pick between them (and get good advice) you should figure out how long you would like to walk for, company vs solitude, flat vs hilly, coastal vs inland, long stages vs short stages, how willing you are to put up with bad weather or plan ahead etc.

Best of luck on whichever one you choose :)

Welcome and buen camino! You have a lot of time so that gives you a lot of options. Typically the Camino Francés (French Way) is recommended for a first camino as this is the 'main' and most popular camino route, with lots of facilities (especially important in winter). You can start at Saint Jean Pied de Port, which is generally considered to be the 'full' camino, or at a larger and easier to reach place like Pamplona, three days' walk towards Santiago from SJPdP. This usually takes about five weeks, so with the extra time you have, you could even start further away in France (e.g. walking the Le Puy route to SJPdP and then to Santiago).

Another option which suits your time and the season is to start in the south of Spain, say at Almería or Málaga, and walk the Camino Mozárabe to Mérida, then continue on the Via de la Plata to Santiago. This might take 50-60 days and it will be warmer, but there will be fewer places to sleep, eat etc.

These are just a couple of options - there are plenty more! Take a look at a map of camino routes, see if anything appeals, and look up further details on this forum or elsewhere to find something that suits you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Moondance,

Be sure to read this earlier thread
on winter walking in general .

In earlier happier times I often walked the Camino Frances in winter. Of course the weather is never the same but the basic route has not changed. Difficult CF stretches after storms might be across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca, Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada as well as Monte Irago and, of course, to and from O Cebreiro.

For any winter camino I stress this bit of info re: carrying food supplies

Wherever you walk in winter
you must be prepared!

Good luck and please do let your forum readers know how your plans evolve.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello fellow Pilgrims ,
I have been trying to walk my first Camino for twenty years . I now have a window of opportunity from January 6 thru March 31 2022.
which pilgrim route would be the best to take ? I am sixty one years old and in great shape . Walk many miles every day . I need all the help I can get .
Buen Camino
Moondance
Hi Moondance
I hope this may be a help to you. I did my first Camino in 2013 at 60. I was pretty fit having been a 14.17 5k runner and a 29.58 10k runner and still running sub-18-minute 5ks at 60. However, walking with a pack day in day out is different. I would set off between 6 and 7 in the morning then walk for 2 hours and stop for breakfast. Having rested for about an hour I would go again for 2 hours and break for lunch. during the lunch hour I would look at my guide and select an alberque for the night up to usually between 5 to a maximum of 8k further on. If you look to average about 4k an hour allowing for your pack and terrain this allows you to cover 20 to 24k a day comfortably with good rest stops. This regime has worked for me on 4 trips now and I find it fairly comfortable.
Buen Camino
Vince

Last edited:
Hello fellow Pilgrims ,
Buen Camino
Moondance
Book one day in advance…

Ultreia🙏🏼

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello fellow Pilgrims ,
Buen Camino
Moondance
My favourite to date…..El Norte in December….

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.