• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino March 13-April 19, 2017

Swim4Gold

Rookie on The Way
Time of past OR future Camino
March 13, 2017
Hey Everyone!

I am going on my first Camino March 13-April 19, 2017 and am quite excited! I have a couple of questions:
1. What kind of weather am I really looking at?
2. How does my packing list look? I am attempting to keep my weight down to 10-15 lbs.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

~Bill

Camino de Santiago Packing List

Pack

Osprey Kestrel 38L

Bag

NEMO Verve 20 Sleeping Bag

Base Layer

1. Patagonia Silk Long Sleeve
  2. Patagonia Caplene Long Sleeve
  3. Adidas Boxer Short
  4. Adidas Boxer Short
  5. Adidas Boxer Short
  6. Darn Tough Marino Wool Socks
  7. Darn Tough Marino Wool Socks
  8. Darn Tough Marino Wool Socks
Mid Layer
  1. SmartWool Midnight Crew Top
  2. SmartWool Midnight Crew Top
  3. UnderArmour Men’s HeatGear Armour Compression Leggings
  4. UnderArmour Men’s HeatGear Armour Compression Leggings
Insulating Layer
  1. REI Co-Op Quarter-Zip Fleece Pullover
  2. REI Co-Op Quarter-Zip Fleece Pullover
Outerwear
  1. Columbia Men’s 700 Down Jacket Omni Heat
  2. Columbia Men’s Watertight II Jacket
  3. Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pant
  4. REI Talusphere Pants (Waterproof/Windproof)
Footwear
  1. Oboz Bridger BDry Hiking Boots
  2. Vibram Five Fingers
Cold Gear
  1. The North Face Logo Beanie
  2. Dorfman Pacific All-Season Crushable Hat
  3. Buff Polar Reversible Buff
  4. Marmot Basic Work Gloves
  5. SmartWool Cozy Gloves
Washing Kit
  1. Sea to Summit Wilderness Wash Soap - 3 fl oz
  2. Sea to Summit Trek and Travel Laundry Wash - 3 fl oz
  3. Toothpaste
  4. Toothbrush
  5. REI MultiTowel Lite XL
  6. Razor
  7. Lip Balm
  8. Vaseline
  9. Anti-Bacterial Hand Soap
  10. Deodorant
  11. Medications
First Aid Kit
  1. Travel Sewing Kit
  2. Band-Aids
  3. Aleve
  4. Moleskin
  5. Neosporin
  6. Alcohol Wipes
  7. Immodium
Electronics
  1. Cannon PowerShot SX-120 IS
  2. SD Cards
  3. iPod
  4. iPhone
  5. iPhone Charger
  6. iPod/iPhone Cable
  7. Bose Earphones
  8. Mophie Powerstation
  9. Extra Batteries
Valuables
  1. Passport
  2. Airline / Rail Tickets
  3. Wallet
  4. Credit Card
  5. Cash
  6. Health Insurance
  7. Pilgrim Credential
  8. Plastic Bag
Miscellaneous
  1. Black Diamond Storm Headlamp
  2. Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork Trekking Poles - Pair
  3. Extra AAA Batteries
  4. Hydro Flask - 24 oz
  5. Para Cord (Clothesline)
  6. Safety Pins
  7. John Brierley Guidebook
  8. Prescription Sunglasses
  9. Prescription Eyeglasses
  10. Small Rock

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Swim4Gold. You don't say which Camino you are walking and what your start point is.

Others far more experienced tahn I will soon chip in, but here's my 2 cents worth.

Of course we all differ, in terms of:

1. Our level of fitness/strength and the weight we can carry.
  2. The level of discomfort we are prepared to put up with.
  3. How 'hot' we get whilst walking or sleeping.
I tend to walk and sleep 'hot'. I'm well insulated :oops: Though hopefully that will change significanty for #3 in 2018.
My first Camino was from St Jean starting late April, so comments are based on that.

Temps ranged from 2-35 C. The 2 crossing the Pyrenees (though sunny) and the 35C just a couple of days during May on the middle stages. Mostly it was 20-25 C.

Do you really need 2 sets of mid layer? Would they dry overnight when washed? You might not use them much anyway.
Personally I wouldn't take the down jacket. You have plenty of layers and can always double up if required.
2 x Insulating layers? Again, could you manage with 1?
2 lots of gloves? Could you make do with 1? Are they for different purposes?

First Aid kit. Don't take too much of each item, you can replenish easily along that way (on the CF at least)

Power Station. Do you really need that?
Spare Batteries? Are these special batteries? AA, AAA etc you can buy as you go.

I also took the Brierley Guidebook as the maps are really good. But I scanned it onto my phone. Worked well.

Otherwise it looks like a good list! Pack size is good too.

Lastly..........a very personal thing. I'm not sure how practical Vibram Five Fingers will be. Probably OK to walk around in the evening... But I can't imagine they would be that great as backup walking footwear. Of course there are many options.... I took Teva sandals as my 'off duty' footwear, on the basis that if my feet needed a break from my boots for whatever reason, I could also walk in my sandals. Again, just personal choice and wanting to have a backup plan for my feet.

The Five Fingers don't look like they would allow your feet to 'breath' much, as they will want to in the evenings... Just another thought.

What kind of weather am I really looking at?
We'll have to rely on you to report back on that. Meanwhile, I suggest that you prepare for almost anything, by taking versatile layers. But simply taking two of everything is not a good approach.

You have way too many clothes and wouldn't get under 15 pounds with what you have listed. You need enough clothes to layer up for the coldest and wettest day, in which case you are wearing everything except one layer that is kept dry for the evening. You probably won't ever have to wear all those layers, but I think it is prudent to be prepared. The hats, gloves and buff will help a lot.

You only need to wear one outfit (your evening clothes) while you wash your clothes. You don't need a selection. Thus you can leave behind: one mid layer top, one pair of leggings, one fleece, one pair boxer shorts, one pair of gloves. Maybe take all 3 pairs of socks because socks are essentials.

You will never likely need the down jacket for walking, but it could be nice in the evening. When your body is tired, you feel the evening chill, and it is wonderful to have a down jacket. Then you could possibly do without any fleece insulating layer.

As @Robo suggested, AA and AAA batteries are readily available. Do take the 2-round-pin adaptor for the European outlets.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think you are overdoing it, here is my opinion:
1 capeline or silk not both
1 leggin not two
1 qt zip not two
replace columbia dawn for a lightweight one like a patagonia or montbel synthetic ,it does not loose insulation if gets wet
replace the 5 fingers for crocs (you can walk, shower and lounge around)
replace your long convertible pants and water proof pants for 1 patagonia Hudini, if really cold use the legging under or carry a synthetic long johns pants (good for sleeping too)
Add ultralight runners shorts (good to sleep or walk if is hot and to put over the leggings hahaha mens and leggings are not a pretty sight :)

Just my opinion Buen Camino Happy New Year :)

Zzotte

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back