• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First camino; starting last few days from SJPDP

calling Chloē

preparing for first Camino in spring 2016
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés March/April 2016
Hello there everyone. Flight booked to arrive in Paris mid March and slowly mosey my way down to SJPDP hoping to start my first camino sometime the last week of March 2016. Some newbie questions:
  • Those who have walked in later days of March and April in recent years - how was the weather? Is a light fleece and rain coat (like so many mention) enough for these early spring months? I don't want to carry a bulky fleece if i don't have to, but even more don't want me freezing my bum off to deter from my enjoyment of this; especially the first few stages. any insight/recommendations much appreciated!

• Has anyone mixed the camino Francés and the camino del Norte (walk, take bus north, walk, take bus south, etc). I've read that newbs should stick to Francés, but I'd really like to enjoy some coastal walking (San Sebastian, Guernica, Santander for Palacio de la Magdalena, others). I've read that el Norte is beautiful, but lots of road and black pavement -- which doesn't sound so lovely. For those who have meshed the Francés and el Norte, any 'must walk' stretches along either (for beauty, culture, or history)? very curious what others experiences are w/ this
SO THRILLED for this opportunity, time away from busy life and overwhelming work. hoping to find peace and parts of myself during my time Spain. buen camino!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello there everyone. Flight booked to arrive in Paris mid March and slowly mosey my way down to SJPDP hoping to start my first camino sometime the last week of March 2016. Some newbie questions:
  • Those who have walked in later days of March and April in recent years - how was the weather? Is a light fleece and rain coat (like so many mention) enough for these early spring months? I don't want to carry a bulky fleece if i don't have to, but even more don't want me freezing my bum off to deter from my enjoyment of this; especially the first few stages. any insight/recommendations much appreciated!

• Has anyone mixed the camino Francés and the camino del Norte (walk, take bus north, walk, take bus south, etc). I've read that newbs should stick to Francés, but I'd really like to enjoy some coastal walking (San Sebastian, Guernica, Santander for Palacio de la Magdalena, others). I've read that el Norte is beautiful, but lots of road and black pavement -- which doesn't sound so lovely. For those who have meshed the Francés and el Norte, any 'must walk' stretches along either (for beauty, culture, or history)? very curious what others experiences are w/ this
SO THRILLED for this opportunity, time away from busy life and overwhelming work. hoping to find peace and parts of myself during my time Spain. buen camino!!

Chloe:

Welcome to the forum.

I have walked all my Camino's in the March/April time frame. The weather can vary quite a bit. The mornings in the mountains can be in the 20's Fahrenheit. I usually wear a long sleeve Under Armor shirt with a fleece. If it is very windy/rainy, I wear my rain gear. The Meseta can get quite warm 80's Fahrenheit. I have had Camino's 2012 where it rained almost every day and others where it rained about 5 days total. Prepare for the worst and except what you get. Something to consider, my comfort level could be very different than yours.

If you want to combine Camino's with the Frances, I would make that decision in Leon. At that point, you could head North to Oviedo on the Salvador (sparsely traveled route}, then walk the Primitivo or continue on to the Norte. The main issue with this type of change is you will lose continuity with the Camino family you have established. That said, you could possibly meet again in Santiago.

Whatever you decide, I am sure it will be the best one for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Welcome Chloé, you have a great adventure ahead of you. My advise would be to layer up on clothes rather than one heavy garment. A merino T shirt and two light fleeces, one full zip, the other quarter zip and even a shirt or blouse if you wish. Choose your size so that the full zip fleece fits over the Quarter zip. I would also recommend a rain jacket and lightweight rain pants for that time of year.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will be walking my first Camino in April, so can't speak to the weather there. But I have been trying out my possible combinations to make my final decisions. I find that my light, quality Arteryx fleece, with wind jacket, over a wool short sleeved shirt and tech shirt, has kept me quite comfortable down to 13 degree F (-10C). Take advantage of that crazy midwest weather to see what works for you!

Good luck and Buen Camino.

I'd really like to enjoy some coastal walking
Hi Chloe,

Most newbies go for the Camino Frances as it is well serviced and you will get to meet lots of lovely people. For a great coastal experience, after Santiago head for Finisterre and/or Muxia. You will never regret that.

Buen Camino,

Mike

Hi Cloé,

My wife and I walked the Francés in mid-April to late-May 2010, and the weather was variable, to say the least. Walking over the Pyrenees we had glorious sunny weather, mid-teens (celsius) and perfect for walking. A few days later, we had dense fog and light rain and mud climbing Alto de Perdón. The weather while we walked the meseta was generally good, but from about Astorga on, it got chilly (due to the altitude, I think) and going over O Cebreiro, and for the following 2 or 3 days we had snow, sleet and rain (and some of the albergues were unheated). Not nice! At one point along there, we pulled out our second pairs of socks for mitts.

I'm not forecasting your weather, obviously, but within the limits of keeping your pack light, IMO you should be at least mentally prepared for a wide range of conditions. Remember, however, that you can always find things, like fleeces or better/different rain gear, in the bigger cities (like Pamplona, Burgos, León, Astorga) and some of the smaller ones, if you need to. Most of all, enjoy your camino, whatever it may bring.

Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Check out past year's weather from different parts of Spain on www.wunderground.com
Of course no way to predict it, but it gives you some idea what to expect from one end of the Camino to the other.
Cheers

Joe - appreciate your insight; I'm coming to terms with expecting rain, snow, it all (it is spring after all!!); just hopefully wishing to see lovely blossoming landscape in the sunshine too. will roll with whatever I encounter!

Mike - the plan is to carry along after Santiago ... to the end of the Spanish world .. after that it's south to the true end of the world (southern Portugal; and by bus/train ;). Have you walked el Norte at all? I really should consider simply absorbing Francés this first time, and if life allows -- return for el Norte and enjoy that in its own right.

Seabird/Wayfarer - layers layers layers. I'm catching on :) our winter has been mild so the true variable weather on the Camino might shock my system if there is lots of rain/snow. thanks for your insight!! and Buen Camino to you as well!! Glad to hear from another pilgrim who will set out in early spring! suerte!!

ramble-on/Mark: getting there on becoming 'mentally prepared' for come what may; . thanks for the reminder that I need not carry it all; there will be options along the way. Your experience over the Pyrenees sounds blissful!

THANK YOU ALL. I'm thrilled to surrender to whatever happens along this journey - the community and challenges, and it can't start soon enough!! thanks for well wishes ---- salud y buen camino a tod@s!

Hi, calling Chloē,
If you are tempted to see the Norte, start in Irun and walk just for 3 days:
Irun - San Sebastian, San Sebastian- Zarautz, and Zarautz-Deba.
Those are wonderful 3 stages of del Norte that can't be missed :)
They have their alternative options that make those stretches even more beautiful:
click to see PICTURE 1 "the Alpinista Route" between Irun and Passajes,
click to see PICTURE 2 "the Flysh Route" between Zumaia and Deba
From Deba, it is so easy to get back on Camino Frances: there is an hourly Euskotrain to San Sebastian, and from there frequent buses from San Sebastian to Pamplona. You can be on the Camino Frances within 2-3 hours!
In my opinion, walking the "Alpinista Route" from Irun is a good replacement for the "Napoleon Route" from SJPP, when the pass is closed for the winter!
Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As of right now the trail over the mountains from SJPDP is closed until April 1 and later if necessary depending on the snow. I live in Washington state where the weather is comparable. Smart Wool is great, short sleeve base layer and SW long underwear if necessary. One long sleeved SM shirt and then light fleece with rain wear as necessary. In case I of extreme cold I carry a light weight 90z down vest. We are starting or walk on March 19 from SJPDP.

Ultreya
Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.